Question about Live Era

Live era is my second my favorite GNR record.

Really? It's completely manufactured! You might as well enjoy lip syncing since it too, is giving the ILLUSION of live performance.

I don't have a problem with it, I know it's not a real representation of a live show, I've seen them live. I actually see it more as new versions of those songs, than an actual live album. It's like the first side of Lies but a double cd. It's great! The version of Nightrain, Estranged, Heaven's Door, You're Crazy and even Paradise City is more ass kicking. There's a great rendition of Dust N Bones as well, much more how I'd expect it it be on an Izzy album. It brings to life Pretty Tied Up which is pretty stale on the album. I don't know, I like it. It's genuine fake what's more honest than that.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I almost forgot it, but GNR actually has a good example on how to "re-do" a live album -- and make it better.

The UK Marquee 1987 live recordings that were released on the Japan-only Live EP (and also some songs that were released on Appetite-era singles) sound WAY better than the original unmixed soundboard bootleg of that same concert (if I'm not mistaken Alan Niven made that bootleg available some years ago).

If you wanna "touch" a live recording, that's how you do it: you improve it and make it better.

It is an awful album. The only moment I like is, Dust N' Bones. You do know there is a bit of confusion about how this album was put together, as Slash and Duff both claim to have attended mixing sessions with Andy Wallace, whereas, Axl basically claims that Del put it together. Presumably Axl's re-recorded vocals arrived at the mixing disc; what was Slash and Duff's opinion?

I've wondered this myself. I mean, they have ears. They have to know it does not sound good, or representative of their live act back in the day.

As an avid bootleg collector, I was horrified by it. Its just really, really bad.

I almost forgot it, but GNR actually has a good example on how to "re-do" a live album -- and make it better.

The UK Marquee 1987 live recordings that were released on the Japan-only Live EP (and also some songs that were released on Appetite-era singles) sound WAY better than the original unmixed soundboard bootleg of that same concert (if I'm not mistaken Alan Niven made that bootleg available some years ago).

If you wanna "touch" a live recording, that's how you do it: you improve it and make it better.

The difference you've not seen here is:

the "leaked" unmixed soundboard is coming from a bad (and also higher generated) cassette transfer just done some quick with poor equipment, unedited aswell! the official "Live From the Jungle" live tracks are from the master sources and edited in a professional studio.

Live era is my second my favorite GNR record.

Really? It's completely manufactured! You might as well enjoy lip syncing since it too, is giving the ILLUSION of live performance.

It's genuine fake what's more honest than that.

Oh, I don't know... completely genuine? lol

We don't know for sure if some instrumemtal parts were indeed re-recorded, or if they were taken from other multitracked shows. Somebody mentioned the corrected bass part from the beginning of SCOM. The original performance, recorded at the Paris PPV 92 show had Duff make a bum note during the opening run. Did he re-record a studio overdub, or was the run taken from any other recorded show where he played the part right?

Personally, I don't think they re-recorded anything. Some parts must have been flown-in from other shows.

I just think its clean. Some bootlegs sound great but would work as a release. I had some Argentina and Chile bootlegs and they had so much energy but actually you couldn't hear the music really. Not all the time. The crowd was much more mingled into it.

The difference you've not seen here is:

the "leaked" unmixed soundboard is coming from a bad (and also higher generated) cassette transfer just done some quick with poor equipment, unedited aswell! the official "Live From the Jungle" live tracks are from the master sources and edited in a professional studio.

Sorry I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know!

Returning to the original topic, does anyone know about the music side of the album? I highly doubt Duff would want to re record his parts

I'd say it is very unlikely that Duff redid anything