Why I find Slash incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

Towelie

You can tell he's not playing it out of some sense of joy or love for the song, he's playing it because the fans want to hear it. Even if he doesn't. It's probably the same with Iommi and Paranoid, or Clapton with Layla.

He said in a interview its one of his favorite songs to play

https://youtu.be/W2XDrBB3eFw?t=2m24s

Edited by Gibbo 27

The thing I find frustrating about him is that it seems like he has no real desire to ever push outside of his comfort zone. Every once in a while he puts out a killer song like the one Towelie posted, but more often than not he just writes the same sort of thing we've heard from him since Guns ended. But maybe I'm just spoiled from listening to prog-inclined bands for so long.

It's partly that, I mean he's got his style and he's good at what he does. But if you expect Robert Fripp type progressions, he's not your guy.

Yeah, by prog-inclined I meant more along the lines of bands that simply try to push their sounds into other areas and progress. I can't say I listen to any true King Crimson-esque prog, but I see where I was vague about that, haha. You're right, he does have a style, but knowing the guy once wrote for songs like November Rain, Anastasia, Estranged, it's sort of depressing, because he DOES have it in him.

I can't believe people love Beneath The Savage Sun so much, I mean don't get me wrong it'as a good song but I'd hardly consider it one of slash's best, doesn't stand out much to me when i listen to WOF.

It's one of the songs on WOF that has some cool things that Slash does. Kinda expands it a little and I would like to hear more of that on his next album.

Love his lead work in it too. The structure of the song is more interesting compared to Slash's usual. (like his first solo album it's the same structure for every song basically)

I can't believe people love Beneath The Savage Sun so much, I mean don't get me wrong it'as a good song but I'd hardly consider it one of slash's best, doesn't stand out much to me when i listen to WOF.

I think it's a wonderful track. It's all about this part for me:

"How many bleeding and how many die?

All for the greed of an ivory lie

When will they see what they’ve done isn't right?

The blood that they spill could not be justified

How many bleeding and how many die?

Blood that they spill could not be justified"

Then silence. And boom, the solo starts. Awesome part of the song. And as much shit as I give Myles I have to give the man credit for his haunting vocal delivery on that bridge, with his falsetto backing vocals. Best moment on the entire album.

I guarantee you others will dislike some of the songs you listed on your imaginary album while loving others you think are just filler.

In fact you left off my two favorite Slash solo songs.

Out of curiousity, which songs are you referring to?

I guarantee you others will dislike some of the songs you listed on your imaginary album while loving others you think are just filler.

Tell me how you know the song you mentioned is Slash's most popular solo song and I will tell you mine. ;):lol:

Tell me how you know the song you mentioned is Slash's most popular solo song and I will tell you mine. ;):lol:

You drive a hard bargain! ;)

Well it's second only to Anastasia in terms of the number of streams it has on Spotify. It's also the only Slash video I've seen being played on music channels.

You drive a hard bargain! ;)

Well it's second only to Anastasia in terms of the number of streams it has on Spotify. It's also the only Slash video I've seen being played on music channels.

That just means it is most popular on Spotify. Not everyone listens to Spotify. I don't and many people I know don't.

In any case fair enough.

My two favorite Slash solo songs are Ghost any and Back to Cali. I never analyzed them I just love the riffs and groove of them.

• Like 1

I find it frustrating that he works with a singer who doesn't compliment his guitar tone. Myles fits better with Alter Bridge / Tremonti. I think his talent is wasted with Myles as a singer. Also, I always liked Slash better as a band member than a solo artist, so I hope he finds or starts a band again.

I really like a lot of his songs but Myles's voice sometimes irritates me. Almost like it throws the song off, and Like you said his voice is better suited for AB. We all know Slash has problems finding a singer so I guess he saw someone with a wide range and said lets do this.

Too Far Gone has a cool riff, solo, and breakdown.

I do like parts of it, but the lyrics are so bland they annoy me.

What i find incredibly frustrating about Slashes solo work is the lack of a certain precocious ginger warbling over em. Sorry to state the obvious.

Do you not rate Slash's solo work at all, Len?

No Safari Inn?

I preferred Watch This.

Safari Inn is boring, although I've probably only listened to it twice through.

I liked its five o clock somewhere, i liked Libertad but thats not really him solo. Didnt think much of the rest ive heard, aint life grand and the one album with cypress hill on it.

This song right here is why I find Slash to be incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

I consider this to be one of the best songs he's ever written, killer solos, breathtakingly haunting bridge section and a very poignant message in the lyrics. And yet this gem sits alongside utter tripe like Iris of The Storm, Dirty Girl, Avalon and Too Far Gone.

The man lacks quality control. No album needs 17 songs. No album with 12+ songs has ever been free of filler and a song like Beneath The Savage Sun should be the measure by which he judges his own material, instead of diluting the great tunes with masses of throwaway, meaningless filler tracks.

Imagine if he'd only put out one album with Myles and The Conspirators and used the best cuts from Apocalyptic Love and World On Fire to put together a tight, kick-ass 10 track rock album. Something along these lines:

1. Beneath The Savage Sun

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

^^ This would be one of the best rock albums from the last 5 years.

To me, I would respect Slash so much more and be far more excited for his album releases - even if they were only once every 4 years - if he took a bit more time over his albums and only put out the cream of the crop, instead of filling up every disc to maximum capacity and boring us to tears with so much unnecessary filler.

so wait, you thinks slash sucks as a solo artist because he puts out an album w 10 songs you really like and 7 you think of as filler? if you took every album that's ever been put out in the last 10 years and tried to find 10 good songs on every album do you think you could? or 58% of an album thats good? very rarely are albums filled with great song after great song, regardless of the artist and just because you think of something as filler, it may be the greatest thing ever to the next person.

I find Slash frustrating for never having worked with Eddie Vedder.

They were on opposite sides of the Grunge vs 80s Rock divide unfortunately.

he already played with a monotone singer with no range whatsoever with scott

I think it's a wonderful track. It's all about this part for me:

"How many bleeding and how many die?

All for the greed of an ivory lie

When will they see what they’ve done isn't right?

The blood that they spill could not be justified

How many bleeding and how many die?

Blood that they spill could not be justified"

Then silence. And boom, the solo starts. Awesome part of the song. And as much shit as I give Myles I have to give the man credit for his haunting vocal delivery on that bridge, with his falsetto backing vocals. Best moment on the entire album.

best moment on the album for me is myles delivery right before the solo on the unholy, with this a close 2nd and I just love the intro riff to withered delilah

I'm yet to year a single Slash song that I really like. Anastasia's riff is cool, but that's about it. Someone needs to junkie him up again.

By the Sword, Back from Cali, The Unholy, Withered Delilah, Apocolyptic Love, Starlight, Anastasia all have a classic guns sound to them

• Like 1

This song right here is why I find Slash to be incredibly frustrating as a solo artist.

I consider this to be one of the best songs he's ever written, killer solos, breathtakingly haunting bridge section and a very poignant message in the lyrics. And yet this gem sits alongside utter tripe like Iris of The Storm, Dirty Girl, Avalon and Too Far Gone.

The man lacks quality control. No album needs 17 songs. No album with 12+ songs has ever been free of filler and a song like Beneath The Savage Sun should be the measure by which he judges his own material, instead of diluting the great tunes with masses of throwaway, meaningless filler tracks.

Imagine if he'd only put out one album with Myles and The Conspirators and used the best cuts from Apocalyptic Love and World On Fire to put together a tight, kick-ass 10 track rock album. Something along these lines:

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

To me, I would respect Slash so much more and be far more excited for his album releases - even if they were only once every 4 years - if he took a bit more time over his albums and only put out the cream of the crop, instead of filling up every disc to maximum capacity and boring us to tears with so much unnecessary filler.

so wait, you thinks slash sucks as a solo artist because he puts out an album w 10 songs you really like and 7 you think of as filler? if you took every album that's ever been put out in the last 10 years and tried to find 10 good songs on every album do you think you could? or 58% of an album thats good? very rarely are albums filled with great song after great song, regardless of the artist and just because you think of something as filler, it may be the greatest thing ever to the next person.

First, I never said Slash sucks as a solo artist, I just said I found him frustrating.

And secondly, my list took the best songs from TWO albums, not one. That was my whole point. Slash could've put out one of the best rock albums of the last 5 years if he'd taken the best cuts from AL and the best from WOF and made one solid album.

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

First, I never said Slash sucks as a solo artist, I just said I found him frustrating.

And secondly, my list took the best songs from TWO albums, not one. That was my whole point. Slash could've put out one of the best rock albums of the last 5 years if he'd taken the best cuts from AL and the best from WOF and made one solid album.

Point being made was that, that's based on YOUR opinion. While you included some great songs, you left off some of my favorites, too. I'm happy with what he's released. I'd rather have heard everything and decide which ones I like rather than have had them held back.

• Like 1

I find Slash frustrating for never having worked with Eddie Vedder.

They were on opposite sides of the Grunge vs 80s Rock divide unfortunately.

he already played with a monotone singer with no range whatsoever with scott

Let's be honest, that didn't last very long.

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

Point being made was that, that's based on YOUR opinion. While you included some great songs, you left off some of my favorites, too. I'm happy with what he's released. I'd rather have heard everything and decide which ones I like rather than have had them held back.

Well, it boils down to the old quality vs quantity debate. I personally respect artists who are able to evaluate and judge the merits of their own work and only put out the cream of the crop, rather than those who just put out everything and 50% of their catalogue is underwhelming.

Each to their own though.

2. You're A Lie

3. Wicked Stone

4. No More Heroes

5. Anastasia

6. Not For Me

7. Shots Fired

8. Battleground

9. 30 Years To Life

10. The Unholy

Well, it boils down to the old quality vs quantity debate. I personally respect artists who are able to evaluate and judge the merits of their own work and only put out the cream of the crop, rather than those who just put out everything and 50% of their catalogue is underwhelming.

Each to their own though.

yeah but by your logic my favorite song would be cut cause you don't like it -- make a playlist of your favorite songs off both albums if it bothers you that much -- just because something is quality to you, it cold be filler to someone else and vice versa

• Like 1

I feel like Slash's current way of writing is to come up with with a decent riff and then write a generic song for it without much thought. WoF, which I mostly enjoy, is full of songs that have 2-3 killer riffs that don't fit together or with the rest of the song. Verses with nothing going on in them (not in the soft loud soft style of song, either), just a quick interlude before getting back to the chorus riff. It kind of feels like Slash's approach to writing is "this is cool, good enough, lets record now". His post two Conspirators albums feel like a conscious effort to not put too much thought or time into any one song.

Which, of course, leads to 15-17 song albums which could be cut down to 12-13, with the time spent on those extra filler songs that could have been spent making the good songs better.

• Like 1

1996 -2015 summary

2 snakepit albums

2 velvet revolver albums

1 solo album

2 conspirators albums

cca 90 songs

If you cant make your playlist out of 90 songs than you are crazy selfish and unsatisfied mthrfckrs with your own lifes :)

Its five o clock somewhere - I adore this album! I mean all songs, maybe because I waited for new GnR album so it was good to hear Slash sound

Aint life grand - not as 5 o'clock but I never gave a chance of proper interesting and listening

Contraband - I have exploded when it came out, dirty hard rocking rnr album, still listening very much, all songs kicks ass. When it came out, I was thinking that this could be even more popular album than AFD if it was Axl singing!

Libertad - mellow if I compare it to Contraband but not bad, I could choose at least five songs I like

Slash & friends - loved it because of the variety of the singers and mysical styles

Apocalypse love - didnt feel too much of this album but there are at least 5-6 songs I like

World on fire - I really like it, it sounds like true rnr album to me and I'm having a blast listening it all over again!

Now, I'm not gonna bash about Axl because he is the reason I started listening GnR (You could be mine video) and I still want to hear new music from him but he is not delivering it - 1 album in 13 years with 5-6 songs that I really like?! Come on!

I mean, even fans here are not too much satisfied with CD, and I am talking about old and new fans but I was glad I could hear his voice!

So, my point is - Slash, just do what you feel to do, record as much as you can, I feel lucky that every 2 years I can expect album from you

And thank U for bringing little bit if joy in my life with the sound of your guitar that I have grown up listening and still not tired of it :)

• Like 1

I feel like Slash's current way of writing is to come up with with a decent riff and then write a generic song for it without much thought. WoF, which I mostly enjoy, is full of songs that have 2-3 killer riffs that don't fit together or with the rest of the song. Verses with nothing going on in them (not in the soft loud soft style of song, either), just a quick interlude before getting back to the chorus riff. It kind of feels like Slash's approach to writing is "this is cool, good enough, lets record now". His post two Conspirators albums feel like a conscious effort to not put too much thought or time into any one song.

Which, of course, leads to 15-17 song albums which could be cut down to 12-13, with the time spent on those extra filler songs that could have been spent making the good songs better.

Pretty much this word for word.