Hair Care

Snake-Pit

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love it how you see Yanks start to use terms like 'wanker' on the net. History comes full circle.

Wanker don't show up earlier cuz it's not really an old English term as such, it's very much a 20th Century thing.  Or turn of that century.  What I find funny is that you can hear wanker on daytime TV in America...but then words like hell or damn are a problem.  I guess that's a religious thing innit, cursing in the religious sense.  I suppose when you just pick a word up it doesn't have the baggage it does in its nation of origin.  If someone calls someone a wanker here on daytime TV it'll make the papers the next morning.  

David Haye called Tony Bellew a bellend on Sky Sports the other week, that was funny, the reporter was like...edging him out of the frame :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Wanker don't show up earlier cuz it's not really an old English term as such, it's very much a 20th Century thing.  Or turn of that century.  What I find funny is that you can hear wanker on daytime TV in America...but then words like hell or damn are a problem.  I guess that's a religious thing innit, cursing in the religious sense.  I suppose when you just pick a word up it doesn't have the baggage it does in its nation of origin.  If someone calls someone a wanker here on daytime TV it'll make the papers the next morning.  

David Haye called Tony Bellew a bellend on Sky Sports the other week, that was funny, the reporter was like...edging him out of the frame :lol:

So is wanker considered a swear word there? And what's a bellend? Never heard of that one.

16 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

So is wanker considered a swear word there? And what's a bellend? Never heard of that one.

Wanker is indeed a swear word, you wont hear it on telly until late at night.  Its not even a matter of it being considered a certain way, it just is a swear word.  Bellend is a more sort of...20th Century schoolboy one which means dick.  With the wanker thing i think America etc just heard it and presumed it was a silly little insult to denote idiot without much closer a look.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I was going to say ''over to Len'' as he is an expert on these things.

It is rather ironic seeing Americans say these words as we went through a whole period during the '80s and '90s when (modern) Americanisms like ''suck'' became rife, but now with the onset of the internet the Britons are chucking their lingo into the mix. Australianisms used to appear also during that period as a consequence of Neighbours and Home and Away. Am I the only one who remembers a time when Australians used to use the word ''spunky'' to denote someone ''hot'' (as Axlsfavourite would say): ''he is a real spunky guy''. That never quite caught on in Britain (for obvious reasons).

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was going to say ''over to Len'' as he is an expert on these things.

It is rather ironic seeing Americans say these words as we went through a whole period during the '80s and '90s when (modern) Americanisms like ''suck'' became rife, but now with the onset of the internet the Britons are chucking their lingo into the mix. Australianisms used to appear also during that period as a consequence of Neighbours and Home and Away. Am I the only one who remembers a time when Australians used to use the word ''spunky'' to denote someone ''hot'' (as Axlsfavourite would say): ''he is a real spunky guy''. That never quite caught on in Britain (for obvious reasons).

It don't fuckin' sound right coming from us :lol:  Actually i think we're more overly bothered about this shit that other nations, no one wants to 'look a cunt' around here.  I do have a problem with these becoming this homogenised one size fits all American version of the English language, i must say.  You hear it in lots of ways, certain phrases that just don't belong in an English accent, like for instances 'it's all good', you hear that a lot these days.  And 'feelin' it' to denote liking or approving of something, I'm feelin' that, I ain't feelin' that etc etc.  I heard it on Eastenders the other day, it's like you're meant to be the fuckin' East End, this ain't a Jay Z album.  And it's a fuckin' middle aged woman saying it too.  

7 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I'm feeling a little left out, I don't think we Canadians have contributed any phrases to the mainstream!..we just appropriate others' I guess :lol:

I do know that "spunky" as hot never caught on here either.. that one just sounds..wrong. lol. 

Well you gave America "hosers", which led to "hosed", which is pretty much every day slang. 

I went to college in northern NY near the border. I still remember the first time I heard a Canadian TA call the z axis the "zed" axis. Used to love crossing the border to Quebec- drinking age 18! And French speaking strippers! And strong as hell Molson! Good times, eh?

12 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I'm feeling a little left out, I don't think we Canadians have contributed any phrases to the mainstream!..we just appropriate others' I guess :lol:

I do know that "spunky" as hot never caught on here either.. that one just sounds..wrong. lol. 

To illustrate the offensive nature of the term wanker, its pretty much fighting words, if you call someone a wanker in an argument theres a good chance fists might fly.  Literally speaking it means one who masturbates but its also the same as calling someone a pussy or a dickhead or something.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To illustrate the offensive nature of the term wanker, its pretty much fighting words, if you call someone a wanker in an argument theres a good chance fists might fly.  Literally speaking it means one who masturbates but its also the same as calling someone a pussy or a dickhead or something.

Wow. I can see that leading to big problems for an uninformed American who has had a few too many in a London pub or something, and decides to do a little friendly ball busting, and breaks out the English word he learned on the internet! 

I don't think we have one particular fightin word in America. We use em all in good fun. For us, it's more about the volume level they're spoken at I'd say...

14 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Well you gave America "hosers", which led to "hosed", which is pretty much every day slang. 

I went to college in northern NY near the border. I still remember the first time I heard a Canadian TA call the z axis the "zed" axis. Used to love crossing the border to Quebec- drinking age 18! And French speaking strippers! And strong as hell Molson! Good times, eh?

You are so right, we obviously Rock! :P 

And has "eh" caught on anywhere else? Just wondering..cause we do actually use it alot. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yikes, I had no idea. Oopsies, I called Pappytron a wanker a little while ago. Sorry Pappy! :tongue2:

Edited by Whiskey Rose

28 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Wow. I can see that leading to big problems for an uninformed American who has had a few too many in a London pub or something, and decides to do a little friendly ball busting, and breaks out the English word he learned on the internet! 

I don't think we have one particular fightin word in America. We use em all in good fun. For us, it's more about the volume level they're spoken at I'd say...

Oh definitely, context has a bearing but like...it's not a nice word, you wouldn't call it to someone who could kick your head in cuz they might.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

You are so right, we obviously Rock! :P 

And has "eh" caught on anywhere else? Just wondering..cause we do actually use it alot. :lol:

Yikes, I had no idea. Oopsies, I called Pappytron a wanker a little while ago. Sorry Pappy! :tongue2:

Pappys an intelligent educated man, it won't bother him on a forum like that, I come from a bit more of an ignorant perspective I guess :lol:

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

pram as in baby carriage? :D

Even I never heard of that, whats a fuckin' pramface? :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Prevent excessive oiliness?  Yeah, course it does!

if that prevents excess oiliness i do not want to see what product causes it! oh hair tip from me...when i was six i poured like a whole bottle of baby oil in my hair. my mom had cats :lol: don't do this :P

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Pappys an intelligent educated man, it won't bother him on a forum like that, I come from a bit more of an ignorant perspective I guess :lol:

Even I never heard of that, whats a fuckin' pramface? :lol:

baby carriage face?? :lol:

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

if that prevents excess oiliness i do not want to see what product causes it! oh hair tip from me...when i was six i poured like a whole bottle of baby oil in my hair. my mom had cats :lol: don't do this :P

In my younger days i used to use this shit  called Dax wax, it comes in a red tin, to get my hair all spikey and Sid Vicious-esque.  It came up a lot more urgent than Sids and FUCK MEEEE was that shit hard to get out of your hair afterwards, that shit was like fuckin' cement.  And being someone who had a tendency to sign off drunk as fuck at 2am without washing it out I'd wake up with all the shit all over my face and pillow, it was horrible.  It's really hard to give you a comparison, the shit was really like cement, it was so cementey it was hard to even get out of the tin, i used to jus rub it onto the tips of my fingers and use them to spike up my hair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

well i like the Sid Vicious-y part! was that like the only stuff you could use :D

I actually heard of it from my friend who went to prison and apparently this stuff was like the only kind of hair thing you could get there.  The blue tin...i used the red one cuz it was stronger.  I just googled it and came up with a thousand articles about it promoting hair loss and being considered like, bottom of the barrel bullshit that is very very bad for your hair.  Apparently I missed that meeting, whoops :lol:  Well I ain't bald yet so thats a good sign I suppose.  It's made out of beeswax apparently? 

Sid used to use vaseline and talcum powder.  He even tried, oddly, sticking his head in an oven :lol:  Don't ask me! :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I actually heard of it from my friend who went to prison and apparently this stuff was like the only kind of hair thing you could get there.  The blue tin...i used the red one cuz it was stronger.  I just googled it and came up with a thousand articles about it promoting hair loss and being considered like, bottom of the barrel bullshit that is very very bad for your hair.  Apparently I missed that meeting, whoops :lol:  Well I ain't bald yet so thats a good sign I suppose.  It's made out of beeswax apparently? 

Sid used to use vaseline and talcum powder.  He even tried, oddly, sticking his head in an oven :lol:  Don't ask me! :lol:

for hair care or to pull a Sylvia Plath?? :lol: