Any Sunset Strip experts on here?

Apollo

I need somebody to write an essay on the strip during the hair band / hair metal era.

For low pay and the promise of future glory.

Rather than just saying "Yes, the strip, glory days of the 80s and big hair and spandex. Motley Crue, Poison and Guns n Roses handed out flyers back in the day!" I would like something way more in-depth and personal. An essay/story that really described the scene back in that time frame.

I was having lunch at the Rainbow Room three weeks ago when members of Extreme, Cinderella, Dokken, and Gilby Clark were there. Does that count? :P

What's interesting is that if that group was there 25 years ago, there would have been tons of hot chicks around just lined up to bang every single one of them. I suspect last month that half the customers didn't even know (or care) who they were.

Probably better off asking on Metal Sludge. I wouldn't wanna educate you on the strip since I was never there during the heyday. On Sludge you are bound to get people who were there and lived it.

True. But I need somebody who can actually write longer sentences than "that band sucks" and "those guys are f*gs."

Anybody can look up information online and write the essay but it'd be better (IMO) written by someone who was there during the 80's and who can give you first person insights. I'd still give Sludge a shot. You could even message Stevie Rachelle for quotes. I'm sure he'll open up if you buy a Sludge shirt.

• Like 1

I need somebody to write an essay on the strip during the hair band / hair metal era.

Rather than just saying "Yes, the strip, glory days of the 80s and big hair and spandex. Motley Crue, Poison and Guns n Roses handed out flyers back in the day!" I would like something way more in-depth and personal. An essay/story that really described the scene back in that time frame.

I was having lunch at the Rainbow Room three weeks ago when members of Extreme, Cinderella, Dokken, and Gilby Clark were there. Does that count? :P

What's interesting is that if that group was there 25 years ago, there would have been tons of hot chicks around just lined up to bang every single one of them. I suspect last month that half the customers didn't even know (or care) who they were.

Probably better off asking on Metal Sludge. I wouldn't wanna educate you on the strip since I was never there during the heyday. On Sludge you are bound to get people who were there and lived it.

True. But I need somebody who can actually write longer sentences than "that band sucks" and "those guys are f*gs."

Actually, there quite a few leather clad ladies around when I was there. Sure, some might have looked a bit better 25 to 30 years ago, but I'm sure the dynamic hadn't changed much.

Once all the rockers cleared out, there were maybe six people in the place.

Actually, there quite a few leather clad ladies around when I was there. Sure, some might have looked a bit better 25 to 30 years ago, but I'm sure the dynamic hadn't changed much.

I suppose the question has to be asked...........did you fulfill any teenage fantasies while there?

I suppose the question has to be asked...........did you fulfill any teenage fantasies while there?
For him or the teenagers? :lol:
  • Like 1

Actually, quite the opposite. Some gay guy (not that there's anything wrong with that :P) from Mexico City started hitting on me while I was eating lunch at the bar.

In retrospect, walking into a bar called "The Rainbow Bar and Grill" wearing touristy floral pattern shorts and a light blue t-shirt is going to garner you certain kind of attention.

He tried but Gilby dont give out blowies at the going rate, yknow, he's a star :lol:

• Like 1

I'm so confused.

So did you blow Gilby or the gay dude who was just a customer? Or, I suppose.....both?

If you did blow both......hopefully at the same time...........that could make my Sunset Strip section of the project I'm working on. While not quite on the debauchery level of Vince Neil and his fellow rockers in the late 80s, Guns n Roses forum owner Downzy showed that the Strip still holds a special place for the old saying Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll. While vacationing in west Hollywood, Downzy went to explore the legendary strip bars Whisky A Go-Go and The Rainbow, planning to have a few beers and take pictures of the rock memorabilia that lines the walls of the hair metal infamous rocker locations. "I had a buzz going, saw some 80s rock stars and the next thing I knew - bam. Booya." Downzy found himself with more than just cold brew suds going down his throat. The Canadian democrat says after a few drinks and puffs of weed, he ended up in the Rainbow VIP room with Gilby Clarke and another fan. Downzy refused to specifically say what happened in the VIP area, except that it involved "more than a mouthful."

Would that be anywhere close to an accurate description of what happened?

Edited by Apollo

I wonder why this scene is so much associated with the 1980s and the leathers and big hair when it was also a vibrant scene in the 1960s. You could walk into any bar and see The Byrds, Doors and The Airplane playing and you might find yourself sitting next to Lennon and Moon. It is as if cock rock came along in the 1980s and arsed up its reputation forever.

I'm so confused.

So did you blow Gilby or the gay dude who was just a customer? Or, I suppose.....both?

If you did blow both......hopefully at the same time...........that could make my Sunset Strip section of the project I'm working on. While not quite on the debauchery level of Vince Neil and his fellow rockers in the late 80s, Guns n Roses forum owner Downzy showed that the Strip still holds a special place for the old saying Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll. While vacationing in west Hollywood, Downzy went to explore the legendary strip bars Whisky A Go-Go and The Rainbow, planning to have a few beers and take pictures of the rock memorabilia that lines the walls of the hair metal infamous rocker locations. "I had a buzz going, saw some 80s rock stars and the next thing I knew - bam. Booya." Downzy found himself with more than just cold brew suds going down his throat. The Canadian democrat says after a few drinks and puffs of weed, he ended up in the Rainbow VIP room with Gilby Clarke and another fan. Downzy refused to specifically say what happened in the VIP area, except that it involved "more than a mouthful."

Would that be anywhere close to an accurate description of what happened?

Minus the blow jobs and there's no such thing as a Canadian democrat (we're just known as Canadian), pretty close :P