Rob Ford thread

Zint

I've tried to defend the guy, but he's a total goof. I guess it just gets to me that people are up in arms about something stupid (but benign) that Ford does, but when politicians are corrupt or wasteful it's like that's no big deal. Why? Because that's the norm, but with Ford he's so off-the-wall that it holds people's interest? Sorry, but that's not the way it should be. That said, with Ford it's one thing after the next, a bunch of benign things (and some that aren't quite so harmless) when taken one at a time, but there seems to be an endless supply. At some point the man needs to learn how an adult is expected to act in society and in his position.

Edited by KBear

I've tried to defend the guy, but he's a total goof. I guess it just gets to me that people are up in arms about something stupid (but benign) that Ford does, but when politicians are corrupt or wasteful it's like that's no big deal. Why? Because that's the norm, but with Ford he's so off-the-wall that it holds people's interest? Sorry, but that's not the way it should be. That said, with Ford it's one thing after the next, a bunch of benign things (and some that aren't quite so harmless) when taken one at a time, but there seems to be an endless supply. At some point the man needs to learn how an adult is expected to act in society and in his position.

I agree and glad you recognize the foolishness that is the attempt to defend Rob Ford. I'll admit that most of what he does is relatively harmless and I don't doubt that he means well. Far more harmful than anything Rob Ford has done was the cancellation of the gas-energy plants by the Liberals to save two seats. If I had to choose between what Rob Ford has done and what Dalton McGuinty has cost the province of Ontario I'd rather take Rob Ford. But at least McGuinty fessed up to his misdeeds and resigned from his post (though i can't say he's taken full responsibility).

What irritates most people about Ford is how he sticks to the refrain "I'm fighting for the little guy, I put the interests of the city first; I'm the most honest politician around" when he clearly doesn't or isn't. You just know that if it were someone else as Mayor and Ford was just a councilmen he'd be up in arms and crying foul. Torontonians do enough to make ourselves look like idiots to outsider, the last thing we need is a big sweaty hamburger of a mascot generating headlines around the world. Most politicians operate out of a sense of entitlement, but Rob takes it to another level.

Personally, I'm looking forward to three things. First, October 27th, 2014 can't come fast enough so we can boot this guy from office. With several conservative-leaning candidates running, it should split the vote and allow for a more moderate candidate to win next year regardless of how popular Ford remains. Second, I can't wait to see the video and watch how Ford tries to spin that. My guess it will be along the lines that it's not actually crack in the pipe but some other form of stimulant. Third, I really want to find out what is on the second video the police recovered. It's supposedly quite something but the few people who have seen it haven't disclosed its contents. I'll admit my voyeur side is getting the better part of me, but after a half year of speculation I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't want to see what exactly has kept Rob so busy running from the truth.

Yep. The next time you hear a Canadian make fun of an American for electing George W. Bush as President, ask them if they're from Toronto. If they are, they are in no position to judge.

He wasn't elected as president / prime minister genius.

He's a lowly city mayor.

You should read his statement again, genius.

And now Ford's city councillor brother brother Bullwinkle - er, Doug is calling on the police chief to resign because he feels the Chief is "biased" against Ford. *facepalm*

What irritates most people about Ford is how he sticks to the refrain "I'm fighting for the little guy, I put the interests of the city first; I'm the most honest politician around" when he clearly doesn't or isn't. You just know that if it were someone else as Mayor and Ford was just a councilmen he'd be up in arms and crying foul. Torontonians do enough to make ourselves look like idiots to outsider, the last thing we need is a big sweaty hamburger of a mascot generating headlines around the world. Most politicians operate out of a sense of entitlement, but Rob takes it to another level.

Christopher Hume has as good a bead on why Ford continues to have support as I've seen. Coles notes version: While Ford has almost literally zero support in Toronto proper, his schtick plays well in the suburbs that make up the "mega-city". http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/04/suburban_outlook_undergirds_ford_nations_support_hume.html

Personally, I'm looking forward to three things. First, October 27th, 2014 can't come fast enough so we can boot this guy from office. With several conservative-leaning candidates running, it should split the vote and allow for a more moderate candidate to win next year regardless of how popular Ford remains.

Two words: Olivia Chow.

And now Ford's city councillor brother brother Bullwinkle - er, Doug is calling on the police chief to resign because he feels the Chief is "biased" against Ford. *facepalm*

Christopher Hume has as good a bead on why Ford continues to have support as I've seen. Coles notes version: While Ford has almost literally zero support in Toronto proper, his schtick plays well in the suburbs that make up the "mega-city". http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/04/suburban_outlook_undergirds_ford_nations_support_hume.html

Personally, I'm looking forward to three things. First, October 27th, 2014 can't come fast enough so we can boot this guy from office. With several conservative-leaning candidates running, it should split the vote and allow for a more moderate candidate to win next year regardless of how popular Ford remains.

If by "suburbs" you mean right outside of the downtown core (who are mainly renters) then I agree with that statement. Even in the downtown core Smitherman only won a few ridings by a majority.

Olivia Chow is amazing (i live in her riding) and grew in in Jack's riding.

Toronto_mayoral_election_results_by_ward

Edited by Coma16

downzy - I mayor Ford makes it to the end of his term then I suspect that he will run again. If (big if) he runs again he will win. Crazy isn't it?

He won't win. The dynamics of the last election won't repeat themselves. Forget for a second that many people who voted for Ford last time simply just wanted a change, Ford was assisted greatly by having the left/centre vote split over several candidates. Support from the conservative/populist was consolidated into one candidate: Ford.

That won't happen next year. It's rumored that Olivia Chow has ensured that other potential high profile candidates who lean left won't run against her (most notably, Adam Vaughan). But conservative candidates will come out of the wood work looking to stiffen off support from Ford's coalition. The right vote will be split by Ford, Stintz, and possibly John Tory (though I'm doubtful he'll end up running - he just floats his name out there for publicity purposes).

Even if it were a heads up race between Ford and Chow, every poll taken has indicated that Chow wins in a landslide. She even beats Ford in Etobicoke.

If by "suburbs" you mean right outside of the downtown core (who are mainly renters) then I agree with that statement. Even in the downtown core Smitherman only won a few ridings by a majority.

Olivia Chow is amazing (i live in her riding) and grew in in Jack's riding.

Toronto_mayoral_election_results_by_ward

Not sure how you define "a few," but according to your map Smitherman won 13 out of 44 ridings. Not a majority of course, but still one-third of all ridings, which I would consider more than just a few.

It'll be very interesting to see how it all pans out, that's for sure!

The map was only showing that the myth that Ford is only supported in the burbs is nonsense. Even though Smitherman won 13 ridings, a lot of them were much closer than Ford-oppossers make it out to be.

No, the election wasn't close, I'll admit that. But I seriously doubt that the next election will be such a cakewalk for Ford. He's now a known entity to the entire city. Many of my friends who voted for Ford have no intention on voting for him again - despite the fact that they think he's done a half-decent job.

What I'm not sure of is if Ford has spent much time thinking about how by not coming clean now on all matters he's hurting his own cause. Lisi's court case will play out for another year - meaning that if Ford thinks he can simply "ride out the storm" he's ignoring how the story will remain relevant for the foreseeable future. There's supposedly a lot more to come out out (second video!) and when the crack video does come to light it will reignite the public's interest all over again.

I think that's why Ford wants the video to come out now. The closer to the election date the more harm it will have on his re-election chances (how he even has a chance with its eventual release is mind blowing). You can read between the lines of Police Chief Blaire's press conference - he's not a fan of Ford (then again, who can blame him, considering the stuff he likely knows about the guy but can't speak out of respect for proper legal protocol). By making it public that the video exists but not actually releasing the video it will keep the public's interest for far longer than if the video were released at the time of its disclosure. This story is going to have legs.

Edited by downzy

Saw this comment somewhere, made me laugh:

"Oh, well it was during a drunken stupor, so get off his back! I do all sorts of things during drunken stupors I wouldn't normally do, so we get a pass for that stuff. I think I'll try that defense if I ever find myself in court."

• Like 1

The sad irony in all of this is that the crack use really isn't the story anymore. Like the old saying goes, the cover up is often worse than the crime.

Had Ford come out like he did today when the allegations first came out might have escaped it.

But now we have one of his closest friends facing charges on extortion regarding the video. That's now the more serious matter.

I'm amazed that the Fords didn't co-ordinate better. Doug demanding the Police Chief step down this morning now looks especially ridiculous.

But Ford is still telling half-truths about the whole thing, saying that he didn't lie but just wasn't asked the right questions. Like downzy said, the repeated denials make the whole things worse and I suspect there's more to come.

And yeah, the drunken stupor line is classic. It'll be everyone's go to excuse here in TO for a while :)

The sad irony in all of this is that the crack use really isn't the story anymore. Like the old saying goes, the cover up is often worse than the crime.

Had Ford come out like he did today when the allegations first came out might have escaped it.

But now we have one of his closest friends facing charges on extortion regarding the video. That's now the more serious matter.

I don't think he initially came out with it because there is more to the story - like murder on King St W!

sort of like clinton with the whole monica thing. it is always better to get out in front of a situation than try to cover it up and hope it goes away.

sort of like clinton with the whole monica thing. it is always better to get out in front of a situation than try to cover it up and hope it goes away.

Yep. It likely feels very counter-intuitive, but owning up to your mistakes as soon as they happen is the best way for public figures to get ahead of them. Look at how David Letterman handled his situation a few years ago. Though with Clinton, he lied about getting a blow job, not a crime in and of itself. But the lie itself did constitute a crime.