Question about Live Era

I'd say yes, 90% of the vocals were re-recorded by Axl.

And they all sound fake. Anyone used to live Guns n' Roses can spot the fake vocals in a second.

Axl Rose was the best rock n' roll singer (best voice AND best delivery) in the world from 1987 until 1991.

Ok, one can say that he could still achieve greatness during selected performances in 1992 and 1993, specially when he was NOT on auto-pilot.

It's fair to assume that many of the performances from this "golden era" (1987-1991) were professionally recorded.

The golden era of Axl Rose was also the golden era of Guns n' Roses.

Now, some years later, we have this:

Axl Rose is way past his prime as a singer. Axl Rose is struggling with his voice (he has actually struggled with his voice for years and years and years, see 1992, when he stated in TV interviews that he had to re-learn how to sing because he damaged his voice really bad).

Now this guy, in this situation, decides to re-record the vocals from his OWN golden era?

Who in the world would do such a thing?

It's like if Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone were to ask Aerosmith to re-record theirs scenes on the "Crazy" promo video now, 20 years later.

So Axl goes into the studio, erases the vocals that were recorded when his voice was perfect, and re-records then!

WOW.

And there is more.

What about the choice of the songs on Live Era?

Who chose those?

Wasn't there ANY decent audio recording from the original band?

Did they had to use 1992-1993 recordings on 90% of the disc?

Why did they use the name Live Era 1987-1993 then?

Seriously...

It's beyond belief.

Edited by ludurigan

Live era is my second my favorite GNR record.

Appetite first?

CD is the greatest album of all-time.

I feel like the live versions of the AFD/UYI stuff are fresher, it's a nice collection, great energy. Nightrain opener destroys the album version. AFD seems a bit tired to me. Of course it's they most important album but I just throw on Live era and order a pizza.

Appetite first?

I feel like the live versions of the AFD/UYI stuff are fresher, it's a nice collection, great energy. Nightrain opener destroys the album version. AFD seems a bit tired to me. Of course it's they most important album but I just throw on Live era and order a pizza.

Live era is the album I stick on at work and just crack on with my job and before I know it, I've reached Nivember rain

Appetite first?

Live era is the album I stick on at work and just crack on with my job and before I know it, I've reached Nivember rain

It has a lot of roll to it. the albums are a bit of a slog. the track listing has more energy on Live era. It's a Best of after all. I don't mind they re-recorded certain parts, it's a decent product. Some live albums just sound awful. LE is like a studio album with crowd noises. Just wish they included more Axl rants.

Edited by wasted

It is an awful album. The only moment I like is, Dust N' Bones. You do know there is a bit of confusion about how this album was put together, as Slash and Duff both claim to have attended mixing sessions with Andy Wallace, whereas, Axl basically claims that Del put it together. Presumably Axl's re-recorded vocals arrived at the mixing disc; what was Slash and Duff's opinion?

Almost half the record is from the Tokyo DVD show which is really lazy, but Slash and Duff picked the tracks too.

As for the recorded vocals, well quite alot of live albums are the same. There's a Maiden album with the guitars re-done. It's not like your going to get a best of the bootlegs set.

Almost half the record is from the Tokyo DVD show which is really lazy, but Slash and Duff picked the tracks too.

As for the recorded vocals, well quite alot of live albums are the same. There's a Maiden album with the guitars re-done. It's not like your going to get a best of the bootlegs set.

Yeah we all know live albums have been tampered with since the 70's but I think the issue people have with Live Era is more that they did a shit job of it more than the fact it was rerecorded in parts.

Frampton Comes Alive, KISS Alive, Unleashed In The East etc etc all got studio treatment, but none of those albums suck like Live Era does.

• Like 2

We like that, the problem is alot of those songs sound like they were recorded from VHS tapes, so is that really an authentic experience either? It's music that was tweaked albeit it less to be packed on merchandising stands.

I'm sorry I don't see the difference between using a Chicago 92 source or a Tokyo 92 one, except one was more professionally mastered.