SHENMUE III

Amir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is amazing. This Korean kid uploaded this video last year of him attempting to remake Shenmue in HD:

And now he's working on Shenmue III. Dreams do come true.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue

Can Suzuki make the game that he wants, though, with the resources and technology at hand? "I could do with a bit more money! The game itself doesn't have to be gorgeous visually - a lot of the money these days goes into the graphics. If we perhaps compromise on the graphics and put more into the story, we can make a good game. The most important thing, to me, is that the game's interesting, and that it's something people want to play."

While I'm a bit bummed it won't be the graphical showcase the first two games were, I'm glad that story and gameplay have priority over graphics.

Also agree with Yu Suzuki and the author of the article here:

The format for Shenmue 3 remains largely untouched from the one laid out at the series' genesis in the 90s. "We had a clear format through to Shenmue 3. This time, we readjusted the structure, and made a new story for Shenmue 3. It's not exactly the same as the one we initially planned, though it has some overlap. The concept's the same. The essential idea and concept has never changed. What's changed is what's possible with the technology available. The idea, and the concept, hasn't changed. The tool - Unreal Engine 4 [the engine being used for Shenmue 3] - that's changed."

I'm actually pleased that Shenmue won't be modernised - that it won't be stuffed full of markers and objectives, and that its map won't be conquered slowly over time by taking down Lucky Hit parlour owners. Shenmue's open worlds were always strange, plodding places, but it's precisely that which has helped them retain their appeal, and which makes returning to the originals worthwhile even now. Hearing that Shenmue 3 is looking to retain that, and more besides, is heartening.

I'm surprised other investors haven't come forward after the success of the Kickstarter, but I guess Suzuki hasn't always been terribly business-oriented.

There's a great 1up interview from 2010 with Suzuki in two parts here and here, think it's interesting comparing how down he was back then to how excited he is now that he can make Shenmue III.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Environments look great, and I'm really impressed with the mo-cap for the bodily animations, very smooth. Facial animations need work, already seeing a lot of comments about that on YouTube and reddit comparing it to Mass Effect: Andromeda. That said, we're a year from release and I'm optimistic that facial animations are being saved for the end when voice acting is done.

Character models are rough but the detail on things like the tea set is fantastic.

Can't wait to ride the Choubou boat :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Reckon this will come to the Switch? I'll get it if it does.

Very much doubt it. Confirmed only for PS4 and PC, don't think it'll come to the Xbone, either. I bought a gaming laptop pretty much in anticipation for this (and DOOM 2016).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...