iThread

Snake-Pit

I have an S5 which I upgraded from an S2. I love my phone in all it's usefulness but I refuse to upgrade now more than once every three years.

My S5 contract was up with Three this summer and despite me being a customer of many years standing holding 3 separate contracts with them (me and two teenagers) they couldn't offer me anything less than about £50 per month and that was with a really shitty data allowance - the S5 contract I took out a few years back was about £32 a month with unlimited everything.

I've since moved onto a sim only contract with BT for £15, it took me about 3hrs arguing on the phone to get Three to cancel the damn contract at which point they finally offered up something half decent but I told them to stuff it, long time customers shouldn't have to waste so many hours arguing just to get a reasonable price.

It seems in the last couple of years the data costs have been hiked astronomically but without a decent data package these phones are fairly useless when out on the go. It makes me laugh when the latest Samsung or Apple is being sold for £45 plus per month with 1-2 g of data - what use is that?

I think next time I actually need a new phone I'm just going to save and buy one upfront.

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I have an S5 which I upgraded from an S2. I love my phone in all it's usefulness but I refuse to upgrade now more than once every three years.

My S5 contract was up with Three this summer and despite me being a customer of many years standing holding 3 separate contracts with them (me and two teenagers) they couldn't offer me anything less than about £50 per month and that was with a really shitty data allowance - the S5 contract I took out a few years back was about £32 a month with unlimited everything.

I've since moved onto a sim only contract with BT for £15, it took me about 3hrs arguing on the phone to get Three to cancel the damn contract at which point they finally offered up something half decent but I told them to stuff it, long time customers shouldn't have to waste so many hours arguing just to get a reasonable price.

It seems in the last couple of years the data costs have been hiked astronomically but without a decent data package these phones are fairly useless when out on the go. It makes me laugh when the latest Samsung or Apple is being sold for £45 plus per month with 1-2 g of data - what use is that?

I think next time I actually need a new phone I'm just going to save and buy one upfront.

I couldn't agree more. I had bought an Iphone 4 on a contact, it was locked on the carrier, and it was a pain in the ass, I do travel frequently to other countries, so I could not even put a sim of another carrier on it. When the contract was over (after 2 years) I was like Thank God. 

It is best to save and buy one upfront. 

I have an Iphone 5 currently, I was gifted that, but the thing which annoys me till now that its in Silver color and I wanted a black........the thing is that I don't want to spend $500 and up just to get the same thing in black color. Well I hope someone gifts me the black one someday lol 

@Snake-Pit - You created the same thread last year.  From now on, please keep all iPhone related conversations to this thread.

Still rocking an old iPhone 4S.  Really only use to it to make calls and check email so will hold out a year before upgrading.  Bought my wife an iPhone 6S last Christmas and it's such a different experience using that phone compared to mine.  But with all the rumours that the big upgrade is coming next year, I'll sit tight and see what next September has in store.

Here's an article on what to expect next year based on what Apple delivered this year:

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-8-how-iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-hints-at-next-years-breakthrough-phone/

19 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I don't think so they will release an Iphone 8 next year.

From their pervious track record, it will be the 7s. I don't think so they would do something extra ordinary for the 7s. 

You could be right.  Year after year people assume Apple will deviate from their S model release.  However, next year there's a lot of reasons to think they might change things up:

- 10 year anniversary.
- Most tech insiders have reported that major changes are coming in 2017 (to celebrate the 10th anniversary)
- Virtually no cosmetic changes to the phone for three years by the time the next iPhone comes out.  It's hard to imagine Apple going four years before changing up the physical design.
- It's been speculated that many of the big technological innovations planned weren't ready for this year but should be good to go next year.

Again, it's been a fool errand to expect a deviation from the new model number followed by the S upgrade the year after.  But again, there's a lot of smoke to the theory that we could see a change in 2017.

There were leaks about the new macbook pro which should be released in October this year if not then it would be next year, so I can see that happening in 2017 for the macbooks.

There are less chances, but I hope they release a 4inch model which looks like the 6s/7. That would be the perfect thing for me.

I find 6 and above models too big for me. I thought to buy the SE, but its basically the same shit, no new design. 

I went from a 4 to 5, so it was a really good change for me that time. 

@downzy as your wife has the 6s, don't you find it too big as you have a 4s at the moment? 

Edited by Slash787

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

There were leaks about the new macbook pro which should be released in October this year if not then it would be next year, so I can see that happening in 2017 for the macbooks.

There are less chances, but I hope they release a 4inch model which looks like the 6s/7. That would be the perfect thing for me.

I find 6 and above models too big for me. I thought to buy the SE, but its basically the same shit, no new design. 

I went from a 4 to 5, so it was a really good change for me that time. 

@downzy as your wife has the 6s, don't you find it too big as you have a 4s at the moment? 

Meh, like anything, it's a matter of getting use to it.  I'm likely to get the plus next year as I like the photo applications it has in terms of remote photography.