Do You Consider Duff as One of the Best Bass Players?

McKagan's roots are punk. The problem with being a punk is at some stage, usually in your thirties, you might meet a woman who likes big houses and armani bags, and with whom you produce Californian brats for children who also are very demanding financially. Your life becomes inherently enslaved to monetisation, making the abandonment of true punk ethics all but inevitable. With the onset of this, you have two lifestyle paths to take: either stay true to your punk ideology and end up like GG Allin or start filming those butter and insurance commercials - those armani bags will not pay for themselves after all!

No musical movement produces hypocrites quite like punk does, through the holistic nihilism of its original intent, its anti-capitalism, its debauched griminess, its garage rock 'DIY' aesthetics. 

You could argue Duff sold out the minute he appeared on 'November Rain'. You could even argue he sold out the minute he joined Guns N' Roses. It is after all frequently said the Pistols sold out the day they signed with a major label. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Distinctive- and iconic in terms of Guns. Have never heard Duff mentioned among the all-time technical greats though. Hardly a bass “historian”- but I would venture he’s Top 20- but closer to 20 than 10.

That said- he played bass on Appetite- and that’s pretty much all that fucking matters.😎

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

On 11/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, Towelie said:

Let's face it, the bass is hardly a difficult instrument to play. A chimp could learn most bass parts in the GNR catalogue. Unless you're Larry Graham, Flea or Bootsy Collins, then I wouldn't say any bass player is underrated.

Bass hardly a difficult instrument to play...really??????   just because (some)  basses have less strings then a guitar doesnt make it any easier...im guessing you dont play bass?????   try playing at Geddy Lees speed or Steve Harris speed and then tell me "Bass is hardly a difficult instrument to play" 

as to the original question to this post id like to say Duff is a good Bass player he has unique sound and odd timing Which NOT EVERYONE or as you say "chimp"  could just learn ....most people miss or dont even hear his unique fill ins...i agree with most who say he is the best bass player for Guns N' Roses.