Any regret about the HOF induction?

Axl got the Hof right. Like some guy said at the time, if they reunioned at Hof, hof would get credit and the money. And reunion first show blown as it was they 8 mil for Coachella or T Mob?

Edited by wasted
Corrections
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Legitimate scab perhaps.

I don't get the hate for Huge. Is this just people thinking they either have to hate him or love him due to their position in the Axl-Slash feud? It is childish, really.

He has writing creds for GN'R, great songs too, and did play four shows with the band. I have nothing but appreciation for him. What went down on the Sympathy recording is largely Axl's fault, I believe, and Slash's negative statements on Huge I take as colored by the ongoing conflict with Axl at the time. Besides, I refuse to be against someone just because someone else is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't get the hate for Huge. Is this just people thinking they either have to hate him or love him due to their position in the Axl-Slash feud? It is childish, really.

He has writing creds for GN'R, great songs too, and did play four shows with the band. I have nothing but appreciation for him. What went down on the Sympathy recording is largely Axl's fault, I believe, and Slash's negative statements on Huge I take as colored by the ongoing conflict with Axl at the time. Besides, I refuse to be against someone just because someone else is.

I wouldn't say I hate him, nor even dislike him. He is just pointless. Surplus to requirements. He played four shows and seemed to have his guitar turned off the entire time at Rio3, and then disappeared from sight. It is hard to hate someone so incidental, but it is also equally difficult to have any feelings of their worth also. Tobias is a footnote.

• Like 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Uhm ok. Let me rephrase the first sentence then to "I don't get the hate for Huge calling him a scab and saying he shafted the band".

Sorry, I meant Axl shafted the band, (through the imposition of Paul Tobias).

Analysing Tobias's tenure, why should I have any feelings of loyalty, admiration, affection - the goodwill which usually exists between artist and fan - for the figure of Paul Tobias? Firstly, I do not care for Chinese Democracy and see Nugnr as an aberration. Secondly, 'Sympathy' is a god awful cover of one of my favourite songs and this includes Paul's guitar overdubs. Thirdly, he played a mere four shows, one of which his guitar was mixed out. Fourthly, there are strong indicators that he led to the demise of Guns N' Roses. Fifthly, he had a hand in Sorum's sacking. Sixthly, he has not done anything since 2001 - no side projects, solo albums, etc - with which one could use to assess his quality as a songwriter and instrumentalist.

I'll credit him with co-writing 'Shadow of Your Love' which I quite like - a good rocker. So there exists one positive.

• Like 1

Wifey and I were there that night in Cleveland.

The building was completely ELECTRIC and BUZZING after that live performance.  The Red Hot Chili Peppers came on after GnR and they never stood a chance.  It was fucking fantastic.

Axl should regret it.  Izzy too.  Slash and Duff and Steven did the right thing that night.  A perfect mix of players onstage that KILLED IT.

I absolutely cannot stand the Rock Hall Foundation.  But that ceremony in Cleveland, across the street from the Rock Hall Museum, should have been about the fans.  The fans wanted it.

If the Appetite 5 had all shown up that night, the last few years would have been a blast.  

Oh well, 2016 is certainly a BLAST, HUH?!

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Also he wrote 4 rock masterpieces in IRS, Twat, Catcher and Prostitute.

And Back off Bitch. Timeless. 

If I was him I'd be like "I made rock history!"

2 hours ago, southsiderwp said:

As a native Clevelander, yes I was upset that GNR didn't fully reunite for the HOF.  There were grumblings that Axl was is in town ready to make a surprise at the show and when it didn't happen it sucked the wind out of my sails.

Axl said he saved the band. Axl don't lie.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Not quite that level of stinking from an English perspective. Are you waiting for the Blast York v Worcs match?

When is that? Is it raining again? Not sure who to support there. Worcestershire I suppose but boycott used live around and be like somekind of hero. Until he was done for wife beating. Kenn Dodd too and that jocket. All our heroes were born to lose. 

21 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

This is a pretty open-ended topic and can veer into many different avenues. Now that Axl and Slash are reunited and Axl has played with 3/4ths of the Appetite lineup, you'd have to assume that had the HOF induction happened in 2016 instead of 2012, everyone would be present and it'd go off in the proper way.

Axl's views of the HOF are well-documented -- he doesn't understand it's point, aside from being a for-profit business -- but most of his rejection stemmed from the uncomfortable position that would've arose for him and others had he gone. Well, that uncomfortable position wouldn't be there today.

So, a two-fold question:
1.) Do you think Axl regrets not showing up for the HOF induction in 2012? (If Dexter wants to chime in, more power to him)
2.) Do you wish the HOF induction would've been delayed UNTIL a reunion happened in order to get the proper moment for rock and GNR history?

(FYI, I know the rock hall wouldn't delay it and wait for a reunion on GNR's terms; half the reason for the induction was probably to entice a historic moment on their stage and money into their pockets)

1- I don't think axl has any regrets. Given the circumstances at the time it is what it is. Sorum said he tried to go at the last minute and all hell broke out between the lawyers and what not but it would have been better if they waited a couple of years.

2- It would be awesome if they did it now because apparently 6 out of 7 would show up, the only one not attending would be izzy. 

10 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Dizzy, but not Gilby. 

Dizzy was on the illusion records. The HOF is a really screwy thing because for GNR they chose to induct the appetite and illusions eras of the band. Gilby was only on spaghetti which was a cover record. At that point a can of worms could have been opened. So by that logic then bucket, huge, finck, bumble, Fortus, Stinson, brain, and pitman should have been inducted as well. But then again the chili peppers inducted like 30 people and no one cares beyond kiedis flea Chad smith Slovak and frusciante. Trujillo went in with Metallica. It's a no win debate.

It just would have been out of hand and that establishment is already a mess. Realistically, the 7 people they put in were the real GNR. And dizzy is the man 

Edited by Billsfan

32 minutes ago, trev said:

How pathetic was it having the 3 nerdy dorks from green day inducting pseudo guns n roses?  Fuck that whole "wish we were guns n roses" induction...

+1

That was indeed gross.

I'm glad the HOF went the way it did. It led to this version of reality. Also, I don't think that Axl would have been happy with a HOF induced rapprochement that everyone was hoping/angling for at the time. Once that monkey was off his back, he probably could have settled down to find the mental peace/space to allow himself to make peace on his own terms. Which he did.

Edited by The Archer

6 minutes ago, The Archer said:

+1

That was indeed gross.

I'm glad the HOF went the way it did. It led to this version of reality. Also, I don't think that Axl would have been happy with a HOF induced rapprochement that everyone was hoping/angling for at the time. Once that monkey was off his back, he probably could have settled down to find the mental peace/space to allow himself to make peace on his own terms. Which he did.

There was no need to slight Dizzy like that.  I'd knock those 3 little shits' teeth out the next time I saw them if I was Dizzy.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trev said:

There was no need to slight Dizzy like that.  I'd knock those 3 little shits' teeth out the next time I saw them if I was Dizzy.  

Ha! I was actually thinking that Axl would probably want to punch Billy Joel in the face when he started with the 'You're fuckin' crazy'.