Rob Ford thread

Zint

If he doesn't step down and if he gets rid of that bullshit municipal land-transfer tax then I will vote for him if he runs next year. A lot of "ifs" but there, I said it!

Please move to Alberta!

You gotta love democracy!

I don't think he'll last to the end of his term though.

They're saying that he's now likely to take some time off. I hope so more for his case than the city's. As much as I'm not a fan of his performance as mayor, I don't want to see the guy die.

I think, more than anything, he needs to start being upfront and honest about everything. Even his admissions this week have come with lies. "You didn't ask the right questions." "It was in a drunken stupor." If he can't man up and stop making excuses for himself he's going to lose a lot of support. People will forgive if you ask them to. But he seems, as of now, incapable of even taking full responsibility for his behavior and problems. If he wants to make a come back, it has to start with be completely open as to his relationships with those involved in the drug business, how long he has had a problem for, and how he plans to over come those problems. Baring, that I don't know how any sane individual would vote for him again regardless of his policies.

And no, he's never going to get rid of (at least not completely) the land-transfer tax. It's the only thing that's keeping Toronto's balance sheets in the black. If he were successful in repealing that, he'd have to start defending yearly deficits.

He shouldn't just step down; he should be facing criminal charges.

Yeah, no doubt. I really have to wonder why the police did not move in on him once they witnessed him accepting strange packages from his drug dealer. What a missed opportunity.

The problem now is that you can't convict someone of drug use after the fact. Even if they admit it, you need access to the drug in question for the case to hold up in court. Otherwise it's impossible to prove that it was indeed the drug in question, even if the person accused of the crime believes it was the drug in question.

Something is wrong if the land-transfer tax is the only thing that's keeping Toronto afloat (hopefully Ford or the next in line fix what previous Mayors messed up). We're the only city in Canada who has this cash-grab tax and it is time for it to go. Our road and infrastructure are being used (and clogged) by the 905-ers and we're paying for it. We need to tax them somehow...

Yeah, that's the issue - at this stage a criminal case would be like trying to grab a handful of mist. I'm not too familiar with the case, but is there enough, from what is circulating in the media, to build conspiracy charges?

Well, what the police would need there would be for Ford's friend, Lisi, who is now facing charges (which brought about all the revelations in the first place) of extortion regarding his attempts to obtain the video, to roll on his friend.

It is without a doubt that Lisi was acting on Ford's behalf in attempting to obtain the crack video. But Ford asking Lisi to do this is not a crime. How Lisi went about doing that is a crime. If it can be proven that Ford instructed Lisi to commit those tactics, then yes, Ford could be charged. But fortunately for Ford, such evidence does not seem to exist. Considering the most recent video, where a coked out Ford is boasting about how he'd kill someone, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to imagine that such a conversation occurred ("do whatever you need to do to get that tape back!").

The investigation is still ongoing, so who knows what will happen. As of now, Ford will not, in any circumstance unless charged with a crime, speak to police about the investigation. The fact that you have a sitting mayor refusing to answer police questions about a crime that involves his accomplices is rather disturbing, no?

Edited by downzy

But so long as Coma16 gets the land-transfer tax expunged, it's all good. :P

Something is wrong if the land-transfer tax is the only thing that's keeping Toronto afloat (hopefully Ford or the next in line fix what previous Mayors messed up). We're the only city in Canada who has this cash-grab tax and it is time for it to go. Our road and infrastructure are being used (and clogged) by the 905-ers and we're paying for it. We need to tax them somehow...

We're also the only city that pays almost all the bills for its transportation system.

And I agree, 905-ers who generally pay lower property taxes should be kicking in more money to use services that they don't pay for. Right now, highway tolls in and out of the city is probably the only way to go. My only problem with that is I don't think the transportation infrastructure to justify tolls. At least in cities like London and New York there are proper public transportation systems where leaving your car at home makes logistical and economic sense. But Toronto is a long way off from that achievement.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

LOL to everyone who thought he was just about to step down in the presser a few minutes ago

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would ever think he'd ever do something so rational at this point.

This guy is not leaving the mayor's office unless he's being led by handcuffs or wheeled out on a stretcher.

Oh, just to keep the rest of you updated in regards to this story, yesterday more allegations came out that suggested that the Mayor, on the night of March 17th, 2012, used cocaine and oxycontin, brought a prostitute into the Mayor's office with a few other people he was partying with, physically assaulted one of his staff members, and when he was returned home in an inebriated state he immediately got in his vehicle and drove away.

He was also questioned on the floor of city hall yesterday, where he was asked if he still had a zero tolerance on matters of guns, drugs, and gangs. Ford said he did. He was then asked if he had purchased illegal drugs in the last two years. He admitted he had. When asked if he thought he had an addiction problem with either drugs or alcohol, he said he does not.

And the circus continues...

Here's the video of this morning's press conference:

http://www.thestar.com/news/2013/11/14/rob_ford_shocking_statement.html

Line you'd never expect to hear a sitting politician say. "She said that I said that I want to eat her pussy... I never said that in my life to her. I would never do that. I'm happily married, I've got more than enough to eat at home."

W.T.F.!?!?!

This might deserve its own thread (and that thread might be better off in the GNR section), but I was thinking that a musical about Rob Ford would fit perfectly with GNR's catalogue.

"Rob Ford: Get in the Ring" - A GNR Musical.

Think how appropriate GNR's catalogue would be with the events swirling around Rob Ford. Mr. Brownstown, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, You're Crazy, Get in The Ring, Sorry, The Garden, Nightrain, November Rain - all songs that could fit if they were positioned properly in the story.

I was thinking the other day about the eventual Rob Ford movie and as imagining what songs would work for the soundtrack when it occurred to me that too many GNR songs would work. Then I got the idea that this would be a great vehicle for a GNR musical.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 2

Best of all, Ford's approval rating after he admitted to using crack is still 40%.

"I like the job he's doing," says Grant Hackley, 63, who works in security. "I figure it's his private life, and what he does in his private life shouldn't interfere with his job."

Gotta love voters, if you're an actor or resemble an actor you'll always have a good percentage of votes no matter what you do. :lol:

I'll tell you, it's bloody embarrassing as someone who lives in Toronto. Not only is Ford not making Toronto look good but his supporters are making matters worse. Now whenever Torontonians go anywhere people are going to ask if a) our Mayor really smoked crack; b) why would we still support him?

Thankfully he doesn't have a chance in hell in getting re-elected. 62 percent of voters would not vote for him in any circumstances - which is far lower than it should be but high enough that it's nearly impossible he ever gets re-elected. The only way that happens is if the center and center/left votes gets split and not one other preeminent conservative councilor runs as well. That's not going to happen next year, with Ford being flanked by two possible conservative candidates on the right and a very powerful candidate on the left (Chow).

Today the council strips Ford of his remaining powers that aren't guaranteed under city hall statute. He will be Mayor in name only with no real power.