DJ Ashba: Walking Away From GN'R Was The Hardest Decision I've Ever Had To Make

51 minutes ago, Apollo said:

You left out one point....The guy Axl personally picked to be a part of GnR. Axl thought he was good enough to fill the roll as a GnR guitar player. And kept him in the band for several years and tours. And from people actually in the know (not just fans guessing) the guy that Axl was planning to KEEP in the band. He wasn't fired. 

DJ wanted to create and release music to share with his fans. An aspect of music that Axl doesn't care about. DJ is extremely fan friendly, Axl isn't.

DJ loves to work full time. An aspect that doesn't interest Axl. Which is fine, guy is in his mid-50s and has millions of dollars. Nothing wrong with going part time at that point of your career. 

DJ had to choose. 

Six AM where he could write and release music. Or anther year with GnR touring the old songs. 

And has soon as the reunion rumors got heat to them, DJ (and Bumble and Tommy) knew that CD2 would never be released. 

DJ chose integrity over money. To not respect him for that is really weird. 

DJ did nothing that involved "integrity." He's been able to paint a nice picture for himself, but he ventured on GN'R being on break longer than it was and committed himself to Sixx A.M. When Axl decided to pick up GN'R again, DJ was caught with his pants down. 

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

You left out one point....The guy Axl personally picked to be a part of GnR. Axl thought he was good enough to fill the roll as a GnR guitar player. And kept him in the band for several years and tours. And from people actually in the know (not just fans guessing) the guy that Axl was planning to KEEP in the band. He wasn't fired. 

DJ wanted to create and release music to share with his fans. An aspect of music that Axl doesn't care about. DJ is extremely fan friendly, Axl isn't.

DJ loves to work full time. An aspect that doesn't interest Axl. Which is fine, guy is in his mid-50s and has millions of dollars. Nothing wrong with going part time at that point of your career. 

DJ had to choose. 

Six AM where he could write and release music. Or anther year with GnR touring the old songs. 

And has soon as the reunion rumors got heat to them, DJ (and Bumble and Tommy) knew that CD2 would never be released. 

DJ chose integrity over money. To not respect him for that is really weird. 

Yes, he was very fan friendly. I've met him, and yes he was very friendly to me. 

Yes he's a hard worker and I have no doubt that he wanted to write tons of shit with Axl.

My problem with him was his use of being in GnR to draw attention to himself, with the intent of selling "swag". The attempt to make a new fuckin "top hat". Basically the attempt to increase his "brand".

You think it's a compliment when Axl calls him DJ "Trademark" Ashba???

Nikki Sixx is all about whoring it up for all its worth, so DJ figured he was better off hitching his wagon to him instead.

And have a creative outlet, of course. I wish him well. But I think their music is goddamn whiny emo horseshit personally... I imagine Axl felt the same when he heard DJs songwriter offerings...

12 hours ago, Apollo said:

It's sort of a sad reflection of the route a portion of this forum has taken. 

During the recent concert topics there was a pretty vocal community complaining about people who were being negative with their posts. And in all topics, these poster are quick to attack anybody that says something negative about Axl. BUT when the topic is about DJ or Gilby or  or anybody who isn't kissing Axl's ass - then they lose their early standard and now it's OK to be negative and insult the musician. 

I know this is a GnR forum. So there will be the crazy Axl Nut Patrol. But at least don't have a double standard. Don't be a hypocrite. You can't say "Stop saying negative things about Axl. If you don't like him why are you posting here. Get a life, hater." Then three days later in a topic about Gilby or DJ the same poster is posting "that guy sucks and is the worst guitar player in the world. F*ck him and his mother." The sad part is they don't realize they are doing the exact same thing they bash others for doing. 

I love DJ's work ethic and motivation to create and share music with his fans. I wish Axl shares those qualities. 

But he really didn't seem to fit in with GnR. His look and attitude wasn't old school GnR and he seems more comfortable with the hot topic and skinny jean crowd. Girls who think fish lips in pictures are cool. 

And everything he said in this interview is true. Not sure why people are bashing him for it. I guess it's because he isn't in GnR now, so we must hate everything he says and does. 

Many great points here. I have been a member here for 4 or 5 years now and for a while didn't post because of this same thing during the whole Axl vs Slash years. Many fans would say this or that about one or the other. Things don't change its the same just now insert DJS name.

I am a big supporter of Axl but I have and still do aknowledge DJ and think he's a very humble guy. I appreciate all he brought to GnR.

Some may feel they have to now be rude to DJ or diss him because Slash is back again note I said some. But DJ isn't rude about Slash he aknowledges how great he is and as a fan how excited he is for GnR. 

It's just like now Axl has finally done what many wanted and still we hear the Lazy comments or why are they playing CD songs.

Many are so quick to call DJ a liar because he said he was asked to take part in this reunion of sorts. People claiming he has no place there and how upset Slash would have been but Noone mentions that DJ has been there loyal to Axl and how honorable Axl has been to them.

Why must DJ be lying? Why couldn't it be that Axl isn't going to just shove these guys aside. Sure Slash was going to be the lead guitarist but DJ still could have been implemented somehow rather through guest appearances or playing a few songs.

Then fans sit and wonder why Axl doesn't talk much to us or why no interviews one moment they are praising him the next he must be lazy.

I can understand DJ'S want to sing his own music and be creative. I can't nor will I pretend to know why Axl hasn't released new music but perhaps the fact that for many he's always in the wrong. I mean people complaining Slash is playing CD songs is one example. No matter he will always get the brunt of it all. Just as ex members like DJ can be humble and respectful yet some will always call him names or not accept his part he played in GnR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

when did he say that? video?

He said it a lot during band intros with that lineup. I'm pretty sure he says it in the Appetite for Democracy DVD, but I haven't watched it in a few months, so I could be wrong there. But I saw that lineup 3 times, and I know he said it while I was there. I looked quick for a link, but can't find any intros of that era without being buried in a full show. That's more effort than I want to give to prove it, but believe me, I didn't make it up!

When you say DJ is your favorite GnR guitarist after Slash, you're a man on a sparsely inhabited island there my friend. Hey- that's cool- I feel ya. I like having Richard and Frank in this band, and lots of people bash them around here like there's no tomorrow too. GnR has been a lot of things to a lot of people, so it's gonna happen... It makes this forum go round...

Personally, I think DJ made the right choice. And I don't miss him. Nor necessarily believe his statement, but I won't call him a liar. We will never know, because Axl will never fuckin say a word about it, I'm sure...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

DJ did nothing that involved "integrity." He's been able to paint a nice picture for himself, but he ventured on GN'R being on break longer than it was and committed himself to Sixx A.M. When Axl decided to pick up GN'R again, DJ was caught with his pants down. 

Lol. No. 

13 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yes, he was very fan friendly. I've met him, and yes he was very friendly to me. 

Yes he's a hard worker and I have no doubt that he wanted to write tons of shit with Axl.

My problem with him was his use of being in GnR to draw attention to himself, with the intent of selling "swag". The attempt to make a new fuckin "top hat". Basically the attempt to increase his "brand".

You think it's a compliment when Axl calls him DJ "Trademark" Ashba???

Nikki Sixx is all about whoring it up for all its worth, so DJ figured he was better off hitching his wagon to him instead.

And have a creative outlet, of course. I wish him well. But I think their music is goddamn whiny emo horseshit personally... I imagine Axl felt the same when he heard DJs songwriter offerings...

I can't stand Sixx AM either. Horrible music, IMO. 

But why wouldn't DJ use his GnR job to rep his own stuff? It would have been idiotic not to. The day that Axl chose DJ to be in the band was the day he had every right to promote himself as the GnR guitar player. Have you been to the GnR official store and seen how much they charge for official merchandise? It's outrageous. 

But unless you own a rock n roll clothing store or line, why would you waste one second of your life being pissed off about what clothing DJ was selling? Axl didn't mind.   If you don't like something - don't buy it. Problem solved. No need to be outraged or carry around anger over it. 

Would I buy his stuff? Hell no. But Axl chose him and Axl didn't mind him having his own line of merch. His merch doesn't effect me .0001% in life. So who cares what he did. As long as Axl thought it was OK, then more power to the guy. 

• Like 1