Matt Sorum Says He 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In Guns N' Roses Reunion

2 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Tour is called "Not In This Lifetime", yet it isn't a reunion.  Haha.

A reunion would have been axl, slash, Izzy, duff, and dizzy. Either Matt and/or Steven would have sufficed on drums. A reunion is getting all the people who made the band what they were in the bands heyday to return. This isn't a reunion, it's GNR evolving in the right direction. But to the general public and media who are rarely accurate, all you need is axl and slash. The frontmen. Is kiss on a reunion tour with just gene and Paul?! No it was a reunion when they brought back ace and Peter. Doesn't matter what this tours name is, although funny and ironic..

Edited by Billsfan

3 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Press release tea-leaves reading or not, Guns n' Roses promoting concerts as Guns n' Roses to me means the original band. Anything or anyone less, it's not GNR. I don't give a flying fuck who "owns" the name, let alone why. We're talking about music, not a freaking factory. 

Well, that's your problem.    You are free to have your opinions, delusional or not.

1 hour ago, Nick Cobraetti said:

It is still his band. At the end of the day, he's still the one calling the shots.

Pretty much.  However, Slash's addition to the band brings in a lot more $$$, so its safe to say he and Duff do have a little more leverage than members past.

1 hour ago, CardinalGunner said:

Well, that's your problem.    You are free to have your opinions, delusional or not.

Pretty much.  However, Slash's addition to the band brings in a lot more $$$, so its safe to say he and Duff do have a little more leverage than members past.

Agreed, absolutely. 

12 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I know Sorum is one of the more divisive members but I love the Illusions and he was the drummer on those and because of that I'm a fan of his.  I'd like to see him play some shows/songs.  I think he deserves it.

I'd love to see him play You Could Be Mine one more time, I think he did a hell of a job on that song!

• Like 1

I think Matt was the perfect drummer for UYI. He was responsible for the remarkable drum-parts in November Rain and besides that, he was always in a good shape when it was show-time.
With Adler they wouldn´t have been able to play half of the 192 UYI-gigs.

So for me Matt was by far the best drummer in GNR and by the way: he really is a nice guy !!

3 hours ago, DexAxl said:

Of course they did not asked Matt because they are waiting Steven to get healthy. Don't cry Matt ;)

Yeah don't cry Matt,you Obvious Albatross!  Unfortunately your drumming and your drum solos has always,and will always be straight up weak sauce.Thank the lord in heaven nobody has to live through that ever again.

1 hour ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

Yeah don't cry Matt,you Obvious Albatross!  Unfortunately your drumming and your drum solos has always,and will always be straight up weak sauce.Thank the lord in heaven nobody has to live through that ever again.

So you are not going to listen to Illusion ever again I understand? Your Guns discography has just halved and it was already minuscule to begin with!

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So you are not going to listen to Illusion ever again I understand? Your Guns discography has just halved and it was already minuscule to begin with!

I love Illusions ever since the day it came out when my brother and I both bought on cassette at the midnight release,compared to AFD,The drumming is definitely weak on those records,I was bummed but it's easy to zone out due to the brilliant songwriting by the founders of the band which Matt had zero contribution! I don't see any Sorum writing credits on UYI? Do you? Nope.

Anyways,of course I will always still listen to Illusions,when I said,Thank heavens nobody has to live through that again,I meant his drum solos! which are equivalent to the drum soloing of Lars Ulrich,straight up weak sauce.But Metallica is pretty much Lars' band so no one can say shit.

I find it hilarious and sad watching people on this thread continue to voice their opinion on the importance of Matt Sorum! LolGimme a break.When he got the job,the rest of Guns said Matt saved the band from breaking up,kudos to Matt but it doesn't matter what drummer got the job,I guarentee the band would of stated the same thing.To each his own though,just stating my opinion.Im sorry people,I just never dug Matt.Im ecstatic where the band is at now.They actually have someone on drums that actually hits harder than Matt! Lol,Thank you Frank!

40 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

I love Illusions ever since the day it came out when my brother and I both bought on cassette at the midnight release,compared to AFD,The drumming is definitely weak on those records,I was bummed but it's easy to zone out due to the brilliant songwriting by the founders of the band which Matt had zero contribution! I don't see any Sorum writing credits on UYI? Do you? Nope.

Anyways,of course I will always still listen to Illusions,when I said,Thank heavens nobody has to live through that again,I meant his drum solos! which are equivalent to the drum soloing of Lars Ulrich,straight up weak sauce.But Metallica is pretty much Lars' band so no one can say shit.

I find it hilarious and sad watching people on this thread continue to voice their opinion on the importance of Matt Sorum! LolGimme a break.When he got the job,the rest of Guns said Matt saved the band from breaking up,kudos to Matt but it doesn't matter what drummer got the job,I guarentee the band would of stated the same thing.To each his own though,just stating my opinion.Im sorry people,I just never dug Matt.Im ecstatic where the band is at now.They actually have someone on drums that actually hits harder than Matt! Lol,Thank you Frank!

I even prefer Adler yet I disagree with you, on the importance of Sorum to those albums. And If I disliked a drum performance that much, as you do, I would personally not listen to the music again.

14 hours ago, Nick Cobraetti said:

It is still his band. At the end of the day, he's still the one calling the shots.

I highly doubt Slash and Duff would put themselves in a position again where Axl was the only one calling the shots.  Been there done that.  There were concessions made on both sides, Frank and that girl being the 2 most obvious.  But there's no way these shows would be happening if Axl went into this with anything less than a mutual respect for Slash and Duff. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

I highly doubt Slash and Duff would put themselves in a position again where Axl was the only one calling the shots.  Been there done that.  There were concessions made on both sides, Frank and that girl being the 2 most obvious.  But there's no way these shows would be happening if Axl went into this with anything less than a mutual respect for Slash and Duff. 

I agree with this. I can't imagine that this reunion didn't happen without lots of negotiation and compromise on both sides.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2016 at 8:57 PM, Nosaj Thing said:

Agreed.

I think a lot of people have this weird concept and idea that Matt Sorum is a douchebag.  I have read some people think he is a douchebag because he used to have that utterly awful hair back in the UYI days.  Like, one thing is connected to the other. :lol:  I mean, you can't try to be rational with them.  They're blind.

I'm glad he was asked and I'm glad he replied.  Now I know he wasn't asked.  Which is too bad and too sad.  He's a great drummer.

Matt Sorum's poodle perm was amazing!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NineInchGun said:

For me, this tour is all about seeing Axl and Slash on the same stage (nothing against Duff, but I wasn't dying to see any of his shows with nuGNR). I have my tickets and don't mind that Frank is drumming.

But I feel for Matt. He has to feel like Slash and Duff were his allies considering all they've done together post-GNR, and I don't blame if he feels betrayed they've agreed to play stadiums with Axl and Frank.

On the same token, I don't blame Slash & Duff for agreeing to play with Frank, presumably much cheaper than Matt. Matt's absence likely has minimal impact on ticket sales. As others have said in this thread, Axl likely wanted a balance that made it feel like it's still his band.

I have no idea what Matt's financial situation is, but I think all AFD/UYI Gunners know that the demand for any solo/supergroup shows plummets with NITL.

Geez. Axl is still Axl. It's still his bands. He will insist on certain things going his way and certain members being of his choice. So really, there is no reason for anyone to feel betrayed by Duff and Slash. Axl is not taking this lying down. And when he insists on some of his people to be part of the regrouping, than that's the way it is going to go. And why should Slash and Duff refuse to be in GNR again, just because the replacement drummer of their liking is being denied?? Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stella said:

I agree with this. I can't imagine that this reunion didn't happen without lots of negotiation and compromise on both sides.

...and perhaps apologies on both sides.....hard feelings sometimes can be overcome with a long sitdown...or multiple meetings....maybe some day we will read it in a book....gonna be one hell of story.

Been watching countless videos lately and there seems to be a new found respect between Slash and Axl....

I am just glad the drunks and booze ain't part of the equation anymore....

The band is 100% on fire....

Watch this....fucking goddamn amazing...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

I think this is pretty much true..

Also part of the concession on Slash/Duff's side is including CD material and helping give that era legitimacy.     And at the same time, Slash has obviously been given the green light to change up the songs to his style.. so they in a sense become his songs too.   Its a win/win for all.

While it is Axl's band ultimately, Slash's involvement brings in stupid money.. so obviously there is more leverage there.

Edited by CardinalGunner
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

No disagreement at all. The point I was trying and failing to make was that Axl hadn't ceded any ownership but obviously none of this happens without Slash and Duff, who have every right to look out for their best interests as well. Sorry if I was unclear there

Edited by Nick Cobraetti
clarity

• 4 weeks later...

Matt Sorum Interview - Forbes

5/11/2016

He is also starting rehearsals this week for an upcoming Hollywood Vampires tour, the supergroup he plays in alongside Alice Cooper, Aerosmith’s Joe Perry and Johnny Depp. The band will be touring the U.S. in July, while Sorum’s old band, Guns ‘N’ Roses, is doing their high-profile reunion tour. Sorum is quite content where he is though. “I’m in the right band right now if you get my drift. I’m happy to be playing with my heroes,” he says.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2016/05/11/matt-sorum-talks-hollywood-vampires-playing-with-rock-legends/#912e6062ef26

Its a shame. Ive always loved sorum ( my favorite drummer in the world)

But he's showing every single interview how right was axl leting him out of this reborn guns n roses.

Makes me sad, cause he's the perfect drumer for gnr in so many ways.. But at the same time is nice to see that the real bad apple is out of the picture now.. For me nothing can hurt gnr team from now on.  Plus they hava a very solid, capable and strung drummer who actually is a "team player" . ( and sober, and a family dude, ).

21 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

Its a shame. Ive always loved sorum ( my favorite drummer in the world)

But he's showing every single interview how right was axl leting him out of this reborn guns n roses.

Makes me sad, cause he's the perfect drumer for gnr in so many ways.. But at the same time is nice to see that the real bad apple is out of the picture now.. For me nothing can hurt gnr team from now on.  Plus they hava a very solid, capable and strung drummer who actually is a "team player" . ( and sober, and a family dude, ).

I get the whole "Matt was a meany to Axl" narrative...

But what is he supposed to say?

Poor Matt. He can't really win.

Sentenced to a lifetime of having old YouTube videos reposted of "passive aggressive Axl jabs"

NO REUNION IN THIS LIFETIME FOR YOU!!!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2016 at 7:50 PM, passenger57 said:

"Use Your Reunions"

That's brilliant!

They will keep making a boatload of money by using their "Reunion" cards wisely!

Next up, The Adler Reunion, followed by Izzy, the Sorum reunion, followed by the Gilby and Tracii Guns reunions!

but in the grand scheme of things its all about Axl and Slash reuniting