More than a thousand Muslims form a human shield around synagogue in Norway

Georgy Zhukov

The religious moderates need to be coming out and supporting each other, especially when it comes to anti-nuclear, which...should be interesting when Netanyahu is coming to DC.

You can't do anything about the extremists except arrest them if they cross the line, they're the fringe of society but do what the Mormons do, buy up a lot of land and become the majority in the state. Michigan would be my pick.

We see a bunch of deranged lunatics killing people in the name of Islam yet when a bunch of Muslims decided to demonstrate that they care and are willing to protect Jewish communities and you guys make a joke about it.

Because I think it's a joke that we ask shit like this of Muslims,

It would have been if that was the case. Which is wasn't. No one asked muslims to do anything. Some muslims in Oslo decided upon themselves that it would be a good idea to show solidarity with jews and to try to correct the idea an increasing number of Europeans have of muslims. So they organzied the event which became a big success. No joke here.

My God you're thick. :lol:

Norway? Please. Let them do it in Israel and I might give a bleep.

:lol:

Here we have it folks, reason in action :lol:

Hey, if people want to cerclejerk around mosques or synagogues, be my guest, just don't expect me to suddenly believe that as a "non-believer" I suddenly have to worry less about religious zealots and tax excluders on a crusade to brainwash anyone who disagrees with their fairytales.

At this point I'd rather see Stephen Hawking circle around any religious place, trolling them with rational thought.

• Like 1

Hey, if people want to cerclejerk around mosques or synagogues, be my guest, just don't expect me to suddenly believe that as a "non-believer" I suddenly have to worry less about religious zealots and tax excluders on a crusade to brainwash anyone who disagrees with their fairytales.

At this point I'd rather see Stephen Hawking circle around any religious place, trolling them with rational thought.

Fear often does this to peoples ability to exercise reason.

It's not about worrying less about the extremists, it is as simple as realizing that not all muslim are extremists or supporters of terrorism and ansti-semitism. It is astonishing that that point needs to be made, but unfortunately, as SS so clearly demonstrates, it does.

We see a bunch of deranged lunatics killing people in the name of Islam yet when a bunch of Muslims decided to demonstrate that they care and are willing to protect Jewish communities and you guys make a joke about it.

It would have been if that was the case. Which is wasn't. No one asked muslims to do anything. Some muslims in Oslo decided upon themselves that it would be a good idea to show solidarity with jews and to try to correct the idea an increasing number of Europeans have of muslims. So they organzied the event which became a big success. No joke here.

How so?

It's not about worrying less about the extremists, it is as simple as realizing that not all muslim are extremists or supporters of terrorism and ansti-semitism. It is astonishing that that point needs to be made, but unfortunately, as SS so clearly demonstrates, it does.

How so?

I think what he's getting at is that this instance is a result of people calling for muslims to give some sort of indication by way of statement or action that they are against this sort of thing. There was no mass call for them to do so in specific regard to this instance i.e. no one went 'y'see that synagogue over there? Prove it by joining hands around it, go on!' but you are aware of the existence of this sentiment among a great portion of non-muslims right? Well thats what he's sayin'.

How so?

I think what he's getting at is that this instance is a result of people calling for muslims to give some sort of indication by way of statement or action that they are against this sort of thing. There was no mass call for them to do so in specific regard to this instance i.e. no one went 'y'see that synagogue over there? Prove it by joining hands around it, go on!' but you are aware of the existence of this sentiment among a great portion of non-muslims right? Well thats what he's sayin'.

People have for a long time wanted muslims to counter the negative stereotype that has been building in the media. That doesn't mean that whenever such a thing happens it is due to that demand. And yes, if a particular rally or support event took place as direct result of other people asking them to do it, and nothing else, it would be a rather empty and pointless gesture. It must be a genuine expression of compassion and support. In this case, though, it seems to have been just that. It started with a few muslims who wanted to show support for jews in Norway, it spread over social media and suddenly a mass rally took place. Yes, it is a joke that "we ask shit like this of muslims", but in this case it had NOTHING to do with what we ask of them.

People have for a long time wanted muslims to counter the negative stereotype that has been building in the media. That doesn't mean that whenever such a thing happens it is due to that demand. And yes, if a particular rally or support event took place as direct result of other people asking them to do it, and nothing else, it would be a rather empty and pointless gesture. It must be a genuine expression of compassion and support. In this case, though, it seems to have been just that. It started with a few muslims who wanted to show support for jews in Norway, it spread over social media and suddenly a mass rally took place. Yes, it is a joke that "we ask shit like this of muslims", but in this case it had NOTHING to do with what we ask of them.

Fair enough but the bit about it not having anything to do with their being asked in the manner that we're discussing is just your opinion really isn't it? And it's not based on much either, spreading over social media isn't really indicative of it not being due to the sort of guilt that we're discussing, if thats the correct term. Where as there is a logic to what Mags is saying i.e. it's something that is sort of made a point of and then hey presto, it happens.

Fair enough but the bit about it not having anything to do with their being asked in the manner that we're discussing is just your opinion really isn't it? And it's not based on much either, spreading over social media isn't really indicative of it not being due to the sort of guilt that we're discussing, if thats the correct term. Where as there is a logic to what Mags is saying i.e. it's something that is sort of made a point of and then hey presto, it happens.

Of course there is a logic to 'pressured support rallies not being much to be happy about' :D But there is nothing to suggest this is the case here. So instead of acting all jaded and dismissive when something good happens, what about either shutting up or actually be a bit supportive of it? The participants did a good thing, nothing suggests they did it because of external pressure, let's be happy about it because rallies like this ought to counter some of the spreading islamophobia in Norway.

Of course there is a logic to 'pressured support rallies not being much to be happy about' :D

You're the one that needed it explainin', not me! :lol:

But there is nothing to suggest this is the case here.

Well yes there is, the fact that its come after. Thats at least something of an indicator. Now tell me what there is to suggest that it was all a totally organic thing that has nothing to do with the aforementioned pressure?

So instead of acting all jaded and dismissive when something good happens, what about either shutting up or actually be a bit supportive of it?

So...agree with the way i think or keep quiet? :lol:

The participants did a good thing, nothing suggests they did it because of external pressure

Well the fact that there is external pressure to do some shit like this and then it happened is more of an indicator of said pressure being effective in making muslim act according to it than your position of it's not the case because...uh, social media had something to do with it?

Of course there is a logic to 'pressured support rallies not being much to be happy about' :D

You're the one that needed it explainin', not me! :lol:

I never did. My point all the time that this wasn't a case of the above :shrugs:

But there is nothing to suggest this is the case here.

Well yes there is, the fact that its come after. Thats at least something of an indicator. Now tell me what there is to suggest that it was all a totally organic thing that has nothing to do with the aforementioned pressure?

We can't probe the minds of the organizers and ascertain whether they weren't at all feeling pressured into doing it. Based on the interviews I have read and the media coverage here in Norway, I don't think they were pressured, but did it because they genuinely wanted to show solidarity with jews and wanted to adjust the negative portrayel of muslims in the media. They wanted to have their voice heard, not only the voices of salafists and other extremists.

And duh, of course it had to come after. That's correlation not causality..

So instead of acting all jaded and dismissive when something good happens, what about either shutting up or actually be a bit supportive of it?

So...agree with the way i think or keep quiet? :lol:

No, more a case of: if you don't have anything constructive or positive to say, but rather want to dismiss and mock a genuinely good thing, then I think you'd better shut up.

I think I'll shut up and stop acting jaded since SoulMonster says so and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is a good thing. :lol:

I welcome you to argue why a rally in support of jew-muslim friendship can be anything but a good thing :shrugs:

Edited by SoulMonster

I already made my point clear. It's not my problem that you don't understand it. Everyone else seems to.

We're not talking about whether it's sad that muslims feel obligated to such acts,w hich was your profound comment in this thread. We agree on that, but it is also irrelevant to what took place and serves no pont rather than to establish the obvious. This discussion has passed on, and beyond, you.

I never did. My point all the time that this wasn't a case of the above :shrugs:

So what was the 'how so?' about, you wanting me to walk you through the bleedin' obvious?

We can't probe the minds of the organizers and ascertain whether they weren't at all feeling pressured into doing it.

Right, which is why declarations to the contrary are a bit silly. What we can do though is go by the instances and variables that we can say for certain exist i.e. we know there is pressure and we see an act that may or may not be a response to it. Thats something of an indicator, there's something of substance there to possibly make a case behind, what you are doing is just waffling.

Based on the interviews I have read and the media coverage here in Norway, I don't think they were pressured, but did it because they genuinely wanted to show solidarity with jews and wanted to adjust the negative portrayel of muslims in the media. They wanted to have their voice heard, not only the voices of salafists and other extremists.

What about the interviews makes you say that would be the specific that would clear up what your position here is based upon.

And duh, of course it had to come after. That's correlation not causality..

Do you want a slap? :lol: I'm stating the obvious because you are having trouble seeing the obvious, the point i was making with that very obvious concept is that there is something to suggest or point towards Magses position being a reality, there is nothing to suggest the same for yours, although this is typical of the Soulmonster unveiling process that it takes 500 posts before you actually say the fuckin' pertinent shit.

So what is it Soulie?

I got a feeling.

Where'd you get the feeling?

From the muslims

How?

From things they said

What did they say?

Can you not make this whole fuckin' waltz a little easier and just say what the fuck it is that made you think that it was a spontaeneous organic unprompted thing instead of making me have to wade through all this fucking foreplay, I mean do you not get whats being asked of you here, what, what, WHAAAAAT did they say that makes you think that, how difficult is that?!? :lol:

No, more a case of: if you don't have anything constructive or positive to say, but rather want to dismiss and mock a genuinely good thing, then I think you'd better shut up.

Well the same could be said of you Soulie, if you can't do anything other than make vague statements and then prevaricate instead of explaining yourself then perhaps you should shut up. Why is in not constructive to point out when something is spurious? Part of the resolution of issues is identifying a problem when there is one, it's not counter-productive or non-constructive when someone points and goes 'thats bullshit' when something is clearly bullshit or rather one considers something to be bullshit.

But I've been prodding and poking at the same fuckin' thing and it's a really simple idea, one more time now, Mags says it's a response to pressure. There is a logic there because the pressure exists therefore it happened, you could make a case there, there's something to argue with. Now you explain why you are certain, to the point of deeming it appropriate to tell contrary opinions to shut the fuck up, that it is not due to pressure but rather a spontaeneous or organic act on the part of the group in question.

Mags says it's a response to pressure.

Just to be clear, because I do care that you understand what I'm saying, I don't necessarily think that each one of the people consciously felt and identified the pressure to act the Good Muslim and proceeded accordingly to shield a synagogue, although I'd bet there is some of that in there. I'd bet that many of them simply think they're doing a good and decent thing. That's the depth to Uncle Tom. It's not that he said, "Oh, these white people are afraid of me so I'd better do everything I can to show that I love them and that I'm just like them." No. This shit works on a much subtler and more insidious level.

• Like 1