My review of Slash's show on 9/9/14

Iron MikeyJ

Mike I think you are missing the point. Slash doesn´t want to make history nor he wants to redefine rock music. He has band to make albums and he goes on tour with them. So he mix his catalogue with the GN´R classics that people in the audience want to hear. Conspirators is not meant to be a legendary band. If Slash is in a mood for an All Star Band he performs with KOC. Slash is still doing what he does best. He is still an amazing guitar player, one of the best in the world. When Slash is performing RQ and Anastasia he is also adding new riffs to them. He is making them even better

Axl on the other hand is messing with the GN´R legacy. It took Axl more than 10 years to make a forgetable album. His version of GN´R has been a revolving door. He has his housekeeper as the band manager. WTF??? The biggest problem I´m having with Axl is not that he plays WTTJ. It is that he doesn´t want to make more albums nor he wants to play one just one new song. And by new I don´t mean neither Prostitute nor Yesterdays. I mean The General or something else from his infamous Vault. There is never communication. Axl is using his twitter once in a blue moon to talk about a giraffe and breakfast. When us the fans want to know what the fuck is going with BBF and the band´s future.

No you are missing the point. I said all along that this was not to start an Axl vs Slash thread. I was expressing MY dissapointment with Slash's band at the concert I attended. That is all....

You shouted Axl's name repeatedly between songs to "be heard"??

Why not just publicly declare yourself a douche and be done with it?

For the record, I only did that after the gnr songs. Besides people have been giving Axl shit for years about no Slash. As a fan I'm not allowed to do the same to Slash??? Hmm.....

Translation - "Some fucking moron gave Axl shit at a GNR show over Slash, so as a rabid Axl fan I feel compelled to behave like a fucking moron at a Slash show to get revenge."

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

• Like 1

Mike I think you are missing the point. Slash doesn´t want to make history nor he wants to redefine rock music. He has band to make albums and he goes on tour with them. So he mix his catalogue with the GN´R classics that people in the audience want to hear. Conspirators is not meant to be a legendary band. If Slash is in a mood for an All Star Band he performs with KOC. Slash is still doing what he does best. He is still an amazing guitar player, one of the best in the world. When Slash is performing RQ and Anastasia he is also adding new riffs to them. He is making them even better

Axl on the other hand is messing with the GN´R legacy. It took Axl more than 10 years to make a forgetable album. His version of GN´R has been a revolving door. He has his housekeeper as the band manager. WTF??? The biggest problem I´m having with Axl is not that he plays WTTJ. It is that he doesn´t want to make more albums nor he wants to play one just one new song. And by new I don´t mean neither Prostitute nor Yesterdays. I mean The General or something else from his infamous Vault. There is never communication. Axl is using his twitter once in a blue moon to talk about a giraffe and breakfast. When us the fans want to know what the fuck is going with BBF and the band´s future.

No you are missing the point. I said all along that this was not to start an Axl vs Slash thread. I was expressing MY dissapointment with Slash's band at the concert I attended. That is all....

For the record, I only did that after the gnr songs. Besides people have been giving Axl shit for years about no Slash. As a fan I'm not allowed to do the same to Slash??? Hmm.....

Translation - "Some fucking moron gave Axl shit at a GNR show over Slash, so as a rabid Axl fan I feel compelled to behave like a fucking moron at a Slash show to get revenge."

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

That's the problem with his "Review". It's more the result of someone internalizing all the stupid Axl/Slash fan feud shit and then takes it out into the real world and projects onto the performer at the show. :rolleyes: Most of the shit that gets argued about(on both sides) has been bent, stretched and deliberately misconstrued to fit whatever agenda and has little tie back to reality. The telephone game on steroids.

Can't believe people take this stuff so seriously. :o

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

People were screaming Bon Fkn Jovi at the show I went to. People laugh at that, I doubt many would be mad at Mike. Of course, that excludes MyGnRForum users.

Slash does have a more difficult job, to go solo as a guitarist seems harder. And he's not a songwriter so much as a guitarist. I see Civil War and Coma as Slash songs, so why not do those? Bad Obsesdion, Brownstone, Nightrain seem like his jams. Rocket Queen too.

I just think he's trying to give the fans what they want and compete. Slash playing SCOM and PC is tempting.

Why quit Guns really? Wouldn't Slash have been better off playing with GNR all these years?

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Slash does have a more difficult job, to go solo as a guitarist seems harder. And he's not a songwriter so much as a guitarist. I see Civil War and Coma as Slash songs, so why not do those? Bad Obsesdion, Brownstone, Nightrain seem like his jams. Rocket Queen too.

I just think he's trying to give the fans what they want and compete. Slash playing SCOM and PC is tempting.

Why quit Guns really? Wouldn't Slash have been better off playing with GNR all these years?

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Why quit guns just to go out and play guns songs? Everyone likes to talk about how crazy or egotistical Axl is, but Slash quit. He fucking quit. If he wanted to please fans, he would have never of quit in the first place. Even Keith Richards told him not to quit, and he hates Jagger, but he stayed in the stones.

• Like 1

I'm not going to name posters, because I don't remember everything by heart and I won't go delving into old threads just for that. It's not that important to me to prove I'm right.

It's not about proving that you're right. This is not an argument, this is a discussion. I have been a longer member of this forum than you and I have never seen people complaining about Rose performing AFD, Lies or UYI songs. I requested the name of the posters who did (in case I, somehow, never noticed them) because the OP said that "Axl get bashed everyday because of it!", so it wouldn't be that hard to find them, don't you think? Why would you have to 'go delving into old threads' for that if Axl is bashed in a daily manner for performing Mr. Brownstone, a song that was written by Izzy and Slash.

So, I'll just rephrase it. I might call bashing what you think is reasonable criticism. I haven't been here for all these years, so my expectations were never that high to begin with. My expectations for GNR were gone by 1993, so I missed all that talk about erasing old GNR, all the new albums promised. My perception, merely from reading the forum, was that Slash played next to no GNR songs.

To me, it's quite clear they both still live off old GNR, although Slash has released much more music and has left GNR for almost 20 years, and Axl could have done so, so much more in all those years.

But what you call "bashing" does not exist and it never existed in this forum or any other. Why do I know this? Because it's stupid. Yes, people have criticized Axl for sounding like shit (me included), and for not changing the setlist when he has all this back catalog of songs to choose from, and because he doesn't move forward with a new album or new music, and... even for not performing enough CD songs but never for what you think is 'bashing'. That, has never existed.

I don't know if I'm blind or maybe you're confusing this forum with another but where did you read that Slash plays next to no Gn'R songs in his current sets? They just added You Could Be Mine for this tour, Sweet Child O' Mine has been performed in every show since 2010 and Paradise City is always the encore, so, explain to me how would anyone think or interpret that as "he plays next to no GN'R songs"? :lol:

No shit! Do they live off old Gn'R? Maybe it's because they built that band together? While Axl kept the name, and he's the fully owner of "Guns N' Roses", he doesn't own the music that band created. Let's remember that the criticism for Axl was not for performing the old songs, was for not moving forward with his current band, and becoming a nostalgia act and, let me point out that the ones criticizing were 'mostly' fans of the current line-up. Not even the ones who love old Gn'R.

For me, if Axl decides to perform the UYI catalog tomorrow, I'm happy - as long as he sounds like he did in 2010.

I'm not saying it's wrong at all. It would be a shame to never hear Axl and Slash perform those songs anymore. But personally, I wish they'd both be able to depend more on the stuff they did after AFD and UYI.

If you take in consideration that what the OP saw was half of the show Slash always performs, then I think Slash plays more of his songs. I haven't seen Slash perform yet and fuck no, I want to see him performing Gn'R songs, just like I wanted to hear the old songs when I went to see Axl in 2010. I understand that people want them performing their new stuff, well, for Axl, they want new stuff first so he can perform it, but see, not everyone had the pleasure to see the real deal back in the 90s.

As for the criticism about Axl not being able to sing those songs anymore, IMO he still does it infinitely better than Myles.

If out of breath, cracking vocals and forgetting lyrics is better than a guy who tries to do those songs justice, then I don't know what to tell you. For me, Myles sounds infinitely better than current Axl. Of course, that doesn't apply when Axl is on fire, which hasn't happened a lot since the end of 2010.

Sorry, I'm too stupid to split quotes. Your first point: if I could post names and posts about people bashing/criticizing... Axl about the old songs, I could prove that I'm right imo, but that's nitpicking. I would be delving in old threads because GNR has been on a break for a while, so it hasn't been mentioned these last weeks (that I've noticed anyway).

I'm pretty sure I'm not confusing this forum with another one, because this is the only one I've been reading (except TheGNRforum, but only general discussion threads so far).

And it was my perception that Slash didn't play GNR songs, so my bad if I totally misinterpreted it. If I read that Slash has moved on and has made so much great music since GNR (I don't dispute that), it is my perception that Slash doesn't rely on GNR anymore. I was just surprised to see that he still plays a lot of GNR stuff, again to me, because I know others think five songs aren't a lot.

I don't hate on Myles, but I'd rather hear Axl sing GNR songs. It's nothing personal, there's no one I'd rather have singing those songs. I know it's all subjective and it's fine that you think Myles sounds infinitely better than Axl, I don't feel the need to put you down because of it.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

People were screaming Bon Fkn Jovi at the show I went to. People laugh at that, I doubt many would be mad at Mike. Of course, that excludes MyGnRForum users.

You've lost me - who and how many were yelling Bon Fkn Jovi and who were they yelling this at?

Say you're at a Bumble solo show and he teases the beginning of an old Guns song or plays part of an instrumental and someone's shouting "Slash". That sort of thing isn't douchey to you? Would YOU ever do it? :lol:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Why quit guns just to go out and play guns songs? Everyone likes to talk about how crazy or egotistical Axl is, but Slash quit. He fucking quit. If he wanted to please fans, he would have never of quit in the first place. Even Keith Richards told him not to quit, and he hates Jagger, but he stayed in the stones.

2507104-4202826311-butth.png

Sorry, I'm too stupid to split quotes. Your first point: if I could post names and posts about people bashing/criticizing... Axl about the old songs, I could prove that I'm right imo, but that's nitpicking. I would be delving in old threads because GNR has been on a break for a while, so it hasn't been mentioned these last weeks (that I've noticed anyway).

Yes, you could prove it but like I said, it's not about that. When someone states it happens everyday, then it happens everyday. It should only take 5 minutes to find what it was supposedly happening everyday. You don't want to do it, I understand but I will insist that it has never happened because... that's right, it never happened.

I'm pretty sure I'm not confusing this forum with another one, because this is the only one I've been reading (except TheGNRforum, but only general discussion threads so far).

And it was my perception that Slash didn't play GNR songs, so my bad if I totally misinterpreted it. If I read that Slash has moved on and has made so much great music since GNR (I don't dispute that), it is my perception that Slash doesn't rely on GNR anymore. I was just surprised to see that he still plays a lot of GNR stuff, again to me, because I know others think five songs aren't a lot.

Your perception, was based on "what you read in this forum". They're your own words, not mine so it's impossible that you read that Slash plays next to no Gn'R songs. I don't know what you could have misinterpreted that lead you to think he didn't play Gn'R songs anymore. Since when? It doesn't make sense.

Slash has moved on, do you see him dwelling on the fact that he left Guns N' Roses in 1996? I mean, what does that have to do with him playing songs from the band he helped build? He also plays Snakepit and Velvet Revolver songs, is he dying to put Snakepit back together or to reunite with Scott Weiland for a VR tour? I don't get it. So now, 5 songs out of 20, are "a lot" to you. :rofl-lol: I'm doing my best to be reasonable but I just can't understand your logic.

Slash doesn't rely on Gn'R anymore, he doesn't sell products associated with Gn'R, he doesn't promote his band as Gn'R, he just plays the songs he helped write in that band as part of the full set list. It's not like he's playing 100% Gn'R songs all the time and even if he did, he has that right. :shrugs:

I don't hate on Myles, but I'd rather hear Axl sing GNR songs. It's nothing personal, there's no one I'd rather have singing those songs. I know it's all subjective and it's fine that you think Myles sounds infinitely better than Axl, I don't feel the need to put you down because of it.

I never said you hate Myles, you don't necessarily hate someone just because you don't like how they perform a song or two. I'm not even his fan, I don't think he sounds good on Gn'R songs, I just think that, in comparison with current Axl, he does a 1000000x better job.

Finally, I'm not putting you down because you prefer the out of breath cracking vocals forgetting lyrics performance of Axl Rose. You can like whatever you want. It's not my business.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Yes, you could prove it but like I said, it's not about that. When someone states it happens everyday, then it happens everyday. It should only take 5 minutes to find what it was supposedly happening everyday. You don't want to do it, I understand but I will insist that it has never happened because... that's right, it never happened.

Your perception, was based on "what you read in this forum". They're your own words, not mine so it's impossible that you read that Slash plays next to no Gn'R songs. I don't know what you could have misinterpreted that lead you to think he didn't play Gn'R songs anymore. Since when? It doesn't make sense.

Slash has moved on, do you see him dwelling on the fact that he left Guns N' Roses in 1996? I mean, what does that have to do with him playing songs from the band he helped build? He also plays Snakepit and Velvet Revolver songs, is he dying to put Snakepit back together or to reunite with Scott Weiland for a VR tour? I don't get it. So now, 5 songs out of 20, are "a lot" to you. :rofl-lol: I'm doing my best to be reasonable but I just can't understand your logic.

Slash doesn't rely on Gn'R anymore, he doesn't sell products associated with Gn'R, he doesn't promote his band as Gn'R, he just plays the songs he helped write in that band as part of the full set list. It's not like he's playing 100% Gn'R songs all the time and even if he did, he has that right. :shrugs:

I never said you hate Myles, you don't necessarily hate someone just because you don't like how they perform a song or two. I'm not even his fan, I don't think he sounds good on Gn'R songs, I just think that, in comparison with current Axl, he does a 1000000x better job.

Finally, I'm not putting you down because you prefer the out of breath cracking vocals forgetting lyrics performance of Axl Rose. You can like whatever you want. It's not my business.

^ The volcano of slash fans.

I don't think I said every day, but whatever. Yes, I think 5 in 20 songs is a lot, you can laugh all you want. (Maybe I would even be offended if I didn't get a ROFL from you.) Slash does rely on GNR, and no, he doesn't call his band like that because his band is not GNR. Again, yes, he has the right to play GNR songs. Maybe it was P4A saying something about hating on Myles.

I have no problems at all with Slash, with what he plays, how he plays it, not even with how Myles sings it. (I'm sure he does a much better job than most would.) I just think some posters are not really fair in their judgment of Axl and Slash. That's all.

Well my thread succeeded in giving us something to talk about, so there.

Your thread is fine. The comparison between Axl and Myles has left slash fans foaming at the mouth. :lol:

They act like its my fault that he just stands there and doesn't command the audience. He just is not entertaining to watch, even in the slightest. I have seen some bands live over the years that I'm not a big fan of; Papa Roach and Alien Ant Farm being two of them. But as far as entertainment value and Stage presence BOTH of those bands were better than Slash's band. Slash was doing his best, which was admirable. But the rest of the band was literally boring as hell. I can give the bassist and guitarist a break, but not the singer. As a singer in a band it is YOUR JOB to get the audience going, and he failed in that reguard. Like I said, I've seen better stage presence out of bar bands.

I don't think I said every day, but whatever. Yes, I think 5 in 20 songs is a lot, you can laugh all you want. (Maybe I would even be offended if I didn't get a ROFL from you.) Slash does rely on GNR, and no, he doesn't call his band like that because his band is not GNR. Again, yes, he has the right to play GNR songs. Maybe it was P4A saying something about hating on Myles.

I have no problems at all with Slash, with what he plays, how he plays it, not even with how Myles sings it. (I'm sure he does a much better job than most would.) I just think some posters are not really fair in their judgment of Axl and Slash. That's all.

No, you didn't but the OP did. You said "many posters here give GNR shit about living off the old stuff", introduce me to these posters, that's all I asked. You're refusing, once again, to prove it. Not my problem.

And I laugh at the ridiculousness of that statement. 25% can't be a lot, then how much is 51% or 70%? :lol: but hey, just keep trying to cover it up with "it's all my perception, in my opinion, subjectively speaking".

Maybe you don't know what "rely on" means? Or maybe I'm taking it too literal but Slash has released multiple album since he left Guns. Slash was part of VR, a well-established rock band. For his current shows he plays material from all his former bands and projects, which not only include Guns N' Roses but VR and Snakepit, along with material from Slash, Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire. I don't get why is that a problem.

Slash doesn't call his band Gn'R? No shit, Sherlock. I never noticed that. Of course, his band is not Gn'R, even if he owned the name it wouldn't be Gn'R. See what I did there? I'm being completely fair.

Posters here do not complain about Axl playing the old songs, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this. I'm sorry but I fail to see where all this injustice "free Axl" is.

No, you didn't but the OP did. You said "many posters here give GNR shit about living off the old stuff", introduce me to these posters, that's all I asked. You're refusing, once again, to prove it. Not my problem.

And I laugh at the ridiculousness of that statement. 25% can't be a lot, then how much is 51% or 70%? :lol: but hey, just keep trying to cover it up with "it's all my perception, in my opinion, subjectively speaking".

Maybe you don't know what "rely on" means? Or maybe I'm taking it too literal but Slash has released multiple album since he left Guns. Slash was part of VR, a well-established rock band. For his current shows he plays material from all his former bands and projects, which not only include Guns N' Roses but VR and Snakepit, along with material from Slash, Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire. I don't get why is that a problem.

Slash doesn't call his band Gn'R? No shit, Sherlock. I never noticed that. Of course, his band is not Gn'R, even if he owned the name it wouldn't be Gn'R. See what I did there? I'm being completely fair.

Posters here do not complain about Axl playing the old songs, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this. I'm sorry but I fail to see where all this injustice "free Axl" is.

Okay, now you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. No need to get all aggressive with me. You don't agree with me and I don't understand the meaning of basic English words, it's okay.

Myles sings his ass off and I think he is a very good frontman..

The reason half of Slash's set consists of Guns songs is because it isn't his crowd. It is Aerosmith's crowd so he is playing stuff the crowd will be familiar with. When he headlines he does 5 or 6 Guns songs out of over 20 songs.. I would love it if they played more because they nail the songs and I am ceryainly not going to see Axl's band.

People that go to the shows with me aren't usually huge Slash fans as myslef but they always love the Guns stuff. I have seen this band a good ammount of times now and have brought a good amount of different friends, and everyone always loves it.

Okay, now you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. No need to get all aggressive with me. You don't agree with me and I don't understand the meaning of basic English words, it's okay.

I wasn't getting aggressive at all. :question:

I asked a simple question, I never stated that you don't understand English. I also added that maybe I'm taking it too literal. To me, "rely on" means that without "it" you can't do anything else. Slash was able to do more than "nothing" since he left Guns.

Don't be too sensitive.

In all honestly I would rather both these guys, Axl and Slash, remove their so called Guns N' Roses 'classics' from their setlist. Axl should have more albums out and be playing that; what the fuck is the guy doing playing Knockin' On Heavens Door at every show? Slash, who has many new albums, should be (as of now) concentrating on World On Fire.