Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Lol, I didn't know they did this kind of stuff. Compared to this, the GnR guys with their anti-Trump tweets etc come across as politically sophisticated :lol: - and at least that piñata thing was funny and relevant to Mexico.

John Lydon, on the other hand, likes Trump :lol:

He does?  Wait a minute... are the mods going to remove these posts, if they get political? I had a post removed from the D & N -section that had political content on it. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

31 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Green Day are ok, I don't consider them a punk band although they definitely do consider themselves something like punk. I saw them in Feb and it was a good show but I hate all the political crap talk and getting us to chant No Trump in the U.K. No KKK :facepalm: Don't really care about him here or at UK rock shows tbh. 

They have more members than GnR nowadays too :lol: and their tickets prices are as absurd. 

They were still good though. :P

14 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

It is pretty dumb (quizzes usually are)

I've seen Green Day once in the 90's at summer music festival here in Finland. At the time they where little bit more "punk" than they are now. it was pretty OK gig, but I've never thought of them as a real punk band. 

And I thought that was me having a culture clash towards American Punk music, which I don't but I thought it applied to Green Day. I never considered them punk and found them never really great. But I never saw them live.

Anyone here likes Against Me? Saw them last November in Cologne and they were great. I'm thinking about seeing them this summer again, they're still touring apparently.

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Lol, I didn't know they did this kind of stuff. Compared to this, the GnR guys with their anti-Trump tweets etc come across as politically sophisticated :lol: - and at least that piñata thing was funny and relevant to Mexico.

John Lydon, on the other hand, likes Trump :lol:

Yeah, that was funny. No mention of the KKK there. And they got free t shirts out of it and up on the stage with GnR!! 

I forgot John Lydon likes Trump. WTF?!  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

And I thought that was me having a culture clash towards American Punk music, which I don't but I thought it applied to Green Day. I never considered them punk and found them never really great. But I never saw them live.

Anyone here likes Against Me? Saw them last November in Cologne and they were great. I'm thinking about seeing them this summer again, they're still touring apparently.

I had to find a video with lyrics so I could understand what they were singing about :lol:

"We want a band that doesn't care how many people are counted at the floor "

you would have to reinvent them all right :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I had to find a video with lyrics so I could understand what they were singing about :lol:

"We want a band that doesn't care how many people are counted at the floor "

you would have to reinvent them all right :P

"Just gimme a scene where the music is free
And the beer is not the life of the party
And there's no need to shit talk or impress
Cause honesty and emotion are not looked down upon
And every promise that's made and bragged
Is meant, if not kept..." :headbang:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

sounds like a total opposite of the gig I'm going to see July 1st :( 

6 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

sounds like a total opposite of the gig I'm going to see July 1st :( 

Yup. But I think it's what Guns started out to be? Or not? Maybe not. Promises kept, beer not the life of the party, not counting the people on the floor.. I guess they were never like that. 

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Interesting band... But it's kinda surprising and strange that a band defining itself as anarcho-punk has GnR as its main reference. GnR may have been anarchistic in a way in the early days because they were genuine, chaotic and didn't give a fuck, but they were ambitious and wanted to make it, they weren't about free music/against the music industry and all that and in this sense they hadn't much to do with the punk ethos.

Edited by Blackstar

This explains it:

SO, WHY THE HELL DID YOU END UP USING AXL ROSE AS A LOOSE CONCEPT FOR THE ALBUM?
LAURA JANE GRACE (VOCALS/GUITAR): “Guns N’ Roses were hugely influential to me, especially when I was a kid. I listened to tons of bands like that when I was a small kid, like, eight or nine years old. It felt dangerous to me.and I definitely identified with the ambiguity they presented – you couldn’t tell if the members were boys or girls! Axl Rose was so androgynous, especially for such a young person. I just loved that band, so, in a way, I wanted to reclaim that part of my childhood and present my own version of that.”

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/kerrang-uk/20160601/281818578084892

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Dig those lyrics :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This explains it:

SO, WHY THE HELL DID YOU END UP USING AXL ROSE AS A LOOSE CONCEPT FOR THE ALBUM?
LAURA JANE GRACE (VOCALS/GUITAR): “Guns N’ Roses were hugely influential to me, especially when I was a kid. I listened to tons of bands like that when I was a small kid, like, eight or nine years old. It felt dangerous to me.and I definitely identified with the ambiguity they presented – you couldn’t tell if the members were boys or girls! Axl Rose was so androgynous, especially for such a young person. I just loved that band, so, in a way, I wanted to reclaim that part of my childhood and present my own version of that.”

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/kerrang-uk/20160601/281818578084892

Excellent, thanks. That's a great quote.  I think that was their debut album, then came many more. Laura is a transwoman who started out as a male singer for against me and later became Laura. I see the ambiguity must have been totally fascinating to her. I always read the song as putting down the things Guns n Roses lost along the way, with being the UYI circus etc. It is talking about that punk moment and rock n roll straight to your face that I hear with Appetite. It's not an Appetite-UYI debate as I also like UYI. For me the song is something like what is expressed in Pretty Tied Up too. "It became a joke - ... went up in smoke"... :shrugs:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Btw, the site is now live for anybody that wants to share it. :nervous:

Great, you've done excellent job with it. Now we have to spread the word to Izzy fans across the world. 

You should also take the dumb, meaningless GN'R-personality test, that doesn't mean anything. 

P.S. I removed the pink punchline -picture from my bad joke. It started to hurt my eyes :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Great, you've done excellent job with it. Now we have to spread the word to Izzy fans across the world. 

You should also take the dumb, meaningless GN'R-personality test, that doesn't mean anything. 

P.S. I removed the pink punchline -picture from my bad joke. It started to hurt my eyes :P

I already did. Got Izzy. Was kinda surprised, I thought I'd get Ned for some reason. :lol:

59 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I already did. Got Izzy. Was kinda surprised, I thought I'd get Ned for some reason. :lol:

Maybe many of us would expect Ned. He's always been closest to " a regular" guy, boy next door -type of the bunch when it comes to personality. He doesn't sound like a rock star when he talks (and that is good thing IMO)

I'm not saying that Izzy is far from that, but he has those quirks we talked about earlier (superstition etc.)  The guy named his band Ju Ju Hounds :lol: 

On the other hand, Duff appears to be more materialistic  than Izzy and of course, Izzy doesn't care about being in the public eye, but Duff seems to be enjoying it. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

4 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Excellent, thanks. That's a great quote.  I think that was their debut album, then came many more. Laura is a transwoman who started out as a male singer for against me and later became Laura. I see the ambiguity must have been totally fascinating to her. I always read the song as putting down the things Guns n Roses lost along the way, with being the UYI circus etc. It is talking about that punk moment and rock n roll straight to your face that I hear with Appetite. It's not an Appetite-UYI debate as I also like UYI. For me the song is something like what is expressed in Pretty Tied Up etoo. "It became a joke - ... went up in smoke"... :shrugs:

I don't know... I think the song is more about the "ideal" GnR and what she fantasized them to be as a kid, because they were never as they are described in the lyrics (like I said before, they had a "fuck you" attitude in the early days but they wanted to make it big, they weren't about diy and all that).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1