GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

2 minutes ago, giuls said:

I think TIL is about her because, correct me if im wrong, Axl phoned Slash trying to make him stay so he Said goodbye or you mean that TWAT could be about Slash too?

About Sorry, im terrible , i always cackle when he sings "you know where to put your shut up and sing" because i think "... in your ass?" :awesomeface:  

Thank you Axl for this iconic line

lol what?

No, TWAT is not about Slash. It is clearly about Stephanie, she was a partyer cocaine snorter alcoholic nimphomaniac.

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol what?

No, TWAT is not about Slash. It is clearly about Stephanie, she was a partyer cocaine snorter alcoholic nimphomaniac.

Oh, i agree its about her, i didnt understand if TWAT was an example or not, it was an example.

English isnt my first language, sorry.

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Well I disagree here but I don't know why I disagree lol because I think I should ask you first why you think he wrote aggressive lyrics for Erin?

which song is like that? 

Locomotive comes first to mind, but maybe it's isn't solely about Erin. By "aggressive" I mean that he blames both himself and the other person(s). It is like "I did this to you and you did this to me" or more accurately like "I did this to you because you did this to me". Even in Estranged he says "When you took everything / Said you took everything from me". In TIL the subject is a brokenhearted person who has lost his pride and begs. It's an over-melodramatic song, lyrically and musically (and I think this is why I don't like it, but I admit that the way Axl's singing it doesn't leave me unmoved). There's no begging or this kind of melodrama in his UYI lyrics. Imo it's no coincidence that he covered such a self-blaming song as "Dust in the wind" in 1993, when he and Stephanie were in the breaking.

I think Axl's two serious relationships were dysfunctional in a different way. It seems that Erin really loved him and what he did to her is inexcusable, but it also seems from third parties' accounts that she had some serious issues too. If I remember correctly, even Alan Niven said that she had a way to push his "negative buttons".

With Stephanie he was at a different phase. For some reason he saw her as the ideal woman for a normal, affectionate relationship and for a family. When it fell apart, probably due to both his character and the non-reciprocaity (it seems that Stephanie didn't loved him as much as he loved her), he was devastated and he blamed himself for the failure.

Of course all this is just speculation, nobody could know Axl's feelings and what really happened with his relationships.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Locomotive comes first to mind, but maybe it's isn't solely about Erin. By "aggressive" I mean that he blames both himself and the other part. It is like "I did this to you and you did this to me" or more accurately like "I did this to you because you did this to me". Even in Estranged he says "When you took everything / Said you took everything from me". In TIL the subject is a brokenhearted person who has lost his pride and begs. It's an over-melodramatic song, lyrically and musically (and I think this is why I don't like it, but I admit that the way Axl's singing it doesn't leave me unmoved). There's no begging or this kind of melodrama in his UYI lyrics. Imo it's no coincidence that he covered such a self-blaming song as "Dust in the wind" in 1993, when he and Stephanie were in the breaking.

I think Axl's two serious relationships were dysfunctional in a different way. It seems that Erin really loved him and what he did to her is inexcusable, but it also seems from third parties' accounts that she had some serious issues too. If I remember correctly, even Alan Niven said that she had a way to push his "negative buttons".

With Stephanie he was at a different phase. For some reason he saw her as the ideal woman for a normal, affectionate relationship and for a family. When it fell apart, probably due to both his character and the non-reciprocaity (it seems that Stephanie didn't loved him as much as he loved her), he was devastated and he blamed himself for the failure.

Of course all this is just speculation, nobody could know Axl's feelings.

Hard for me to see Locomotive as lyrics to Erin but some lines could be possible. I don't know. And yeah, now I get what you mean. I agree with the TIL topic. It is so pathetic that I doubt you'll ever catch me singing that :lol:

From my experience, such level of pathetism you reach the first days after a break up. Maybe first months. But farther than that, I think it's sickening. I don't know how he can sign such a song now, really, it puts me off so much. I can't listen to it, lol. He signs very good but still, I just can't.

Well, knowing Niven I don't know if I can be objective in my opinion about that. All I'm gonna say is that no woman does anything deserving of physical and verbal mistreatment. That's like saying she deserved to be beaten up or whatever. And even if she was provoking him or starting the fights, a man can walk away until she calms down and if she doesn't, then leave her. 

Seymour was the total opposite of Erin. She hooked up with Axl for fame and glory. For being such a young girl she had already a very tumultuous life before him, involved with older men, married ones and very much into wild partying. She replaced him fast with Peter Brant. Not only that, they broke up in February 1993 and by March she was already pregnant of Brant.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slash787 said:

I forgot the name of the author of that unreleased book, I did try to contact her on FB, but got no reply

The book was ready, everything was final, but god knows what happened, after that she left her job and moved to Canada. 

She was really excited about it, but maybe Axl's lawyers threatened to sue her or something. 

Was that the Sorelle Saidman book? 

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@killuridols, was TIL a regular in the setlist or was it performed often in the NuGuns era, particularly in the years before the reunion? I'm asking because I have a far-fetched theory about why he sings it.

I think it's been in the setlist for a lifetime now, haha. Probably ever since CD was released. I'm not sure if it was played in 2006 or 2001-2002 but it definitely was part of the setlist consistently since 2009 onwards.

Ah, lyrics discussion, one of my favorite topics lol :wow:

Let's see...

Sorry- I agree with @killuridols on this one, I think this song is about various people who drag him down, but mostly Slash, the media, the fans, the music industry.

TIL- I can't decide between Erin and Steph (an argument could be made for either), but I'm leaning towards Steph, for all the reasons @killuridols mentioned. I've thought about that "She wouldn't say goodbye" line before and Slash's whining about Seymour ballads is a good point as well. Plus, I also vaguely remember what @Blackstar mentioned, about it being about Steph and Dylan. I don't remember where from, but it rings a bell. Actually, I think I'm gonna go with "It's about Stephanie" on that one. I hate the lyrics of TIL as well, because yeah, they're extremely corny, whiny, self-pitying and pathetic. I cringe every time I hear "I hoped she'd never leave, please God, you must believe me" etc. Waaaaahhh. Just terrible.

Also, the crap about CD being a message to Dylan and hoping he would hear it and understand Axl's side of the story is one of the most delusional things I've ever heard Axl say. Like what the hell, dude? The kid probably doesn't even remember you, you were just some guy his mom dated when he was a baby and even if he by some miracle came across CD and realized it was an album about his mom, then he's probably only going to be creeped out or something. He was raised his whole life by his mother and he probably loves her and if he knows or cares about Axl in any way at all, then Axl's probably just some asshole who was violent with his mom to him. Just... Axl :facepalm:

Street of Dreams- Hah! I can't say I'm convinced it's about Slash, but I really want it to be about Slash :P The "all the love in the world couldn't save you" line could very well be meant platonically. Like Axl himself even said that he loved Slash and that Slash was what was keeping him from making a new album and everything, so maybe that line just means that all the love Axl felt for Slash wasn't enough to keep him in the band or to keep him from leaving. The "feelings that I felt I saved for you and no one else" line is kinda gay in that context, I admit, but like @giuls said, it could refer to the special, intense relationship they shared. You know, all these nights staying up talking together and Axl vomiting his feelings all over Slash while Slash just sat there and listened. Or Axl's comment about Slash's playing meaning so much to him that he would sometimes just sit down on stage and listen to him. Also the whole line is "So now I wander through my days/And try to find my ways/To the feelings that I felt/I saved for you and no one else." Considering Axl's comments about how Slash is keeping him from making new music, because it's so hard to replace him, and how much his playing meant to him, that whole thing could be a reference to trying to find another guitar player who makes him feel like Slash does and would be a suitable replacement.

Also this line: "You know I tried so hard to make you / Oh, to make you change your mind" - to me this sounds like a reference to Axl trying really hard to convince Slash to stay in the band, which he did according to Slash. IIRC, Axl even called Slash's dad and asked him to make Slash change his mind :( Though we also know he tried really hard to get Erin back. Not sure about Steph, but it doesn't seem he tried all that hard with her.

And this: "I don't know just what I should do / Everywhere I go I see you" - Axl being confused about how to move forward with the band and being frustrated at Slash being omnipresent in the media etc. I mean he was the polar opposite of Axl; while Axl hid away, Slash was everywhere, constantly out and about and making a name for himself. If Axl meant this line literally (and not just in an "I'm imagining seeing his/her face everywhere I go" sense), then this would also point towards the song being about Slash, because Erin completely disappeared from the public and Stephanie was busy raising her kids and wasn't all that omnipresent anymore either.

And "What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" - self-explanatory. And I'm not even gonna go into that whole "Slash's soul left his body and now he's not the real wonderful Slash anymore, but a bad impostor" madness. It fits perfectly with that line, but I'm not sure if I want to believe Axl is (was) that crazy :lol::facepalm:

There's also this other point that the guy who is convinced SOD is about Slash (RussTCB maybe?) made, about SOD being originally called The Blues. Which would be a fitting title considering Slash is known for his blues-y playing and Axl said he loved that about him.

Shit, that turned into an essay :lol: But I have feelings about that subject. I still remember when I was younger (before Slash's book came out and before the ICP wrote about their experience with Slash) and I had noticed that a lot of the lyrics on Slash's first solo record seemed to be about Axl. I brought that up for discussion somewhere, but all I got was people saying things like "No way are these songs about Axl! That would be way too gay!" and "These songs are obviously about some chick!". Well, fast forward a few years and Slash himself admits that he wrote these songs about Axl (and the ICP story confirms this too) :rolleyes: So I say we should trust our instincts and nothing is impossible when it comes to these guys.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 4

Years ago there was a discussion on who TIL was about (Axl himself actually claimed it was inspired by "a composite of women") and IIRC the consensus back then was it was leaning more towards Erin. 

Remember, Axl was still pursuing Erin even while he was dating Steph (sending her caged bird and stuff). 

1 minute ago, SerenityScorp said:

Right now no, Do You save it? Maybe if it gots deleted I can ask Yours to send it by email :D

What's this video all about then ey? It must be pretty damning if they keep deleting it. Is it a sex tape or something? Is somebody shooting up heroin whilst snorting cocaine? I am intrigued by the implied sordidness of said video :rofl-lol:

12 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think it's been in the setlist for a lifetime now, haha. Probably ever since CD was released. I'm not sure if it was played in 2006 or 2001-2002 but it definitely was part of the setlist consistently since 2009 onwards.

Well, the simplest explanation for it is that he has kept it in the setlist all these years because he likes it and he is very connected with it. It's his most Queen influenced song, and we know he adores Queen.

8 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Also, the crap about CD being a message to Dylan and hoping he would hear it and understand Axl's side of the story is one of the most delusional things I've ever heard Axl say. Like what the hell, dude? The kid probably doesn't even remember you, you were just some guy his mom dated when he was a baby and even if he by some miracle came across CD and realized it was an album about his mom, then he's probably only going to be creeped out or something. He was raised his whole life by his mother and he probably loves her and if he knows or cares about Axl in any way at all, then Axl's probably just some asshole who was violent with his mom to him. Just... Axl :facepalm:

And here's my far-fetched theory. He sings it at almost every show hoping that Dylan will get it and maybe contact him. This would be pathetic, for sure. And yeah, :facepalm:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

What's this video all about then ey? It must be pretty damning if they keep deleting it. Is it a sex tape or something? Is somebody shooting up heroin whilst snorting cocaine? I am intrigued by the implied sordidness of said video :rofl-lol:

Nah its not something like tht

So what are the chances of Erin showing up at the Atlanta concert?  It wouldn't be unusual for her to go and see Meeghan and Slash.   But is Axl ok with her now or not?  She seems to choose to be positive about him now.  He's made a lot of strides, but I don't know about that. 

11 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

omg :rofl-lol: I too think all of that is sooooo pathetic hahahahaaha 

wht the fuck was he smoking when he said that? The kid doesn't give a fuck about him and yeah right, kid is gonna believe this random guy more than his own mother. He calls his mom Prostitute and what the kid is supposed to do? Believe Axl? :rofl-lol:

lol Axl forever :lol:

13 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Years ago there was a discussion on who TIL was about (Axl himself actually claimed it was inspired by "a composite of women") and IIRC the consensus back then was it was leaning more towards Erin. 

Remember, Axl was still pursuing Erin even while he was dating Steph (sending her caged bird and stuff). 

That's interesting. When did he say that?

There are other people who claim the song is about his mom. I guess that makes more sense to me because I refuse to think Axl could be so pathetic about a woman. Oh please God make TIL go away!!!! :violin:

Yes, Axl wanted to go back with Erin when he realized he was losing Seymour forever. Stephanie got pregnant of Brant and that must have made this guy go complete nuts because HE wanted that with her and it was the other guy who got it. 

Poor Erin, really, what a shit and crazy guy Axl is (was?). 

In the end he lost both of them beauties :facepalm: so maybe TIL is about the both of them, lol, just like what he wanted to have but couldn't get it.

@killuridols IIRC maybe it was from his chats? IDK.... that "composite of women" phrase had been quoted pretty much like a broken radio here on this forum. 

They were dissecting line after line of TIL and they came to a conclusion it was about Erin the most (among others). TWAT OTOH was obviously about Steph. 

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Poor Erin, really, what a shit and crazy guy Axl is (was?).

Yup.;):facepalm:

24 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Let's see...

Sorry- I agree with @killuridols on this one, I think this song is about various people who drag him down, but mostly Slash, the media, the fans, the music industry.

TIL- I can't decide between Erin and Steph (an argument could be made for either), but I'm leaning towards Steph, for all the reasons @killuridols mentioned. I've thought about that "She wouldn't say goodbye" line before and Slash's whining about Seymour ballads is a good point as well. Plus, I also vaguely remember what @Blackstar mentioned, about it being about Steph and Dylan. I don't remember where from, but it rings a bell. Actually, I think I'm gonna go with "It's about Stephanie" on that one. I hate the lyrics of TIL as well, because yeah, they're extremely corny, whiny, self-pitying and pathetic. I cringe every time I hear "I hoped she'd never leave, please God, you must believe me" etc. Waaaaahhh. Just terrible.

Street of Dreams- Hah! I can't say I'm convinced it's about Slash, but I really want it to be about Slash :P The "all the love in the world couldn't save you" line could very well be meant platonically. Like Axl himself even said that he loved Slash and that Slash was what was keeping him from making a new album and everything, so maybe that line just means that all the love Axl felt for Slash wasn't enough to keep him in the band or to keep him from leaving. The "feelings that I felt I saved for you and no one else" line is kinda gay in that context, I admit, but like @giuls said, it could refer to the special, intense relationship they shared. You know, all these nights staying up talking together and Axl vomiting his feelings all over Slash while Slash just sat there and listened. Or Axl's comment about Slash's playing meaning so much to him that he would sometimes just sit down on stage and listen to him. Also the whole line is "So now I wander through my days/And try to find my ways/To the feelings that I felt/I saved for you and no one else." Considering Axl's comments about how Slash is keeping him from making new music, because it's so hard to replace him, and how much his playing meant to him, that whole thing could be a reference to trying to find another guitar player who makes him feel like Slash does and would be a suitable replacement.

Also this line: "You know I tried so hard to make you / Oh, to make you change your mind" - to me this sounds like a reference to Axl trying really hard to convince Slash to stay in the band, which he did according to Slash. IIRC, Axl even called Slash's dad and asked him to make Slash change his mind :( Though we also know he tried really hard to get Erin back. Not sure about Steph, but it doesn't seem he tried all that hard with her.

And this: "I don't know just what I should do / Everywhere I go I see you" - Axl being confused about how to move forward with the band and being frustrated at Slash being omnipresent in the media etc. I mean he was the polar opposite of Axl; while Axl hid away, Slash was everywhere, constantly out and about and making a name for himself. If Axl meant this line literally (and not just in an "I'm imagining seeing his/her face everywhere I go" sense), then this would also point towards the song being about Slash, because Erin completely disappeared from the public and Stephanie was busy raising her kids and wasn't all that omnipresent anymore either.

And "What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" - self-explanatory. And I'm not even gonna go into that whole "Slash's soul left his body and now he's not the real wonderful Slash anymore, but a bad impostor" madness. It fits perfectly with that line, but I'm not sure if I want to believe Axl is (was) that crazy :lol::facepalm:

There's also this other point that the guy who is convinced SOD is about Slash (RussTCB maybe?) made, about SOD being originally called The Blues. Which would be a fitting title considering Slash is known for his blues-y playing and Axl said he loved that about him.

Shit, that turned into an essay :lol: But I have feelings about that subject. I still remember when I was younger (before Slash's book came out and before the ICP wrote about their experience with Slash) and I had noticed that a lot of the lyrics on Slash's first solo record seemed to be about Axl. I brought that up for discussion somewhere, but all I got was people saying things like "No way are these songs about Axl! That would be way too gay!" and "These songs are obviously about some chick!". Well, fast forward a few years and Slash himself admits that he wrote these songs about Axl (and the ICP story confirms this too) :rolleyes: So I say we should trust our instincts and nothing is impossible when it comes to these guys.

Yeah, we've talked about this before, but this is basically why I believe SOD is about Slash as well. Saved me the typing lol.

Still think TIL is about Erin though. 

Never heard that story before about Axl trying to get Slash's father to convince Slash to stay. :blink: That's... I was going to say pathetic, but I'm gonna go with sad.

I'm curious about the Atlanta show as well. Erin will probably be there again. And also Meegan probably will too and use the chance to hang out with Erin. Definitely has potential for drama.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, the simplest explanation for it is that he has kept it in the setlist all these years because he likes it and he is very connected with it. It's his most Queen influenced song, and we know he adores Queen.

And here's my far-fetched theory. He sings it at almost every show hoping that Dylan will get it and maybe contact him. This would be pathetic, for sure. And yeah, :facepalm:

Oh, lol! :lol:

jesus no please I really don't want to accept that Axl may be a total :crazy: but every time more it all leads to it :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Kira said:

So what are the chances of Erin showing up at the Atlanta concert?  It wouldn't be unusual for her to go and see Meeghan and Slash.   But is Axl ok with her now or not?  She seems to choose to be positive about him now.  He's made a lot of strides, but I don't know about that. 

I don't think she's gonna show up because that'd expose her too much and this is different than before. Now all media is alert about GNR, who comes back from the death to complete the reunion and who's not. Besides TB are acting like idiots lately, they could ask her to leave the venue or something in fear of having Axl freaking out.

No idea how Axl feels about her. I guess he should be grateful she seems to be cool about him, lol. And that YSMANL dedication in the ACDC show maybe is a hint that he is okay with her. I have no clue. Axl is so weird sometimes :wacko:

41 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

PFFT! I wish...I would sell my left kidney on the black market for a candid GNR video like that:rofl-lol:

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Let's see...

I want to know this also what songs?

I knew about Axl calling Izzy for 4 hours crying N' begs Him to not leaving the Band but I didnt know about Him called Slash Father :wacko:

Edited by SerenityScorp