My review of Slash's show on 9/9/14

Iron MikeyJ

In all honestly I would rather both these guys, Axl and Slash, remove their so called Guns N' Roses 'classics' from their setlist. Axl should have more albums out and be playing that; what the fuck is the guy doing playing Knockin' On Heavens Door at every show? Slash, who has many new albums, should be (as of now) concentrating on World On Fire.

But what if you're not a fan of post "old Gn'R" material? Would you go see Axl and his band performing 100% Chinese Democracy and Chinese Democracy II songs?

Okay, now you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. No need to get all aggressive with me. You don't agree with me and I don't understand the meaning of basic English words, it's okay.

I wasn't getting aggressive at all. :question:

I asked a simple question, I never stated that you don't understand English. I also added that maybe I'm taking it too literal. To me, "rely on" means that without "it" you can't do anything else. Slash was able to do more than "nothing" since he left Guns.

Don't be too sensitive.

I think you're too sensitive when it comes to Slash :) I probably am too sensitive, can't help it.

I don't think I said every day, but whatever. Yes, I think 5 in 20 songs is a lot, you can laugh all you want. (Maybe I would even be offended if I didn't get a ROFL from you.) Slash does rely on GNR, and no, he doesn't call his band like that because his band is not GNR. Again, yes, he has the right to play GNR songs. Maybe it was P4A saying something about hating on Myles.

I have no problems at all with Slash, with what he plays, how he plays it, not even with how Myles sings it. (I'm sure he does a much better job than most would.) I just think some posters are not really fair in their judgment of Axl and Slash. That's all.

No, you didn't but the OP did. You said "many posters here give GNR shit about living off the old stuff", introduce me to these posters, that's all I asked. You're refusing, once again, to prove it. Not my problem.

And I laugh at the ridiculousness of that statement. 25% can't be a lot, then how much is 51% or 70%? :lol: but hey, just keep trying to cover it up with "it's all my perception, in my opinion, subjectively speaking".

Maybe you don't know what "rely on" means? Or maybe I'm taking it too literal but Slash has released multiple album since he left Guns. Slash was part of VR, a well-established rock band. For his current shows he plays material from all his former bands and projects, which not only include Guns N' Roses but VR and Snakepit, along with material from Slash, Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire. I don't get why is that a problem.

Slash doesn't call his band Gn'R? No shit, Sherlock. I never noticed that. Of course, his band is not Gn'R, even if he owned the name it wouldn't be Gn'R. See what I did there? I'm being completely fair.

Posters here do not complain about Axl playing the old songs, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this. I'm sorry but I fail to see where all this injustice "free Axl" is.

"HE HIT OUR GINGERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!"

Okay, now you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. No need to get all aggressive with me. You don't agree with me and I don't understand the meaning of basic English words, it's okay.

I wasn't getting aggressive at all. :question:

I asked a simple question, I never stated that you don't understand English. I also added that maybe I'm taking it too literal. To me, "rely on" means that without "it" you can't do anything else. Slash was able to do more than "nothing" since he left Guns.

Don't be too sensitive.

I think you're too sensitive when it comes to Slash :) I probably am too sensitive, can't help it.

Nah, if you take a minute to read my posts in this thread you will see that I never refuted the OP's right to not like Slash's band, because, he said he didn't like them. He also said that Myles had zero stage presence and that was boring, which I agreed with. The problem was when he complained about Slash performing You Could Be Mine and then, added a remark of "why is he playing it?! Didn't Axl and Izzy write the song?". That's why I replied the way I did.

In this forum you will find people who do not like Slash's music. My boy Damn_Smooth is a prime example and I love that guy (when he's not insulting everyone!).

I rest my case and I apologize if I offended you. :)

Nah, if you take a minute to read my posts in this thread you will see that I never refuted the OP's right to not like Slash's band, because, he said he didn't like them. He also said that Myles had zero stage presence and that was boring, which I agreed with. The problem was when he complained about Slash performing You Could Be Mine and then, added a remark of "why is he playing it?! Didn't Axl and Izzy write the song?". That's why I replied the way I did.

In this forum you will find people who do not like Slash's music. My boy Damn_Smooth is a prime example and I love that guy (when he's not insulting everyone!).

I rest my case and I apologize if I offended you. :)

Not offended. I'm not that sensitive.

In all honestly I would rather both these guys, Axl and Slash, remove their so called Guns N' Roses 'classics' from their setlist. Axl should have more albums out and be playing that; what the fuck is the guy doing playing Knockin' On Heavens Door at every show? Slash, who has many new albums, should be (as of now) concentrating on World On Fire.

But what if you're not a fan of post "old Gn'R" material? Would you go see Axl and his band performing 100% Chinese Democracy and Chinese Democracy II songs?

More, 70%, as Axl has the Guns N' Roses name. (Slash, it would be more 20%). There are plenty of songs which are considered, 'must plays', but are really quite easy to discard. The omission of Knockin' on Heavens Door and Live and Let Die would produce few tears. For me, a setlist has to represent where an artist is at at that particular time. Analyzing Axl's setlist you would think it was 1987 again.

Well my thread succeeded in giving us something to talk about, so there.

Your thread is fine. The comparison between Axl and Myles has left slash fans foaming at the mouth. :lol:
They act like its my fault that he just stands there and doesn't command the audience. He just is not entertaining to watch, even in the slightest. I have seen some bands live over the years that I'm not a big fan of; Papa Roach and Alien Ant Farm being two of them. But as far as entertainment value and Stage presence BOTH of those bands were better than Slash's band. Slash was doing his best, which was admirable. But the rest of the band was literally boring as hell. I can give the bassist and guitarist a break, but not the singer. As a singer in a band it is YOUR JOB to get the audience going, and he failed in that reguard. Like I said, I've seen better stage presence out of bar bands.

Slash is the headliner in this show

More, 70%, as Axl has the Guns N' Roses name. (Slash, it would be more 20%). There are plenty of songs which are considered, 'must plays', but are really quite easy to discard. The omission of Knockin' on Heavens Door and Live and Let Die would produce few tears. For me, a setlist has to represent where an artist is at at that particular time. Analyzing Axl's setlist you would think it was 1987 again.

Estranged was already released then? November Rain? :P

@Nosaj,

You are correct, Slash does have the right to play that YCBM. I just found it to be in poor taste. Then when you add to the fact that Myles only does about 75% of the vocals, it really was a WTF is this shit moment for me. Had they done DTJ or Civil War I would have been more forgiving. But yes Slash has the right to play whatever he wants, but IMO Slash's band playing YCBM is the same as Loaded playing it. But the difference is Duff wouldn't do that, he plays songs like So Fine which are HIS songs, that was my point.

Mike I think you are missing the point. Slash doesn´t want to make history nor he wants to redefine rock music. He has band to make albums and he goes on tour with them. So he mix his catalogue with the GN´R classics that people in the audience want to hear. Conspirators is not meant to be a legendary band. If Slash is in a mood for an All Star Band he performs with KOC. Slash is still doing what he does best. He is still an amazing guitar player, one of the best in the world. When Slash is performing RQ and Anastasia he is also adding new riffs to them. He is making them even better

Axl on the other hand is messing with the GN´R legacy. It took Axl more than 10 years to make a forgetable album. His version of GN´R has been a revolving door. He has his housekeeper as the band manager. WTF??? The biggest problem I´m having with Axl is not that he plays WTTJ. It is that he doesn´t want to make more albums nor he wants to play one just one new song. And by new I don´t mean neither Prostitute nor Yesterdays. I mean The General or something else from his infamous Vault. There is never communication. Axl is using his twitter once in a blue moon to talk about a giraffe and breakfast. When us the fans want to know what the fuck is going with BBF and the band´s future.

No you are missing the point. I said all along that this was not to start an Axl vs Slash thread. I was expressing MY dissapointment with Slash's band at the concert I attended. That is all....

You shouted Axl's name repeatedly between songs to "be heard"??

Why not just publicly declare yourself a douche and be done with it?

For the record, I only did that after the gnr songs. Besides people have been giving Axl shit for years about no Slash. As a fan I'm not allowed to do the same to Slash??? Hmm.....

Translation - "Some fucking moron gave Axl shit at a GNR show over Slash, so as a rabid Axl fan I feel compelled to behave like a fucking moron at a Slash show to get revenge."

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

People were screaming Bon Fkn Jovi at the show I went to. People laugh at that, I doubt many would be mad at Mike. Of course, that excludes MyGnRForum users.

You've lost me - who and how many were yelling Bon Fkn Jovi and who were they yelling this at?

Say you're at a Bumble solo show and he teases the beginning of an old Guns song or plays part of an instrumental and someone's shouting "Slash". That sort of thing isn't douchey to you? Would YOU ever do it? :lol:

Of course it is douchey, but not many people would be mad at this person. I would've laughed as much as I did when someone shouted "BON JOVI!" :lol: tbh even Axl didnt care when there were "Salsh. Salsh" chants :lol:

What I meant though is that when we're there it doesnt matter as much as when we read on the internet.

@Nosaj,

You are correct, Slash does have the right to play that YCBM. I just found it to be in poor taste. Then when you add to the fact that Myles only does about 75% of the vocals, it really was a WTF is this shit moment for me. Had they done DTJ or Civil War I would have been more forgiving. But yes Slash has the right to play whatever he wants, but IMO Slash's band playing YCBM is the same as Loaded playing it. But the difference is Duff wouldn't do that, he plays songs like So Fine which are HIS songs, that was my point.

But Slash came up with lead guitar parts for YCBM. Why shouldn't he enjoy and let his fans enjoy hearing him play that shit? not only his right, it's not in poor taste like...at all imo.

@Nosaj,

But Slash came up with lead guitar parts for YCBM. Why shouldn't he enjoy and let his fans enjoy hearing him play that shit? not only his right, it's not in poor taste like...at all imo.

To each their own I suppose.

Your thread is fine. The comparison between Axl and Myles has left slash fans foaming at the mouth. :lol:

They act like its my fault that he just stands there and doesn't command the audience. He just is not entertaining to watch, even in the slightest. I have seen some bands live over the years that I'm not a big fan of; Papa Roach and Alien Ant Farm being two of them. But as far as entertainment value and Stage presence BOTH of those bands were better than Slash's band. Slash was doing his best, which was admirable. But the rest of the band was literally boring as hell. I can give the bassist and guitarist a break, but not the singer. As a singer in a band it is YOUR JOB to get the audience going, and he failed in that reguard. Like I said, I've seen better stage presence out of bar bands.

Now you are making a valid point. It wasn´t that hard to express yourself this way. Maybe anger and disappointment got the best of you earlier.

If you are going to compare GNR and Slash then at least be fair about in the comparison of what draws the crowd - that being Axl and Slash.

I'm no fan of Myles. I accept a lot of the criticisms people have when it comes to his stage presence and the fact that his voice grates on some people.

However, you go to a Slash show to hear Slash and his guitar playing. less so Myles and his singing.

And in that sense, Slash always delivers 100%. That means giving the fans what they want, even if that means Slash playing certain GNR songs that he might personally dislike.

You don't go to a Santana concert and then bitch about the singer non-stop and how he didn't get the crowd going. Nobody gives a fuck about the singer. They are there to see the guitarist and both he and Slash deliver in that sense.

In a one on one comparison between Axl and Slash I don't think it is outrageous to suggest that Axl falls short in comparison to Slash. His performances in recent years have fallen well short of Slash in terms of the quality of his performance, seemingly disinterested attitude and increasingly by the numbers phone it in stage shows. Not to mention the complete lack of new material.

Slash on the other hand is playing better than ever, has released three new albums, mixes up the setlist and is very consistent. I'm not sure what else he can do to improve to be honest.

Even if you compensate Axl for the fact that as a singer gets older their voice deteriorates there is still no comparison when he lumbers onstage like a bloated walrus and it is common knowledge that he drinks heavily and smokes cigars. He hasn't made the same effort to work on his performance as Slash has, yet he thinks it is good enough for the fans.

• Like 2

I don't think I said every day, but whatever. Yes, I think 5 in 20 songs is a lot, you can laugh all you want. (Maybe I would even be offended if I didn't get a ROFL from you.) Slash does rely on GNR, and no, he doesn't call his band like that because his band is not GNR. Again, yes, he has the right to play GNR songs. Maybe it was P4A saying something about hating on Myles.

I have no problems at all with Slash, with what he plays, how he plays it, not even with how Myles sings it. (I'm sure he does a much better job than most would.) I just think some posters are not really fair in their judgment of Axl and Slash. That's all.

No, you didn't but the OP did. You said "many posters here give GNR shit about living off the old stuff", introduce me to these posters, that's all I asked. You're refusing, once again, to prove it. Not my problem.

And I laugh at the ridiculousness of that statement. 25% can't be a lot, then how much is 51% or 70%? :lol: but hey, just keep trying to cover it up with "it's all my perception, in my opinion, subjectively speaking".

Maybe you don't know what "rely on" means? Or maybe I'm taking it too literal but Slash has released multiple album since he left Guns. Slash was part of VR, a well-established rock band. For his current shows he plays material from all his former bands and projects, which not only include Guns N' Roses but VR and Snakepit, along with material from Slash, Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire. I don't get why is that a problem.

Slash doesn't call his band Gn'R? No shit, Sherlock. I never noticed that. Of course, his band is not Gn'R, even if he owned the name it wouldn't be Gn'R. See what I did there? I'm being completely fair.

Posters here do not complain about Axl playing the old songs, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this. I'm sorry but I fail to see where all this injustice "free Axl" is.

but you are wrong about this, posters in the past have complained about axl playing old gnr songs. does it happen everday? no but it has happened often.

Was Slash also robbed of a writing credit on YCBM? I always thought Izzy wrote YCBM.

I don't know I only really go to shows with singers I like. I tried to go to the Slash show but there was only 1,000 tickets or something. Such a small venue would have been cool. If I'm going out into the wilderness to the stadium I need a superstar front man.

but I like Slash's solo well enough. I've listened to them a few times. But with a singer or a legend like Dylan it doesn't seem worth it.

Edited by wasted

@Nosaj,

No I totally get it man. You know what I find in poor taste? Axl playing It's So Easy. He didn't write it, Duff and West did. Axl shouldn't play Brownstone either, that's a Slash/Izzy tune. Remember when Axl played Think About You in 2002? I found that in poor taste since Izzy wrote it. Same with Patience, Axl shouldn't play that either since Izzy wrote it as well. Live and Let Die? nah, that's Paul McCartney's song. Axl shouldn't be doing it. Same with Bob Dylan's song, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

You see how stupid that argument is?

@Nosaj,

No I totally get it man. You know what I find in poor taste? Axl playing It's So Easy. He didn't write it, Duff and West did. Axl shouldn't play Brownstone either, that's a Slash/Izzy tune. Remember when Axl played Think About You in 2002? I found that in poor taste since Izzy wrote it. Same with Patience, Axl shouldn't play that either since Izzy wrote it as well. Live and Let Die? nah, that's Paul McCartney's song. Axl shouldn't be doing it. Same with Bob Dylan's song, Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Axl is touring under the GNR name, therefore all GNR songs are pretty much fair game.

@Nosaj,

Axl is touring under the GNR name, therefore all GNR songs are pretty much fair game.

And Slash played on all those songs, and created the solos. So that's not fair game?

@Nosaj,

And Slash played on all those songs, and created the solos. So that's not fair game?

No, I was just pointing out a difference between the two situations. I don't agree with the OP at all.

So a general discussion is foaming at the mouth?

Also i don't see from an Axl fan a substantial argument here...

Just the usual bullshit which at the end of the day doesn't matter in the real world at concerts

This is why posters (Axl or Slash fans whatever) mocking Mike420 here for his "Axl, Axl" yelling at a Slash show....

he acts like a 16 year old schoolboy with this gimmick and this is laughable

period

Edited by Motivation