Best riff writers?

Towelie

All the same yeah?

Never said that. But yeah, I guess I prefer more versatile players. I'll take Hubert Sumlin's varied playing over Chuck's way of doing it. I only enjoy his main works. 1957 to 1959, with some exceptions.

No, what you said was repetitive and not versatile so i showed you examples of him playing different styles.

Hubert Sumlins a fuckin' G though. Suprised you've heard of him.

No, I was specifically talking about his riffs, and the clip that was posted saying it sounded very similar. When I want to listen to a more varied style Chuck doesn't come to mind. The clips you have posted are not my cup of tea, but they don't represent most of his classic albums imo.

Why you so surprised? seems kinda arrogant like it's obvious it would be someone you know but not me lol. That's cuntish and doesn't become you sir.

All the same yeah?

Never said that. But yeah, I guess I prefer more versatile players. I'll take Hubert Sumlin's varied playing over Chuck's way of doing it. I only enjoy his main works. 1957 to 1959, with some exceptions.

No, what you said was repetitive and not versatile so i showed you examples of him playing different styles.

Hubert Sumlins a fuckin' G though. Suprised you've heard of him.

No, I was specifically talking about his riffs, and the clip that was posted saying it sounded very similar. When I want to listen to a more varied style Chuck doesn't come to mind. The clips you have posted are not my cup of tea, but they don't represent most of his classic albums imo.

Why you so surprised? seems kinda arrogant like it's obvious it would be someone you know but not me lol. That's cuntish and doesn't become you sir.

You got ALL that from 'suprised you've heard of him'? :lol: its nothing like that man, I just didnt think that kinda thing was within your taste from what little i know about it. Come to that, I'm not sure what you like, George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, am i correct?

At any rate i meant blues type stuff, sorry if you thought i meant 'Ahahahahahahahahaha, you thick cunt, haven't you heard of Hubert Sumlin? Why EVERYBODYS heard of him!' :lol:

I'm 31 years old man, a persons value to me is not predicated on their knowledge of guitar players :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

The only proof you need of Berry's superiority is, John Lennon saying he ''is rock n' roll'' or Keith Richards slathering over him on Hail Hail. The fact of the matter is, the great British bands of the 1960s - your Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Animals - all worshiped at the alter of Chuck Berry.

• Like 1

Theres a vid out there of him doing demos of killing floor and all sorts, proper sick :)

The only proof you need of Berry's superiority is, John Lennon saying he ''is rock n' roll'' or Keith Richards slathering over him on Hail Hail. The fact of the matter is, the great British bands of the 1960s - your Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Animals - all worshiped at the alter of Chuck Berry.

Fuck Keith Richards, i dont need some choirboy from Richmond to tell me when its peeing down.

Theres a vid out there of him doing demos of killing floor and all sorts, proper sick :)

Fuck Keith Richards, i dont need some choirboy from Richmond to tell me when its peeing down.

You really don't love Keith at the moment, aye? :lol:

For those unfamiliar, I made a video:

Not gonna lie, they all sound pretty much in the same parking space.

Yeah, and some people still argue about this for pages...

jesus man, this forum has reached a new low, when Len so blatantly and blindly defend and worship a man, who made ONE great riff

yeah that riff was enough for him for the rest of his life, but c'mon...

These are the same, doesn't matter if the tempo changes etc.

Btw this topic is about the best riff writers so i assume the best riff writers wrote more riffs than ONE good riff (reagrdless of how that riff revolutionize genres)

With all the shit you've talked about, what he has done and correcting me (yes, sorry, I meant "will be") you failed to really get my point: there are many riff writers that came up with a style, kept writing in that style but the riffs in their songs have been far more versatile, fresh, and unique enough compared to what they did in the past.

Oh i get what you're saying completely, i just don't agree with it and furthermore those 5 or 6 songs or however many there are of Chucks that Chuck has where thats the intro do not stand for his entire catalogue.

You can talk about how great he is and jazz influences all you want man, but personally I hear the perfect example of what makes it less interesting for me when I listen to Chuck in that clip with all the riffs sounding very similar.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding me, i wasn't saying that there was like some kind of subtle convoluted vague influence thing where you say 'hmm, he drew from Jazz there' I'm saying he actually played that style, same with blues, same with that Hawaiian shit, same with rock n roll.
I guess it's a matter of taste when it comes down to it, i appreciate the subtlety of the difference in those runs and you feel they are similar to the point of appearing repetitive, i guess it's just all down to what a person picks up on in a tune, it's cool :)
All the same yeah?

defending chuck berry for pages

links blues standard licks mostly....

congrats, you just diminished your musical knowledge legacy here

defending chuck berry for pages

links blues standard licks mostly..

So what are we saying now, that it's not versatility unless you play something that isn't a well established staple of the genre? Explain that one to me without making yourself look a cunt :lol:

congrats, you just diminished your musical knowledge legacy here

On second thoughts, nevermind :lol: