Why I find Slash incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

Towelie

Wouldn't count on it, at this point in his career he looks like he's really into what he's doing with MK&C.

For sure, I have no expectation of it :) . Just my wish as a major slash devotee haha.

I feel like comfort is ultimately the enemy of really great music.

Edited by Ant

most would agree Slash wrote his best stuff with Izzy.

A lot of that was Slash writing parts to compliment the ideas Izzy's brought in. Izzy was the more prolific initiator of songs back then. Slash would just take those and make them heavier and turn them into more riff based hard rock.

That's another myth along the likes of Axl being a perfectionist.

I don't know about myth, you can definitely hear it in the songs they did together, and the songs they did apart afterwards.

Still, Slash brought in a ton of great riffs that were the foundation to classic Guns songs. WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City and many more.

Izzy was crucial to the construction of Appetite as well. Out Ta Get Me, Brownstone, My Michelle, You're Crazy, Nightrain. All songs Slash made 10 times better imo. They were the perfect guitar duo.

Even Ghost has some of that magic. Like it sounds right, it fits their 2 distinct guitar styles create something unique.

I wish the Illusions had that guitar interplay.

Crazy that one of the best musical elements about Guns was Izzy and Slash weaving together riffs, leads, and chords and that wasn't a part of UYI.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Duff write the Jungle riff?

lmao

Too Far Gone has a cool riff, solo, and breakdown.

I do like parts of it, but the lyrics are so bland they annoy me.

What i find incredibly frustrating about Slashes solo work is the lack of a certain precocious ginger warbling over em. Sorry to state the obvious.

Do you not rate Slash's solo work at all, Len?

No Safari Inn?

I preferred Watch This.

Safari Inn is boring, although I've probably only listened to it twice through.

I love Safari Inn - one of the few tracks I really like on WOF, actually. I wish Slash would take more risks, creatively. Seeing him live was amazing but I'm not over-excited by some of his solo album work.

He's a once in a lifetime talent. Fuck doing alright. And fuck thinking 50 requires you to slow down :).

This I agree with too, despite some of my frustrations. A superb talent - but I guess I'm not into the MK and the C stuff that much.

He's never really been a blues guy though. There's bluesy elements in his playing. But he doesn't really do pure blues.

And as for hard rock, that's him 100%. If he were to do Gary Moore type work it'd be closer to Thunder Rising or Out In The Fields, than Midnight Blues, or Still Got The Blues.

Edited by moreblack

He's never really been a blues guy though. There's bluesy elements in his playing. But he doesn't really do pure blues.

And as for hard rock, that's him 100%. If he were to do Gary Moore type work it'd be closer to Thunder Rising or Out In The Fields, than Midnight Blues, or Still Got The Blues.

lol

I don't think anybody says he is bb king 2

Edited by Strange Broue

lol

I don't think anybody says he is bb king 2

It's one thing to do covers. It's another to make a Joe Bonamassa type of album.

Well regarding a blues album Slash has already somewhere; he said never say never but not his plan right now, he prefers to keep focus on Conspirators + his movies.

He prefers to focus on his chosen genre. It's what he does best. A blues album could limit Slash, but I admit it sounds interesting. Maybe at least a couple of tunes, but he's more of a rock guitar player.

Exactly, he couldn't possibly top the best blues players that are already out there. But he can always write something like Anastasia.

I think he is more varied musically like inside what he does. He incorporates new elements and flourishes but it's still hard rock.

He's also finally doing more interesting song structures which was lacking in the past especially on his solo album and Contraband imo.

I hope Conspirators 3 builds upon what they did with World On Fire. Make it short and sweet like the early Aerosmith albums.

I totally believe they can top World On Fire and I listen to it often. The consistency of this band and momentum is what gonna really help them imo. You don't have to spend too much time in the studio to create a great album if you're inspired.

Alice in Chains went into a studio with no intention to actually record an album or anything written with a bass player that has never written with them before. They wrote and recorded Jar Of Flies in a week.

Edited by Rovim