The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

why would all the hams be gone? maybe you could do a leg of lamb? depends on the number of people you're feeding.i envy you those fresh veggies you canned. i highly recommend the late Laurie Colwin's cookbooks...Home Cooking and More Home cooking. She was ( and still is ) so inspirational :)

or do you mean a dessert? maybe a fruit tart with a fresh custard and strawberries and other in season fruit? and a shiny glaze :)

a dessert like that would be highly aspirational for me!  Maybe I can just provide berries to a guest ahed of time and they make something haha

Leg of lamb is definley more holiday like isn't it?  Yeah, thats the front runner.  

Just a few people, plus often a stray :) 

• Like 1

when i lived close enough to the bay area they had them every spring and they are heavenly! have you ever tried them? they are so good i find myself making myself stop from eating them raw from the pods! and they have fresh local honey...mmmmmm!

cannot wait to get the peas climbing in the garden!!  so much better!  I grow them knowing they'll only ever be to snack on while gardening.  Too good to keep!

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

cannot wait to get the peas climbing in the garden!!  so much better!  I grow them knowing they'll only ever be to snack on while gardening.  Too good to keep!

you're great! my boss when i was in produce sales said she could not tell the difference between fresh peas and frozen...i was thinking uhhhhh do you even have taste buds??? :P

and your grow your own? that is fantastic!

• Like 1

you're great! my boss when i was in produce sales said she could not tell the difference between fresh peas and frozen...i was thinking uhhhhh do you even have taste buds??? :P

and your grow your own? that is fantastic!

your boss was in the wrong profession!  so different!  

Pasta primavera soon!  

I grow just bit of peas, people nearby have a serious operation - its really something to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

your boss was in the wrong profession!  so different!  

Pasta primavera soon!  

I grow just bit of peas, people nearby have a serious operation - its really something to see.

oh yes pasta primavera...molto bene!

also love doing a fresh veggies stir fry this time of year :D

would love to see their operation!

• Like 1

On April 10, 2017 at 0:21 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh yes pasta primavera...molto bene!

also love doing a fresh veggies stir fry this time of year :D

would love to see their operation!

Do you speak a few languages?  Ive seen you use phrases from a few, thats really cool!  I leaned something.

I will take some pics when the season is underway.  Some of their kids are off to University but I dont see them scaling it back.

Day after snow melted from garden, already mint, chives, chamomile, garlic, catnip, strawberry, thyme, sage, st johns wort showing new green.  Wont be long now till fresh veggie stir fry bliss!

2 hours ago, soon said:

Do you speak a few languages?  Ive seen you use phrases from a few, thats really cool!  I leaned something.

I will take some pics when the season is underway.  Some of their kids are off to University but I dont see them scaling it back.

Day after snow melted from garden, already mint, chives, chamomile, garlic, catnip, strawberry, thyme, sage, st johns wort showing new green.  Wont be long now till fresh veggie stir fry bliss!

no i speak English. know a smattering of Spanish. some cooking terms in French. just a little bit here and there of other languages. my best friend from high school is extremley fluent in Spanish, she translate documents. she married a Spaniard, they lived in Ecuador many years but just recently moved to Portugal.

do you speak different languages? ( betting you do :) )

yes please whenever your season is in swing, love to see pics!

my cat would love your catnip! she has a "problem" kinda a catnip junkie! :lol: you may feel free to give me any excess strawberries! oh and throw in some thyme ;)

mmmmmm love veggie stir fry!

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

no i speak English. know a smattering of Spanish. some cooking terms in French. just a little bit here and there of other languages. my best friend from high school is extremley fluent in Spanish, she translate documents. she married a Spaniard, they lived in Ecuador many years but just recently moved to Portugal.

do you speak different languages? ( betting you do :) )

yes please whenever your season is in swing, love to see pics!

my cat would love your catnip! she has a "problem" kinda a catnip junkie! :lol: you may feel free to give me any excess strawberries! oh and throw in some thyme ;)

mmmmmm love veggie stir fry!

No, I dont speak any language other then English.  Im impressed with your range!  I live near a dense asian population, a dense Italian population, in a bi-lingual country and on unneeded Indigenous land - basically Im a jerk for being uni-lingual.  I try though.  Its cool that you know bit and pieces!

I wouldn't forget the thyme in your garden share, c'mon!  "Excess strawberries" is a term that I know not :) 

My kitten has never had catnip, but one day just went crazy on the jar I have it in from last season, its incredible how they're instinctually attracted to it!!!!  I make bug spray and sleepy tea out of it, will need to ramp up produciorn for our furry lil fiends this year.

Baamaapii 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

No, I dont speak any language other then English.  Im impressed with your range!  I live near a dense asian population, a dense Italian population, in a bi-lingual country and on unneeded Indigenous land - basically Im a jerk for being uni-lingual.  I try though.  Its cool that you know bit and pieces!

I wouldn't forget the thyme in your garden share, c'mon!  "Excess strawberries" is a term that I know not :) 

My kitten has never had catnip, but one day just went crazy on the jar I have it in from last season, its incredible how they're instinctually attracted to it!!!!  I make bug spray and sleepy tea out of it, will need to ramp up produciorn for our furry lil fiends this year.

Baamaapii 

are you ojibwe? :)

Made a lobster fettuccine alfredo with left over Red Lobster lobster (a popular sit down seafood restaurant chain in NA and I dont know where else.  Loved by me as much for butter as lobster.  For me going there is a rare treat).

I started making homemade noodles.  During the first dough rest I prepared all my sauce ingredients.  

Cream, Chicken broth, white cheddar, salt, pepper, nutmeg, prepared yellow mustard, butter, flour.

I experimented and added a bit of ground ginger.  It was a success and I will sneak it in from now on.

Then rolled the dough and hung it to dry.

I peeled and crushed a garlic clove and added it, along with chopped scallion, to pan with basil infused olive oil.  Let it sweat and then removed solids.

Did my roux, added all the other stuff except cheese in order.  Cut the noodles and put them right into the simmering sauce.

The Red Lobster butter had solidified on the base of the take out container.  Get it all in the pan!

Chopped the lobster meat.  Added cheese. Noodles were done.  Folded in lobster.  Removed from heat.

Topped with cracked black pepper, grated parm, parsley sprig and some scallion.

I suppose I could've put some vegetables in :) Broccoli would've worked nicely.

• Like 1

mmmmm sounds yummy! we have Red Lobster ere too but i got this recipe from the chef of an upscale restaurant dow where i used to live. it's called lobster pasta and one night he say me eating there and asked hoe everthing was and i said delicious but that lobster pasta wold have been better! he actually told me if i ever came in and he was there just to ask and he'd make it for me special :wub:

this is to DIE for :P

ingredients

2/3 cup chopped lobster meat
2 ounces melted butter
8 ounces heavy cream
2 teaspoons garlic
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons chives
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 ounces pasta

directions

Ladle butter into heated pan. Add lobster meat, saute until lobster meat turns white. Add the cream and garlic, lower the heat and stir with rubber spatula. Add grated Parmesan and chives and stir until Parmesan is melted. 

Sprinkle over top of the sauce and stir in. Add pasta and saute until light in color. Serve hot in a 12 ounce rarebit. 

Top with 2 tablespoons of chives.

try it...you will not be disappointedit :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

mmmmm sounds yummy! we have Red Lobster ere too but i got this recipe from the chef of an upscale restaurant dow where i used to live. it's called lobster pasta and one night he say me eating there and asked hoe everthing was and i said delicious but that lobster pasta wold have been better! he actually told me if i ever came in and he was there just to ask and he'd make it for me special :wub:

this is to DIE for :P

ingredients

2/3 cup chopped lobster meat
2 ounces melted butter
8 ounces heavy cream
2 teaspoons garlic
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons chives
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 ounces pasta

directions

Ladle butter into heated pan. Add lobster meat, saute until lobster meat turns white. Add the cream and garlic, lower the heat and stir with rubber spatula. Add grated Parmesan and chives and stir until Parmesan is melted. 

Sprinkle over top of the sauce and stir in. Add pasta and saute until light in color. Serve hot in a 12 ounce rarebit. 

Top with 2 tablespoons of chives.

try it...you will not be disappointedit :D

you had me at "ladle butter"

• Like 1

I made a buffalo chicken dip last night. Works really well as game food or as an appetizer. Goes amazing with ripple chips or tostitos. Add as much hot sauce and ranch as you want, as tastes vary.

Ingredients:

Hot sauce 

Ranch

1 block of cream cheese

Diced chicken breast (cooked beforehand)

1/4 cup of milk

Chopped green onions (optional)

Put a block of cream cheese into a saucepan and use a whisk to break it down as it heats up, then add the milk when the block is mostly broken down. Whisk milk/cream cheese while adding hot sauce and ranch. Let sit for 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Stir in diced chicken breast. Remove from heat, cover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I made a buffalo chicken dip last night. Works really well as game food or as an appetizer. Goes amazing with ripple chips or tostitos. Add as much hot sauce and ranch as you want, as tastes vary.

Ingredients:

Hot sauce 

Ranch

1 block of cream cheese

Diced chicken breast (cooked beforehand)

1/4 cup of milk

Chopped green onions (optional)

Put a block of cream cheese into a saucepan and use a whisk to break it down as it heats up, then add the milk when the block is mostly broken down. Whisk milk/cream cheese while adding hot sauce and ranch. Let sit for 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Stir in diced chicken breast. Remove from heat, cover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

yes please! :drool:

• Like 1

I love a tuna sandwich in the warmer months.  But for a variety of reasons I dont think I should eat it as frequently as I crave it.  This mock tuna is a good enough substitute for me.  

(I usually leave out the tomatoes)

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 9:55 AM, soon said:

I love a tuna sandwich in the warmer months.  But for a variety of reasons I dont think I should eat it as frequently as I crave it.  This mock tuna is a good enough substitute for me.  

(I usually leave out the tomatoes)

cool! in the summer i also go through a phase of craving tuna. i will have to try this! how was your Easter? what did you make? i could not find fresh peas but i found some wonderful fresh asparagus :) 

working on the pecan pie made with pure maple syrup instead of karo syrup. i think i found one ut since most pecan pies don't have top crusts the glaze is going to be the challenge. unless using butter pecan ice cream counts??

one year i made a regular pecan pie but i paired it with dulce de leche ice cream and it was so good my guests just gobbled it up :P

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

29 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

cool! in the summer i also go through a phase of craving tuna. i will have to try this! how was your Easter? what did you make? i could not find fresh peas but i found some wonderful fresh asparagus :) 

working on the pecan pie made with pure maple syrup instead of karo syrup. i think i found one ut since most pecan pies don't have top crusts the glaze is going to be the challenge. unless using butter pecan ice cream counts??

one year i made a regular pecan pie but i paired it with dulce de leche ice cream and it was so good my guests just gobbled it up :P

Fresh asparagus is delicious as well. And then the res of dish was the same?  Hope the peas come soon.  

I ended up making a dill and mustard béchamel sauce tossed in home made fettuccine (kinda on a homemade pasta and white/cheese sauce bent).  I laid roasted, herbed cherry tomatoes and a butter basted Salmon fillet over the noodles.  Served salad wth main and on plate; bitter greens in a balsamic vinaigrette with red onion and maple candied walnuts.  Had to have some maple :) 

Im excited to hear about t your maple pecan pie!!!  Oh, this right though, the top is a challenge.  Ice cream not only counts here but as a food group :lol:

That sounds delicious, Im not surprised they googled it up!

Easter was just fine, how about yours? 

glad yours was nice! sounds yummy.

mine went well, the food was well received. instead of a coconut cake ( i wasn't even going to try a 7 minute frosting with the humidity in the air! we had some rain yesterday. ) instead i made like a shortbread kind of crust with a cream cheese layer topped with a lemon curd and fresh whipped cream on the top! everything else was the same.

yes i love this time of year and can't wait to do a pasta primavera with FRESH peas lol! you make your own pasta? how cool!

oh and i had Easter Baskets for all. the hands down winner was a chocolate bunny with sea salt caramel filling...soooo yummy :D 

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I don't know if you're still looking for a good recipe for pecan pie or not but I've been making this one for years it's pretty guaranteed to get you a few marriage proposals. 

• 1 pie crust (enough for the bottom of the pan only, don't cover the pie, store bought works fine)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (you can leave them whole if you want but for some reason I've convinced myself that they taste better chopped. I could be crazy though. :P)
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup corn syrup (Karo)
  • 1/3 cup melted slated butter
  • 3 beaten eggs

Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, vanilla, corn syrup, butter and eggs together in a bowl. Place your pie crust down into your baking dish. Don't bake the pie crust before hand just plop the sucker in there raw. Next put your pecans on top of the pie crust. Then pour the butter,sugar,salt,vanilla,syrup mixture on top of the pecans. Don't stir them at all, they'll float to the top as the pie is cooking. Cover the pie with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 min then pull off the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. Basically you want the pie to not be super jiggly. If it still seems like liquid when you're pulling it out of the oven it's not done yet. It should feel like jello almost if that makes sense. Also keep an eye on your pecans so they don't burn. If they get too dark before it's done put the foil back on.

Hope that helps. It sounds complicated but it's pretty fool proof. My family forces me to make so many of these during the holidays I feel like I could make it in my sleep now.  :lol:

WeBXnLb.jpg

Edited by Kris_1989
Added a pic

i grew up with my grandma's pecan pie recipe....she had a HUGE pcan tree in her front yard! yours sound delicious. what i was going for is a pie using real maple syrup instead of Karo because @soon and i were talking about used for maple and butter :P

and i always use whole pecans. my grandma did so i assumed that was the right way ;) i tend to throw in extra pecans til i realized that too many pecans and you don't get that wonderful gooey filling :drool:

yours sounds really really delicious, i will have to give it a try. thanks! :) 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i grew up with my grandma's pecan pie recipe....she had a HUGE pcan tree in her front yard! yours sound delicious. what i was going for is a pie using real maple syrup instead of Karo because Soon and i were talking about used for maple and butter :P

and i always use whole pecans. my grandma did so i assumed that was the right way ;) i tend to throw in extra pecans til i realized that too many pecans and you don't get that wonderful gooey filling :drool:

yours sounds really really delicious, i will have to give it a try. thanks! :) 

Oh ok, my mistake. Sorry :lol: