What do you expect from a REUNION record?

I honestly think if they do an album it will be the old band reworking a lot of the supposed CD2 as well as a bunch of older material from Slash, Duff, Izzy. I think if they do an album it will be a double album combining both Axls' work and the other's

I could see them reworking Axl's CD era material. Then maybe theres some old half finished stuff from 96 like VH did, Izzy will have a new batch of songs no doubt. Axl writing lyrics and doing vocals seems to take a while so maybe any vocals from CD era they would use. They might just add parts a bit like Frank and Ron did. Getting a few parts and solos from Slash and Duff finishing off some bass parts. Izzy playing on DBTO. It would be enough to sell the record.

[with now standard disclaimer, we are jumping the gun here big time but whatever..]

in all honesty, listening to their respective solo efforts (and counting CD as one), whose material reminds you the most to World-famous, timeless, great GnR trademark sound? Tastes/likes may differ, but its Izzy's and Adler's. It's no wonder - rhythm guitar provides the skeleton (and if you are the author - that much better), and the rhythm section (bass+drums) blends right in (and allows the other to contribute). Rhythm guitar and rhythm section is Guns 101 and 201.

So by criteria of similarity (to TM GnR sound), here it goes:

1st Place - Shared Izzy & Adler.

2nd Place - "Believe in Me" is like a set of outtakes from SI, so alone on 2nd place - Duff.

3rd Place - Shared Axl & Slash.

2 most iconic figures are at the bottom of the list, because they are Guns 501/601 LOL, if you take the other guys out, it's like - you are taking out the ground under their legs..

• Like 1

I honestly think if they do an album it will be the old band reworking a lot of the supposed CD2 as well as a bunch of older material from Slash, Duff, Izzy. I think if they do an album it will be a double album combining both Axls' work and the other's

I could see them reworking Axl's CD era material. Then maybe theres some old half finished stuff from 96 like VH did, Izzy will have a new batch of songs no doubt. Axl writing lyrics and doing vocals seems to take a while so maybe any vocals from CD era they would use. They might just add parts a bit like Frank and Ron did. Getting a few parts and solos from Slash and Duff finishing off some bass parts. Izzy playing on DBTO. It would be enough to sell the record.

I could see that. I see it being more like left over VR stuff rather than old stuff from 1996 but who knows. I just think if they are going to do an album it will be big. they won't just release an album of 11 or 12 songs. they'll go big, then go home.

Slash's music for me is the most GnRish. I always find myself thinking it sounds like it could be a GnR song. His guitar sound is as much GnR's identity as Axl's voice. With CD stuff though none of it really sounds like GnR. None of it has that classic GnR feel. Sure some of it might sound similar in that it tries to be epic but it's not. When I hear Slash's music I just think GnR. I don't think GnR when I hear CD. I just think this isn't that good.

there's definitely a quality about SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TWAT, TIL that only GNR do. Maybe it's the way Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies guide the songs and his ability to just go a bit further, having the lyrical next step and vocals to go there while a guitarist solos. The whole out ta ge me vibe also makes it GNR.

GNR have a lot of different songs, some more well known than others. You can liist a few and see theres no formula:

Jungle

Used to Love Her

So Fine

Estranged

I think Izzy writes cuter songs which are more crafted.

Slash playing on an Izzy song with Axl singing is about the perfect plan. The YCBM game plan.

GNR is so diverse you need Slash to smooth things out, to make YCBM, 14 Years, So Fine, Estranged sound like they belong on the same record.

Shorter story long, you need a few from them all. Slash can do stuff like Garden of Eden, Dont damn me, Civil War, Coma, Jungle, Paradise City which have a heaviness. He amps up the Izzy riffs sometimes and can handle the epic songs.

Edited by wasted

aside from the fact Axl plays piano on those songs I really don't feel they feel like GnR songs. They don't have the magic. the definitely don't have anything special going for them on guitar the way Guns n Roses songs do. Musically they're just a completely different band and for me a totally different feel where nothing or nobody compliments each other. Doesn't work for me.

It's just the guitar or way its played, I think the melodies, dynamics, lyrics, vocals very much are what Axl did GNR.

Same applies to Izzy solo songs, if Slash played the riff to Parasite and added some parts and solos with Axl singing it becomes a GNR song like Perfect Crime.

Thats why I said if Slash plays them...i think they at embryo demo form they are like something Axl/izzywould show Slash. It's just whether Slash wants to get into those songs and how it all pans out.

10-tracks in this shape

1. You Could Be Mine

2. 14 Years

3. You Ain't the First

4. Bad Obsession

5. Don't Cry

6. Pretty Tied Up

7. Back off Bitch

8. The Garden

9. Bad Apples

10. Yesterdays

Nothing too filler, nothing too epic.

So with a heavy influence from Izzy.... I am on board with that.

Izzy hasnt released anything in 3 years. Hasnt released an album in 5 years... Duff recently said Izzy has been playing alot of guitar... I have a funny feeling Izzy has a lot of songs to choose from... The clues are out there, the more I think about it, the more I believe there is something going on that has not been shared with the world yet...

• Like 1

Izzy hasnt released anything in 3 years. Hasnt released an album in 5 years... Duff recently said Izzy has been playing alot of guitar... I have a funny feeling Izzy has a lot of songs to choose from... The clues are out there, the more I think about it, the more I believe there is something going on that has not been shared with the world yet...

for insanely prolific author, that he is, 3 years is like a lifetime of some average singer/songwriter. should they choose to reunite they'll have plenty to choose from....

not to mention that they could re-work some of the existing material; bands rarely choose to do so, but in GnR-verse there are no rules...

Would anyone be opposed to a reunion album starting with a 20 minute multi-part suite similar to Yes' "Close to the Edge"?

Think Axl wails and interwoven Slash and Izzy guitars, a very bluesy progressive number that goes through a number of changes.

I don't know, you sorta lost me with ''similar to Yes'', just not my thing man. But a blues number, all for it!

Honestly I think it's great they are talking, as I'll finally chime in now to say, and the band all leaving makes way for this as a possibility for the first time since 94. SO what to expect. We see here in varying opines that whatever it might be if it were to be would never please all. I think I'd expect that unlike last time (Sympathy 4 Devil) they'd have more respect for the others ideas, but mostly Slash or Axl's. This (their talking now) is happening, and only happening, with Slash eating some humble pie, while Axl is perhaps nibbling on some scraps. So if the studio reunion, say they went that route instead of just tour with old catalog, was to work Slash will likely be more amicable to the Elton John Epics that he tried to steer away from post Spaghetti. Therefore, no, not just a hard rock Appetite. I'd say it would be an amazing collection of them working together on Axl's works new or undone, and peppering the hell out of them with great Slash playing. Look for more Cather's and less Brownstone's, as it should and would be.

My 2 cents, thanks for listening!

Edited by axlskAmpf

A disappointing GnR album but a great album in itself.

That's a great way to categorize CD.

Any great way to categorize CD should involve the words "steaming pile of cow dung"

Ok you won't like any of the maybe- speculative- possible one day-new album, be assured. Meanwhile no other ex band members have written, or even played on, anything nearing the riches of "The Blues", "Madagascar", "Sorry", "Twat", "Catcher", or "TIL" since departing.

Edited by axlskAmpf

Any great way to categorize CD should involve the words "steaming pile of cow dung"

Ok you won't like any of the maybe- speculative- possible one day-new album, be assured. Meanwhile no other ex band members have written, or even played on, anything nearing the riches of "The Blues", "Madagascar", "Sorry", "Twat", "Catcher", or "TIL" since departing.

Sorry is cringeworthy, TIL is downright boring. The Blues, Madagascar, TWAT and Catcher are all potentially stellar songs that were completely ruined by their horrilble overproduction. Their 2002 versions completely blow them out of the water. Nothing about CD sounds organic. Nothing sounds like a bunch of guys in a room making music. I don't like that.

So, when you're talking about potential you may haeve been right. But when you talk about end result, hell no.

• Like 1

Sorry is cringeworthy, TIL is downright boring. The Blues, Madagascar, TWAT and Catcher are all potentially stellar songs that were completely ruined by their horrilble overproduction. Their 2002 versions completely blow them out of the water. Nothing about CD sounds organic. Nothing sounds like a bunch of guys in a room making music. I don't like that.

So, when you're talking about potential you may haeve been right. But when you talk about end result, hell no.

There's not one single memorable tune on the album. That the biggest problem.

There's not one single memorable tune on the album. That the biggest problem.

The biggest problem imo is production. As someone said above, CD songs in terms of potential consists of great tunes, but I understand that most of the people doesn't like the unorganic sound of the final versions

Come think about it - the era of albums is over. We are in the singles-era (again, and this is a 3rd one, first one - 20s, second one - 40/50s, seems it goes in circles), so if they ever reunite, most likely they'll release couple of songs, rather than an album.

That may be a good thing - no pressure. Also, if they go on tour, they can spread say 12 singles for over a 2 year period (1 on every 2 months), and keep momentum going. It's kind of exiting actually, it's like a very very long foreplay...

Probably a hard rock version of CD would cover everything people hope for.

By the sounds of it Axl probably has some elements of a GNR record already with CD era stuff like Atlas Shrugged, The General and Beltrami stuff like Seven, Thyme. Jackie Chan, Berlin, Soul Monster seem like rockers.

Reunion

1. Axl/Slash rocker.

2. Duff punk bass song

3. Izzy song - Free Fallin' 2

4. Axl - Atlas Shrugged - glam rock Nov Rain

5. Slash rocker - Automatic Overdrive 2

6. Axl - Seven - Axl and Beltrami epic

7. Axl - Soul Monster - Black Sabbath CD era song

8. Izzy - Down by the Ocean

9. Slash - by the Sword/ Civil War

10. Izzy - acoustic ballad like Dont Cry/Patience

11. Slash - Safari Inn/Watch This

12. Thyme - Axl and Beltrami

I'd be cool if they just tour behind the CD remix for a couple of years until things get sorted out.

I can just picture it: Slash touring Brain's CD remixes? (Slash) ''buy our new album dude. When all things are considered, It is remixes of the band before me. To be honest, it is remixes of the band before the band before me and the remixes were done ten years ago' but when all things are considered, this is what we are touring behind'.