DJ Ashba: Walking Away From GN'R Was The Hardest Decision I've Ever Had To Make

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i am hoping that all the 4 hired hands (including dizzy reed) take the very same decision sooner than later

i they dont, i am hoping that axl, slash and duff are smart enough to get rid of them asap

so izzy can come back and hopefully steven and we cabn have GNR again

honestly i pretty much count Dizzy part of the band, hes not going anywhere

would love if Izzy and Steven came back though but its not likely gonna happen

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Giving food to the homeless? Cool! Filming yourself giving food and money to the homeless set to your own dramatic music? Come on... 

But if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

I know what you mean about filming it and how that might look to some people but I think what matters is he did it. I don't know if the homeless people cared about it being on video so why should I? I think if DJ was a bad or immature person that would be one thing, but he seems pretty genuine and respectful towards other people. They just get to tell people a GNR guitarist gave them free lunch.

:shrugs:

59 minutes ago, Sprite said:

But if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

I know what you mean about filming it and how that might look to some people but I think what matters is he did it. I don't know if the homeless people cared about it being on video so why should I? I think if DJ was a bad or immature person that would be one thing, but he seems pretty genuine and respectful towards other people. They just get to tell people a GNR guitarist gave them free lunch.

:shrugs:

I respectfully disagree. It's a great act, but the way he did it was still an absolute attention grab. 

And if I was homeless and a famous person filmed themself giving me McDonald's and putting it on the internet I would certainly have an issue with it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

DJ "Trademark" Ashba... 

#sellout #sic #buymybeanie #monsterenergy...

The goddamn ridiculous stitched up top hat... 

The fingerless gloves...

Him & Nikki Sixx make a great pair...

They can share music, black hair dye, and makeup. Axl used to look over and say ahhhh there's my slash. Now Nikki can look over and say ahhhh there's my mick marrs.

1 hour ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

They can share music, black hair dye, and makeup. Axl used to look over and say ahhhh there's my slash. Now Nikki can look over and say ahhhh there's my mick marrs.

Haha- exactly! And ripped up clothes that look like they slept in an alley... Or a bakery? Wtf is up with the white flour looking shit on their clothes? Maybe Nikki is back into the yayo....

4 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

honestly i pretty much count Dizzy part of the band, hes not going anywhere

would love if Izzy and Steven came back though but its not likely gonna happen

i can live with dizzy

as long as we have izzy onboard -- and no other keyboard player and no other guitar player, just izzy and slash

and a great drummer

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i can live with dizzy

as long as we have izzy onboard -- and no other keyboard player and no other guitar player, just izzy and slash

and a great drummer

Also can live with Dizzy.. There is a definitely a place for him on songs like NR, Estranged.. His piano on KOHD during the 93 tour was cool. 

Axl
Slash
Duff
Gilby or Izzy
ANY drummer but Frank
Dizzy

• Like 1

Dizzy wrote the piano for Street Of Dreams, at least he has a major contribution. Also had a hand in writing There Was A Time and I.R.S as well as Oh My God. That's 4 tunes he was a part of creatively. I think he's good enough, was always good enough to be in Guns but I suppose you gotta like his style. I can see a situation where Dizzy might come up with something cool Slash can turn into something, or it's already been written and is in the vault.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Dizzy wrote the piano for Street Of Dreams, at least he has a major contribution. Also had a hand in writing There Was A Time and I.R.S as well as Oh My God. That's 4 tunes he was a part of creatively. I think he's good enough, was always good enough to be in Guns but I suppose you gotta like his style. I can see a situation where Dizzy might come up with something cool Slash can turn into something, or it's already been written and is in the vault.

are these songs from that axl solo album?

has dizzy ever written anything for Guns n Roses also?

:lol:

• Like 1

I wish him absolutely nothing but the best. I detested every moment he was in GN'R, and I think he's at best a "good" guitar player, but he clearly loves what he does and I am happy he enjoys playing in Sixx A.M. so much. That band appears better suited for his style (both fashion and music). To be perfectly honest, I probably would not have even minded DJ that much, were he in the position that Richard filled during the 2002-2014 era; playing rhythm with the occasional lead. The fact that he somehow ended up with some of the most iconic guitar parts shows how much of a patchwork GN'R had become by the time he joined the band. 

• Like 2

I never understood all the hate for DJ, he has great energy and I never thought he butchered stuff...

I have no doubt it was a hard decision but can totally see why he wanted to leave. There was no gnr album in the works whatsoever and that would be very frustrating

• Like 1

He always seems so humble. I had no issues with DJ. It prefer obe member over another but enjoyed his time as a member of GnR and what he brought.

I also love that he still speaks highly of Axl and others in the band. He has never put Slash done that I have seen and always gave credit to those guys and their talents. Very respectful in my books and very respectful on Axl offering him a part in what's going on no matter how small the part.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ludurigan said:

are these songs from that axl solo album?

has dizzy ever written anything for Guns n Roses also?

:lol:

He's written for Axl, that's basically the same thing. His work on Street Of Dreams is probably his greatest artistic achievement in Guns that was released and the fact he contributed to 4 tunes makes me wonder if he wrote material that was never released that Axl liked.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

He's written for Axl, that's basically the same thing. His work on Street Of Dreams is probably his greatest artistic achievement in Guns that was released and the fact he contributed to 4 tunes makes me wonder if he wrote material that was never released that Axl liked.

i may be wrong but i think dizzy must not have written much (or anything at all) worthy for axl

I think that because (please correct me if i am wrong) dizzy has never wrote and relesed ANYTHING original outside of GNR

hes got a cover band hookers and blow

and that is it, right?

take a look at the five guys in GNR

all of them have release solo albums (except for steven but i am sure he created all the drum parts in the adler albums)

and take a look at the hired hands

pretty uch all of them have written, recorded and released stuff on the last 20-something years

dizzy? has he ever written and released anything?

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i may be wrong but i think dizzy must not have written much (or anything at all) worthy for axl

I think that because (please correct me if i am wrong) dizzy has never wrote and relesed ANYTHING original outside of GNR

hes got a cover band hookers and blow

and that is it, right?

take a look at the five guys in GNR

all of them have release solo albums (except for steven but i am sure he created all the drum parts in the adler albums)

and take a look at the hired hands

pretty uch all of them have written, recorded and released stuff on the last 20-something years

dizzy? has he ever written and released anything?

Yes, he was a part of the Dead Daisies as well, working on 2 albums with them. Also appeared on Slash's Snakepit and also on additional instruments on Pawnshop Guitars. He recorded on many more albums.

Also released a soundtrack for The Still Life movie.

Slash, Duff, and Izzy left, while Sorum and Gilby were fired. Not his fault he was still there, still working for Axl and writing in his band. It's still ideas he had to come up with that had to be good enough for Axl to use. 4 tunes from the Chinese era is proof enough for me that he can come up with important contributions as I enjoy all of the tunes he was involved with in New Guns.

Edited by Rovim

On May 17, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Sprite said:

You know I never did and still don't understand the hate for him. Yes he wasn't Slash. And maybe he didn't have the talent of Bucket, Robin or Ron to a lot of us. But to read some of these posts reminds me of the age of the forum it seems like? 

DJ brought a lot of dedicated fans to nugnr, like it or not. He had great stage presence for his generation. Surely Hogan ears and screwing up scom/this i love in those videos can't be all that is causing the hate? Maybe it's his clothing company? Not my style but he seems to have an audience and it is successful. 

I think he seems like a cool guy. I've always appreciated him as a person since he posted that video where he was giving food to homeless people in Las Vegas. 

I think bullying like everything is highly influenced by peers. I'd like to see you all think for yourselves and not judge so harshly a complete stranger who for all intents and purposes seems like a talented, respectful and very nice young man. I enjoyed each of the 3 shows I saw with him and the crowd responded well to him. He did what he was asked. Thanks DJ.

It's sort of a sad reflection of the route a portion of this forum has taken. 

During the recent concert topics there was a pretty vocal community complaining about people who were being negative with their posts. And in all topics, these poster are quick to attack anybody that says something negative about Axl. BUT when the topic is about DJ or Gilby or  or anybody who isn't kissing Axl's ass - then they lose their early standard and now it's OK to be negative and insult the musician. 

I know this is a GnR forum. So there will be the crazy Axl Nut Patrol. But at least don't have a double standard. Don't be a hypocrite. You can't say "Stop saying negative things about Axl. If you don't like him why are you posting here. Get a life, hater." Then three days later in a topic about Gilby or DJ the same poster is posting "that guy sucks and is the worst guitar player in the world. F*ck him and his mother." The sad part is they don't realize they are doing the exact same thing they bash others for doing. 

I love DJ's work ethic and motivation to create and share music with his fans. I wish Axl shares those qualities. 

But he really didn't seem to fit in with GnR. His look and attitude wasn't old school GnR and he seems more comfortable with the hot topic and skinny jean crowd. Girls who think fish lips in pictures are cool. 

And everything he said in this interview is true. Not sure why people are bashing him for it. I guess it's because he isn't in GnR now, so we must hate everything he says and does. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ironic thing is DJ Ashba left for his own peace of mind because Guns were too un-artistic and lazy to release new material. A 'musician' as laughable as DJ Ashba actually has more integrity than Guns N' Roses!

Say what you want about the dude, he is extremely hard working and chose less money/less fame but the ability to write, record and release music as a band over just being a hired hand and playing other people's music. 

And he is always extremely respectful and positive when talking about Axl and his time in GnR. 

• Like 1

On May 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Fitha_whiskey said:

DJ "Trademark" Ashba... 

#sellout #sic #buymybeanie #monsterenergy...

The goddamn ridiculous stitched up top hat... 

The fingerless gloves...

Him & Nikki Sixx make a great pair...

You left out one point....The guy Axl personally picked to be a part of GnR. Axl thought he was good enough to fill the roll as a GnR guitar player. And kept him in the band for several years and tours. And from people actually in the know (not just fans guessing) the guy that Axl was planning to KEEP in the band. He wasn't fired. 

DJ wanted to create and release music to share with his fans. An aspect of music that Axl doesn't care about. DJ is extremely fan friendly, Axl isn't.

DJ loves to work full time. An aspect that doesn't interest Axl. Which is fine, guy is in his mid-50s and has millions of dollars. Nothing wrong with going part time at that point of your career. 

DJ had to choose. 

Six AM where he could write and release music. Or anther year with GnR touring the old songs. 

And has soon as the reunion rumors got heat to them, DJ (and Bumble and Tommy) knew that CD2 would never be released. 

DJ chose integrity over money. To not respect him for that is really weird. 

• Like 2