Gotta Love Dizzy Read - Great Quote from 2002

Oh the irony. I almost spit out my homemade fruit smoothie as I was reading his comments.

From a 2002 interview:

When asked about Izzy, Slash and Duff forming their own band, Dizzy said:

"I say good luck, and hope they have a good time - and they should enjoy it 'cause Izzy'll probably quit in a couple weeks. I think some of those guys really go complacent. I know Axl thought we really needed to change, and in their mind we didn't need to change, we should just do what we do and everything will be cool."

He then added:

"But you look around and see bands that did that and they're trivial now. They're nostalgia. We didn't want to be that way....and one by one, people started quitting. The old band was a little more hell-bend on self-destruction. This band, I think, is kinda headed upwards as opposed to downward."

WTF?????

If that was the case, why has Slash, Izzy and Duff's musical output since then dwarfed what Axl ended up doing? Since that interview, Axl and the "new" GnR that didn't want to be complacent put out one album and just occasionally tours. Pretty much the EXACT opposite of what Dizzy said.

The old band put out four records in five years (six records according to some people). Since then, Axl has released ONE friggin album. Maybe Dizzy and Axl were wrong, and GnR didn't really "need to change."

And do I even have to mention the nostalgia comment?

What do you all think of these statements from Mr. Dizzy Reed?

I remain certain that the plan was still to move ahead until Robin quit again. Not saying everything hinged on Robin or anything, I just think that was about the time that everything went the way it has. Perhaps there were still some plans to move forward going into the 2010 tour, but who knows.

Not knocking the OP, but we could have 100s of threads based on things GN'R members have said that never came to fruition. Hell, we could have an entire subforum dedicated to quotes from 4tus and DJ™ where they say that new music is coming "next year" and it's awesome.

• Like 2

I remain certain that the plan was still to move ahead until Robin quit again. Not saying everything hinged on Robin or anything, I just think that was about the time that everything went the way it has. Perhaps there were still some plans to move forward going into the 2010 tour, but who knows.

Not knocking the OP, but we could have 100s of threads based on things GN'R members have said that never came to fruition. Hell, we could have an entire subforum dedicated to quotes from 4tus and DJ where they say that new music is coming "next year" and it's awesome.

You could be right. But Axl didn't just quit and give up. He replaced Robin. He replaced Bucket. And kept on going. If losing Robin was the straw that broke him......why not just say F8ck it and start over as a solo artist?

Re your second comment........and that's why I'm finally ready to agree with the people who say this isn't a band anymore (in the traditional sense). But just one dude and a bunch of hired hands to make up a band that tours on occasion.

NuGNR was never a band. Axl broke up the original band because he wanted to have a solo act and call it GNR for some reason. The musicians on studio came up with ideas and parts that Axl manipulated (copied and pasted), they never had any final say in what CD would become. As a live act, Axl chooses when to tour, what songs will be played, when it's time to take a break, etc...

It's like NIN. It has a band name but it's Trent's project. Axl tried very hard to be like Trent but he's not as good as a leader or a musician. Whoever says NuGNR is a band is lying (mostly to themselves).

• Like 1

Not knocking the OP, but we could have 100s of threads based on things GN'R members have said that never came to fruition. Hell, we could have an entire subforum dedicated to quotes from 4tus and DJ™ where they say that new music is coming "next year" and it's awesome.

You could be right. But Axl didn't just quit and give up. He replaced Robin. He replaced Bucket. And kept on going. If losing Robin was the straw that broke him......why not just say F8ck it and start over as a solo artist?

Re your second comment........and that's why I'm finally ready to agree with the people who say this isn't a band anymore (in the traditional sense). But just one dude and a bunch of hired hands to make up a band that tours on occasion.

Ain't that about a bitch?

I wanted so much more for this band then what it turned out to be.

• Like 1

I loved (still with lots of frustrations) following this band until about the Hall of Fame or end of 2012. Loved the 3 shows I saw from 2010-2012, all very special nights. However, I gave up on NuGNR as a creative outlet around then. If there was some resurgence with a new album, amazing, but that won't happen.

From now on I have zero expectations and when NuGNR comes into town, I'll gladly go and have fun. But it won't be an "experience" like in the past.

A shame

• Like 2

Early New GnR were mysterious and exciting. They were looking to explore new directions. The modern day version is sad, worn out and nothing but a nostalgia act which rakes in the moolah for people who really had nothing to do with any of GnR's success (Apart from Axl).

It is sad, it really is.

• Like 3

Early New GnR were mysterious and exciting. They were looking to explore new directions. The modern day version is sad, worn out and nothing but a nostalgia act which rakes in the moolah for people who really had nothing to do with any of GnR's success (Apart from Axl).It is sad, it really is.

That's it in a nutshell, for me. We were told this incarnation of GNR would be a forward moving thing that didn't rely so much on the past. And when you saw them with Bucket and Axl performing with ferocity and passion (even if his voice was sub-par) it was exciting and believable. A trilogy of albums coming? Fuck yeah, let's see what the crazy bastard and his new crew have up their sleeves!

Turns out nothing. An absolute failure. Axl simply cannot lead a band. I dearly hope that fans stop wasting their time and money and attention on a shitty nostalgia act. Moreso, I hope the remaining talented musicians (Stinson for one) detach themselves from this trainwreck permanently. It's a shitsmear on their resumé at this point, and this band which has become the musical equivalent of watching a turd painstakingly inch it's way out of a dying tortoise's ass is not what we as fans were promised or what they as musicians deserve.

• Like 2

Dizzy's a 'Yes-Man' and always has been. He gets paid. That's it. He's not a shot-caller and never will be. When the Illusions albums came out and this dude was suddenly in the band I was like "WTF?? Why???' Then Izzy quit and I knew something was seriously amiss with my favourite rock band. Axl could've/should've released 5 - 10 new albums worth of new music with the amount of talented musicians he had to work with by now. It really defies all logic. Blaming the record company for everything, doesn't cut it for me. If that were the case, Axl should've just started his own new record label and released the music anyway. He had the millions to do it then and he still has the millions to do it now. What's even weirder is on top of Dizzy, we now have Pittman, as an additional keyboard player on stage. One wasn't good enough I guess. Must've pissed Dizzy right the fuck off at the time but he's such a nut-swinger, he just rolled with it and said "Ok. Cool Axl..."

• Like 1

Early New GnR were mysterious and exciting. They were looking to explore new directions. The modern day version is sad, worn out and nothing but a nostalgia act which rakes in the moolah for people who really had nothing to do with any of GnR's success (Apart from Axl).It is sad, it really is.

That's it in a nutshell, for me. We were told this incarnation of GNR would be a forward moving thing that didn't rely so much on the past. And when you saw them with Bucket and Axl performing with ferocity and passion (even if his voice was sub-par) it was exciting and believable. A trilogy of albums coming? Fuck yeah, let's see what the crazy bastard and his new crew have up their sleeves!

Turns out nothing. An absolute failure. Axl simply cannot lead a band. I dearly hope that fans stop wasting their time and money and attention on a shitty nostalgia act. Moreso, I hope the remaining talented musicians (Stinson for one) detach themselves from this trainwreck permanently. It's a shitsmear on their resumé at this point, and this band which has become the musical equivalent of watching a turd painstakingly inch it's way out of a dying tortoise's ass is not what we as fans were promised or what they as musicians deserve.

Why are you being such a Davey Downer when you can join the Atlas Club....I mean get on the Nightrain to 1987?!

#GetOnTheNightrain trending world wide!!!!!

As a 2015 Nightrain Rider, you gain:

Access to Members Only Forums, Blogs, and Photo Galleries

Access to Fan-Club Perks

Access to Concert Ticket Pre-sales and VIP Packages

And more...