anyone surprised how big gnr is again but having released so little music

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Maybe I'm not clear on what exactly you're ranking....but you know where are the Beatles?  Stones?  The who?  Elvis?  

good point the beatles and elvis might sit in a category of their own sort of as the pioneers/legends - stones fall after zeppelin on my list - the who way down, they have limiting riffs and jolts, i'd put acdc above them 

• Like 1

Had to post this. I'm currently out with some friends at a bar. I rarely get to hang with them because they're day drinkers and I'm a night owl but the GnR talk is big in here. Over half the bar has been playing GnR on jukebox and talking about the new leg of the US tour(which isn't stopping here). 

So I played This I Love. A guy walked up and told me he was surprised I had respect for such a beautiful song.

People are singing This I Love and Night Train. The bartender thinks they've lost their mind lol.

She's like I thought Axl hated Slash and that caused another round of talks lol.

I feel like the poor bartender doesn't get out much

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

this tour is completely geared towards the casual/hipster fan that first knows the NAME of the band along with the notoriety that it brings- sweet child welcome and november rain 

I think its aimed at both. Of course I played This I Love because I like it but mainly to see who was more the casual and who knew it. I was surprised to find most knew it where I'm at, of course its a small crowd of varied ages about 40, people but still surprised me. 

A guy played Twat shortly after.

Edited by BOSSY78
Autocorrect sucks

2 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I think its aimed at both. Of course I played This I Love because I like it but mainly to see who was more the casual and who knew it. I was surprised to find most knew it where I'm at, of course its a small crowd of varied ages about 40, people but still surprised me. 

A guy played Twat shortly after.

ok, out of all the songs to play you played the one i hate 

i always shoot for the real obsucre ones like mama kin or aint' the first 

11 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ok, out of all the songs to play you played the one i hate 

i always shoot for the real obsucre ones like mama kin or aint' the first 

Someone already played you ain't the first lol. I had that one in mind. They didn't have Mama Kin on the jukebox.

But many "fans" who only know the hits from AFD or Illusions ask what's Chines Democracy lol. Which is why I chose This I Love. 

Guns N Roses is under top performers on the jukebox here. 

Edited by BOSSY78
Added

What I'm surprised about is how many stupid people there are in the world.

It should come as no Surprise that GNR is doing as great as it is, for one they have better songs than the Stones, (hands down) Sympathy For The Devil is the only Stones song I can listen to because it reminds me of GNR and even that isn't all that great. As for Led Zep, they are very overrated, you've got a handful of songs you hear on the radio like "Stairway To Heaven" "Immigrant Song", "Whole Lotta Love" and maybe 2-3 well known others. GNR on the other hand may not have the complete volume of music, but they made up for it with a lot more listenable music as a whole, the albums were great and they never really boiled down to the hits like it does with Lep zep or the stones. When you listen to GNR you're not listening to one song on a record, you're taking the journey through all of those records, you'd wanna blow your brains out if it were the stones. 

Now if you wanna compare songs vs songs GNR's quality of music is much better because you have anthems & epics you've got songs like:

November Rain,

Its So Easy

Paradise City,

Nightrain,

Welcome To The Jungle,

Sweet Child O' Mine,

Estranged,

Don't Cry,

Patience,

Used To Love Her,

Mr Brownstone,

You Could Be Mine

Civil War,

Knockin' On Heavens Door

I think I would have saved myself some time by just listing off "Appetite For Destruction", GNR Lies, Use Your Illusions 1 & 2. People forget that all things considered in 6 years those were a lot of songs to be known for, and I'm counting that from 1987 when they released Appetite, not to mention it took them several months after leading into '88 to catch on. Compare that with Megan Trainer who is known for All About That Bass and thats already 2 years ago and shes maybe released 3 songs in 1/3rd of the time GNR was famous & making music with so many anthems and epics. GNR were the Rock N' Roll voice for a generation.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tsinindy said:

No, there really aren't.  So, while you want to compare Pink Floyd's hyper-priced stadium tour to GnR's tour that was infinitely cheaper per ticket and covered a larger span of the globe, they aren't the same.   

For the record, the last time Floyd toured was 1994 and the face value of the tickets was $35.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

For the record, the last time Floyd toured was 1994 and the face value of the tickets was $35.

I'll take your word on that....but GnR tix in 1991 were $11.75 for lawn GA and $22.50 reserved pavilion.  At least that's what Deer Creek prices were.  So, $35 is about triple the price of a lawn tixket and over 50% more than a pavilion ticket. Seems like a lot more to me, that's what I meant by hyper-priced.  I also thought Floyd tix were $40 or $50 but I didn't research that any, was trying to go by recollection.

Edited by tsinindy

7 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

$35 then was probably like $100 now - also floyd was selling out stadiums i believe as well

Oh I know, I went to both Detroit shows. I paid face value the first night and scalped 4th row for the second night at $150 a seat. Everyone I knew was OUTRAGED that I would even consider spending $150 on a concert ticket! lol

And yeah, that was an all stadium tour for Floyd.

• Like 1