Slash and Duff/Frank and Richard discussion

Just going from the clips I think they sound great! The Frank blunder in Jungle was a bit surprising (could easily have had monitor issues an missed his cue, happens to us all) and funny with Slash's response :P

I wonder how much lead work Richards going to get, is he relegated to the Dave kushner VR role? we'll see. Slash is obviously the main lead guitar player (no question!) but when you have someone like Richard in the band it's crazy to just ask him to play rhythm. I'm probably in the minority when I say I wouldn't mind Richard playing 'some' of Slash's solo's live... just spices things up a bit IMO, obviously not the big songs Jungle, SCOM (although he could take one of the smaller solos) etc. 

It's hard to say how they gelled because I've only seen 9mins of footage but they looked at ease... well as comfortable as you can be on a small stage with 7 band members.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, buzzsaw said:

No need for anyone other than slash to play his solos. Do what you want with the cd stuff, but don't screw with the classics. 

Agreed.. They already screw with the classics enough with the drums and synths.. Dont start having Fortus start playing Slash's solos now.

• Like 2

In the tour proper I feel like Richard will probably get a solo spot. Between that and the CD songs he'll have plenty of places to shine. There is absolutely no reason for anybody but Slash to play the role of Slash. Richard is both a professional and a great rhythm player so he'll do the job he needs to do. Apparently him, Slash, and Duff did quite the jam in Rocket Queen and the two traded licks in KOHD. I guess we'll know more from the Vegas shows. Stuff like that is fine and I really like the idea of Slash and Richard being in the same band, but again, I'm sure Slash can play his own solos just fine.

Frank sounded fine in the clips save for the flub in Jungle which seemed to be a mixture of a missed cue and Axl not doing the full "You're in the jungle baby..." before Slash started the riff. He had already fixed it by the second bar.

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

In the tour proper I feel like Richard will probably get a solo spot. Between that and the CD songs he'll have plenty of places to shine. There is absolutely no reason for anybody but Slash to play the role of Slash. Richard is both a professional and a great rhythm player so he'll do the job he needs to do. Apparently him, Slash, and Duff did quite the jam in Rocket Queen and the two traded licks in KOHD. I guess we'll know more from the Vegas shows. Stuff like that is fine and I really like the idea of Slash and Richard being in the same band, but again, I'm sure Slash can play his own solos just fine.

Frank sounded fine in the clips save for the flub in Jungle which seemed to be a mixture of a missed cue and Axl not doing the full "You're in the jungle baby..." before Slash started the riff. He had already fixed it by the second bar.

Can somebody explain to my what exactly Frank did wrong at the beginning of jungle? Because when I listen to Slashs intro riff, Frank comes in at the right moment but I'm not an expert. Also something must have been wrong, otherwise slash wouldn't have looked that way :P

Is it a coincidence that the two most anonymous players from Nu GnR are staying? I have absolutely no idea about their personalities except they are "nice guys". Bumble, DJ, Stinson and Pitman are all at least more colorful people. Not that I am saying I would have liked them to stay, god no. But I also feel like classic GNR was always made up by big personalities, perhaps not Gilby but he was still hand-picked by the guys and seemed to be Slash and Duff's partner in crime. I can't really even imagine these guys together socially. 

7 hours ago, buzzsaw said:

No need for anyone other than slash to play his solos. Do what you want with the cd stuff, but don't screw with the classics. 

I sincerely doubt they'll screw with that. It would make absolutely no sense for Fortus to play the first solo in NR for example (as he was when Slash was gone), but things like KOHD and the CD material make total sense for him to take solos on IMO.

As for the chemistry, this is like judging Axl's voice; we just don't have enough to go on yet. I'm sure we'll have tons of video after this weekend to weed through and discuss how they rhythm section is working together.

7 hours ago, buzzsaw said:

I wouldn't mind to see Richard take a stab at Sweet Child. Slash is probably tired of playing it. I think he actually claimed to be tired of it in 1988 so maybe its time for Fortus to take that one over....and ya know Slash never really liked the ballads all that much either so I think it'd be cool to hand November Rain, Don't Cry, and Patience over to Richard as well.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like to hear Slash's take on CD songs over Richard. I'm perfectly fine with Richard being just the rhythm guitar player. While definitely better than Ashba -please...- I never hound his solos to stand out.

As for the chemistry between Frank/Richard and Duff/Slash, I imagine it helped that Duff played with them before and seems more settled in than Slash, but for a first gig the clips from Troubadour sounded great and much better than I had expected to be honest. And yeah, the WTTJ opening miscue by Frank was funny, but they easily recovered and it just adds to the live experience. I imagine Frank's playing will continue to be under heavy scrutiny anyway, it is what it is.

Edited by Bumblefeet

21 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I wouldn't mind to see Richard take a stab at Sweet Child. Slash is probably tired of playing it. I think he actually claimed to be tired of it in 1988 so maybe its time for Fortus to take that one over....and ya know Slash never really liked the ballads all that much either so I think it'd be cool to hand November Rain, Don't Cry, and Patience over to Richard as well.

Yes, this sounds great, but lets go one step further..Slash can bow down to Fortus while constantly chanting, 'I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy', as Fortus takes his rightful place as GNR's primary lead guitarist. 

4 hours ago, Harry Sunrise said:

Can somebody explain to my what exactly Frank did wrong at the beginning of jungle? Because when I listen to Slashs intro riff, Frank comes in at the right moment but I'm not an expert. Also something must have been wrong, otherwise slash wouldn't have looked that way :P

Watch Frank very closely and you'll see him hesitate ever so slightly instead of hitting that first cymbal right on the beat. He misses it by a fraction of a second so his hi-hat rhythm is ever so slightly off with the rhythm of the riff. That only lasts for a bar because he finds the beat by the second cymbal hit. No big deal. I think Axl skipping the lines probably screwed him up because he wasn't expecting Slash to start so soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

no, no, no, no, no.

and... no.

I really like Richard, have always been a fan and for me he's up there with Gilby as the most preferable replacement for Izzy, but absolutely no reason why Slash should step aside on parts he's written and performed for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think the new guitar player did a good job. He could lighten up a bit, though.

i like him much better than the old new one. take care by us lol but no seriously, im extremely happy that we know for sure now that the band member who wears mascara actually has a vagina. no trickery

duff and slash are irreplaceable... richard and frank are decent players but you can throw anyone else in their place and i wouldnt really give a shit unless it was assba

I'm not saying a 50/50 split (probably closer to 20/80), but on a lesser known song? that doesn't have a bonafide classic Slash solo? I'd be happy with Slash asking Richard "you wanna take this one?". I doubt Richard cares one way or the other, he still gets paid. Kushner asked to take some solo's in VR and he was denied it... on songs he wrote! (in particular, Get out the door) You could tell he was getting burned up by it reading the guitar related Libertad interviews.

The vision Axl had back in 1994/96 was to get in a guitar player that could dual with Slash (I can't imagine Axl has changed his mind on that as well as getting the guys back in the band)... Richard is definitely a capable player that is different enough from Slash to add in some new ideas, and he's professional enough to know when he should lay back and just stick to rhythm. 

Again, I'm not saying Richard has any claim to play any of Slash's solo's. If Slash wants them all for himself, the majority of the audience wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'm saying a solo here and there beyond just the Izzy Nightrain solo. Definitely agree that Richard should be doing the larger chunk of CD solo's, and IMO if there's new material he should get a look in.

I'm not trying to turn this into a Richard vs Slash thing, Slash is obviously one of my favourite guitarists and the alpha, but, I just enjoyed what Richard did too and don't see any harm in letting him have a look in.

• Like 2

It is too soon to tell, but I always thought Richard's way of thinking about rhythm guitar was similar to Izzy's, so it could fit in with Slash's playing well. 

3 hours ago, sparka said:

no, no, no, no, no.

and... no.

I really like Richard, have always been a fan and for me he's up there with Gilby as the most preferable replacement for Izzy, but absolutely no reason why Slash should step aside on parts he's written and performed for the last 30 years.

Yeah, tell slash to step back so Fortus can take the lead and see what happens...

I think Slash/Fortus sounded great together. It sounds like Guns N' Roses, and for once you can hear Fortus' rhythm unlike with NuGuns. Fortus did Buckets solo in Better, Izzys solo in Nightrain and a solo in KOHD. Obviously the sets are gonna be much longer in Vegas and for the rest of the tour so there could be more solos that Fortus will take on some songs, but make no mistake Slash is THE lead guitarist, as it should and always will be.

I wonder if full shows that will demand more songs to be played are going to include Fortus taking more leads.  I mean, how many songs they can play?  How many songs would Slash have to re-learn (even if he wrote them)?  Fortus already knows the songs.

That said, having Slash on stage and not playing, say, one of his November Rain solos is just plain wrong and people would not like that.  And by people, I mean people who are at the show, not us forum members.  It's like having Slash up there and seeing how Fortus that nobody knows about, plays the solo of Sweet Child O' Mine with Slash just doing rhythm.  I, personally, would boo that shit if I bought a ticket.

I hope Slash play all the solos sans those CD songs they've been playing.  That's the way it should be.  People have waited more than 20 years to see Slash perform these songs.  Fortus has performed them since 2002.  Time to step back and let the lead guitarist of REAL Guns N' Roses do his thing.

• Like 2