The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i love polenta! and yes, not too loose. if that's the case go for the grits..or as you said polenta! do you use parmesan in your polenta? cos it matches so well with steak and lobster. being from the south we call it grits, never knew it was the same as polenta! oh and fresh sage is one of my all time favorite herbs, i do a very simple pasta with sage, penne pasta, prosciutto, walnuts, garlic, butter and olive oil ( thanks to my friend Chef David Ruggerio :) )

First: one should not be allowed to describe a pasta that delicious with out serving it directly after!

Second: I often do mild cheddar, parmesan and sage in a polenta.  I wonder if tarragon might compliment the lobster?  I like tarragon with tuna. Not too similar but both from the ocean, so maybe?

When I had grits in a dinner in Georgia I didnt know what they were so I asked.  The server said: "I dont know what they are, but they're good!" :) 

If you ever find the time to post that pasta recipe, I will be grateful!!!

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i will post it very soon :) i am not a fan of tarragon but if you like it i would use that. those cheeses sound delicious. i cannot believe all this time i didn't know grits and polenta were the same thing! :P

Chefs on a tv show once quipped:

Q "Whats the difference between polenta and grits?"

A "The price"

If I go tarragon I will only use part and no cheddar.  But I trust your intinct so will likely skip tarragon.

Maybe garlic/parm polenta?

Just now, soon said:

Chefs on a tv show once quipped:

Q "Whats the difference between polenta and grits?"

A "The price"

If I go tarragon I will only use part and no cheddar.  But I trust your intinct so will likely skip tarragon.

Maybe garlic/parm polenta?

that sounds delicious! but really if you like tarragon i'd go with that. it's just a thing i don't care for. i read about it years ago and it sounded so yummy but it just didn't do it for me. trust your instincts :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

speaking of bacon, I was coming here to ask for various surf and turf combos.  And what dishes and salads pair with them.

Anyone ever make bacon wrapped shrimp?

Maybe once. I wrapped sausages in bacon, and chicken breasts. 

Asparagus wrapped in bacon too. 

These things happen about once a decade though. You've gotta buy sticks. 

But since the culling of carbs all these sound like great options. I'm so fucking hungry my head feels like it's about to explode. I've got pizzas spinning around my head. Everywhere I go I see carbs! But as long as this non carb road seems I know know it's called the street of bacon, it's taste that's very salty, that's called I won't lose. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Maybe once. I wrapped sausages in bacon, and chicken breasts. 

Asparagus wrapped in bacon too. 

These things happen about once a decade though. You've gotta buy sticks. 

But since the culling of carbs all these sound like great options. I'm so fucking hungry my head feels like it's about to explode. I've got pizzas spinning around my head. Everywhere I go I see carbs! But as long as this non carb road seems I know know it's called the street of bacon, it's taste that's very salty, that's called I won't lose. 

Thats not star dust on my feet.  Its bacon bits

Sticks to hold bacon onto shrimp or asparagus?  I was wondering if either gets any pre cooking?

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats not star dust on my feet.  Its bacon bits

Sticks to hold bacon onto shrimp or asparagus?  I was wondering if either gets any pre cooking?

I always use tooth picks to hold these things together. 

That's not flour dust on my shirt, it's tasty bacon bits

"play the solo again, this time with feel, keep the bends, yes, yes I am! I am the Kubrick of inspiring food analogies, that's right! I'moutta here!!!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I always use tooth picks to hold these things together. 

That's not flour dust on my shirt, it's tasty bacon bits

"play the solo again, this time with feel, keep the bends, yes, yes I am! I am the Kubrick of inspiring food analogies, that's right! I'moutta here!!!"

"I've gotta need.  A need or more bacon wrapped stuff.  And when i serve my bacon wrapped asparagus you're all gonna need gold plated diapers"

3 minutes ago, soon said:

"I've gotta need.  A need or more bacon wrapped stuff.  And when i serve my bacon wrapped asparagus you're all gonna need gold plated diapers"

And it would take a lot more bacon than you, I got more devil-ed-eggs

2 minutes ago, soon said:

even if ironed pork-belly / is all they got to feed the Nation

I season that with cayenne or thyme  

I think pork belly is a thing here but it's some sort of rich dark soy. 

I've seen this beef that is like strips, a lot like pork belly. I think I tried before and it just came out chewy. 

When your great mexican disaster fails, you reach for the beef chunks, but you're out of Guinness

16 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think pork belly is a thing here but it's some sort of rich dark soy. 

I've seen this beef that is like strips, a lot like pork belly. I think I tried before and it just came out chewy. 

When your great mexican disaster fails, you reach for the beef chunks, but you're out of Guinness

I had a funny feeding.  Theres something wrong inside  

Made some meatballs today.  Hoping meat balls and marinara can serve as pasta.

I reserved the ample drippings.  Gonna try making a gravy tomorrow.  Never used this before.

Once again i added so much parsley, and I prefer to puree it, that they are green! haha!  I just go by feel, but this is likely really close:

Ingredients

1 lbs ground beef

3/4 cup ricotta

1 egg

1/4 bread crumbs soaked in cream for 15 minutes (milk usually but I was out)

half bunch flat leaf parsley - stalks and all - and one cooking onion puree (raw).  Just blended in Ninja.  (note, most dont puree these but finally dice, which adds texture)

cayenne, worsheshire, salt and pepper

Directions

Wet hands, work ingredients together ensuring to break and distribute egg, when satisfied form into balls and place onto waiting pyrex baking tray, place in fridge at least 15 minutes, optional step: brown each side in skillet (i didnt this time), place on parchment paper lined baking sheet or room temp pyrex, bake at 350 for about 12 minutes a side ( I find this can really vary sometimes requiring more time), jiggle with finger to ensure the are ready for flip with a wide utensil, done when reaches 160 internal temp

I made mine rather large and got about 9.

Notes

If freezing, let cool and place on pyrex or what ever in freezer so they arent touching until frozen.  Then store in bag or container to freeze long term.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Made some meatballs today.  Hoping meat balls and marinara can serve as pasta.

I reserved the ample drippings.  Gonna try making a gravy tomorrow.  Never used this before.

Once again i added so much parsley, and I prefer to puree it, that they are green! haha!  I just go by feel, but this is likely really close:

Ingredients

1 lbs ground beef

3/4 cup ricotta

1 egg

1/4 bread crumbs soaked in cream for 15 minutes (milk usually but I was out)

half bunch flat leaf parsley - stalks and all - and one cooking onion puree (raw).  Just blended in Ninja.  (note, most dont puree these but finally dice, which adds texture)

cayenne, worsheshire, salt and pepper

Directions

Wet hands, work ingredients together ensuring to break and distribute egg, when satisfied form into balls and place onto waiting pyrex baking tray, place in fridge at least 15 minutes, optional step: brown each side in skillet (i didnt this time), place on parchment paper lined baking sheet or room temp pyrex, bake at 350 for about 12 minutes a side ( I find this can really vary sometimes requiring more time), jiggle with finger to ensure the are ready for flip with a wide utensil, done when reaches 160 internal temp

I made mine rather large and got about 9.

Notes

If freezing, let cool and place on pyrex or what ever in freezer so they arent touching until frozen.  Then store in bag or container to freeze long term.

sounds yummy! i decided to BBQ a turkey for Memorial Day. everyone is insisting i make my "famous" beans which is so funny cos i just take a big can of pork and beans, add bacon, brown sugar, honey, mustard, ketchup and a pinch of cayenne. trying to decide if i want to do potato or pasta salad. i have this killer chipolte mayo that i want to try to incorporate into my potato salad. oh well, summer is here, there will be lots of time for summery food!

12 hours ago, soon said:

I dont believe yams are in season

I had some purple yams in a salad from 7-11 yeaterday. I ejected as carbs, but not sure. 

It's carbless pepperoni and jalepenos pizza night.

Just get a plate and order a circular pattern of pepperoni, jalepenos, cheese (I've got Feta) and Black olives. Drizzle with olive oil. Melt under grill, making sure not to heat the plate to shattering point. Make sure you don't eat the plate. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wasted said:

I had some purple yams in a salad from 7-11 yeaterday. I ejected as carbs, but not sure. 

Just get a plate and order a circular pattern of pepperoni, jalepenos, cheese (I've got Feta) and Black olives. Drizzle with olive oil. Melt under grill, making sure not to heat the plate to shattering point. Make sure you don't eat the plate. 

All this protein protein protein...plus alcohol?...dude, you're gonna put yourself in ketoacidosis! Are those few pounds worth it?..c'mon, embrace the carbs! :lol:

1 hour ago, Whiskey Rose said:

All this protein protein protein...plus alcohol?...dude, you're gonna put yourself in ketoacidosis! Are those few pounds worth it?..c'mon, embrace the carbs! :lol:

I'm feeling svelte n shit. Bitches want to fuck me more than you're homeless crack whore. You know it's step up. All from not eating overt carbs. Although I just drank 8 pints of Tsingdao light then some asshole (god) bought me a 2 litre Tsingdao black. 

Anyway I'm back on the couch drinking Gin on ice watching Hard Target 2. Who's better than me?!

I did get raped, but I showered. Everything is fine. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wasted said:

I'm feeling svelte n shit. Bitches want to fuck me more than you're homeless crack whore. You know it's step up. All from not eating overt carbs. Although I just drank 8 pints of Tsingdao light then some asshole (god) bought me a 2 litre Tsingdao black. 

Anyway I'm back on the couch drinking Gin on ice watching Hard Target 2. Who's better than me?!

I did get raped, but I showered. Everything is fine. 

Ok, well i see there are obvious advantages to this ketone diet, so carry on :P

12 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

sounds yummy! i decided to BBQ a turkey for Memorial Day. everyone is insisting i make my "famous" beans which is so funny cos i just take a big can of pork and beans, add bacon, brown sugar, honey, mustard, ketchup and a pinch of cayenne. trying to decide if i want to do potato or pasta salad. i have this killer chipolte mayo that i want to try to incorporate into my potato salad. oh well, summer is here, there will be lots of time for summery food!

Oh yeah, happy Memorial day weekend!  Never had BBQ turkey thats sounds delectable!  As do Queen AFRs Famous Beans.  Im gonna try some of that out!!  Did you settle on noodle or potato?

11 hours ago, wasted said:

That actually sounds pretty great for a cooked plate.  Did you invent it?  

2 hours ago, soon said:

Oh yeah, happy Memorial day weekend!  Never had BBQ turkey thats sounds delectable!  As do Queen AFRs Famous Beans.  Im gonna try some of that out!!  Did you settle on noodle or potato?

not yet i have had so much going on! i bought tickets to the GN'R concert because life is short right? and two relatives contacted me out of the blue, i have never actually met them, they are the kids of my cousin. and i have like a million appointments with doctors cos my new dr actually CARES about my health!

thanks, Happy Memorial Day for you! do you BBQ?

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

not yet i have had so much going on! i bought tickets to the GN'R concert because life is short right? and two relatives contacted me out of the blue, i have never actually met them, they are the kids of my cousin. and i have like a million appointments with doctors cos my new dr actually CARES about my health!

thanks, Happy Memorial Day for you! do you BBQ?

Yay GnR tickets!!!  They'll be in my region three times between lat summer and late fall!  So I figure Ill make my way to one.  Was passing on late summer but cant see holding out all three time!

Gad you got a good Dr.  Thats so important.  Hope you see results quickly!

We dont do memorial day, but I do bbq.  I dont have my own but like to use the charcoal pits at the parks.  Its rainy and windy sadly.  Well sadly as far as bbq last summer was a drought and so far its been raining almost daily so I hope this keeps up sp I can have a life during the growing season this year!

Are you relatives looking to meet?  Sounds exciting?