The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

5 hours ago, wasted said:

I didn't eat it, I swear.

It's just mash with bacon and onion bits mixed in. I would of asked for salad instead but they gave me this massive salad. 

Bacon is fine. I saw this huge pack of bacon for a tenner, always wondered who ate that much bacon. Now I know, low carb winners. 

I do not feel bloated. 

the horrid ex bought those giant packages of bacon called like bits and pieces i guess? like the fatty stuff they cut off normal bacon. i refused to cook it so he'd have a friend over and they would cook it on high high heat, burning most of it even though i kept telling them low and slow. then they'd eat every last bite :facepalm:

he had gross oily skin to begin with and after every one of his bacon-a-thons he'd break out in pimples, always with one lovely giant one in the middle of his forehead *shudders*

9 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

the horrid ex bought those giant packages of bacon called like bits and pieces i guess? like the fatty stuff they cut off normal bacon. i refused to cook it so he'd have a friend over and they would cook it on high high heat, burning most of it even though i kept telling them low and slow. then they'd eat every last bite :facepalm:

he had gross oily skin to begin with and after every one of his bacon-a-thons he'd break out in pimples, always with one lovely giant one in the middle of his forehead *shudders*

This is actually real bacon. I'm not sure I can take down that amount, it looks like 60 slices. But since the demise of bread I average 2 slices a day. So maybe that's 60 slices a month but how long does bacon last. Also, if anyone is wondering, I know my fans get anxious, I'm not brad pitt but I do alright with runaways. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wasted said:

This is actually real bacon. I'm not sure I can take down that amount, it looks like 60 slices. But since the demise of bread I average 2 slices a day. So maybe that's 60 slices a month but how long does bacon last. Also, if anyone is wondering, I know my fans get anxious, I'm not brad pitt but I do alright with runaways. 

Sounds like you're rising up, straight to the top.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, wasted said:

bacon lasts pretty long due to the process they use when they make it. also you can freeze bacon, it actually makes it easier to separate the slices. do you pan fry yours? i cook mine in the oven....sooooo much easier :) 

6 hours ago, wasted said:

:rofl-lol:

Dude sometimes you absolutely fuckin kill me 

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

bacon lasts pretty long due to the process they use when they make it. also you can freeze bacon, it actually makes it easier to separate the slices. do you pan fry yours? i cook mine in the oven....sooooo much easier :) 

I'm not that skilled, when I grill the fat just goes everywhere in the oven. At least the pan keeps the fat in a specific area. Also I cook the eggs in the bacon fat. Used to be fried bread back when I was dangerous to know. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Just now, wasted said:

I'm not that skilled, when I grill the fat just goes everywhere in the oven. At the the pan keeps the fat in a specific area. Also I cook the eggs in the bacon fat. 

never had that problem cos i use high sided foil pans. and i don't use the bacon grease if i decide to have a couple of fried eggs,  it's too much for me. i use an oil with no trans fat in it. it actually makes the egg whites crispy while keeping the yolks intact.

8 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never had that problem cos i use high sided foil pans. and i don't use the bacon grease if i decide to have a couple of fried eggs,  it's too much for me. i use an oil with no trans fat in it. it actually makes the egg whites crispy while keeping the yolks intact.

I make a cheese omlette. Sometimes that boursin cheese. Basically I just eat omlettes and ribs. This could be the break theough diet book of the century. I lost 30kg on the cheese and ribs diet. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wasted said:

I'm not that skilled, when I grill the fat just goes everywhere in the oven. At least the pan keeps the fat in a specific area. Also I cook the eggs in the bacon fat. Used to be fried bread back when I was dangerous to know. 

When a fry up arrives with fried bread you have to treat it with a bit more respect. It rules out any alcohol later and you become extra aware of any slight twinges in the chest area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

When a fry up arrives with fried bread you have to treat it with a bit more respect. It rules out any alcohol later and you become extra aware of any slight twinges in the chest area.

I have to risk cardiac arrest to lose weight. All systems salt. No carb shall pass. 

I did ribs in foil. It worked I coulda done longer but it worked. I even did the chicken legs in foil with cajun garlic marinade. I'm all about the foil. I just have to put out of my mind that for the price of a roll of foil I could probably have week of Big Macs. 

Chorizo sausage secured. Chorizo omlettes are go. 5 days in chorizo. Hit me. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

On May 21, 2017 at 4:21 AM, Fitha_whiskey said:

:rofl-lol:

Dude sometimes you absolutely fuckin kill me 

That was the SCAM MENU day. today I saw 60 slices of bacon 1/2 price. I went with Chorizo. It hurt me. Will someone give me a gun. 

My Beef arrived!  They very generously brought more then I paid for even!  Havent got into the roasts yet, but had steak with carrot-ginger sauce and frizzy greens.  Delicious.

Steak (blanking on the cut - a mid range cut) was just marinated in apple cider vinegar in fridge over night.  Room temped for an hour prior to cook. Cooked in cast iron skillet with butter, salt and fresh pepper rubbed in.  Medium-high heat, flipped once with tongs.  Medium rare. Rested. Sliced against grain.  No fuss.

Heres the carrot ginger sauce recipe.  I used garlic in place of shallots because thats what i had, but I do love shallots.  The type of veg oil was safflower (good for seasoning cast iron and maintaining wooden kitchen tools too). I always prefer less sesame  oil then recipes call for but in this case just a drop less.  

I made sauce a while back and froze in cubes.  To me they still tasted fantastic and the flavour was very alive. Thawed in fridge over night and counter for a while. Its great with hot food and as a salad dressing.  Id use with spring roll too.  

INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb carrots (3 medium), coarsely chopped

1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger

1/4 cup chopped shallots

1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup water

PREPARATION

Pulse carrots in a food processor until finely ground (almost puréed). Add chopped ginger, chopped shallots, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and pulse until ginger and shallots are minced. With motor running, add vegetable oil in a slow stream.

Transfer mixture to a blender. Add 1/4 cup water and blend until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Thin dressing with additional water if desired.

Cooks' note:

Dressing keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/carrot-ginger-dressing-233572

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Agreed about fresh ginger - gonna try and grow some in my aquaponics rig whenever it finally arrives.  Beautiful flowers too.  Homemade teriyaki sauce sounds so nice!  I should try that.  

:lol: bad carbs!  We're all on the same page!  Although isn't teriyaki pretty sugary?  So maybe the extra protein of the rice might help the body balance out?  I dunno.

I also made spaghetti with a cheesy marinara and pan shrimp today.  I know carbs will never get too far away from me! 

Got the Chorizo. The real version wasn't as spicy as the packet slices. 3 more to go. Maybe it's just I drink Tobasco so nothing is that spicy. I got a jar of pickled Jalepenos too. So whatever that chicken thought about it's life, it's going to a place very much as hot as hell. 

• Like 1

2 slices was an understatement. Once you have the motherload of bacon in storage you tend to just have bacon for every meal. I invented the bacon salad. Bacon is here to stay. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

2 slices was an understatement. Once you have the motherload of bacon in storage you tend to just have bacon for every meal. I invented the bacon salad. Bacon is here to stay. 

speaking of bacon, I was coming here to ask for various surf and turf combos.  And what dishes and salads pair with them.

Anyone ever make bacon wrapped shrimp?

4 hours ago, soon said:

speaking of bacon, I was coming here to ask for various surf and turf combos.  And what dishes and salads pair with them.

Anyone ever make bacon wrapped shrimp?

i never understood the concept of surf and turf...i don't want my steak to taste of shrimp juice! i'd rather have a great shrimp cocktail to start with then my steak. but i guess a lot of people like it so... i love bacon wrapped dates. i know it sounds icky but the sweet and the salty match very well. now there is an exception... i will have steak and lobster, i just put some kind of barrier between them like mashed potatoes :P i had lobster macaroni for the first time ever last night, why have i been missing this for so long??

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i never understood the concept of surf and turf...i don't want my steak to taste of shrimp juice! i'd rather have a great shrimp cocktail to start with then my steak. but i guess a lot of people like it so... i love bacon wrapped dates. i know it sounds icky but the sweet and the salty match very well. now there is an exception... i will have steak and lobster, i just put some kind of barrier between them like mashed potatoes :P i had lobster macaroni for the first time ever last night, why have i been missing this for so long??

Lobster and beef are the two ingredients I have that originally led me here to ask.   Just asked about bacon wrapped shrimp because bacon was being discussed and I love that combo too!

Mashed between is a good idea.

As a Southerner how would grits between steak and shrimp sound?

Edited by soon

1 minute ago, soon said:

Lobster and beef are the two ingredients I have that originally led me here to ask.   Just asked about bacon wrapped shrimp because bacon was being discussed and I love that combo too!

Mashed between is a good idea.

As a Southerner how would grits between steak and shrimp sound?

ashamed to say i have never had grits :facepalm: someone told me once they taste like hominy and hominy makes me sick. have you had grits? if you have and you like it i think that would be good. how would you prepare the shrimp?

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ashamed to say i have never had grits :facepalm: someone told me once they taste like hominy and hominy makes me sick. have you had grits? if you have and you like it i think that would be good. how would you prepare the shrimp?

shoot, I meant to say I had lobster and steak.

Its a frozen lobster tail, and not being very experienced I will boil it for 6 minutes and then baste in garlic butter over heat for a minute or two.

I dont know what hominy is.  Grits are also called polenta.  Thats what I know them as, but thought Id try and use Southern name. Is hominy polenta?

I like them not to wet, cheesy and with a bit of sage, cooked in chicken broth.  Not so keen on the looser breakfast preparation I had once in Georgia.  

Just now, soon said:

shoot, I meant to say I had lobster and steak.

Its a frozen lobster tail, and not being very experienced I will boil it for 6 minutes and then baste in garlic butter over heat for a minute or two.

I dont know what hominy is.  Grits are also called polenta.  Thats what I know them as, but thought Id try and use Southern name. Is hominy polenta?

I like them not to wet, cheesy and with a bit of sage, cooked in chicken broth.  Not so keen on the looser breakfast preparation I had once in Georgia.  

i love polenta! and yes, not too loose. if that's the case go for the grits..or as you said polenta! do you use parmesan in your polenta? cos it matches so well with steak and lobster. being from the south we call it grits, never knew it was the same as polenta! oh and fresh sage is one of my all time favorite herbs, i do a very simple pasta with sage, penne pasta, prosciutto, walnuts, garlic, butter and olive oil ( thanks to my friend Chef David Ruggerio :) )