Any regret about the HOF induction?

On 6/5/2016 at 11:42 AM, Archtop said:

As mentioned AC/DC pulled it off with the acceptance of Johnson, perhaps this was mainly down to the combind front of brothers Young which kept the equilibrium. Would the other GnR members had the same pulled it off if Axl had walked? It's an interesting one.

AC/DC worked because the replacement happened in different circumstances — death (Queen fans generally accept post-Freddie as Queen, just not as good as it was with him) — and also happened long enough ago where the world was still welcoming of new rock 'n' roll. And that's no different, as people compare AC/DC with Johnson to it with Scott.'

If that change happened today — or within the last 10-15 years — people would ignore it much more than welcome it. People are generally negative/suspicious about change, and they're more likely to snub their noses and cast something new aside without offering an open mind. Look at the Axl/DC stuff. Most fans said "fuck that" the second it was announced. Some fans have come around, sure, but there are many more who refuse to give it a chance. That mentality seems way more prevalent today than, say, the 1980s or 1970s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rd Wheel said:

AC/DC worked because the replacement happened in different circumstances — death (Queen fans generally accept post-Freddie as Queen, just not as good as it was with him) — and also happened long enough ago where the world was still welcoming of new rock 'n' roll. And that's no different, as people compare AC/DC with Johnson to it with Scott.'

If that change happened today — or within the last 10-15 years — people would ignore it much more than welcome it. People are generally negative/suspicious about change, and they're more likely to snub their noses and cast something new aside without offering an open mind. Look at the Axl/DC stuff. Most fans said "fuck that" the second it was announced. Some fans have come around, sure, but there are many more who refuse to give it a chance. That mentality seems way more prevalent today than, say, the 1980s or 1970s.

Shit man, I can't even wrap my head around someone refusing to acknowledge the merits of this AC/DC venture. I mean I may be a little biased, but Axl is really kicking ass and taking names on this jaunt.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:50 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Neil Young has always been a big supporter of the Hall, taking his own induction as a great honour and appearing with others (e.g. Led Zeppelin).

He also inducted Hendrix, Tom Waits, and the Pretenders. I believe he's also been inducted as a member of the Springfield and CSNY. I do remember him disregarding an induction and refusing to attend for one of those though. I think it was also regarding the prices to attend and the various fees associated with the induction. I know he has been critical of the RRHOF in the past. A lot of artists have been, particularly the fact that the Hall claims to be a nonprofit organization yet charges what amounts to very exorbitant membership dues. The fact that its managed by the owner of Rolling Stone just conflates that perception. They just hide the fees in plates of costly dinners. I find it akin to the way corporations pay public figures ghastly figures of money for speeches in order to curry political favor. I think artists like Neil (and others) just do these things now, because of the horrid state of the industry and rock n roll as a format. Despite their problems and reservations about the hall and Jann Wenner they know its more important for someone to get out there and wave the flag for a fast-fading art form.

I always loved that letter Lydon wrote the RRHOF. It was the first thing I thought of when Axl penned his. There's a place for the eternal outlaw.

Edited by Mr. Dude
Addendum

2 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

Its also a little different though. AC/DC lost THREE people (two of them key members) in 3 years. There's that, and there's just the fact that they are older, they are successful. They could have hung it up and it would be respectful. Thats different than Queen debating it after Freddie. They were younger. AC/DC's been going on for 40 years, so I think the general consensus after the 3 lost members was "just end the band already." Its different than one guy leaving and being replaced, especially if it wasn't to death. Iron Maiden were still young when they lost Bruce, same with Judas Priest. Now that they are back, if they left again, most would say the same as what happened with AC/DC, where they would chalk it up to "its been a nice run, but let's end it".

15 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

I always loved that letter Lydon wrote the RRHOF. It was the first thing I thought of when Axl penned his. There's a place for the eternal outlaw.

Eh. While I don't applaud Lydon's letter, I find it more genuine, and no one showed up. With Axl, yes he has a point, but that wasn't really the reason he didn't show. He wasn't gonna stand on stage with Slash and honor a band that defuncts the one he was currently promoting. Its not like he doesn't show up to awards ceremonies. He did the much smaller, and much more embarrassing, Golden Gods Awards cause they were honoring HIM and let his new band play. Thats why he showed. So while Axl's sentiments were right, let's not pretend he's this "eternal outlaw" that never plays by the rules. He didn't show cause Slash was there and they wouldn't have allowed NuGuns to play. Lydon, for better or for worse, probably meant it when he said what he did. Axl did, but under the right circumstances he would have showed. He'd have showed today.

On 6/5/2016 at 2:50 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Neil Young has always been a big supporter of the Hall, taking his own induction as a great honour and appearing with others (e.g. Led Zeppelin).

As he should have. Back then in the 90s it was still pretty respectable. It was an "honor". It isn't nowadays, but having said that I'll be shocked if he doesn't induct Pearl Jam next year. For the right artists, it's still an appropriate honor.