Should Axl pull a Roth and give in to baldness?

This has nothing to do with hair...

What the hell is the deal with Van Halen these days? Are they doing another record or tour? Or are they done?

I loved ADKOT, I think it was a really strong record and would love another one. I saw the tour for it and that was just ok... there were some technical problems and DLR didn't sound too good. Still, I'm glad I saw them.

No one gives a fuck. Guns N Roses is about music, live or on record... If your concerned enough with Axl's hair or the way he's dressing or how much he weighs your not a fan, your obsessed.

Nope, there are lots of guys (and a few girls ) who discuss this stuff at length. I think the OP is just having a go at Axl but some others put effort and research into their arguments about Axl and Slash's appearance. I'd like to think these are bored kids who weren't around for GN'R in their prime but who knows. Axl's clothes and hair seem like pretty popular topics around here. I care about the music, not their fashion choices. It's like when people talk about Bucket on here and can't get past what he wore. Brother, if you are a grown ass man and care that much about what another grown ass man looks like or wears, you might wanna seek help.

No one gives a fuck. Guns N Roses is about music, live or on record... If your concerned enough with Axl's hair or the way he's dressing or how much he weighs your not a fan, your obsessed.

Nope, there are lots of guys (and a few girls ) who discuss this stuff at length. I think the OP is just having a go at Axl but some others put effort and research into their arguments about Axl and Slash's appearance..
Ding ding. Correct. Axl doesn't do (normal interviews), doesn't really have a band, career basically over except for playing same set over n over, no excitement ....nothing going on/nothing to talk about. So let's break down his girlfriends from 25 yrs ago, Slash's divorce, Axl's hair, Stevens sobriety, etc.....

Well who cares about his hair but his weight does show a lot about his character in that it shows he does not give a shit about his well-being and fitness. Likely directly contributes to his lack of effort, lack of energy, and degradation of his voice.

but his weight does show a lot about his character in that it shows he does not give a shit about his well-being and fitness. Likely directly contributes to his lack of effort, lack of energy, and degradation of his voice.

Except that there are about a million things that contribute to weight gain that have absolutely fucking nothing to do about "giving a shit about well-being and fitness." There are "fit and fat" people (like some professional baseball and football players...are you going to tell a guy who plays a professional sport that he doesn't care about fitness?). There are people who are fat because they are taking medications that are obesigenic. Prednisone is a huge one, and is given to a lot of singers to cut down inflammation in their throats. There are people who are fat because they have some sort of illness that slows down their metabolism and bloats them up, like lupus, forms of cancer, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc. There are those who are fat because they have another illness or injury that stops them from exercising. There are people who have food addiction (which should really be treated with the same compassion and understanding that we give to narcotics or alcohol addiction, but we don't...we would never tell an alcoholic "hey, just drink less" and expect it to stick, but we will tell a food addict "just eat less" without offering any other help). There are people who are fat because they are depressed or have another psych issue and use it as a coping mechanism.

And yeah, there are also people who are fat because they sit on their asses and eat too much, but the point is, given all of the above, when you look at an overweight person you have no bloody idea what their deal is.

• Like 1

but his weight does show a lot about his character in that it shows he does not give a shit about his well-being and fitness. Likely directly contributes to his lack of effort, lack of energy, and degradation of his voice.

Except that there are about a million things that contribute to weight gain that have absolutely fucking nothing to do about "giving a shit about well-being and fitness." There are "fit and fat" people (like some professional baseball and football players...are you going to tell a guy who plays a professional sport that he doesn't care about fitness?). There are people who are fat because they are taking medications that are obesigenic. Prednisone is a huge one, and is given to a lot of singers to cut down inflammation in their throats. There are people who are fat because they have some sort of illness that slows down their metabolism and bloats them up, like lupus, forms of cancer, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc. There are those who are fat because they have another illness or injury that stops them from exercising. There are people who have food addiction (which should really be treated with the same compassion and understanding that we give to narcotics or alcohol addiction, but we don't...we would never tell an alcoholic "hey, just drink less" and expect it to stick, but we will tell a food addict "just eat less" without offering any other help). There are people who are fat because they are depressed or have another psych issue and use it as a coping mechanism.

And yeah, there are also people who are fat because they sit on their asses and eat too much, but the point is, given all of the above, when you look at an overweight person you have no bloody idea what their deal is.

Sure, I suppose there is a possibility that I'm off base on why he's fat, but given what we've seen of this guy's passion for his work over the past 20 years, my theory does seem to jive. The fact his weight contributes to everything I mentioned, and whether it's due to illness or something else, he should probably just hang it up, because the more people witness this train wreck, the more of a joke it looks to the general public.

He also seems to have a lot of emotional/psych issues that others don't have, though - there have been thoughts that he's been depressed, and anyone who's dealt with clinical depression can tell you that it's a chemical change in the brain, not just emotion...and that it makes it hard to even get out of bed in the morning sometimes. With Axl I don't think it's necessarily about motivation or laziness *all* the time as much as it is that he just emotionally can't get where he needs to go and he doesn't have anyone around who can coach him to do what he needs to do.

I think if he were truly lazy he would have said the hell with Guns N' Roses 16 years ago and just faded into rock star retirement. He seems to want or need to keep going with it.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Don't give a shit about the hair, he should put himself out there more and make the most of opportunities like that Foo's show (although i realise Slash showed up for the this particular show bla bla bla).

Being in the public eye, alongside other "legends" of the genre would be great press and increase his relevency again.

EG - When the Stones did that run of shows in the States with the likes of Springsteen, Lady Gaga etc. Imagine the press coverage if Axl had showed up and totally nailed the vocals on one of their tracks.

I know its not in keeping with what he's been about his whole career, but wouldnt it be great.

Edited by prettytiedup88

Exactly who cares? I saw DLR with Van Halen a few years ago. he wore a hate most of the time, but what got me was how he really can't sing anymore.

David is still a great frontman, but he talked and walked his way through most of the songs.

Eddie is still a guitar God!

Don't be a fat apologist. Diet and exercise works for pretty much everybody without a glandular issue.

• Like 2

Yes.

Off topic, but I just remembered someone that was at one of the Canadian gigs in 2010 met Axl and talked with him for ages, but said he wouldn't tell the full story until 5 years had passed. Anyone know if this guy is still around? It would at least be more interesting than seeing shit topics regarding Axl's looks.

I'm calling this guy out to tide us over until Bumble releases a new flavour of hot sauce.

Stella Stella, I love your posts. You've hit the nail on the head, I don't even think Axl is "fat". Depending on each person when you get to middle age you get the middle age spread. He's got it but he's not "fat", it will come to most of you when you get there. This comes from someone who was called "Anna" short for anorexic due to my skinny 7st (just) frame until middle age. Now I'm heavier than when I was 9 months pregnant where I weighed in at 9st.

Axl's weight suits his age to me, and please don't call him old. When Elvis died at 42 I thought he was old. When you get to 50 you'll see you feel no different (just a bit slower) than when you were in your 20s.

• Like 1

Yes.

Off topic, but I just remembered someone that was at one of the Canadian gigs in 2010 met Axl and talked with him for ages, but said he wouldn't tell the full story until 5 years had passed. Anyone know if this guy is still around? It would at least be more interesting than seeing shit topics regarding Axl's looks.

I'm calling this guy out to tide us over until Bumble releases a new flavour of hot sauce.

That would be our dickhead Admin, downzy, who won't tell the story now because he's a dickhead Admin.

• Like 1

Don't be a fat apologist. Diet and exercise works for pretty much everybody without a glandular issue.

I'm not being a fat apologist. Being fat isn't anything to apologize for. I'm actually educated, have a science degree and have worked with people with all sorts of eating disorders. There are plenty of medical journals that back up every word I've said. Anyone who has the opinion you do has no idea what they're talking about and is just being prejudiced and ignorant. If diet and exercise work for everyone, please explain why some Olympic and professional athletes, who train for six hours a day or more, are fat and perform at the top of their game. Please explain why some thin people eat and eat but never gain weight. Right, it doesn't hold water. I personally know fat people who are certified fitness instructors and thin people who are too weak to do a pushup. I'm not going to argue further with this because you're welcome to search throguh the NiH and PubMed and read the professional data for yourself, if you're so interested. To start, here's a Molecular Science journal abstract about the highly genetic aspect of obesity. You'll notice they conclude that obesity is extremely complex. http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/suppl_2/R124.full

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

I'm not being a fat apologist. I'm actually educated and have worked with people with all sorts of eating disorders. There are plenty of medical journals that back it up, as well. Anyone who has the opinion you do has no idea what they're talking about. If diet and exercise work for everyone, please explain why some Olympic and professional athletes, who train for six hours a day or more, are fat and perform at the top of their game.

I'm actually well-educated on the topic, but thank you. Point me to the fat olympians please.

EDIT: After saying that, I have a weird feeling you'll post pictures of female powerlifters. But we both know that's disingenuous, so this is my pre-emptive strike.

Edited by Bards