Hell Yes!!! Leo playing a serial killer HHH, directed by Scorsese.

Apollo

I'm not a huge fan of the whole "serial killer" thing. It's been beaten to death and then beaten more. I don't really get everyone's thing for Leo, he's like a Tom Cruise to me, but in contrast. Tom Cruise is a fairly decent actor who winds up in a lot of shitty movies and gets a lot of shit, Leo is also a fairly decent actor, but gets praised as one of the best, and lands roles that he doesn't really deserve.

That being said, I haven't read this book, but it sounds like it's very compelling, that's really reassuring. I also always enjoy a good Scorcese flick. I'll have to check it out.

Holmes is a lot different than pretty much all other serial killers.

Dude bought and built a hotel specifically to use as a murdering facility.

This is a description from Wiki:

"Some were locked in soundproof bedrooms fitted with gas lines that let him asphyxiate them at any time. Holmes would also lock his victims in a room where the walls were covered with iron plates and had blowtorches installed to incinerate them. One of the rooms on the second floor was called the "secret hanging chamber"; Where Holmes would take one of his victims and have them lynched. Other victims were locked in a huge soundproof bank vault near his office, where they were left to suffocate.[8] The victims' bodies were dropped by a secret chute to the basement,[3] where some were meticulously dissected, stripped of flesh, crafted into skeleton models, and then sold to medical schools."

Holmes would also befriend people and convince them to take out huge life insurance policies and then to "fake" their own deaths, under the agreement that Holmes would receive the payoff -and then the two would split the money. Except once it was all set-up, Holmes would just actually kill the guy and collect the cash.

Not even to mention the fact that he is also a very viable Jack the Ripper suspect.

If you like to read, then you should check out the book.

It's half about Holmes and his exploits and half about the struggles the city went through to host the World Fair.

Edited by Apollo

I'm not a huge fan of the whole "serial killer" thing. It's been beaten to death and then beaten more. I don't really get everyone's thing for Leo, he's like a Tom Cruise to me, but in contrast. Tom Cruise is a fairly decent actor who winds up in a lot of shitty movies and gets a lot of shit, Leo is also a fairly decent actor, but gets praised as one of the best, and lands roles that he doesn't really deserve.

That being said, I haven't read this book, but it sounds like it's very compelling, that's really reassuring. I also always enjoy a good Scorcese flick. I'll have to check it out.

Holmes is a lot different than pretty much all other serial killers.

Dude bought and built a hotel specifically to use as a murdering facility.

This is a description from Wiki:

"Some were locked in soundproof bedrooms fitted with gas lines that let him asphyxiate them at any time. Holmes would also lock his victims in a room where the walls were covered with iron plates and had blowtorches installed to incinerate them. One of the rooms on the second floor was called the "secret hanging chamber"; Where Holmes would take one of his victims and have them lynched. Other victims were locked in a huge soundproof bank vault near his office, where they were left to suffocate.[8] The victims' bodies were dropped by a secret chute to the basement,[3] where some were meticulously dissected, stripped of flesh, crafted into skeleton models, and then sold to medical schools."

Holmes would also befriend people and convince them to take out huge life insurance policies and then to "fake" their own deaths, under the agreement that Holmes would receive the payoff -and then the two would split the money. Except once it was all set-up, Holmes would just actually kill the guy and collect the cash.

Not even to mention the fact that he is also a very viable Jack the Ripper suspect.

If you like to read, then you should check out the book.

It's half about Holmes and his exploits and half about the struggles the city went through to host the World Fair.

I'll check it out, I need a new book to read. Sounds pretty interesting. I'm not really familiar with the case at all

Dan - you will like it even more if you are a history buff. Half the book is about the city acquiring the rights to the World Fair, and then the struggles to almost build an entire small city that could host the Fair and the millions of travelers that would attend. Which makes Holmes even more creepy or deviant. What better place to set up a murder hotel than beside an event that is going to bring in millions of travelers from all over the world!

There is also a group that thinks Holmes is Jack The Ripper. He probably wasn't - but it is interesting to debate it. Holmes, one of the worst serial killers in history, just happened to be in London and the Whitechapel area when the Ripper murders took place. Holmes was a former medical student who cut out the organs of his victims. Ripper cut out the organs (with surgical precision) of some of his victims. Probably just a coincidence - but holy crap, talk about a coincidence. Kind of like if Snoop Dog spent a week at your house and after he left, all your weed was missing and your teenage daughter got pregnant and had a black baby.

Dan - you will like it even more if you are a history buff. Half the book is about the city acquiring the rights to the World Fair, and then the struggles to almost build an entire small city that could host the Fair and the millions of travelers that would attend. Which makes Holmes even more creepy or deviant. What better place to set up a murder hotel than beside an event that is going to bring in millions of travelers from all over the world!

There is also a group that thinks Holmes is Jack The Ripper. He probably wasn't - but it is interesting to debate it. Holmes, one of the worst serial killers in history, just happened to be in London and the Whitechapel area when the Ripper murders took place. Holmes was a former medical student who cut out the organs of his victims. Ripper cut out the organs (with surgical precision) of some of his victims. Probably just a coincidence - but holy crap, talk about a coincidence. Kind of like if Snoop Dog spent a week at your house and after he left, all your weed was missing and your teenage daughter got pregnant and had a black baby.

HEOJs.gif

Leo an do anything. he is one of the best actors of all time and with Martin directing him, maybe he will win an Oscar this time around. He deserves it.

I can see Leo playing a serial killer. Most of them were handsome and had charisma and Leo definitely has both.

Y'know, the exact opposite is the stereotype? That serial killers, dictators, mass murderers are almost always ugly. There's a couple of notable exceptions like Ted Bundy and Paul Bernardo but as i say, they are the exceptions.

Edited by Len B'stard

Leo an do anything. he is one of the best actors of all time and with Martin directing him, maybe he will win an Oscar this time around. He deserves it.

I can see Leo playing a serial killer. Most of them were handsome and had charisma and Leo definitely has both.

Y'know, the exact opposite is the stereotype? That serial killers, dictators, mass murderers are almost always ugly. There's a couple of notable exceptions like Ted Bundy and Paul Bernardo but as i say, they are the exceptions.
Yeah and they're not often charismatic either, they're usually creepy looking weirdos. Edited by Dan H.

I remember this guy now, he's the mad fucker who ran that chemist! (remember as in remember reading about, obviously, not saying i got my cough drops off him :lol:)

And he was actually quite the ladies man, apparently. Which led to the ease of him killing so many young attractive women.

Also, he probably killed his first victim at age 10! His best friend "fell" out of their tree house and died. He went to medical school and people he was seen with or associated with starting coming up missing. So by his early 20's he was in full serial killer mode.

If this happened today, he probably would have been behind bars by his 21rst birthday. But this was the 1800s and Chicago was expanding like crazy, people were moving all around the US, and you couldn't just pick up the phone and call to check on lost relatives.

Leo plays the same character in every movie.....seriously does anyone really think he was the right choice for Django?

I know, I was watching Gilbert Grape the other day and i thought damn, this guys identical in every fuckin' movie.

He's incredibly overrated. I don't think he's a bad actor, in fact I think he's pretty good and almost always enjoyable in his roles.

But he's never "wowed" me the way some people talk about him, and whine about his lack of an Oscar. I've never seen him in a role where I thought he deserved a leading actor Academy Award.

Leo plays the same character in every movie.....seriously does anyone really think he was the right choice for Django?

I know, I was watching Gilbert Grape the other day and i thought damn, this guys identical in every fuckin' movie.

Rose really did take advantage of him on the Titanic then.

He's incredibly overrated. I don't think he's a bad actor, in fact I think he's pretty good and almost always enjoyable in his roles.

But he's never "wowed" me the way some people talk about him, and whine about his lack of an Oscar. I've never seen him in a role where I thought he deserved a leading actor Academy Award.

I agree with all of that. I guess i dont really follow the academy awards and general opinion on new cinema, I tend to catch most new movies pretty late and am not always au fait with popular opinion on actors so i kinda approach them with a clean slate and my responses to him are identical to yours, that he's pretty good and almost always enjoyable and thats enough for me to rate him as i do.

I think people mistake always identifiable as himself as being the same thing as being crap or 'doing the same thing in every movie' but thats not really the case, sort of the nature of a Hollywood star is identifiable traits and behaviour that people go back to see time and time again, not every actor is the Gary Oldman like chameleon thespian...and i dont think thats necessarily a bad thing. I agree with your responses to him really.

Perhaps if i approached the NWA movie with a similar 'clean slate' i might get something out of it, as you suggested.

Edited by Len B'stard

I think he's always identifiable as himself in a way where it's like, (redlettermedia described it well) if I had a kid that was in a high school play, I would never be able to shake the awareness that it's just Leo in a wacky costume doing a funny voice. You just always know it's Leo DeCaprio doing a performance and then lose the ability of being immersed in his character in a way that other super star actors can achieve, like Christian Bale, Daniel Day Lewis, Sean Penn or Phillip Seymore Hoffman.

Maybe that's just me, or maybe it's the type of movie that he's always in. It's always gonna be a period piece, usually late 1800s or early to mid 1900s, or he always plays a classy, gentlemanly guy in a suit who is mild mannered and polite, punctuated by bouts of neuroticism(substitute with insanity, or psychosis) which allow him to scream and yell and act quirky.

Shutter Island, Titanic, J Edgar, Django, Catch Me If You Can, Inception, The Great Gatsby, The Wolf of Wall Street, and The Aviator all fit into that concept.

Regretfully I have not seen The Departed but I'm guessing it's either a period piece in the early 1900s or he plays a "gentleman" with neurotic tendencies.

That's probably what makes it easier for me to feel less immersed in his roles because at this point it's like he's not even playing a character, he's just a gentlemanly guy who identifies with a sprinkling of quirkiness.

From the sound of it this movie will be both a period piece and his character will be a gentlemanly suit wearing guy who is a charming serial killer.

I agree with all of that. I guess i dont really follow the academy awards and general opinion on new cinema, I tend to catch most new movies pretty late and am not always au fait with popular opinion on actors so i kinda approach them with a clean slate and my responses to him are identical to yours, that he's pretty good and almost always enjoyable and thats enough for me to rate him as i do.

I think people mistake always identifiable as himself as being the same thing as being crap or 'doing the same thing in every movie' but thats not really the case, sort of the nature of a Hollywood star is identifiable traits and behaviour that people go back to see time and time again, not every actor is the Gary Oldman like chameleon thespian...and i dont think thats necessarily a bad thing. I agree with your responses to him really.

Perhaps if i approached the NWA movie with a similar 'clean slate' i might get something out of it, as you suggested.

Edited by Dan H.

The people you mentioned aren't really stars though, Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Sean Penn, they're kinda actor-actor-actors first and stars second. Stars, in the old Hollywood sense like Bogart or John Wayne or Cagney or Clint Eastwood, those kinda actors, were immediately identifiable, the people you've mentioned are kinda of that Gary Oldman supreme thespian breed, not everybodys shooting for that either. And in some of those case, particularly Christian Bale, his talents in that direction are highly overrated. I think any way.

I think a lot of people invest a lot of time and effort in visually looking the role, doing things like mastering accents and have exactly zero presence or ability to convey emotion, whether through a range of types of behaviour or just by what their physicality projects. The beauty of acting is it can be extremely broad but it can also work within constraints and there's still so much to explore. Eastwoods made a career of exploring a specific kind of male experience and offered an invaluable contribution to the medium in doing so...i think.

I see your point though, I guess it's just what appeals to you in an actor. Also, watch the fuckin' Departed man, whats wrong with you?!? Some people'll tell you it's great and some people'll tell you it's a piece of shit by way of reaction to others calling it great but just watch it, i dunno, i fuckin' like it personally, it ain't no candidate for best movie of the whatever but it's enjoyable, it's worth your time sir, very much worth your time.

Edited by Len B'stard

I agree with parts of what Dan said, in that he is overrated and fairly limited in his range of characters. I'm not really a fan of Leo but I always thought he played some 'crazy' characters well, mainly in Shutter Island and The Aviator. Those are the only movies of his I liked enough to watch more than once though, most of his others were good movies but not necessarily because he was in them.

The people you mentioned aren't really stars though, Daniel Day Lewis, Christian Bale, Sean Penn, they're kinda actor-actor-actors first and stars second. Stars, in the old Hollywood sense like Bogart or John Wayne or Cagney or Clint Eastwood, those kinda actors, were immediately identifiable, the people you've mentioned are kinda of that Gary Oldman supreme thespian breed, not everybodys shooting for that either. And in some of those case, particularly Christian Bale, his talents in that direction are highly overrated. I think any way.

I think a lot of people invest a lot of time and effort in visually looking the role, doing things like mastering accents and have exactly zero presence or ability to convey emotion, whether through a range of types of behaviour or just by what their physicality projects. The beauty of acting is it can be extremely broad but it can also work within constraints and there's still so much to explore. Eastwoods made a career of exploring a specific kind of male experience and offered an invaluable contribution to the medium in doing so...i think.

I see your point though, I guess it's just what appeals to you in an actor. Also, watch the fuckin' Departed man, whats wrong with you?!? Some people'll tell you it's great and some people'll tell you it's a piece of shit by way of reaction to others calling it great but just watch it, i dunno, i fuckin' like it personally, it ain't no candidate for best movie of the whatever but it's enjoyable, it's worth your time sir, very much worth your time.

Yeah but I think Leo, and more so Leo fans, fancy him as an actors-actor and would put him in a caliber similar to Oldman or Hoffman or Day Lewis.

Like I said earlier Leo is a lot like Tom Cruise, in that they're both hugely pop culture actors, very recognizable, very decent to great in terms of performance. I'd say they're about equal in terms of acting ability, however Leo gets cast in much much better movies and isn't a PR nightmare and a notorious lunatic.

Leo is very very enjoyable and a pleasure to see on a casting bill because you know he takes it seriously and does his job well. But I wouldn't rank him as a top tier actor and I haven't seen a film he's done that deserves the Oscar his fans constantly love to talk about.

As for The Departed it's one of those famous well received movies that is guilty for me to admit I've never seen, but honestly I've always heard mixed things about it, and Scorcese is drastically hit or miss for me, so I've never taken the time to sit down and watch it because I never have REALLY felt like I'm missing out. Honestly I don't even know what it's about other than I assume aging gangsters taking on a changing world or whatever.

I'll give it a go this weekend since I don't have a lot going on and was planning on watching some films anyways

As for The Departed it's one of those famous well received movies that is guilty for me to admit I've never seen, but honestly I've always heard mixed things about it, and Scorcese is drastically hit or miss for me, so I've never taken the time to sit down and watch it because I never have REALLY felt like I'm missing out. Honestly I don't even know what it's about other than I assume aging gangsters taking on a changing world or whatever

You really need to get on it. One of my all time favorites.

I don't hang Oscars as a merit of how good or not good a movie is mind you :lol:

I don't want to give you that impression. You know what, if the lady hasn't made any plans for us tonight I'll have us watch it. I'll watch that and Blue Velvet(another aparent classic that I haven't seen).