British Politics

Gracii Guns

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You cannot even get an antibiotic from the NHS now unless you are elderly. My mother steals them from her workplace so we have them stockpiled in case a family member gets the flu severely - no, we don't abuse them before anyone says.

Antibiotics would normally not work against the flu, hence is why you won't easily get it from your doctors. If you did "get the flu severely" and it was verified it was actual a bacterial infection (and not viral, which is usually the case), your doctor would prescribe you antibiotics. 

Senseless use of antibiotic results in multiresistant pathogenic bacteria that cause serious diseases.

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

:facepalm:

That's horrible.

It is dreadful. I had this flu which simply would not go (three weeks plus), and I was going on holiday. I knew the NHS was a complete waste of time so there was no point going there. I only took one-two tablets from my mother's stash which helped my immune system kick in. Problem sorted.  

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Antibiotics would normally not work against the flu, hence is why you won't easily get it from your doctors. If you did "get the flu severely" and it was verified it was actual a bacterial infection (and not viral, which is usually the case), your doctor would prescribe you antibiotics. 

Senseless use of antibiotic results in multiresistant pathogenic bacteria that cause serious diseases.

I think I vouched for that when I said ''no, we don't abuse them before anyone says'' .

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I think I vouched for that when I said ''no, we don't abuse them before anyone says'' .

So someone in your household has a lab for growth of microorganisms so she can identify the infection as either bacterial or viral, AND is a doctor with knowledge on dosing regimes for antibiotics depending upon the pathogenic bacteria infection? Wow. Because if you simply take some antibiotics whenever you have a "severe flu" then chances are high you are indeed abusing them.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So someone in your household has a lab for growth of microorganisms so she can identify the infection as either bacterial or viral, AND is a doctor with knowledge on dosing regimes for antibiotics depending upon the pathogenic bacteria infection? Wow. Because if you simply take some antibiotics whenever you have a "severe flu" then chances are high you are indeed abusing them.

I love the way you presume to know about me.

I do not take them whenever I have a flu. I take them, and I can count on one hand the times I have taken antibiotics throughout my life, when I am three weeks plus into a flu which has me completely incapacitated, during which I have exhausted every non-prescription medicine in existence and there is no evidence of the illness dissipating.

I am the last person to take or request to take antibiotics - trust me (I am a bit of a hippy in that I have a mistrust of the things and put my faith in Chinese/diet practices)

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love the way you presume to know about me.

I do not take them whenever I have a flu. I take them, and I can count on one hand the times I have taken antibiotics throughout my life, when I am three weeks plus into a flu which has me completely incapacitated, during which I have exhausted every non-prescription medicine in existence and there is no evidence of the illness dissipating.

I am the last person to take or request to take antibiotics - trust me (I am a bit of a hippy in that I have a mistrust of the things and put my faith in Chinese/diet practices)

You still should never take antibiotics without consulting with a doctor first. Chances are you only had a viral infection and the drugs did nothing to improve your condition. You also mentioned you took two pills only. Urk. For antibiotics to work properly, you need to finish a complete cure (usually over a couple of weeks), otherwise you are likely to only kill off a fraction of the bacteria (given that you actually have a bacterial infection, which again is usually not the case with the flu). And if you only kill off some of the bacteria, chances are the remaining will develop resistance to the antibiotics. 

So again, please consult with a doctor before self-medicating. You are unlikely to do anything good, and you are likely to increase the threat of multi-resistant bugs which is a SERIOUS problem unlike your 3-week flu hell.

Lastly, antibiotics does not "help your immune system kick in". Antibiotics work independently of your immune system. Basically, we use them whenever our immune system is fighting a losing battle. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

You still should never take antibiotics without consulting with a doctor first. Chances are you only had a viral infection and the drugs did nothing to improve your condition. You also mentioned you took two pills only. Urk. For antibiotics to work properly, you need to finish a complete cure (usually over a couple of weeks), otherwise you are likely to only kill off a fraction of the bacteria (given that you actually have a bacterial infection, which again is usually not the case with the flu). And if you only kill off some of the bacteria, chances are the remaining will develop resistance to the antibiotics. 

So again, please consult with a doctor before self-medicating. You are unlikely to do anything good, and you are likely to increase the threat of multi-resistant bugs which is a SERIOUS problem unlike your 3-week flu hell.

Lastly, antibiotics does not "help your immune system kick in". Antibiotics work independently of your immune system. Basically, we use them whenever our immune system is fighting a losing battle. 

Well they worked for me so all 's well that ends well.

More likely the one-two pills had little effect on recovery. After 3 weeks it was only natural your body would have overcome the infection. 

Not really considering the mass differential before and after, and you usually know when an antibiotic is fighting the infection.

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

For the record, in this part of the UK anyway you can get antibiotics of the NHS.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

No, you don't :) 

With many mild to moderate infections (depending on the antibiotic) people can feel the effects within a day or two.  One of the major issues with antibiotic treatment is that people stop taking them too early because they feel better and assume the infection is gone....but in many cases, some of the "harder to kill" bacteria remains, builds back up and makes the person even sicker than before....then they end up needing an even stronger antibiotic. 

Just now, Kasanova King said:

With many mild to moderate infections (depending on the antibiotic) people can feel the effects within a day or two.  

But that effect is indistinguishable from the effect of your immune system killing the bacteria - except that with antibiotics you might have side effects :lol:

How, do the bacteria scream differently when they are killed by antibiotics than engulfed by the immune system? :lol:

Again I am amazed by your apparent willingness to say the silliest things to not have to admit you are wrong.

The gunk emanating from my nose says otherwise.

Really Soul, if you wanted an argument with me on this fair afternoon you should have just said and we'd have found something more interesting than a couple of pills taken by me to eradicate a dose of the Alan Pardew.

The gunk emanating from my nose says otherwise.

You get that regardless of whether the bacteria die from antibiotics or your own immune system. It is just dead bacteria and cells from the immune system. Again, after 3 weeks of disease, and one-two pills of an unknown antibiotics, you have zero way of knowing whether an instant improvement is caused by the antibiotics doing its work (because you actually have a bacterial infection) or whether it is just your immune system finally overcoming the opposition.

You simply can't distinguish between these two. Again, consult with your doctor before using antibiotics (because too many people take too much antibiotics) and always do a whole cure (because otherwise some very hardy fuckers might remain). I am not saying this as a trivial thing, it is important. I hope your posts on this is more due to you not being able to take good advice form someone who knows what he is talking about, than you actually not understanding what I am saying or fully grasp the gravity of abuse of antibiotics.

As reiterated for the third time I believe: I do not (abuse antibiotics)!! Do you ever listen?

And I am telling you that if you a) take antibiotics without KNOWING it is an bacterial flu and b) only take one-two pills and don't follow a complete cure, then you ARE abusing antibiotics. Jeez. I don't know whether you just don't understand what I am saying or if you actually read it at all :lol: 

Here's another point: Not only do you need to verify that it is actually a bacterial flu and not a viral one before using antibiotics, you also should identify which pathogenic bacterium is causing the disease (or at least assess its antibiotics resistance) before deciding on which antibiotics to use. But forget about this, let's get you to understand the basics first before we venture into more complicated territory.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And I am telling you that if you a) take antibiotics without KNOWING it is an bacterial flu and b) only take one-two pills and don't follow a complete cure, then you ARE abusing antibiotics. Jeez. I don't know whether you just don't understand what I am saying or if you actually read it at all :lol: 

Here's another point: Not only do you need to verify that it is actually a bacterial flu and not a viral one before using antibiotics, you also should identify which pathogenic bacterium is causing the disease (or at least assess its antibiotics resistance) before deciding on which antibiotics to use. But forget about this, let's get you to understand the basics first before we venture into more complicated territory.

As I said, the amount of times I've taken antibiotics can be counted on one hand. I may have taken them less time than you have in fact.

Jesus Soul, stop the smugness for just one day. 

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Irrelevant.

Not really considering you are accusing me of swallowing the things like sweeties when in fact I've barely taken any in my entire life, and in actual fact rather opposed to the taking of heavy duty pharmaceuticals. 

Are you this smug in normal (non-internet) life? Sitting around with your mates watching football and one of them sneezes saying, ''bloody hell, I have a terrible flu''. (Soul) ''Actually you have not got the flu but a bacteria blah blah blah (some boring stuff). That tablet you are about to take is abuse. I suggest you inquire with your doctor before taking it''.