Any Sunset Strip experts on here?

Apollo

I wonder why this scene is so much associated with the 1980s and the leathers and big hair when it was also a vibrant scene in the 1960s. You could walk into any bar and see The Byrds, Doors and The Airplane playing and you might find yourself sitting next to Lennon and Moon. It is as if cock rock came along in the 1980s and arsed up its reputation forever.

The 70s was its real day, Lennon, Nilsson, Moonie, Alice Cooper, Iggy Stooge liggin' about, plus coke was in, it was bangin' by all accounts.

But the really kiddies for a laugh round there were the old time actors, they kinda made it.

Edited by Len B'stard

I wonder why this scene is so much associated with the 1980s and the leathers and big hair when it was also a vibrant scene in the 1960s. You could walk into any bar and see The Byrds, Doors and The Airplane playing and you might find yourself sitting next to Lennon and Moon. It is as if cock rock came along in the 1980s and arsed up its reputation forever.

The 70s was its real day, Lennon, Nilsson, Moonie, Alice Cooper, Iggy Stooge liggin' about, plus coke was in, it was bangin' by all accounts.

But the really kiddies for a laugh round there were the old time actors, they kinda made it.

Yea if there's something not associated with the 80's, it's coke.

Yea if there's something not associated with the 80's, it's coke.
By the 80s you were probably putting sweetener up your nose though :lol: It might've been widespread across the world in the 80s but that doesnt have a lot of bearing of the fact that a certain group were doing it hardcore on Sunset in the 70s. Edited by Len B'stard

Yes but weren't they just on the piss. Imagine going to your local pub and seeing The Doors, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield? That was reality in the 1960s Sunset Strip scene.

Yes but weren't they just on the piss. Imagine going to your local pub and seeing The Doors, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield? That was reality in the 1960s Sunset Strip scene.

How do you think they stayed up all night? A toot and a snore, ever hear that? Pass it around, pass it around :lol:

I need somebody to write an essay on the strip during the hair band / hair metal era.

For low pay and the promise of future glory.

Rather than just saying "Yes, the strip, glory days of the 80s and big hair and spandex. Motley Crue, Poison and Guns n Roses handed out flyers back in the day!" I would like something way more in-depth and personal. An essay/story that really described the scene back in that time frame.

I was having lunch at the Rainbow Room three weeks ago when members of Extreme, Cinderella, Dokken, and Gilby Clark were there. Does that count? :P

What's interesting is that if that group was there 25 years ago, there would have been tons of hot chicks around just lined up to bang every single one of them. I suspect last month that half the customers didn't even know (or care) who they were.

Probably better off asking on Metal Sludge. I wouldn't wanna educate you on the strip since I was never there during the heyday. On Sludge you are bound to get people who were there and lived it.

True. But I need somebody who can actually write longer sentences than "that band sucks" and "those guys are f*gs."

There are two books on Amazon about the strip. One on the 60's and one on the 80's. Probably have just what you are looking for.

Or you could ask Marc Canter as I heard he has a few stories about the 80's.... :lol:

• Like 1

I visited LA in 1974 and didn't like it.

The Sunset Strip had so many weird people walking around and that's coming from me who lived in NYC at the time.

Anyway, I remembering staying at the Hollywood Rossevelt hotel and there was a Jack in the Box a few blocks away. There were so many creepy people hanging out there. I was wondering why the city of LA would put those amazing stars on these streets.

I'm sure it's changed since then, but sometimes if I watch anything on tv that takes place in LA it still looks weird to me.

but then again, the strip in Vegas wasn't any better.

Specifically the hair band era?

Yeah, Guns N' Roses used to play at a stripclub.

Sex Pistols did it first, nyah nah :P

If by first you mean after The Beatles did it in Germany in the early 1960s, then sure.

Specifically the hair band era?

Yeah, Guns N' Roses used to play at a stripclub.

Sex Pistols did it first, nyah nah :P
If by first you mean after The Beatles did it in Germany in the early 1960s, then sure.

Shame on me, yes, you're quite right Downzy, Indra Club.

I was there, but didn't go to the clubs! The Strip was a free for all back then. People openly selling drugs on the street, and hookers coming up to your car and rubbing their asses on your car windows while you were stopped at a red light. It was as if it were a "no cop zone".

• Like 1

We meant cool people Drama :lol: Which, thinkin' about it, should disqualify GnR.

There ain't shit uncool about the real Guns.

Johnny Thunders: So what are you guys, a buncha fag cowboys? :lol: and yes, Colorada over Pat Boone ANY fuckin' day. Edited by Len B'stard

In Johnnys defence he could do and say anything he fuckin' wanted ever and still would be the coolest man in any room you put him in. He's got that Steve McQueen, Lee Marvin, Bruce Lee, Elvis Presley, Marlon Brando definition of cool factor that makes him infallible, he's the fucking Pope of rock n roll, Johnny even fell over cool. Swinging back in GnRs defence Slash and Izzy approached that kinda cool for a good long while there, Slash especially. Adler loved it a bit too much, bit too much like a puppy desperate for the attention, Duff looked cheesy, Axl is way too shook and emotional and he talks too much to be cool like that. Izzy and Slash looked cool. Cool is like a gift from God, you just have it or you don't. Iggy Pop had it too. There's a litmus test to this shit too and it's got to do with the way you smoke a fag, give a man a fag, watch the entire process from the way he takes it from the pack to his lighting up and you know IMMEDIATELY if they got it, it's called the fag test, never fails, not ever. Black people tend to have it a great deal, although all my examples up there have been whiteboys :lol:

Give Slash a fag and it's fuckin' game over really :lol: Axls smokes like a fuckin' bird.

Edited by Len B'stard