Led Zeppelin

dalsh327

Ol' man Richards was in the papers slagging Zep and The Who off again, calling the former 'hollow'.

I agree on Zep who are a pile of shit compared to The Stones but he loses me with The Who. Probably still sour grapes over the Rock N' Roll Circus when The Who blew The Stones off stage.

• Like 3

He has a point about Keith Moon. Any other band he wouldn't have lasted. His chemistry with John and Pete made the Who work as a band. He is too out of control for other groups.

The Rolling Stones peaked in 1972 with Exile, but Zeppelin already dethroned them with IV, Holy and PG.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the DVD last night. Simply awful. Jimmy Page's guitar is either out of tune during the whole of the Royal Albert Hall show or he is playing it out of key throughout. At one point he sits down and performs this horrible tuneless meandering garbage called 'White Summer'. He gets his violin bow out at one stage and it can only remind one of Spinal Tap. Plant punctuates these tedious instrumental passages with a series of ''ahh ahh ahh''s and effeminate screeches and whines. Bonham does a solo which lasts forty minutes and is mind-numbingly tedious.

You clearly were a Zep fan at some point in your life, how do you go from liking a band to the point of owning all their albums to thinking they're near on worthless, what happened, when did this moment of realisation strike you? :lol:

I think there was an element of lying to myself because rock journalists and people bombarded me with the usually smug Zeppelin superiority: ''Led Zeppelin are the greatest band ever ever ever'' blah blah blah. Have you ever bought an album by somebody and it is horse manure but you sort of persuade yourself that you like it because A/ You have spent your hard earned cash on it and B/ You have looked forward to it and were carried along with the hype? Imagine that with an entire band.

I struggled with Nirvana and Iron Maiden also, bands that I sort of persuaded myself that I liked but really, if I was honest, were just utter shite.

He is better than Page but in my opinion violin bows should not have anything to do with guitars.

How can anyone say Page is a 'good' guitarist. This is awful, meandering bedroom doodling, out of tune, key, timeless masturbation,

What the fuck man? Page is one of the greatest guitar players that ever lived. Black Dog motherfucker. And he stole a lot of good shit too. Amazing producer as well.

As for the larping and the fact Bonham literally couldn't swing a sack of fuckin' shit as Ginger Baker said, it has nothing to do with the fact Page had the feel, the tone, the magic in his fingers. You must be joking or just ignorant or at the very least have shit taste in guitar playing

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I suppose I've given things more than their fair go due to acclaim, yes. Funnily enough I'd say it was the same with me and Zep too, the giving em more than a fair go bit...never really got to liking them, even to the point of delusion. You know who i did that with? Silverchair when their debut came out. To my credit though there was a little gravity given to them by the fact that some mad yank went and fuckin' shot someone having listened to their song Israels Son, it just made me think like 'wow, what must be on that album!' :lol:

He is better than Page but in my opinion violin bows should not have anything to do with guitars.

How can anyone say Page is a 'good' guitarist. This is awful, meandering bedroom doodling, out of tune, key, timeless masturbation,

What the fuck man? Page is one of the greatest guitar players that ever lived. Black Dog motherfucker. And he stole a lot of good shit too. Amazing producer as well.

As for the larping and the fact Bonham literally couldn't swing a sack of fuckin' shit as Ginger Baker said, it has nothing to do with the fact Page had the feel, the tone, the magic in his fingers. You must be joking or just ignorant or at the very least have a really shit taste in guitar playing

Listen to that clip.

Is it in tune? no.

Key? No

Is it meandering? Yes

Masturbation? Yes.

I rest my case.

I will freely admit that Page wrote a few good riffs but his solos are dreary and lack emotion.

You know he's right though :lol:

That clip sucked, Page still one of the greatest guitar players that ever lived. He was sloppy as shit and on heroin much of the time.

His riffs and solos are timeless. One of a kind for sure. Great guitar player, Diesel said he wasn't even a good guitar player. That's just ignorant.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I've heard all the Zep studio albums and yeah, there's no denying he's good, very good even...and he's come up with some exceptional riffs as Dies' mentioned...but he's not really a guitarist of the sort of like Jimi Hendrix, BB King etc, one of those you'd give up your religion to follow. Personal opinion though i suppose, he's clearly communicated something to millions across the world so who am i to argue?

• Like 1

I've heard all the Zep studio albums and yeah, there's no denying he's good, very good even...and he's come up with some exceptional riffs as Dies' mentioned...but he's not really a guitarist of the sort of like Jimi Hendrix, BB King etc, one of those you'd give up your religion to follow. Personal opinion though i suppose, he's clearly communicated something to millions across the world so who am i to argue?

Well he's not as good or as innovative as BB king was and no one was as good as Jimi. Imo.

But yeah, Page... you don't even have to like it. He obviously had something. To not admit he's a good guitar player is ludicrous.

I'm not even that much of a fan of Zeppelin, more of a Page fan. I appreciate what he did as a guitar player, it was brilliant. Even outside of Zeppelin he was great as a guitar player.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I never liked their overall sound and i can't put my finger on why. Sometimes i think tinny...but how can it be tinny with Bonzo pounding away back there and JPJ locked in there. Perhaps it's just that the music isn't very good and no amount of trying to assess the individuals and their playing and how it goes together will get to the root of my issue with em.

Edited by Len B'stard

There is something sacrilege about a womanish Elvan lover like Plant singing Willie Dixon. Zeppelin do not understand the timeless swing and rhythm of American blues and rock n' roll - this is something the Stones do so well. Zeppelin's sound is all bashed up and metalled up,. It is preening and pretentious. They took the elements of Hendrix and Cream yet forgot the main lesson.

At the time they were doing it, there wasn't this hipster blues purist thing that came around only after Zep and the rest of those British bands made people aware of the original blues guys. But so many bands of the time were taking songs they liked and doing their own thing with them.

At the time they were doing it, there wasn't this hipster blues purist thing that came around only after Zep and the rest of those British bands made people aware of the original blues guys. But so many bands of the time were taking songs they liked and doing their own thing with them.

Quite frankly all this bullshit about 'THE BLUES HAD COMPLETELY VANISHED UNTIL THE STONES REMINDED US ALL!' Is a load of fuckin' crap, people knew of the blues through Jazz and its connection there and a great many folk artists that sang blues songs...I mean it weren't Mick Jagger letting Lonnie Donnegan in on The Rock Island Line etc.

And Zep cannot possibly be included in amongst the first to bring blues to the forefront even out of the British rock n roll contingent. Alexis Korner and them were going in 60/61, Zep didnt form until 68 or 69.

Edited by Len B'stard