The Firearm Thread

Georgy Zhukov

Digression: Just started reading Bernhard Cornwell's series on Richard Sharpe, a redcoat soldier. Apparently the series has been filmatized with Sean Bean as the main actor.

Brilliant show. 16 2 hour movies so far.

Many of the engineers that work for me have carry licenses for hand guns.

I have no desire to get a carry license and I am not a gun nut by any means but have been thinking about getting one for home defense. Just not sure if it should be a 9mm or a pump shotgun.

Any suggestions from my fellow American gun fanatics?

im pretty much the same as you in that i really dont carry my gun, it stays in a lock box in my closet and my 12 gauge is on a rack above my bed but i have a trigger lock on it. both handgun and 12 gauge are great for home defense, i mean someone pumping the shells into the chamber of a 12 gauge will scare the shit out of everyone. you can get some decent 9mm for a good price and they are cheap to shoot, me personally i would go with a .45(its what i have) its a little heavier but it has more stopping power and the price isnt too bad to shoot, and they are built to last thats for sure.

Yeah can't go wrong with either. For me, the shotgun is just boss. Like he said, the sound of a 12ga. pumping is intimidating. And if you aren't familiar with shooting, it's still hard to miss with a shotgun. A handgun, if you aren't an experienced shooter, you can easily miss something right in front of you. That shotgun aint missing. It's just kind of heavy and kicks like a mule.

And yeah forget the 9. Popular for cheap price and cheap ammo. There's a reason cops upgraded from 9s to .40 cals a few years back. Go with something like that or .45.

Yeah, shotgun shot spreads out before you, pump actions are literally for killing people, there is no real other use for them than that, you cant exactly hunt anything with em, they have fuck all range and i suppose they're not meant to. Good bit of advice actually. But what i would say is if you're buying a shotgun for home protection and you haven't so much as fired a handgun in your life maybe get some practise. I imagine some folks might find it difficult to even cock them and as for the kick well you better be fuckin' holding on, it's not unheard of for people to drop em not suspecting the kicking.

9mm are weird if you got big hands, they feel uncomfy and you feel less like...in control of them. I fuckin' love guns. What I'd like though is one of those high powered sniper rifles, that Heckler and Koch stuff. THAT is real shooting, that dead eye aim shit, thats the difference between a real gun kiddie and just someone whoose fuckin' about.

Edited by Len B'stard

Digression: Just started reading Bernhard Cornwell's series on Richard Sharpe, a redcoat soldier. Apparently the series has been filmatized with Sean Bean as the main actor.

Brilliant show. 16 2 hour movies so far.

Thanks! I will remember to watch it after having read the series. Only read the first book in the series, but loving it so far :)

I have no desire to get a carry license and I am not a gun nut by any means but have been thinking about getting one for home defense. Just not sure if it should be a 9mm or a pump shotgun.

im pretty much the same as you in that i really dont carry my gun, it stays in a lock box in my closet and my 12 gauge is on a rack above my bed but i have a trigger lock on it. both handgun and 12 gauge are great for home defense, i mean someone pumping the shells into the chamber of a 12 gauge will scare the shit out of everyone. you can get some decent 9mm for a good price and they are cheap to shoot, me personally i would go with a .45(its what i have) its a little heavier but it has more stopping power and the price isnt too bad to shoot, and they are built to last thats for sure.

Yeah can't go wrong with either. For me, the shotgun is just boss. Like he said, the sound of a 12ga. pumping is intimidating. And if you aren't familiar with shooting, it's still hard to miss with a shotgun. A handgun, if you aren't an experienced shooter, you can easily miss something right in front of you. That shotgun aint missing. It's just kind of heavy and kicks like a mule.

And yeah forget the 9. Popular for cheap price and cheap ammo. There's a reason cops upgraded from 9s to .40 cals a few years back. Go with something like that or .45.

Yeah, shotgun shot spreads out before you, pump actions are literally for killing people, there is no real other use for them than that, you cant exactly hunt anything with em, they have fuck all range and i suppose they're not meant to. Good bit of advice actually. But what i would say is if you're buying a shotgun for home protection and you haven't so much as fired a handgun in your life maybe get some practise. I imagine some folks might find it difficult to even cock them and as for the kick well you better be fuckin' holding on, it's not unheard of for people to drop em not suspecting the kicking.

9mm are weird if you got big hands, they feel uncomfy and you feel less like...in control of them. I fuckin' love guns. What I'd like though is one of those high powered sniper rifles, that Heckler and Koch stuff. THAT is real shooting, that dead eye aim shit, thats the difference between a real gun kiddie and just someone whoose fuckin' about.

pump actions are great for duck hunting and things like that, you can deer hunt with shotguns very effectively.

pump actions are great for duck hunting and things like that, you can deer hunt with shotguns very effectively.
Really? Surely you'd damage em with a pump? And it'd have to be pretty close to the deer :lol: Edited by Len B'stard

Really? Surely you'd damage em with a pump? And it'd have to be pretty close to the deer :lol:

with a 12 gauge and a slug you can shoot accurately to 100-125 yards no problem with people getting kills 150-170 yards out.

Really? Surely you'd damage em with a pump? And it'd have to be pretty close to the deer :lol:

with a 12 gauge and a slug you can shoot accurately to 100-125 yards no problem with people getting kills 150-170 yards out.

About any type of bird hunting I know is done with shotgun. Higher gauges like 16 or 20 gauge mostly. With bird shot.

I see a lot of deer hunting with shotguns too. Like out a tree stand. It will damage them if you just blast them in the side or something. Most people move up to rifles for deer.

That's where it gets interesting. Dropping something across a field 250 yards away is no joke.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-heres-what-happens-when-you-open-gun-store-middle-nyc-163523

:ph34r:

Genuinely interested the rebuttal from you guys. If the article is tl;dr, at least watch the video :P .

Hoho! Just read the opening paragraph:

The point of the PSA is to debunk the perception, held by six in 10 Americans, that owning a firearm makes a home safer. In fact, according to studies, those who own a gun—and those around them—have an increased risk of injury and death.

This is actually what I have been thinking all the time -- happy to hear it is true :)