Favorite stones album after Tattoo You?

Fashionista

Favorite Stones album after Tattoo You?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always rather liked Babylon best. 'Out of Control' and 'Saint of Me' are from the top drawer while 'Flick the Switch' and 'Lowdown' are also very good. Voodoo Lounge is solid if unspectacular; I like the Keith numbers on that. The blues album was decent stuff but I only played it a couple of times. Steel Wheels is alright but they did the Phil Collins production number on it. I didn't care for A Bigger Bang. I just didn't like that album. I found the songwriting weak. The two earlier albums are 80s cack.

I'd go,

1. Babylon

2. Voodoo

3. Steel Wheels

4. Blue and Lonesome

5. A Bigger Bang

6. Dirty Work

7. Undercover

PS

I used to have Dirty Work on one of those black 1980s cassettes, second hand minus cover. It looked like it had been shoved up somebody's arse it was that grubby which is probably where that album deserves to be. Rather glad it didn't have the cover mind as it featured the stones auditioning for Miami Vice,

240070532.v1471770240.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Steel Wheels is alright but they did the Phil Collins production number on it.

have you ever checked the steel wheels studio sessions?

there are quite a few CDs that surfaced on the last 5 or 10 years if i am not mistaken

they are a bit more raw and they have a few extra songs

117341634-2.jpg

if i am not mistaken there are various CDs with 3 or 4 different sessions with songs on different stages in each one

worth checking

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

have you ever checked the steel wheels studio sessions?

there are quite a few CDs that surfaced on the last 5 or 10 years if i am not mistaken

they are a bit more raw and they have a few extra songs

117341634-2.jpg

if i am not mistaken there are various CDs with 3 or 4 different sessions with songs on different stages in each one

worth checking

I will do. I've a lot of stones boot but I've never explored the steel wheels stuff.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I will do. I've a lot of stones boot but I've never explored the steel wheels stuff.

theres also 13 CDS worthy of recording sessions for Voodoo Lounge that have some good stuff on it too, including unreleased tracks (1 or 2 of them were actually taken by keith for his last solo album), also worthy checking = http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/vigo.html

i suppose you know this place iorr where there is more stones boots here than anyone will ever need = https://iorr.org/talk/list.php?2

i took about 2 years to leave that place once i found it i downloaded so many stones boots that i never had the time to listen to them all hahahaha

8 hours ago, username said:

This might be a bit odd, but the greatest rock and roll band in the world is at the absolute top of their game when they're playing the blues. Blue And Lonesome was my favorite Stones album since Some Girls. Maybe even since Exile. 

I disagree.  Though they do a bang up job and it sounds great and everything I don't think its as good as Some Girls or Goats Head or even Its Only Rock n Roll.  It suffers from like...though its great, sounds great...I immediately find myself making comparisons with the originals and they just don't measure up or take em somewhere else substantial enough for me to be like, OK, wow, thats exceptional.

Mind you, you're pissing in the wind if you think you're gonna try and out-do the original Blue and Lonesome, that song gives me shivers.

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

theres also 13 CDS worthy of recording sessions for Voodoo Lounge that have some good stuff on it too, including unreleased tracks (1 or 2 of them were actually taken by keith for his last solo album), also worthy checking = http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/vigo.html

i suppose you know this place iorr where there is more stones boots here than anyone will ever need = https://iorr.org/talk/list.php?2

i took about 2 years to leave that place once i found it i downloaded so many stones boots that i never had the time to listen to them all hahahaha

I have a load of Voodoo Lounge stuff (I think one is called Voodoo Soup). It features Keith doing a cover of The Beatles' 'Please Please Me',

A lot of this was recorded at Ron's house in Ireland.

34 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I disagree.  Though they do a bang up job and it sounds great and everything I don't think its as good as Some Girls or Goats Head or even Its Only Rock n Roll.  It suffers from like...though its great, sounds great...I immediately find myself making comparisons with the originals and they just don't measure up or take em somewhere else substantial enough for me to be like, OK, wow, thats exceptional.

Mind you, you're pissing in the wind if you think you're gonna try and out-do the original Blue and Lonesome, that song gives me shivers.

I can't argue with anything you've said there. But for reasons that can not be accurately (or reasonably) explained there's not much that makes me smile as much as hearing the Stones play the blues. That's the thing with Blue and Lonesome, it just makes me happy. 

I had sort of the same realization with seeing the Stones live a few weeks ago. I've seen nearly all my musical heroes that I could without timetravel. And a lot were objectively better than the Stones. But none of them makes me smile as much. Nor do they make me as excited and nervous as an 8 year old on his birthday. That's just the Stones. 

• Like 1

Good raw little album and probably the best sounding Stones album in years, but it is just a covers record; I tend not to get too exploratory of covers albums (case in point The Spaghetti Incident which I've listened to about twice in my life, promptly realising it is absolute tripe). I like what I heard though. It deserves a few more plays from me to be honest - probably pick it up second hand at some stage.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 11/6/2017 at 12:29 PM, Len Cnut said:

Thoughts on this one? It's the last track they recorded (that's been leaked anyway) where Brian is playing guitar. Keith is the more "rocky" slide. Brian is the more traditional blues slide in the right channel. Recorded late 1968.

Edited by Fashionista