The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

7 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

That is an extremely hard thing to do. Good for you! I'm trying to lower my carbs too. Its even in fruit. Stupid carbs! :P

i just found out that potatoes are lower in cards than bread. i have been laying off the bread big time ( it goes bad super fast here...the high altitude maybe? ) and you can sub cool things for bread. like lettuce cups instead of bread with some chicken salad made with boneless/skinless chicken breasts, some fat free or low fat mayo and some kind of nuts or seeds mixed in. whatever you like in a chicken salad :)

summer is a lot easier for me....salad salad salad! ;)

34 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

That is an extremely hard thing to do. Good for you! I'm trying to lower my carbs too. Its even in fruit. Stupid carbs! :P

Not actually that hard. Theres bacon, steaks, nuts, cheeses. Chick peas or cannelini with bacon, parmesan. Tobasco, jalepenos, black olives, some of this stuff has carbs I guess but not that pasta carb which the body burns. Don't like much fruit really. Lemons are cool. Lime in the humidity. I just bought thing of lemon juice. Sweetens up stuff like soda water. 

I still fuck up now and then. But I've cut down obvious carbs. You know a sixer of guinness and pizza every night is unnecessay. I just like salt, so gin and soda is fine really. The doctor will see a rise in blood pressure for sure but I'm losing 1kg a week without trying. 

It's just hassle to do it and not just east restaurant food. It's weird cos when I look at the menus I see no value, it's just piles of cheap rice or pasta with some scabby piece of meat and some sugary sauce. 

Mainly it's just more expensive. But maybe just go eggs, chicken (thighs seem more alluring), tuna, salad. Mayo is carb but it's not the burning carb. I have found my scientology. The Carb Theory Cult. First rule of carb club, no carbs bitch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

Not actually that hard. Theres bacon, steaks, nuts, cheeses. Chick peas or cannelini with bacon, parmesan. Tobasco, jalepenos, black olives, some of this stuff has carbs I guess but not that pasta carb which the body burns. Don't like much fruit really. Lemons are cool. Lime in the humidity. I just bought thing of lemon juice. Sweetens up stuff like soda water. 

I still fuck up now and then. But I've cut down obvious carbs. You know a sixer of guinness and pizza every night is unnecessay. I just like salt, so gin and soda is fine really. The doctor will see a rise in blood pressure for sure but I'm losing 1kg a week without trying. 

It's just hassle to do it and not just east restaurant food. It's weird cos when I look at the menus I see no value, it's just piles of cheap rice or pasta with some scabby piece of meat and some sugary sauce. 

Mainly it's just more expensive. But maybe just go eggs, chicken (thighs seem more alluring), tuna, salad. Mayo is carb but it's not the burning carb. I have found my scientology. The Carb Theory Cult. First rule of carb club, no carbs bitch. 

True....it's hard for me though cause I can't eat red meat (allergic) don't like cheese and eat eggs on a very limited basis. As far as that carb cult...guess I am breaking the cardinal rule. Bitch, bitch, bitch! :lol:

I do chicken though, fish and lots of broccoli, cauliflower, zuchinni, salads, some fruit, nuts, legumes in small quantities and moderate carbs once a day like a sweet potato. Just lightening up the carb load a tad cause I was going way overboard....

2 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

True....it's hard for me though cause I can't eat red meat (allergic) don't like cheese and eat eggs on a very limited basis. As far as that carb cult...guess I am breaking the cardinal rule. Bitch, bitch, bitch! :lol:

I do chicken though, fish and lots of broccoli, cauliflower, zuchinni, salads, some fruit, nuts, legumes in small quantities and moderate carbs once a day like a sweet potato. Just lightening up the carb load a tad cause I was going way overboard....

Yeah you sound fine. I need to find a religion to stop me eating a box of cereal for breakfast, then a pasta/noodles for lunch, cookies, dinner pizza and beer. Also Cokes or soda. So now coke zero, Pepsi Max as it's a new day!

I've tried not eating, that works for limited time. But avoiding carbs seems okay. I didn't really know. I mean I knew I just didn't believe. 

I've just got they tricks. No pizza but I eat a pack of pepperoni like a mothefucker. 

Also, Cheese: Pepper Jack might qualify as a class A drug. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, wasted said:

meat is fine but stay way from fatty cuts. rib eyes are delicious but that's mainly due in part to the marbling of fat they have. i agree chicken thighs are more flavorful but get rid of the skin! they actually sell boneless skinless chicken thighs but if you can't find them just skin them yourself, which is actually better cos meat tastes better on the bone.

many chefs told me the reason food tastes better in restaurants ( well, the better ones, and not healthy ones :P.) the secret? butter! tons and ton of it.

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

meat is fine but stay way from fatty cuts. rib eyes are delicious but that's mainly due in part to the marbling of fat they have. i agree chicken thighs are more flavorful but get rid of the skin! they actually sell boneless skinless chicken thighs but if you can't find them just skin them yourself, which is actually better cos meat tastes better on the bone.

many chefs told me the reason food tastes better in restaurants ( well, the better ones, and not healthy ones :P.) the secret? butter! tons and ton of it.

And salt, msg. I live in Japantown so lean steak is everywhere. And packs of deskinned chicken thighs cos that's how they make those fried chicken balls. 

But I read animal fat, like butter gets burned first so it's better than other fat or carbs. I get that the body will just burn pasta first and hence not body fat. And that sugar is just stored. But the animal fat, butter, mayo story is harder to pin down. Basically I think that animal fat is your best source of energy, if your depleted better to have a little animal fat. Maybe high energy low carb. But if you eat a bowl of spaghetti your done, zero weightloss will happen with body using pasta as fuel etc. 

chinese restaurants marinade everything in salt and fish soy, msg, meat tenderizers, then fry with oil and /garlicvinegars/chilis to balance it out. If it's salty they recommend more white rice!

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Stew and stew meat recipes please!!!!  Especially Blade Roast!

A local Bio-Dynamic farm will be delivering the last of their Grass-Fed beef until this fall to my door on Sunday.  And hopefully I they will take my CSA deposit for the fall - for 30 lbs of assorted cuts!!

I ran out of pastured beef a while back (because here with long winters they harvest the beef in Fall and thats it until next fall).

I cant wait.  Probably gonna end up having some blue so I dont have to wait :lol:

Cant believe Im the one who gets it!

Its largely blade roasts and other stewing meats - less sexy cuts that dont sell themselves at market.  I love it though

2 hours ago, soon said:

Stew and stew meat recipes please!!!!  Especially Blade Roast!

A local Bio-Dynamic farm will be delivering the last of their Grass-Fed beef until this fall to my door on Sunday.  And hopefully I they will take my CSA deposit for the fall - for 30 lbs of assorted cuts!!

I ran out of pastured beef a while back (because here with long winters they harvest the beef in Fall and thats it until next fall).

I cant wait.  Probably gonna end up having some blue so I dont have to wait :lol:

Cant believe Im the one who gets it!

Its largely blade roasts and other stewing meats - less sexy cuts that dont sell themselves at market.  I love it though

ooooh i have never tried this with anything other than a chuck roast. think it would work? if so i'll put it here ( i may have already actually )

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ooooh i have never tried this with anything other than a chuck roast. think it would work? if so i'll put it here ( i may have already actually )

My impression is that it would be an okay substitution, and if Im lucky I might even get some chuck.  If you shared it that would be awesome!

this is not my recipe but it is the best stew i have ever had! :)

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper ( or as i do, to taste )

1 and 1/4 lbs beef chuck

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil

i med onion peeled and diced

1 lg celery stalk sliced

1/2 cup red wine

1 cup beef stock

2 clove garli

2 cloves garlic, peeled. minced or pressed

10 small potatoes unpeeled ( you can use red or yukon gold. i used the yukons )

2 large peeled carrots cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 tablespoon fresh thyme

prep: cut beef into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes. put flour mixed with salt and pepper into a large plastic bag. shake to mix. remove meat. set aside the remaining flour mixture to use for thickening gravy.

Heat oil in a 6 qt flameproof pan over medium heat. brown meat then remove. add onion and celery to pan, cook til onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. remove from pan, place with removed meat. add wine to pan and deglaze scraping up any browned pieces. add beef broth gradually, then return meat, onion and celery to pan. add garlic and thyme. cover and cook over medium to low heat until the meat feels tender when pierced, about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. stir occasionally to prevent from sticking. After 1 hour add the potatoes and carrot. Continue cooking until the meat and vegetable are tender when pierced with a fork. 45 min. to 1 hour longer. If gravy is too thin mix reserved flour with a little water to make a paste. gradually stir into pan til thickend to taste. :)

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is not my recipe but it is the best stew i have ever had! :)

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper ( or as i do, to taste )

1 and 1/4 lbs beef chuck

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil

i med onion peeled and diced

1 lg celery stalk sliced

1/2 cup red wine

1 cup beef stock

2 clove garli

2 cloves garlic, peeled. minced or pressed

10 small potatoes unpeeled ( you can use red or yukon gold. i used the yukons )

2 large peeled carrots cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 tablespoon fresh thyme

prep: cut beef into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes. put flour mixed with salt and pepper into a large plastic bag. shake to mix. remove meat. set aside the remaining flour mixture to use for thickening gravy.

Heat oil in a 6 qt flameproof pan over medium heat. brown meat then remove. add onion and celery to pan, cook til onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. remove from pan, place with removed meat. add wine to pan and deglaze scraping up any browned pieces. add beef broth gradually, then return meat, onion and celery to pan. add garlic and thyme. cover and cook over medium to low heat until the meat feels tender when pierced, about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. stir occasionally to prevent from sticking. After 1 hour add the potatoes and carrot. Continue cooking until the meat and vegetable are tender when pierced with a fork. 45 min. to 1 hour longer. If gravy is too thin mix reserved flour with a little water to make a paste. gradually stir into pan til thickend to taste. :)

Thanks so much!  Really appreciate you taking the time to write it out for me!

Sounds so delicious!  I know we both love thyme and mine is greening up in the garden and looking healthy enough to clip some to use for this 

Do you go for any specific type of red wine?  Or can I just use this half empty box of "red wine drink" I have in the freezer? :lol:

53 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks so much!  Really appreciate you taking the time to write it out for me!

Sounds so delicious!  I know we both love thyme and mine is greening up in the garden and looking healthy enough to clip some to use for this 

Do you go for any specific type of red wine?  Or can I just use this half empty box of "red wine drink" I have in the freezer? :lol:

you are very welcome! if you try it let me know how it is :)

as for the wine, well they say don't use any wine cooking that you would not drink so if you enjoyed drinking it go for it!

i use a merlot. that's funny, way back in the day i used to drink boxed wine and if it wasn't cold i'd put it in the freezer. sometimes i'd forget it! when it started to unfreeze all i could get from it was the alcohol cos alcohol doesn't freeze that fast. wowee that stuff kicked my bum! :D

don't forget some nice fluffy biscuits to sop up that gravy in the stew...oh my goodness, there comes my southern side coming out! :P

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

42 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you are very welcome! if you try it let me know how it is :)

as for the wine, well they say don't use any wine cooking that you would not drink so if you enjoyed drinking it go for it!

i use a merlot. that's funny, way back in the day i used to drink boxed wine and if it wasn't cold i'd put it in the freezer. sometimes i'd forget it! when it started to unfreeze all i could get from it was the alcohol cos alcohol doesn't freeze that fast. wowee that stuff kicked my bum! :D

don't forget some nice fluffy biscuits to sop up that gravy in the stew...oh my goodness, there comes my southern side coming out! :P

Im planning to make this and will definitely let you know

I think Ill try with Pinot Noir - a peppery one suits me.

That is a dangerous hack - freezing wine to get the pure alcohol.  I bet it did the trick!  Probably fuel a coleman stove too! :lol:

I love your southern cooking side! :) Ill have to look up a recipe for that on my own as it would be too selfish to ask you to write out another recipe.  I swear my palate was born and raised in the South! 

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Im planning to make this and will definitely let you know

I think Ill try with Pinot Noir - a peppery one suits me.

That is a dangerous hack - freezing wine to get the pure alcohol.  I bet it did the trick!  Probably fuel a coleman stove too! :lol:

I love your southern cooking side! :) Ill have to look up a recipe for that on my own as it would be too selfish to ask you to write out another recipe.  I swear my palate was born and raised in the Sou i will post one soon :)

the thing is again, i don't have a set recipe. just by watching my grandma and mom is how i learned it!

i am thinking of writing a cookbook: No Exact Recipes Just Do It It Til it Looks Right! :P

i will post one soon :)

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

the thing is again, i don't have a set recipe. just by watching my grandma and mom is how i learned it!

i am thinking of writing a cookbook: No Exact Recipes Just Do It It Til it Looks Right! :P

i will post one soon :)

Id pre order your cook book!  Do it!!!

Perfect title :lol:

Ill look forward to that post!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I want to make better ribs. I generally just grill them. But how do you get like the TGI Friday's style barbq ribs. The bones seem softer or something. 

Wrap them in a foil parcel with all the marinade and cook an gas mark 5 for 3-4 hours. Take them out and drain off half of the juice into a cup. Give them a final 20 minute blast on a higher heat and pour the rest of the marinade back over. You can leave all the marinade on but it might burn  and go super thick under the high heat if you've used sugar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Wrap them in a foil parcel with all the marinade and cook an gas mark 5 for 3-4 hours. Take them out and drain off half of the juice into a cup. Give them a final 20 minute blast on a higher heat and pour the rest of the marinade back over. You can leave all the marinade on but it might burn  and go super thick under the high heat if you've used sugar.

this is great! i have boiled mine for a while before grilling them but yours sounds much better. thanks!

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is great! i have boiled mine for a while before grilling them but yours sounds much better. thanks!

What about the ribs, just a chain on those short ones or the long ones. 

So lather in heinz barbq sauce. Then foil oven for 3-4 hours at 100 degrees, then finish off. 

I have to check the price because I can get 3 ribs, veg, and a no no ball of bacon mash for 9 quid/68rmb. 2 Long island ice teas for 50rmb at happy hour. 

Potentially I could get 6 ribs and 4 cans of 500 ml Rio for the same price. 

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. Unless you're me of course. 

• Like 1

theres so many variations for cooking ribs and all that Ive had can produce really good results.  someone else will always do it better though.  all I will add is for different preparations, deepening on the butchery, you may need to trim fat.  

slow cooker is less sexy but also can produce some tasty results, though not world class

8 hours ago, wasted said:

What about the ribs, just a chain on those short ones or the long ones. 

So lather in heinz barbq sauce. Then foil oven for 3-4 hours at 100 degrees, then finish off. 

I have to check the price because I can get 3 ribs, veg, and a no no ball of bacon mash for 9 quid/68rmb. 2 Long island ice teas for 50rmb at happy hour. 

Potentially I could get 6 ribs and 4 cans of 500 ml Rio for the same price. 

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life. Unless you're me of course. 

Low and slow wrapped in foil and exposed for 2 mins intense heat.

What's bacon mash? Sounds carby.

5 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Low and slow wrapped in foil and exposed for 2 mins intense heat.

What's bacon mash? Sounds carby.

I didn't eat it, I swear.

It's just mash with bacon and onion bits mixed in. I would of asked for salad instead but they gave me this massive salad. 

Bacon is fine. I saw this huge pack of bacon for a tenner, always wondered who ate that much bacon. Now I know, low carb winners. 

I do not feel bloated. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2