The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

28 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

glad yours was nice! sounds yummy.

mine went well, the food was well received. instead of a coconut cake ( i wasn't even going to try a 7 minute frosting with the humidity in the air! we had some rain yesterday. ) instead i made like a shortbread kind of crust with a cream cheese layer topped with a lemon curd and fresh whipped cream on the top! everything else was the same.

yes i love this time of year and can't wait to do a pasta primavera with FRESH peas lol! you make your own pasta? how cool!

oh and i had Easter Baskets for all. the hands down winner was a chocolate bunny with sea salt caramel filling...soooo yummy :D 

Your dessert sound delicious!  As I predicted my neighbour brought by some coconut loaf.  Easter baskets?!?! thats awesome!  Never even occurred to me.  nice!

I go through periods where i make a lot of homemade pasta.  and when I do I try to stock the freezer with lasagna rolls and ravioli, on top of eating lots fresh.  Its fun and stuff but half the time it just feels easier then going out to buy noodles :P

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I don't know if you're still looking for a good recipe for pecan pie or not but I've been making this one for years it's pretty guaranteed to get you a few marriage proposals. 

• 1 pie crust (enough for the bottom of the pan only, don't cover the pie, store bought works fine)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (you can leave them whole if you want but for some reason I've convinced myself that they taste better chopped. I could be crazy though. :P)
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup corn syrup (Karo)
  • 1/3 cup melted slated butter
  • 3 beaten eggs

Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, vanilla, corn syrup, butter and eggs together in a bowl. Place your pie crust down into your baking dish. Don't bake the pie crust before hand just plop the sucker in there raw. Next put your pecans on top of the pie crust. Then pour the butter,sugar,salt,vanilla,syrup mixture on top of the pecans. Don't stir them at all, they'll float to the top as the pie is cooking. Cover the pie with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 min then pull off the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. Basically you want the pie to not be super jiggly. If it still seems like liquid when you're pulling it out of the oven it's not done yet. It should feel like jello almost if that makes sense. Also keep an eye on your pecans so they don't burn. If they get too dark before it's done put the foil back on.

Hope that helps. It sounds complicated but it's pretty fool proof. My family forces me to make so many of these during the holidays I feel like I could make it in my sleep now.  :lol:

Gonna try this - thanks!

We can do side by side comparisons of this and @AxlsFavoriteRose's grandmothers recipe :).  I have a feeling i will love them both very much.... with a bit of maple syrup somewhere in the mix :headbang: 

• Like 2

I hate to contribute to the 'cauliflower can do everything' trend.  I have never had a cauliflower buffalo wing that tastes like anything other then cauliflower with franks hot. :)

But, i made a kinda sorta cauliflower chicken gravy.  And its delectable. its smooth an light.  Its viscosity is banging!  I just wanted to sneak in a few more nutrients.

Pulse the flowers in the processor.  About 2 Tbls butter in the pan. Medium heat.  Toss in heated butter.  Add pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook stirring until butter and herbs is coating/absorbing into cauliflower. Cook until caramelization is about to really begin. Add chicken broth - enough to just cover.  I add enough, plus a mug of water, that I can cook it down for sometime.  Reduce heat, simmer down mostly covered.  When its where you want it, remove and cool.  Puree in processor, shouldnt need to add additional liquids. Mine easily blended to a velvety liquid - no tiny pieces after once through the tamis.  Could add a few drops of Worchestshire or the like while sautéing.

I used it like chicken gravy.  Also, I blended with mushroom puree for a tuna casserole sauce.  And that plus sour cream for a tetrazinni sauce. Perfect for a pot pie filling. I like em all - but the gravy use is sure to please. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, soon said:

How do I upload pictures?

If you go to imgur.com you can upload pics there. Then you just right click over the picture, copy the picture location, and then paste that here and it will insert the pic. :)

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

Thanks @Kris_1989!  

I made pizza.  Burnt my hand pretty bad, but was worth it! Tasted better then this picture might suggest. Peppers, tomato and oregano from my garden!

Pie recipe:

http://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/best-ever-pizza-dough/

5 minute pizza sauce:

http://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/5-minute-pizza-sauce/

For anyone who ends up with tomato skins - after making a sauce or dish, or after canning - you can dehydrate the skins and powder them.  Wonderful as seasoning in so many places.  Great to flavour crackers or dips.  Also, it can be rehydrated with just a 1:1 with water into a very reasonable tomato paste.  I used that for tomato paste and it was great. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2017 at 9:49 AM, soon said:

I hate to contribute to the 'cauliflower can do everything' trend.  I have never had a cauliflower buffalo wing that tastes like anything other then cauliflower with franks hot. :)

But, i made a kinda sorta cauliflower chicken gravy.  And its delectable. its smooth an light.  Its viscosity is banging!  I just wanted to sneak in a few more nutrients.

Pulse the flowers in the processor.  About 2 Tbls butter in the pan. Medium heat.  Toss in heated butter.  Add pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook stirring until butter and herbs is coating/absorbing into cauliflower. Cook until caramelization is about to really begin. Add chicken broth - enough to just cover.  I add enough, plus a mug of water, that I can cook it down for sometime.  Reduce heat, simmer down mostly covered.  When its where you want it, remove and cool.  Puree in processor, shouldnt need to add additional liquids. Mine easily blended to a velvety liquid - no tiny pieces after once through the tamis.  Could add a few drops of Worchestshire or the like while sautéing.

I used it like chicken gravy.  Also, I blended with mushroom puree for a tuna casserole sauce.  And that plus sour cream for a tetrazinni sauce. Perfect for a pot pie filling. I like em all - but the gravy use is sure to please. 

roasted cauliflower is also delicious! and Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner....i have some good recipes for it :)

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

roasted cauliflower is also delicious! and Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner....i have some good recipes for it :)

Will you share a Cinco de Mayo recipe?

Im hoping to finally use last years dent corn to make some tamales and nachos.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

nachos are are a breeze. tamales i suck at and what is dent corn?? i have never used any kind of corn in my nachos :(

you know me:  Im making the chips and tamale dough (masa) from corn i grew!  But I do like some sweet corn in my salsa too.  Yep, I grew that too :) 

Dent corn is also called field corn.  Its used to make masa for tortilla and tamales. and also for cornmeal and grits.  To make masa you dry the corn right on the cob.  Once dry you remove it.  Then you make a solution of warm alkaline water. Traditionally and typically lime (the powdered stone type) and warm water.  I will try and use washing soda (since I make that for detergents and paper making already) and warm water. Soaking it in this solution removes the hard exterior of kernel. Whats inside is the masa.  It can be used fresh to make tamales and tortilla or dehydrated into a flour.

But i was trying to see if you'd share any of the recipes you were mentioning - whether they had to do with tamales and nachos or not?

Edited by soon

3 minutes ago, soon said:

you know me:  Im making the chips and tamale dough (masa) from corn i grew!  But I do like some sweet corn in my salsa too.  Yep, I grew that too :) 

Dent corn is also called field corn.  Its used to make masa for tortilla and tamales. and also for cornmeal and grits.  To make masa you dry the corn right on the cob.  Once dry you remove it.  Then you make a solution of warm alkaline water.  Traditionally and typically lime (the powdered stone type) and warm water.  I will try and use washing soda (since I make that for detergents and paper making already) and warm water.  This solution removes the hard exterior of kernel.  Whats inside is the masa.  It can be used fresh to make tamales and tortilla or dehydrated into a flour.

But i was trying to see if you'd share any of the recipes you were mentioning - whether they had to do with tables and nachos or not?

wow you are a gourmet! i put a goodish size chuck roast in my slow cooker i use a large can of to tomato puree and the spices i like best ( new mexico child powder, cayenne and one whole chile in adobe plus about a tablespoon of the sauce it comes in. oh and some fresh garlic. i  cook it about 6-8 hours on slow then thread it. then i ( and compared to to ) shamefull spread corn chips on a platter. i smother it in hot pepper cheese then make homemade guacamole ( a few ripe avocadoes, lime juice. garlic. and i cringe to say it but everyone loves it some Best Foods mayo. ) i put some good qua]ality sour cream on the side ( same as the guacamole ) and there you have it!

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow you are a gourmet! i put a goodish size chuck roast in my slow cooker i use a large can of to tomato puree and the spices i like best ( new mexico child powder, cayenne and one whole chile in adobe plus about a tablespoon of the sauce it comes in. oh and some fresh garlic. i  cook it about 6-8 hours on slow then thread it. then i ( and compared to to ) shamefull spread corn chips on a platter. i smother it in hot pepper cheese then make homemade guacamole ( a few ripe avocadoes, lime juice. garlic. and i cringe to say it but everyone loves it some Best Foods mayo. ) i put some good qua]ality sour cream on the side ( same as the guacamole ) and there you have it!

Thats sounds so delicious!!!  Ive never heard of mayo in guacamole.  Southern thing?  I can instantly imagine how tasty it would be.  

Glad nachos came up - yours sound way better then any I've had!

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Thats sounds so delicious!!!  Ive never heard of mayo in guacamole.  Southern thing?  I can instantly imagine how tasty it would be.  

Glad nachos came up - yours sound way better then any I've had!

you are so sweet! yeah that's how i grew up making it.  it's a Super Bowl staple now, people demand it! i am sure you could do it much better, you make me feel sooooo inadequate ;) 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you are so sweet! yeah that's how i grew up making it.  it's a Super Bowl staple now, people demand it! i am sure you could do it much better, you make me feel sooooo inadequate ;) 

Growing some corn does not make one a good cook.  And I'm not even a good gardener either!

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

growing your own is certainly the best but at least i know how to pick good produce :P

would you select this angus young/axl rose hybrid tomato that I harvested as Axl/DC was coming into existence?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

hmmmm a yellow tomato? nice . looks good!

it has devil horns = angus

in picture I guess you cant see its orange colour.  it was eventually a very Axls hair colour

Edited by soon

11 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

how cool! how did it taste? i am sure you know this but tomatoes are actually tropical fruit and should never be refrigerated. if it gets hot find the coolest place you can and don't buy more than you need. of course growing them you can give extras to grateful friends :)

Never in the fridge!

Harvest time is such a blur with all the work.  Most of my tomato gets canned right away in one form or another.  If I did eat that one fresh I just remember it all being delicious.  Im still eating tomatoes and tomato based stuff from last harvest.  I do share, but not because its extra.  I know its very un-gardener of me but the way i see it, no one ever delvers fresh produce to me, so for the most part I dont feel inclined to do that either :lol:

Edited by soon