[RUMOR] New album coming in 2015 according to Kaneda

Hey guys, I've written the best song ever! It's doomy and metally and my voice both has high piercing screams and is mean as fuck. It's so good, so mindblowing, I think I might actually put it out in 15 years or so, that's how confident I am about it. Actually, I might not. No....I will. Well....I'll take a very serious look at what I'm doing in that regard at least.

• Like 2

Once again, I think the departure of Bumble could actually move things a long. If Axl has decided not to replace Ron and continue with just two on guitar, they'll have to pair back a lot on the Chinese Democracy stuff. And they'll need to replace it with something. I suppose they could replace the shredder/CD stuff with UYI songs or other lesser played tunes. But I've got a feeling that there might be something to the fact that rumours have been swirling about certain members doing some recording the past six months or so.

Again, who really knows, it's all conjecture and speculation at this point.

Once again, I think the departure of Bumble could actually move things a long. If Axl has decided not to replace Ron and continue with just two on guitar, they'll have to pair back a lot on the Chinese Democracy stuff. And they'll need to replace it with something. I suppose they could replace the shredder/CD stuff with UYI songs or other lesser played tunes. But I've got a feeling that there might be something to the fact that rumours have been swirling about certain members doing some recording the past six months or so.

Good point! Idk if CD can be played by two guitarist. Atleast not the remaining guitarist. It's an album built by 4 including Tommy. It might add a layer of simplicity to whatever songs they are working on for the upcoming album

BBF was really holding things up with all his wanting to write and release music bullshit. Now the band can get down to business.

Who's to say that Axl ever had designs to include him with songwriting? Ron was keen to move things forward, but with himself contributing. It's interesting to note that guys like Richard, DJ, and Dizzy have made references to recent recording sessions while Ron says nothing is happening. And this was even before rumours of Ron's departure surfaced.

Good point! Idk if CD can be played by two guitarist. Atleast not the remaining guitarist. It's an album built by 4 including Tommy. It might add a layer of simplicity to whatever songs they are working on for the upcoming album

The idea that we're still waiting on songs from the early 2000s to be released because Axl wants to 'add a layer of simplicity' is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here.

• Like 1

No no no....it's not about it being added as something that Axl has wanted to do all along. But if he really only has Richard and DJ then it might be something that has to happen in order to play the album. He might get a session guitarist but it's also possible he starts stripping layers in order to make it playable

The idea that we're still waiting on songs from the early 2000s to be released because Axl wants to 'add a layer of simplicity' is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here.

Maybe past songs meant for CD are no longer in the cards?

Why would a songwriter as slow as Axl junk 30 songs only to start from scratch?

Because he doesn't look at songs like you do. Musicians can move past previous works. How many artists eventually turn to hate some of the songs they initially loved? Many.

Or maybe Axl is in a different head space and no longer wants to pursue the kind of music found on Chinese Democracy? Maybe Axl is tired of dealing with virtuoso guitarists and is looking to streamline things a bit for the next tour?

And I wouldn't call Axl a slow or unproductive songwriter. For all we know there could be 100 songs sitting in the vault. The issue may not be writing songs, but feeling confident enough in any given material to have it released.

Because he doesn't look at songs like you do. Musicians can move past previous works. How many artists eventually turn to hate some of the songs they initially loved? Many.

Or maybe Axl is in a different head space and no longer wants to pursue the kind of music found on Chinese Democracy? Maybe Axl is tired of dealing with virtuoso guitarists and is looking to streamline things a bit for the next tour?

And I wouldn't call Axl a slow or unproductive songwriter. For all we know there could be 100 songs sitting in the vault. The issue may not be writing songs, but feeling confident enough in any given material to have it released.

And if that's the case and he lacks the confidence to release songs he's laboured over for a decade I doubt he'll feel confident enough to release something him and the new guys threw together in 6 months.

Would these new songs be among the 2-3 new ones we were promised last year that Axl couldn't be bothered adding to the set? More lack of confidence, I guess.

I think you're trapped in wishful thinking to be honest. A guitarist leaves, so Axl wants to streamline? Well all the other guitarists who left did it because there was no progress. I know what my guess would be.

Edited by tomfriend

"I'd helped write and arrange and recorded enough songs for several records. [...] Honestly, we recorded so many different song ideas and completed so many different types of songs; from quiet, very simple traditional piano songs to 16 stereo tracks of keyboard blur and everything in between. [...] Most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)
"'I was with Axl for a little over two years,' [Finck] says, 'and we recorded dozens of songs together. I'm really proud of what we did as a band. I'm anxious to see how it's completed.' Well, will it be? 'Oh, yes,' Finck says, grinning. 'You may depend on it.'" (Robin, Rolling Stone, 10/99)
"There's a whole album of vocal parts [in late '99]. In fact, there's two albums worth that they've got there, at least." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)
Mind you, this was after Robin had quit for the first time and at the time had no intention of coming back. Why would Robin have said they had recorded 'enough songs for several records' if Axl was as unproductive as others here are claiming?

Why would Brian May - a guy who is respected in the rock world and doesn't need to kiss Axl's ass - say there was AT LEAST two albums' worth of just vocals alone, AFTER he'd worked with Axl?

Axl is probably a very productive song writer, he's just an unproductive person haha I think all Aquarius are the same though. They get obsessed with something and go all out on it for months and then one day just stop. Like Axl and his obsession with cameras in the 90's. I think he wrote a ton of songs in a short period of time then Got obsessed with god knows what.

Axl is very productive but only on things he wants to be. He won't force himself to do stuff he doesn't want to. He's too rich for that crap haha I think it's just an Aquarius thing though. Call me crazy or whatever but obsessive personalities are scary. Axl needs adderall

And if that's the case and he lacks the confidence to release songs he's laboured over for a decade I doubt he'll feel confident enough to release something him and the new guys threw together in 6 months.

Would these new songs be among the 2-3 new ones we were promised last year that Axl couldn't be bothered adding to the set? More lack of confidence, I guess.

I think you're trapped in wishful thinking to be honest. A guitarist leaves, so Axl wants to streamline? Well all the other guitarists who left did it because there was no progress. I know what my guess would be.

Sorry if I'm off on this assumption, but I guess you're not a songwriter. It's not always about confidence. Almost universally, a songwriter's favourite song is the one he/she just wrote. It's not always a matter of confidence, but an issue of older songs no longer resonating with the artist as much as newer creations do.

Who knows what was meant last year by two to three new songs. They never clarified whether this meant two songs that people had never heard before or older/cover songs that have never been played. Maybe things changed during the period of that announcement and the Vegas residency? Maybe closer to the shows it was obvious that Ron was on the outs; that they no longer wanted to introduce new material with a member who won't be around for the next tour?

You're assuming that who Axl is today is the same guy he was five to ten years ago. It's been over fifteen years since songs like TWAT, CD, Atlas Shrug, The General, and other songs that were meant for that era of GNR. Maybe he no longer wants to pursue that vision. And sure, maybe it's all wishful thinking on my part, but I'm not willing to come to definite conclusions about someone I don't know shit about.

Sorry if I'm off on this assumption, but I guess you're not a songwriter. It's not always about confidence. Almost universally, a songwriter's favourite song is the one he/she just wrote. It's not always a matter of confidence, but an issue of older songs no longer resonating with the artist as much as newer creations do.

Who knows what was meant last year by two to three new songs. They never clarified whether this meant two songs that people had never heard before or older/cover songs that have never been played. Maybe things changed during the period of that announcement and the Vegas residency? Maybe closer to the shows it was obvious that Ron was on the outs; that they no longer wanted to introduce new material with a member who won't be around for the next tour?

You're assuming that who Axl is today is the same guy he was five to ten years ago. It's been over fifteen years since songs like TWAT, CD, Atlas Shrug, The General, and other songs that were meant for that era of GNR. Maybe he no longer wants to pursue that vision. And sure, maybe it's all wishful thinking on my part, but I'm not willing to come to definite conclusions about someone I don't know shit about.

I am a songwriter. Never played anywhere bigger than Camden Dingwalls and Brighton Concord 2, but hey its not nothing.

This isn't about what I think about songwriters or artists in general, it's what I think about Axl and the way he creates based on my observations of the whole C.D. thing and beyond.

I *hope* he basically cranks out a garage rock album, no frills with the current lineup (whatever that may be). I've been saying so for years. I think its what he needs to get back on track. I don't think he will though. No quibbles with your points, mind you.

Axl doesn't compromise his visions though, however it may benefit him. And his statements don't ever get smaller over time, only grander and more sprawling. What precedent is there for him stripping back?

Edited by tomfriend