Dizzy Reed Says He's "Still Waiting For That Big Check To Come In"

Secrets of the middle-aged hard-rockers

October 15 2015

Keyboardist Dizzy Reed had a pint of Guinness. Bassist Marco Mendoza, 28 years sober after extensive adventures with booze, heroin and cocaine, stuck to ginger beer, and singer Corabi, seedy after last night's cocktails, sucked on the dregs of a takeaway coffee. The other members were, perhaps, getting up to no good in their hotel.

Corabi (American) was Motley Crue's lead singer in the mid-90s. Reed (American) has played keyboards for Guns N' Roses since 1990. Marco Mendoza (Mexican/American) has laid down the bass for Ted Nugent, Whitesnake, and a mid-90s re-creation of Thin Lizzy among many others. Their numerous side-projects include Reed's charmingly-named cover band Hookers N' Blow.

"Throwing TVs out the window isn't all it's cracked up to be," says Reed, "because then you're sitting there and you don't have anything to watch and it's a bummer. Also, sometimes it's hard to get that window open, especially if you're up high. You have to internalise your rage instead."

Reed's first performance was in a school talent quest, playing "Smoke on the Water" with his band The Hairy Bananas. He knew then that this was the career for him.

Despite his Guns N' Roses adventures he says he's "still waiting for that big cheque to come in". In the meantime, though, if he's ever having a bad day he just has to remind himself how lucky he is: "I play music for a living. Holy shit!"

Continue here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/73070262/secrets-of-the-middleaged-hardrockers

This article is mildly depressing. Shows how lucky the few who really make it are. Dizzy was in a band with multi-millionaires and here he is shucking his band across dive bars around the world to make a buck.

He was asking for money on twitter to donate for his daughter's college, it seems he is not good at keeping his money. But well whatever, its his life, he can do whatever he wants. It would be a shame that after all these years if he gets paid less than Titman.

It's kinda probable he didn't make much money...I mean the UYI money was divided 12 ways (including Zizag, the horns and Tracy and Roberta), with Axl, Slash and Duff I imagine getting the biggest cut...And Slash in his book talks about how they just barely broke even or were even in the red because of Axl's theme parties, which neccessitated them going on tour in 1993 just to be in the black...Also, I mean the last time the UYI albums really moved units was in 1997 or 1998 and I imagine Dizzy didn't see that much in the way of royalties to begin with, and CD didn't sell that much....Then factor in that Guns haven't exactly been huge earners on their tours in recent tours coupled with the fact that he lives in California which has a pretty high cost of living...He probably actually is hard up after expenses and probably lives at best upper middle class, if that.

Bands like Dead Daisies and Winery Dogs have great players but they're meant to be seen in theaters, clubs and package tours or open for known acts, but it also makes them accessible and able to talk to them because they are at that lower level. Arthritis, hip problems and all that other shit that comes with age is going to kick in, so they have to keep going while they can still play. At least they had their fun even if it was dangerous and ruined their lives to an extent.

Dizzy's ex was the one crowdsourcing, not him.

Yes, there were a lot of expenses, but I'd shocked if Dizzy didn't do pretty damn well despite all that. There were all of the South American runs over the last 10-15 years, a few decent runs in the States, the release of Chinese Democracy (yes, I know, not that much was generated from that), the release of Greatest Hits (which he has to get something from), and a back catalog which features him on three platinum releases.

What I'm getting at is, he may need an accountant.