Izzy Stradlin' Rolling Stone Interview 1992 -- On Quitting Guns N' Roses

On 7/6/2016 at 6:32 PM, RONIN said:

"I expressed my feeling to Axl," he continues, "and the very next night on MTV I saw that I was going to be replaced by the guy in Jane's Addiction. So I took that as an indication that I'd really pissed him off." 

Does anyone here know what Izzy's last interview was? 

I don't think Izzy was cut out to be in a band that big, with stadiums and multi-year tours and $500,000 music videos. Especially not sober. He was also more serious about getting/staying sober than the other's and was willing to do what he needed to do in order to accomplish that.

I just think they all had their own things going on. If Izzy wanted to address start times, Duff and Slash might agree, but Axl won't. If Izzy wanted to address sobriety, Axl might agree, but Slash and Duff wouldn't. 

• Like 1

I read in Duff's book that the first time Izzy left was to go to rehab.

Then during the UYI tour when the other guys were very bad with drugs and Axl started to come on very late or not show up at all, Izzy didn't feel it was fair to the fans, so after the tour he permanently quit.

I honestly don't think Duff would lie about this unless he doesn't remember it correctly. It was a bad time for Duff as well as Slash and Axl too.

Whatever the reason, it was Izzy's decision and he will always be missed from GNR.

Sometimes to get well and stay well you have to move on and do what's best for you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I read in Duff's book that the first time Izzy left was to go to rehab.

Then during the UYI tour when the other guys were very bad with drugs and Axl started to come on very late or not show up at all, Izzy didn't feel it was fair to the fans, so after the tour he permanently quit.

I honestly don't think Duff would lie about this unless he doesn't remember it correctly. It was a bad time for Duff as well as Slash and Axl too.

Whatever the reason, it was Izzy's decision and he will always be missed from GNR.

Sometimes to get well and stay well you have to move on and do what's best for you.

Izzy seemed pretty serious about being sober. He even stopped travelling with the band to avoid the temptations. Having to sit around for hours with the rest of the band drunk and stoned out of their minds was probably tough for him to handle. As much as they complain about it, Slash and Duff had their vices to make a couple of hours waiting for Axl go by. Izzy didn't and was actively trying to avoid them. He pretty much wanted to go on stage on time and go home 25 years before everyone else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

I was reading through this  interview recently. I hope Izzy feels the desire to experience the connection  with a rock and roll audience again soon!

the part about Axl going through a notepad bringing up old shit Izzy said over the phone always cracks me up 

I can just imagine Axl sitting at a desk in his house with a little table lamp on, wearing glasses, licking his finger as he flipped through pages of the notepad saying "but you said 1984..."

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

the part about Axl going through a notepad bringing up old shit Izzy said over the phone always cracks me up 

I can just imagine Axl sitting at a desk in his house with a little table lamp on, wearing glasses, licking his finger as he flipped through pages of the notepad saying "but you said 1984..."

Haha...don't forget Axl adjusting his desk chair and clearing his throat before laying some hard "truth" on Izzy. Sad...

• Like 2