Rob Ford thread

Zint

No one's really suggesting child abuse now. It's got no more weight than any of the weird Axl/Slash shit we see posted here on a daily basis :)

That said, I do believe there may be more serious allegations coming. But I think they're still in the drug vein and related to the extortion charges against Sandro Lisi.

A third video has been released of Ford in a rant (likely in one of his drunk stupors). Yep, that's my mayor.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/07/mayor_rob_ford_caught_in_video_rant.html

I don't think he is drunk in this one. Just (really) "in the moment" - almost like a fighter or sports athlete. Very MIke Tyson-esque lol

Crazy that he was being spied on that much. I hope he gets through it all and steps down for his own health.

A third video has been released of Ford in a rant (likely in one of his drunk stupors). Yep, that's my mayor.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/07/mayor_rob_ford_caught_in_video_rant.html

I don't think he is drunk in this one. Just (really) "in the moment" - almost like a fighter or sports athlete. Very MIke Tyson-esque lol

Crazy that he was being spied on that much. I hope he gets through it all and steps down for his own health.

LOL, no, I don't think he's drunk. But he is high on something - most likely crack cocaine or cocaine. I've been around enough coke users (any one who works as a bartender or waiter has) to know when someone is on something. And Ford is definitely on something in this video.

Also, it's funny how people are taking issue with him being spied on or the amount of scrutiny he has received from the press (showing up at his house, being followed by a helicopter, etc.).

But I have to ask to those who take issue with the close surveillance of Ford, isn't clear that it's well deserved, warranted, and at this point, beneficial?

I would agree that such close monitor of a private citizen would be invasive and unjustified, but considering he's running the fourth largest city in North American (behind Mexico City, L.A. and New York), shouldn't someone with such responsibilities who also has issues with illegal substances and associates with questionable individuals be subjected to such scrutiny?

Now that we know there really is fire causing the smoke, it's probably in the best interest of the city and for Rob Ford himself to have the mayor personally monitored at all times.

Edited by downzy

Whoa!

Well that strongly suggests to me that Rob's smoked crack more than once.

He is fucking jacked there, that's not a just a booze rant.

If that's not crack, it's speed or some kind of upper mixed with alcohol, he can't stand still.

I noticed the water bottle on the table...for rehydration.

Nice to hear the mayor of Toronto talking about murdering someone. :confused:

Also, it's funny how people are taking issue with him being spied on or the amount of scrutiny he has received from the press (showing up at his house, being followed by a helicopter, etc.).

But I have to ask to those who take issue with the close surveillance of Ford, isn't clear that it's well deserved, warranted, and at this point, beneficial?

I would agree that such close monitor of a private citizen would be invasive and unjustified, but considering he's running the fourth largest city in North American (behind Mexico City, L.A. and New York), shouldn't someone with such responsibilities who also has issues with illegal substances and associates with questionable individuals be subjected to such scrutiny?

Now that we know there really is fire causing the smoke, it's probably in the best interest of the city and for Rob Ford himself to have the mayor personally monitored at all times.

So true.

These so called intrusions have at least pushed him to the point where he HAS admitted to smoking crack.

Where would things be otherwise?

"Ford Nation" claiming that the whole thing is a lefty nutjob conspiracy and lies being made up by the Star to try to oust him.

riiiiiiight

• Like 1

:lol:

The Daily Show should be good tonight!

Did you catch it. I missed some of the monologue, but what I found sad/funny was that Jon Stewart and Patrick Stewart couldn't stop talking about it throughout the interview.

Which is just goes to underscore how much damage Ford is doing to the reputation of the city. Now, whenever Torontonians go anywhere they'll be asked about our crack smoking mayor for decades.

Lol he's like a character Chris Farley would come up with on SNL.

Yep, we're so very proud of him in Toronto.

Actually, you've got to figure SNL might do something with this on tomorrow's show.

Edited by downzy

Forgetting the controversy for a moment, but is he a good or bad mayor? How have his fiscal policies been working out? Transport, taxes, crime....?

That's a tough question to answer for a few reasons. First, the mayoral position in Toronto comes with very little power. Unlike the mayoral system in places like New York and Chicago, which has far more authority, the only real power the Mayor of Toronto has is to decide who is on executive committees. Executive committees are generally those who will present options for the general council to pass or reject. The mayor is just one vote out of 45 council people. Toronto is largely run by bureaucrats. So Ford doesn't have a lot of room for his personal problems to affect his ability to run the city in the day-to-day. However, his personal problems do make him susceptible to extortion or blackmail. Regardless of how good at someone is at their job, you never want that person to be put into a position where they are compromised. This is where Ford has resided for the past year or more - though now that everything is starting to come out there's less concern over this.

But if you want an assessment against what Ford promised in his election campaign, he's done a so-so job. He has fulfilled some of his promises and broken others (which is typical of most politicians these days). He campaigned on lowering taxes, and in some respects he's been successful in that endeavor (got rid of a car tax). But he's also raised property taxes to help fund subway expansion. You could say that's a good thing, except he played a game of brinksmanship with the province for two years over who was ultimately going to have to raise taxes to pay for his subways - which cost the city hundreds of millions. We did have a Light Rapid Transit plan that Ford opposed and by scrapping it he cost the city $140 million. But he has shaved $2 million from the council's budget. One thing he did do that I agree with was contracting out garbage collection in certain parts of the city, which will ensure that there are less disruptions to the city's garbage collection going forward.

I wouldn't say he's been a terrible mayor with respect to policy. He hasn't been too fiscally reckless (unlike the current ruling provincial government, who wasted $1 billion on a power plant cancellation) and has done some good for the city. And I've got to think that he only want the best for the city. So in that respect I would say he's been alright. But for me, the personal problems are just too great to allow him to continue. Moreover, the way he handles himself and others is unbearable. He bullies those he doesn't like and shows little respect to opinions that counter his own. With respect to the scandal, he has called those who rightfully accused him of his faults as "pathological lairs" and has threatened to hurt certain journalists' careers if they don't give him the coverage that he wants. There are too many other well-qualified individuals who could carry on his platform that do not handle themselves in such a boorish and locker-room styled manner. And now that he's opened himself to possible extortion and blackmail opportunities, I just don't know how he thinks he's in any position to continue operating as mayor of Toronto.

Edited by downzy

Thanks for that, Downzy. I agree wholeheartedly that he should go - you simply cannot have a member of government or elected office smoking crack! He's lucky in that he should be facing criminal charges as well as calls for his job, but that is the same old story - those in power get away with things that you or I would get crucified and jailed for. It's crazy when you think of it - a Mayor of a major city is caught smoking Class A drugs and hanging around with gang-bangers and the general reaction is "well, that's Ford for ya!".

:lol:

The Daily Show should be good tonight!

Did you catch it. I missed some of the monologue, but what I found sad/funny was that Jon Stewart and Patrick Stewart couldn't stop talking about it throughout the interview.

Which is just goes to underscore how much damage Ford is doing to the reputation of the city. Now, whenever Torontonians go anywhere they'll be asked about our crack smoking mayor for decades.

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.