2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

Pats, Seahawks, Pats win.

My girlfriend is getting into football, and I was talking about Peyton Manning and how some believe that he will go down as the best ever. She said "hasn't he only won one super bowl? How can you be the best with only one ring?"

It's the Rings v Stats argument, Brady v Manning. If Brady gets another one, granted this may be the case already, I'm not sure how anyone can say Manning is better than Brady other than stats. Brady has some good stats too. He also plays for a better organization and had a better coach. But Manning chose for his situation to be the way it was. Both teams he played for, he was in total control on offense, and in many ways overall. I feel with the amount of control he had, more responsibility for the outcome of seasons falls on him.

If Manning wanted a player, they got him. If Manning wanted a player to stay, they kept him. If Brady asked for that? Death glare from Belichick and Logan Mankins gets traded. Manning has had star receiver after star receiver. Brady had Moss who while he may have been one of the best to ever do it when he was in a good mood, that happened about one whole season. Otherwise he threw to guys who otherwise would be working the garden section at home depot.

Now maybe it's not fair, but in terms of postseason performance (otherwise known as the Flacco Argument) Brady wins by a longshot. There's no reasonable explanation why Manning simply doesn't win as much as Brady. However a few factors may influence this, such as Manning playing most of his career in a dome against a weak division. When it gets cold out and he sees a good defense, shit gets harder. Brady plays in the freezing cold all year long, against a division that over his career has been competitive. Even when it hasn't been, the Jets defense gave him fits.

Tl;dr, Brady > Manning.

Pats, Seahawks, Pats win.

My girlfriend is getting into football, and I was talking about Peyton Manning and how some believe that he will go down as the best ever. She said "hasn't he only won one super bowl? How can you be the best with only one ring?"

It's the Rings v Stats argument, Brady v Manning. If Brady gets another one, granted this may be the case already, I'm not sure how anyone can say Manning is better than Brady other than stats. Brady has some good stats too. He also plays for a better organization and had a better coach. But Manning chose for his situation to be the way it was. Both teams he played for, he was in total control on offense, and in many ways overall. I feel with the amount of control he had, more responsibility for the outcome of seasons falls on him.

If Manning wanted a player, they got him. If Manning wanted a player to stay, they kept him. If Brady asked for that? Death glare from Belichick and Logan Mankins gets traded. Manning has had star receiver after star receiver. Brady had Moss who while he may have been one of the best to ever do it when he was in a good mood, that happened about one whole season. Otherwise he threw to guys who otherwise would be working the garden section at home depot.

Now maybe it's not fair, but in terms of postseason performance (otherwise known as the Flacco Argument) Brady wins by a longshot. There's no reasonable explanation why Manning simply doesn't win as much as Brady. However a few factors may influence this, such as Manning playing most of his career in a dome against a weak division. When it gets cold out and he sees a good defense, shit gets harder. Brady plays in the freezing cold all year long, against a division that over his career has been competitive. Even when it hasn't been, the Jets defense gave him fits.

Tl;dr, Brady > Manning.

Summed up perfectly, I'm picking Hawks and Pats as well but I think the Hawks repeat.

Seattle over Green Bay in a close one. If the game was in Green Bay the Pack would win, but Seattle is awesome at home

New England will blow out Indy.

Seattle to repeat in the Super Bowl.

yeah i agree. andrew luck hasnt fared well against the patriots in his career. i just think seattle is on fire and nothing will stop them from repeating.

Seattle over Green Bay in a close one. If the game was in Green Bay the Pack would win, but Seattle is awesome at home

New England will blow out Indy.

Seattle to repeat in the Super Bowl.

yeah i agree. andrew luck hasnt fared well against the patriots in his career. i just think seattle is on fire and nothing will stop them from repeating.
Except the first 3 quarters of any game.

Seattle and Pats in the SB and that makes me nervous, but I think Hawks can take it.

Rodgers just won the Pro Football Writers MVP. Not the same as the official award, but there are a decent number of writers who vote for both, so it's a pretty good sign he's going to win the official award as well.

Which I'd rather see him get it than Romo. I admit Romo had the best season of his career, but MVP? I think not. MVP's should go to players who are considered "the best" in their respective sports, which Tony Romo is not. He is still only top ten at best at his position, but no way is he top 5. I know Cowboy fans are going to argue that, but I'd like them to think about the last 5 plus years, excluding this year. Many of them didn't even want Romo as their quarterback anymore. MVP? I think not....

Honestly if a Cowboy desreves MVP talk it would be Murray, they rode his ass as far they could. But again, he doesn't have the credentials for MVP IMO.

But MVP is just for this season - not an accumulative award.

I've got no problem with Rogers winning the thing though. I hope he has enough in his tank to beat Seattle and Pete The Cheat.

Yet you've tried debating that Romo deserves the award, mainly based off his play in December. Interesting...

(Second part) And I agree. If Rodgers (well, the Packers, but if gimpy Rodgers goes Godgers-like and) wins this week, he'll replace all my hero-like status of Favre in my memory. That would be the ultimate upset.

Also, I'd purchase a ticket to the Super Bowl immediately afterwards, regardless of the price.

What is interesing about it? Tony was fantastic all season, not just December.

Romo had the best QB rating in the league. Higher than Rogers.

Romo had the highest completion percentage in the league.

And had 32 touchdowns and 8 int.

For a team that nobody predicted would be good.

In your world that isn't a mvp worthy season?

Please explain.

Rodgers just won the Pro Football Writers MVP. Not the same as the official award, but there are a decent number of writers who vote for both, so it's a pretty good sign he's going to win the official award as well.

Which I'd rather see him get it than Romo. I admit Romo had the best season of his career, but MVP? I think not. MVP's should go to players who are considered "the best" in their respective sports, which Tony Romo is not. He is still only top ten at best at his position, but no way is he top 5. I know Cowboy fans are going to argue that, but I'd like them to think about the last 5 plus years, excluding this year. Many of them didn't even want Romo as their quarterback anymore. MVP? I think not....

Honestly if a Cowboy desreves MVP talk it would be Murray, they rode his ass as far they could. But again, he doesn't have the credentials for MVP IMO.
But MVP is just for this season - not an accumulative award.

I've got no problem with Rogers winning the thing though. I hope he has enough in his tank to beat Seattle and Pete The Cheat.
Yet you've tried debating that Romo deserves the award, mainly based off his play in December. Interesting...

(Second part) And I agree. If Rodgers (well, the Packers, but if gimpy Rodgers goes Godgers-like and) wins this week, he'll replace all my hero-like status of Favre in my memory. That would be the ultimate upset.

Also, I'd purchase a ticket to the Super Bowl immediately afterwards, regardless of the price.
What is interesing about it? Tony was fantastic all season, not just December.
Romo had the best QB rating in the league. Higher than Rogers.
Romo had the highest completion percentage in the league.
And had 32 touchdowns and 8 int.
For a team that nobody predicted would be good.
In your world that isn't a mvp worthy season?

Please explain.

It is, but he also had a more MVP worthy running back in the backfield. Don't think for a second Romo would've had this great of season had it not been for DeMarco Murray. People seem to forget he ran for 100 yards in each of the first 8 weeks of the season (NFL record). The first week he didn't rush for 100, they lost. I'm not saying Tony didn't have an MVP-worthy season, I'm saying someone in the same backfield had an even better one.

And the reason nobody thought they would be good wasn't because of their offense, it was because of their historically bad defense from last year. Romo puts up pretty good stats every December, but it doesn't get recognized because he/The Cowboys choke. (He had 34 touchdowns and 9 picks, btw)

Hope Packer fans are enjoying their last 36 hours of relevancy. Seattle gonna smoke 'em, 10 or more pts--and a physical beat down.

Bye Bye GB. :)

Jealous/hold a grudge, much?

This is why one must be careful before announcing that the next great QB has arrived. Not to say Russ won't get there, he has as good a chance as anyone, but he's not there yet. He had no business throwing a desperation bomb in the 2nd quarter into double coverage.

Seahawks don't play well from behind. Outside of lynch, not enough offensive firepower, especially against the packers. It's actually a testament to seattle's D the game is still this close. Way too early to call the game but it doesn't look good.

Russell Wilson has by far the worst game in his career, Seattle has 5 turnovers and GB still can't win. They had an all time gift and opportunity today and blew it.

Shows how wide open the NFC was this year. Detroit coulda beat Dallas, Dallas definitely shoulda beat GB, and GB def shoulda beat Seattle. Cowboy fans have to be feeling even worse than GB fans right now knowing they coulda been in the SB after seeing the Seattle performance today.

Didn't think GB had a prayer today, but if they woulda hung on and Rodgers had the 2 weeks before the SB, I'd like their chances better against N.E. What a devastating loss.

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1