Should Axl pull a Roth and give in to baldness?

but his weight does show a lot about his character in that it shows he does not give a shit about his well-being and fitness. Likely directly contributes to his lack of effort, lack of energy, and degradation of his voice.

Except that there are about a million things that contribute to weight gain that have absolutely fucking nothing to do about "giving a shit about well-being and fitness." There are "fit and fat" people (like some professional baseball and football players...are you going to tell a guy who plays a professional sport that he doesn't care about fitness?). There are people who are fat because they are taking medications that are obesigenic. Prednisone is a huge one, and is given to a lot of singers to cut down inflammation in their throats. There are people who are fat because they have some sort of illness that slows down their metabolism and bloats them up, like lupus, forms of cancer, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc. There are those who are fat because they have another illness or injury that stops them from exercising. There are people who have food addiction (which should really be treated with the same compassion and understanding that we give to narcotics or alcohol addiction, but we don't...we would never tell an alcoholic "hey, just drink less" and expect it to stick, but we will tell a food addict "just eat less" without offering any other help). There are people who are fat because they are depressed or have another psych issue and use it as a coping mechanism.

And yeah, there are also people who are fat because they sit on their asses and eat too much, but the point is, given all of the above, when you look at an overweight person you have no bloody idea what their deal is.

Don't be a fat apologist. Diet and exercise works for pretty much everybody without a glandular issue.

I'm not being a fat apologist. I'm actually educated and have worked with people with all sorts of eating disorders. There are plenty of medical journals that back it up, as well. Anyone who has the opinion you do has no idea what they're talking about. If diet and exercise work for everyone, please explain why some Olympic and professional athletes, who train for six hours a day or more, are fat and perform at the top of their game.

I'm actually well-educated on the topic, but thank you. Point me to the fat olympians please.

EDIT: After saying that, I have a weird feeling you'll post pictures of female powerlifters. But we both know that's disingenuous, so this is my pre-emptive strike.

The opinion you have that diet and exercise are the magic bullet for almost everyone and your use of the term "glandular disorder" (which hasn't been used for what, 30 years?) are all I need to know to tell me that you really don't know anything valid about this. Again, it doesn't explain how so many baseball/football/cricket etc. players are heavy and play professional sports, does it?

Male and female power lifting are valid sports and those athletes train for hours every day, but you can also Google boxers, basketball players, baseball players, judo competitiors, cricket players and come up with plenty of players who are overweight. Look up just about any Olympic judo competition on YouTube or Google; they competition categories for judo go so high that a 154lb woman or a 198lb man would only be considered a middleweight. http://www.olympic.org/judo Swimmer Leisel Jones wasn't so svelte in 2012. Let's see...plenty of track and field folks, like Jillian Camerena-Williams, Carl Myerscough, Valerie Adams, Russ Winger, Alfred Kruger and Reese Hoffa, too. Actually, a fair number of athletes on the USA Track and Field team and Team GB Athletics, just to name two national teams.

And if any of those athletes were walking down the street without their credentials, they'd have people like you judging them on the way they look and snickering about how they're fatasses who should eat less and get off the couch for once..is that fair at all? Fucking no.

Also, there have been studies done that if we're looking at BMI, many top level athletes are technically considered obese because BMI is just a straight height/weight calculation and does not take muscle mass, which is heavier than fat, into consideration. http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/obese-olympians

Right. Moving on.

aslong as he doesn't start singing like roth

Now I have a vision of Axl remaking Roth's "Just a Gigolo" complete with hammy dance moves. Dear Lord.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

but his weight does show a lot about his character in that it shows he does not give a shit about his well-being and fitness. Likely directly contributes to his lack of effort, lack of energy, and degradation of his voice.

Except that there are about a million things that contribute to weight gain that have absolutely fucking nothing to do about "giving a shit about well-being and fitness." There are "fit and fat" people (like some professional baseball and football players...are you going to tell a guy who plays a professional sport that he doesn't care about fitness?). There are people who are fat because they are taking medications that are obesigenic. Prednisone is a huge one, and is given to a lot of singers to cut down inflammation in their throats. There are people who are fat because they have some sort of illness that slows down their metabolism and bloats them up, like lupus, forms of cancer, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc. There are those who are fat because they have another illness or injury that stops them from exercising. There are people who have food addiction (which should really be treated with the same compassion and understanding that we give to narcotics or alcohol addiction, but we don't...we would never tell an alcoholic "hey, just drink less" and expect it to stick, but we will tell a food addict "just eat less" without offering any other help). There are people who are fat because they are depressed or have another psych issue and use it as a coping mechanism.

And yeah, there are also people who are fat because they sit on their asses and eat too much, but the point is, given all of the above, when you look at an overweight person you have no bloody idea what their deal is.

Don't be a fat apologist. Diet and exercise works for pretty much everybody without a glandular issue.

I'm not being a fat apologist. I'm actually educated and have worked with people with all sorts of eating disorders. There are plenty of medical journals that back it up, as well. Anyone who has the opinion you do has no idea what they're talking about. If diet and exercise work for everyone, please explain why some Olympic and professional athletes, who train for six hours a day or more, are fat and perform at the top of their game.

I'm actually well-educated on the topic, but thank you. Point me to the fat olympians please.

EDIT: After saying that, I have a weird feeling you'll post pictures of female powerlifters. But we both know that's disingenuous, so this is my pre-emptive strike.

The opinion you have that diet and exercise are the magic bullet for almost everyone and your use of the term "glandular disorder" (which hasn't been used for what, 30 years?) are all I need to know to tell me that you really don't know anything valid about this. Again, it doesn't explain how so many baseball/football/cricket etc. players are heavy and play professional sports, does it?

Male and female power lifting are valid sports and those athletes train for hours every day, but you can also Google boxers, basketball players, baseball players, judo competitiors, cricket players and come up with plenty of players who are overweight. Look up just about any Olympic judo competition on YouTube or Google; they competition categories for judo go so high that a 154lb woman or a 198lb man would only be considered a middleweight. http://www.olympic.org/judo Swimmer Leisel Jones wasn't so svelte in 2012. Let's see...plenty of track and field folks, like Jillian Camera-Williams and Reese Hoffa, too.

Also, there have been studies done that if we're looking at BMI, many top level athletes are technically considered obese because BMI is just a straight height/weight calculation and does not take muscle mass, which is heavier than fat, into consideration. http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/obese-olympians

You criticize me for being out of date with using glandular, but you bring up BMI? Okie dokie.

Also, I'm willing to be everything I have that I have more experience training judo than you do. Cherry-picking weight class names or judokas from Guam do nothing to prove your point. Neither does classifying shot-putters as "track and field". Shot put is a straight strength sport. You need to be large to heave a giant steel ball that far. The fact that you classify them as fat while discounting the muscle it takes once again proves that you're simply out of your depth here.

Large frame does not equal fat. A guy that has powerlifted his entire life can wear the wrong shirt and look like a fat guy. That doesn't automatically discount his efforts. Compare that with "couch fat", and we're talking about two completely different animals.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, but you're just wrong on this one.

This has nothing to do with hair...

What the hell is the deal with Van Halen these days? Are they doing another record or tour? Or are they done?

I loved ADKOT, I think it was a really strong record and would love another one. I saw the tour for it and that was just ok... there were some technical problems and DLR didn't sound too good. Still, I'm glad I saw them.

It's hard to say. Wolfgang Van Halen is set on working with Mark Tremonti's solo band and they are going to get an album out soon and stuff and do some touring (they got booked in some of the US festivals already, maybe Europe as well). As for Van Halen, maybe they are done, but if they are not, maybe they can find some closure with Michael Anthony and stuff and get the prime line-up back. I don't know.

Male and female power lifting are valid sports and those athletes train for hours every day, but you can also Google boxers, basketball players, baseball players, judo competitiors, cricket players and come up with plenty of players who are overweight. Look up just about any Olympic judo competition on YouTube or Google; they competition categories for judo go so high that a 154lb woman or a 198lb man would only be considered a middleweight. http://www.olympic.org/judo Swimmer Leisel Jones wasn't so svelte in 2012. Let's see...plenty of track and field folks, like Jillian Camera-Williams and Reese Hoffa, too.

You criticize me for being out of date with using glandular, but you bring up BMI? Okie dokie.

Also, I'm willing to be everything I have that I have more experience training judo than you do. Cherry-picking weight class names or judokas from Guam do nothing to prove your point. Neither does classifying shot-putters as "track and field". Shot put is a straight strength sport. You need to be large to heave a giant steel ball that far. The fact that you classify them as fat while discounting the muscle it takes once again proves that you're simply out of your depth here.

Large frame does not equal fat. A guy that has powerlifted his entire life can wear the wrong shirt and look like a fat guy. That doesn't automatically discount his efforts. Compare that with "couch fat", and we're talking about two completely different animals.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, but you're just wrong on this one.

LOL, you're funny. No, I am not wrong at all. You asked for fat Olympians; I gave them to you. Shot Put and Hammer Throw are classified under track and field and those athletes are members of the USA Track and Field team. There isn't just one judo competitor from Guam who is heavy; a lot of them are. And you're right, I don't do judo, I do Taekwondo.

And why do I call them fat? Because: if they were walking down the street in normal clothes, most people would consider them fat and judge them accordingly. If they went to a doctor with that heigh and weight and the doctor knew nothing about them, they'd get the "fat person lecture." You just basically proved my point: fit and fat. Large and healthy. Not having any information about someone's fitness habits or health based on their weight or outward appearance. You have no fucking idea if a big guy in a baggy t-shirt is couch fat or athletic.

So again, sitting there and saying that "diet and exercise" are the magic bullets is bullshit. Discounting that large healthy people exist? Same. Dismissing the many health conditions and medicines that contribute to weight gain? Likewise.

And I in no way endorsed BMI; I pointed out a flaw. Unfortunately BMI is used as a general measure of health and weight, and it was never intended to be used that way. It's not an accurate measure of anything. Point remains, though, that doctors, insurance companies et al will use it as such; when one looks at athletes' BMI it's clear how inaccurate it is as a benchmark.

Every time you sit there and accuse someone of being a "fat apologist" for bringing up the complexities of obesity and weight gain, - and also pointing out that it's possible to be athletic and large - you contribute to ignorance and prejudice. Period. End of discussion.

Edited by stella

You asked for fat Olympians; I gave them to you.

Except for the part where you didn't.

And why do I call them fat? Because: if they were walking down the street in normal clothes, most people would consider them fat and judge them accordingly.

So you admit it has little to nothing to do with them being actually fat?

If they went to a doctor with that heigh and weight and the doctor knew nothing about them, they'd get the "fat person lecture."

What kind of doctor would not ask about things like athletic background?

So again, sitting there and saying that "diet and exercise" are the magic bullets is bullshit.

No, it isn't. Except for the rare medical conditions, people who are overweight that change their diet and put effort into exercise lose weight and become healthier. I'm shocked anyone would even argue this point.

And I in no way endorsed BMI; I pointed out a flaw. Unfortunately BMI is used as a general measure of health and weight, and it was never intended to be used that way. It's not an accurate measure of anything. Point remains, though, that doctors, insurance companies et al will use it as such; when one looks at athletes' BMI it's clear how inaccurate it is as a benchmark.

There's so much contradictory in there that I have literally no idea what you're trying to say.

Every time you sit there and accuse someone of being a "fat apologist" for bringing up the complexities of obesity and weight gain, - and also pointing out that it's possible to be athletic and large - you contribute to ignorance and prejudice. Period. End of discussion.

Having a large frame doesn't equal fat. If you're athletic and have muscle underneath, you're not obese. There's no ignorance and no prejudice. There's also no conflating of two completely different things. Unless you're convinced the average NFL O-lineman is the same as Monty Python's Mr. Creosote, in which case is (again) completely disingenuous.

You're taking on more water here than Gunga Din.

Strange, as his hair look really good during the last tour. He had had a ton of transplants, but looked good. So maybe it's just a fashion statement.

But he is in great form and shape. Forget the hair, Axl should carbon copy his fitness regime and diet.

No, it isn't. Except for the rare medical conditions, people who are overweight that change their diet and put effort into exercise lose weight and become healthier. I'm shocked anyone would even argue this point.

You're taking on more water here than Gunga Din.

I'm sorry, but what you are saying is completely fucking clueless and deliberately twisting the point.

Medical conditions associated with weight problems are not rare at all. Between lupus, PCOS, thyroid conditions, insulin resistance and so on, there are millions of people who are overweight because of medical conditions. Millions. There are also numerous genes associated with obesity. You can look at families with siblings with simlilar eating and exercise habits and see huge variations in weight. In addition, there you go again with "become healthier." Who's to say that the overweight person doesn't already exercise or have a good diet? Who's to say that an overweight person is NOT healthy? Unless you have their medical chart in front of you, you don't.

Arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall. You don't get it, you don't have the science education to understand it, and obviously can't think critically enough to comprehend. Bye! Blocking you now.

Edited by stella

Yes.

Off topic, but I just remembered someone that was at one of the Canadian gigs in 2010 met Axl and talked with him for ages, but said he wouldn't tell the full story until 5 years had passed. Anyone know if this guy is still around? It would at least be more interesting than seeing shit topics regarding Axl's looks.

I'm calling this guy out to tide us over until Bumble releases a new flavour of hot sauce.

That would be our dickhead Admin, downzy, who won't tell the story now because he's a dickhead Admin.

Has he officially said this?

Yes.

Off topic, but I just remembered someone that was at one of the Canadian gigs in 2010 met Axl and talked with him for ages, but said he wouldn't tell the full story until 5 years had passed. Anyone know if this guy is still around? It would at least be more interesting than seeing shit topics regarding Axl's looks.

I'm calling this guy out to tide us over until Bumble releases a new flavour of hot sauce.

That would be our dickhead Admin, downzy, who won't tell the story now because he's a dickhead Admin.
Has he officially said this?

He left out the part about him being a dickhead, but yeah.

• Like 1

Don't bother trying to have a civil discussion about this. There are a few people who defend (or always find an excuse) for anything that is related to Axl.

For the record, I couldn't care less how thin or fat Axl may or may not be. I just hope the dude is happy and healthy enough to continue putting out music.

The fat jokes just come with the territory of being a celebrity. Being a famous celebrity is going to make some women fawn all over with the "he is so sexy" comments........being a famous celebrity is also going to make people make fun of your weight gain/hair loss.

If you are Lena Dunham or Kim Kardashian you whine and cry about internet bullies......if you are Axl Rose I suspect you recline in your $5,000 chair, flick on your 98inch 3D TV and $25,000 sound system, ask your personal chef to make you a gourmet dinner, ponder what country you want to travel to on vacation, while you sit in your 10 million dollar mansion, look at your 50 million dollar bank account, and tell The Beta to call up two young hotties to come keep you "company" and then you just LAUGH at the internet people who are making weight jabs.

Edited by Apollo