GNR / FOOS past and future

I seem to remember there being some animosity between guns and Foos over the years unless I was imagining things. It started with Nirvava. However I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that Slash and Dave became friends. Think their kids went to school together or something. Dave played drums one of Slash's albums. Slash actually wanted Dave to sing but he would only do drums. And Slash made nice comments when the Foos released that last album Sonic Highways. 

However at some point Axl and Dave must have patched things up as well. Dave offered him the throne unless Slash reached out to Dave.  Also during that China exchange didn't Axl say something to the effect that he always wanted to work with Dave? You go back and listen to it when they asked about the chair in the very beginning I thought he said he always wanted to work with Dave.  And then he said something about Dave actually attending one of the shows. Maybe I heard wrong idk. If I heard wrong my bad for even bringing this up.

With this in mind two questions come up:

1) Was there ever really a feud? 

2)  Would foos and guns ever collaborate? Didn't Axl say he wanted to work with foos/Dave? Yes the bands are very different however it would be interesting to hear  both vocals on the same song mixed in with Dave's drums, Slash's guitar even Dave's rhythm guitar. At first glance I'm thinking no way the bands sound too different. However I recently saw on YouTube that free falling gig at the video music awards with Axl and Tom Petty back in 89 and started thinking hmmmm.

You guys probably think I'm ridiculous because I had a previous post in here about guns and acdc collaborating. i'm sure other people out there think of how certain bands would sound together and most of it is just fantasy. Anyway I was hoping to hear your opinions and thoughts of a previous feud if there was one and now a hopeful but not likely collaboration with these two bands. Mods my apologies if I should have divided this into two different posts since it's too different topics; a feud vs a collaboration 

Lastly would they tour together? Another dream I guess.

Anyone have anything they want to add to this? Most of you will say a collaboration will never happen and it probably won't but it would be interesting...

Edited by jerry

It always seemed that Kurt's comments really got to Axl. But then I came across one quote a while back, and I'd forgotten just how hateful Kurt was towards Guns/Axl. Dave took a few shots as well, but Kurt really spearheaded that divide.

They're all older, and the mainstream rock world is shrinking. Might as well patch it up, and do something together.

I'm not a fan of the Foos though, so I don't really care either way. It would maybe help Axl, because there are Nirvana/Alternative/Foo fans who still hate on him because of that feud.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Here's a nice recap of the feud with Nirvana (and hence Dave): http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guns-n-roses-vs-nirvana-a-beef-history-20160411?page=2

thanks for the link! I was wondering what went on behind the scenes, other than what was mentioned in that article, as far as Slash and Axl patching things up with Dave. But that article does give a nice breakdown / time line of the feud!

What they forgot about was when Dave sarcastically thanked GNR back in 2004 I believe at the Rock in rio. He said something to the effect of "thanks to the assholes in GNR for cancelling so we could be here". Anybody remember this better than me? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sincere thank you. 

Dave was a big AFD fan and didn't like UYI, but as much rivalry and bitching goes on, the musician community does come together from time to time to help each other out. People go see KISS even if they can't stand Gene Simmons (although Duff seemed to have fun with Gene). 

The so called GnR-Nirvana feud was very saddening for me back then, because I liked both bands. There is more fiction than reality circulating about it in forums and yt comments, originating mostly from Nirvana fans. I've read implausible things, like that Axl hated Nirvana and Kurt, that the fan he had thrown out at RiR 2001 was wearing a Nirvana t-shirt, that he'd made disrespectful comments when Kurt died, even that he was a suspect for Kurt's death...

Axl liked Nirvana so much that he came near to humiliate himself (he can put his ego aside when he admires someone, up to a point of course), while Kurt kept on shitting on him and GnR. Kurt just didn't want Axl to like him; the two of them were much alike regarding personality and background, and Kurt hated this.

Here's an insightful and fair (which is rare) article: http://www.avclub.com/article/part-2-1991-whats-so-civil-about-war-anyway-46507

Axl wanted to work with Dave for a project in 1994 and he probably made another attempt in the early CD era. It was one of the cases that Axl had dreams of working with musicians that didn't like him.

I think Slash wasn't much of a Nirvana fan, at least not as much as Axl; He's said Axl was dragging him to Nirvana concerts. He liked the Foo Fighters, though, maybe because Dave has more traditional hard rock influences.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

What they forgot about was when Dave sarcastically thanked GNR back in 2004 I believe at the Rock in rio. He said something to the effect of "thanks to the assholes in GNR for cancelling so we could be here". Anybody remember this better than me? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sincere thank you. 

Another part of the pissing match that I forgot about is the mtv 20 years buzz worthy moments special. It featured all the videos that made mtv popular. The ones that went the most in depth was the VanHalen, GNR, and Nirvana. It had Dave grohl and his drummer on there talking about head bangers ball. They said something about something making you sick, then said its the same feeling you get when you watch a GNR video. It was very prickish.

Also, in 2006, Axl kicked the Eagles of death metal off the tour, after just one show. I was there in Cleveland that night. He called them the  pigeons of shit metal. Axl and Tommy Stinson were clearly not getting along at night. I later heard Axl kicked them off the tour because of their affiliation with Dave and Tommy was upset about it. 

With all that being said, I was very shocked that Dave gave Axl the throne and that Axl praised him so much for it. 

I guess everybody grows up eventually. 

Edited by mikeman5150
Needed to add something

13 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Also, in 2006, Axl kicked the Eagles of death metal off the tour, after just one show. I was there in Cleveland that night. He called them the  pigeons of shit metal. Axl and Tommy Stinson were clearly not getting along at night. I later heard Axl kicked them off the tour because of their affiliation with Dave and Tommy was upset about it. 

With all that being said, I was very shocked that Dave gave Axl the throne and that Axl praised him so much for it. 

I guess everybody grows up eventually. 

The EoDM incident was unusual, even for Axl. Axl had never done anything like that before. I don't think it had to do with Dave Grohl; he wouldn't kick an opening act off the tour for that. It must have been something else behind it, maybe he heard EoDM badmouthed him.

Seriously, who gives a shit? Dave Grohl is a fine musician, and The Foo Fighters are not brilliant, but a fine rock band, but I'm getting tired of seeing Dave Grohl pop up EVERYWHERE... there hasn't been a music documentary in the last ten years where Dave wasn't a talking head, and he plays on almost every record that came out since 2000. He even played the Oscars this year for christ's sake. Let him focus on his own band, maybe the Foos will actually come up with a relevant album one of these days.

Edited by EvanG