covers

if i were to choose the setlist there'd be no covers including not having kohd or live and let die.  if duff is gonna sing have him do so fine.  to put it bluntly id rather hear more songs written by guns (dead horse, bad apples, you're crazy, breakdown, don't damn me, twat, sod) there's a ton id rather hear then any cover that they do.  just my opinion - all songs written by gnr are better than any cover.  thanks for your time.

13 minutes ago, Asdiz said:

if i were to choose the setlist there'd be no covers including not having kohd or live and let die.  if duff is gonna sing have him do so fine.  to put it bluntly id rather hear more songs written by guns (dead horse, bad apples, you're crazy, breakdown, don't damn me, twat, sod) there's a ton id rather hear then any cover that they do.  just my opinion - all songs written by gnr are better than any cover.  thanks for your time.

I would drop Live and Let Die for sure but I don't mind some covers.. Layla was cool as hell and totally out of left field for me. I didn't follow NuGuns and didn't know they played it too.  Knockin On Heavens Door was always one of my favorites but I am not too fond of the way they played it Friday.. I always loved hearing Slash tear it up on that song but it turned into the Richard Fortus show.

5 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Well, KOHD and LALD were hits, so they 'have' to play them, but yes..more originals from the UYI albums. 

i understand that - they were always my least favs on their albums though so if i were to choose they wouldnt be played.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would drop Live and Let Die for sure but I don't mind some covers.. Layla was cool as hell and totally out of left field for me. I didn't follow NuGuns and didn't know they played it too.  Knockin On Heavens Door was always one of my favorites but I am not too fond of the way they played it Friday.. I always loved hearing Slash tear it up on that song but it turned into the Richard Fortus show.

Because he has almost no solos during the old songs anymore. So he has more solos on the cover songs and on the CD songs.

23 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

I don't understand why so much of the UYI material has been ignored. 

The problem is; what can they drop from the setlist to make most people happy...
Chinese songs, sure, but I guess Axl is demanding those played. Then there is not a lot of room, unless they add, as most of the current set list are song they must play. I prefer them to keep doing Coma :D

Whatever they decide to do, or not do, there will always be a group of fans that don't like it. There's no winning.

BTW, Live and Let Die may technically be a cover, but it was also a hit for the band and a staple of their live performances since the UYI tour. It's not really realistic to expect them to omit it. Plus, Axl sounded exceptionally good performing it the past 2 nights. Same goes for KOHD. Heck, they've been performing that since their club days.

I do agree with the point about Duff, but I think they may have the goal of playing at least 1 song from every album. New Rose/Attitude accomplishes that.

21 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

The problem is; what can they drop from the setlist to make most people happy...
Chinese songs, sure, but I guess Axl is demanding those played. Then there is not a lot of room, unless they add, as most of the current set list are song they must play. I prefer them to keep doing Coma :D

They can drop CD, TIL, Better, Its so easy, Rocket Queen, Jams and The Seeker on some nights and add some UYI songs. 

Its so easy can be replaced with Right Next Door To Hell or Perfect Crime as an opener.

Edited by sonofnazareth

Was LALD really that big of a hit? I don't remember that from back in the day. Either way there is no reason for it to be a staple, only original songs should be. Don't cry surely must have been a bigger hit and that hardly makes the set list. 

KOHD gets a free pass and I normally think it's cool to see them pay tribute to other bands, if they keep mixing it up. Wouldn't mind never hearing Nice Boys ever again though. Mama Kin is ten times better. 

GN'R play Live and Let Die because they made it their own song. The vast majority of covers are recorded to make a quick buck without any consideration of quality. GN'R did a fantastic remake of it and fully deserve to be able to play it live. 

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

GN'R play Live and Let Die because they made it their own song. The vast majority of covers are recorded to make a quick buck without any consideration of quality. GN'R did a fantastic remake of it and fully deserve to be able to play it live. 

They did a fantastic remake, but really its too overplayed now, they should just do it occasionally now. Id rather hear You're Crazy or Used to love her than Live and Let Die. 

2 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Nobody is saying they shouldn't play it, not just every night year after year, decade after decade. 

just counted up that GNR have released 79 studio songs and 17 of them are covers. 19 if you include the 2 hollywood rose songs on lies. 

thats got to be a very high percentage for any band 

2 minutes ago, donny said:

just counted up that GNR have released 79 studio songs and 17 of them are covers. 19 if you include the 2 hollywood rose songs on lies. 

Most of those are from The Spaghetti Incident. Remove those and you have a more average ratio.

1 minute ago, Gracii Guns said:

Most of those are from The Spaghetti Incident. Remove those and you have a more average ratio.

yes 13 from spaghetti if you include look at your game girl 

24 minutes ago, donny said:

id love to see axl sing reckless life from a wheelchair.

• Like 1

If they're going to be doing covers why not a couple of new ones instead?  It would be an easy way to get something fresh into the set and some the old ones are definitely tired.

I have personally always found Duff's 'punk' voice on Attitude a little cringey. Yes, I know about his background but it just doesn't sound genuine.

It's obvious they like to cover other bands. I could get behind them doing a "Spaghetti 2" sometime, but until then. They should stick to the covers they've already recorded and released IMO. But scrap LALD, instead play Mama Kin, play Nice Boys, play Aint it fun, play Sympathy etc.