Has any forum member read the book Appetite for Destruction by Danny Sugerman

I have. I liked it. It's not a straight up biography at all, it's more of an esoteric philisophical analysis of the band (particularly Axl) that ties rock n' roll to spiritual and shamanic traditions of the past. It's not as woo-woo as it sounds; it makes some good points that a lot of the things that rock singers do have their roots in very old traditions and religious customs. If you want to do some thinking it's a good read; if you want a straight up band biography it's not. I will say that Sugerman seems to have his factual information about the band straight, too. The main book ends around 1990; then there's an epilogue that covers Adler's firing (and gives a good look at that, objectively), the St. Louis riot and some other early Illusions tour stuff.

And as a side note, Danny Sugerman was Jim Morrison's confidante and close friend. He's compared his relationship with Jim to Axl's relationship with Del James (I can't remember the interview, but there was something where he said "Del loves Axl the way I loved Jim.").

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

I have. I liked it. It's not a straight up biography at all, it's more of an esoteric philisophical analysis of the band (particularly Axl) that ties rock n' roll to spiritual and shamanic traditions of the past. It's not as woo-woo as it sounds; it makes some good points that a lot of the things that rock singers do have their roots in very old traditions and religious customs. If you want to do some thinking it's a good read; if you want a straight up band biography it's not. I will say that Sugerman seems to have his factual information about the band straight, too. The main book ends around 1990; then there's an epilogue that covers Adler's firing (and gives a good look at that, objectively), the St. Louis riot and some other early Illusions tour stuff.

And as a side note, Danny Sugerman was Jim Morrison's confidante and close friend. He's compared his relationship with Jim to Axl's relationship with Del James (I can't remember the interview, but there was something where he said "Del loves Axl the way I loved Jim.").

Thank you for your response and thank you for your time you spent responding.

Read it many years ago. Not a bad book but yeah the blake comparisons were a bit too much. I think Danny was trying too be a writer that he simply isn't lol

I disagree- I think Danny was trying to turn GNR/Axl into a band they weren't- in order to fit his writing/philopsphical perspective. The writing style is totally his own. Its an alright book. It certainly has a right to exist. Its far more insightful and provocative (and dare I say more accurate) than Mick Wall's book.