Was Gilby Clarke ever in the talks about joining Velvet Revolver

1 hour ago, OTHAFA said:

Kushner was jamming with Slash and Duff in the very, very early stages of what VR would become, after Slash, Duff and Matt reconnected at the Randy Castillo benefit show. He was essentially in on the ground floor of the formation of the band so with that – and considering that the early plan was to have Izzy involved as well – there really would have been no room for Gilby.

Yea and Dave had to be there because there was always the possibility that Izzy wouldn't stick around. Which he didn't. If Izzy stayed they would've probably went with the 3 guitar attack and it would've worked as all three add different layers of sound. It would've been great especially with Izzy continuing to help write the songs

3 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

@Blackstar

Have you ever encountered any interview from VR members mentioning Gilby in the context?

--

By the way, someone here mentioned that first VR show was with Izzy - is that true?

No, there was no Gilby mention in the interviews I've read.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Izzy was gone before VR did their first show. Moreover, as the interview states, the lineup with Dave Kushner was already formed when Izzy joined them at a rehearsals' stage and they were rehearsing with three guitarists.

21 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

@Blackstar

Have you ever encountered any interview from VR members mentioning Gilby in the context?

--

By the way, someone here mentioned that first VR show was with Izzy - is that true?

That was the smash box thing they did. Not really a show. It was acoustic. They played You got no right and a brilliant cover of Angie. Izzy left shortly after

First official VR show was ate El Rey Theater I'm Hollywood. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

No, there was no Gilby mention in the interviews I've read.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Izzy was gone before VR did their first show. Moreover, as the interview states, the lineup with Dave Kushner was already formed when Izzy joined them at a rehearsals' stage and they were rehearsing with three guitarists.

If I recall correctly, the first VR show was in London, England - showcased in the 'Rise of Velvet Revolver Documentary on VH1'.

Jimmy Page attended it. And it was 5-piece line-up. 

Is it?

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

First official VR show was ate El Rey Theater I'm Hollywood. 

If I recall correctly, the first VR show was in London, England - showcased in the 'Rise of Velvet Revolver Documentary on VH1'.

--

If not, where did you find that info?

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Everyone keeps saying they didn't want to be Guns N' Roses 2.0 but Izzy was part of it for awhile and played with them during there first live appearance... I though Kush was good in VR but I also think Slash and Gilby had some good Chemistry. The songs they did together on Pawnshop Guitars and IFOS were pretty bad ass..

Love Gilby's records. Certainly better then anything Fortus has put out. Fortus is a better lead player though. Infinity more valuable in replacing Slash and Bucketheads parts. 

I can see Fortus leaving to join another band after securing his bank account. One where he will have a bigger role again. 

The synergy live between Slash and Gilby would be just fine for this band 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Jimmy Page attended it. And it was 5-piece line-up. 

Is it?

--

If not, where did you find that info?

I was there. 2004 I think?🙂

No the Show Page attended was much later. When they toured Europe the first time in 2005.  After the release of Contraband and the North America tour debut.

They brought Izzy onstage for Its so easy. That's probably what you are referring to

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I knew Dave & Duff had some history. Just seemed odd to not go with Gilby anyway. 

Scott Weiland loved Dave. They knew each other and shared the same stage. He always had an admiration for his playing even before STP formed. Spoke very highly of Dave right up to his death. And as was mentioned He and Slash went to high school together. Duff brought him into Loaded because the Loaded guys went back to their band, Alien Crime Syndicate, to make a new album and tour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zombux said:

same about Scott Weiland actually. they just wanted something that wasn't GNR, I guess.

Maybe Scott felt that way but they would've loved GNR 2.0 with Izzy involved or the evolution of GNR. GNR 2.0 is kinda dumb.

but you know these guys lie and go with the flow. Of course they are going to say Rey didn't want this to be GNR 2.0 after Izzy had already bolted. 

With Gilby it would be no where near GNR. Only a step above your local bar band.(Don't want to offend any Bad Company fans again lol) 

Scott did refer to it as Bad Company and not in a good way. 

Scott probably dug Bad Company but all of them wanted to do something new and try to break new ground at that point in their career. 

They would've done it with Axl. Take GNR and UYI to the next level except they knew it was impossible to get Axl to wrap it up

3 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Well that doesnt explain anything... Its not like gilby would have a major songwiriting input/influence... I doubt even kushner did - which means his involvement isnt conducive to non-GNR sound...

So....

Dave wrote Illegal eye. Put on both VR records and with headphones only listen to the left side. Same as you do with AFD and Izzy. It helps Better understand Dave's involvement and contributions to VR's modern sound. Slither, Superhuman etc

Did Kushner play the benefit show? From Duff's book it sounded like he was involved in the early stages, and the whole thing came about from the benefit show, so the band was really set from the start, there was no opening for anyone except a lead singer and they'd likely make room for Izzy if he wanted in.

38 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

That was the smash box thing they did. Not really a show. It was acoustic. They played You got no right and a brilliant cover of Angie. Izzy left shortly after

25 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

They brought Izzy onstage for Its so easy. That's probably what you are referring to

What do you mean by that? So they brought Izzy for that acoustic show or their first show in El Rey Theatre? 

Is there a YouTube video of You Got No Right and Angie - as you said?

10 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Maybe Scott felt that way but they would've loved GNR 2.0 with Izzy involved or the evolution of GNR. GNR 2.0 is kinda dumb.

Is this contradictory or is the italicized your opinion?

11 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

They would've done it with Axl. Take GNR and UYI to the next level except they knew it was impossible to get Axl to wrap it up

What?? Why would Scott want Axl in VR? 

Or am I missing something between the lines?

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The earliest incarnation of VR was meant to be the second coming of Buckcherry.

Slash had been a fan going back to their first album and eagerly snatched them up after the band broke up following the second album, Time Bomb.

Them being singer Josh Todd and guitarist Keith Nelson. So, I have to believe that Nelson was the original intended guitar player. Whether they ever really wanted him - he came as a package deal with Todd- is a matter for debate, as Slash has gone on record as saying that Keith had no rhythm sensibilities. He played the same parts at the same time as Slash, basically doubling the Marshall sound.

Izzy came after that and after that, came Dave Kushner.

Yea Kushner was Izzy with a modern twist with his Tom Morello like use of effects. Remember these guys were all very much into Rage, Audioslave, Soundgarden, James Addiction & NIN

43 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

It's pretty obvious none of the guys ever considered making music with Gilby.  It's not just Axl.

Slash did, Gilby was part of the first Snakepit and wrote songs (Monkey Chow is one off the top of my head) and they played Cure Me Or Kill Me and Tijuana Jail at the shows.

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Dave wrote Illegal eye. Put on both VR records and with headphones only listen to the left side. Same as you do with AFD and Izzy. It helps Better understand Dave's involvement and contributions to VR's modern sound. Slither, Superhuman etc

IMO that's Velvet Revolver's worst song but Dave also wrote/co-wrote You Got No Right which is one of my favorites.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl would have liked Dave Kushner had he known him in the 90s or Duff/Slash had brought him in GnR.

Nah, he would have said his guy Paul was so much better :P

1 minute ago, scooby845 said:

What do you mean by that? So they brought Izzy for that acoustic show or their first show in El Rey Theatre? 

Is there a YouTube video of You Got No Right and Angie - as you said?

Is this contradictory or is the italicized your opinion?

What?? Why would Scott want Axl in VR? 

Or am I missing something between the lines?

No They had Izzy guest on Easy for that London show Kimmy Page attended. Izzy was long gone by then.

As for Axl I'm not talking about him in VR. I'm talking about something else. What I am am trying to say is Slash duff and Matt would've had no problem modernizing and evolving the GNR sound with Axl. They just didn't want to sit in a studio for 20yrs. So they did it with Scott and Dave in a much more efficient way

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl would have liked Dave Kushner had he known him in the 90s or Duff/Slash had brought him in GnR.

Absolutely. He would've saved GNR. He fits because like Izzy and Gilby he is low key and fine with being in the background. Unlike Finck, Bucket, Ashba,Bumble, Zakk Wylde, Keith Nelson etc

8 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Yeah, maybe :lol: But seriously, Paul wouldn't have become a full GnR member (for long, at least, as it turned out to be) even if Axl wanted him to, because he wouldn't tour with them, so the second guitar position was open. I think Axl wanted him in the studio as a shadow or aiding member.

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Absolutely. He would've saved GNR. He fits because like Izzy and Gilby he is low key and fine with being in the background. Unlike Finck, Bucket, Ashba,Bumble, Zakk Wylde, Keith Nelson etc

Yes, combined with that his style is more modern, as Axl wanted.

Edited by Blackstar

16 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Did Kushner play the benefit show? From Duff's book it sounded like he was involved in the early stages, and the whole thing came about from the benefit show, so the band was really set from the start, there was no opening for anyone except a lead singer and they'd likely make room for Izzy if he wanted in.

Yea he was with duff in Loaded. I'm sure duff told him to be ready 

Side note.  Whoa; I just realized the Kushner and Robert Trujillo of Metallica played in Infectious Grooves together!!  Robert is a replacement member in Metallica whereas Kushner wasnt a replacement exactly with the GNR guys, but its like Infectious Grooves were the farm team for these two mammoth bands.

8 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Slash did, Gilby was part of the first Snakepit and wrote songs (Monkey Chow is one off the top of my head) and they played Cure Me Or Kill Me and Tijuana Jail at the shows.

IMO that's Velvet Revolver's worst song but Dave also wrote/co-wrote You Got No Right which is one of my favorites.

Yea Gilby was in Snakepit but Snakepit wasn't a serious band. Slash might've been stoned and drunk enough to think it would be something bigger than it became. 

Most likely he did Snakepit because he wanted to be an active band again

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Side note.  Whoa; I just realized the Kushner and Robert Trujillo of Metallica played in Infectious Grooves together!!  Robert is a replacement member in Metallica whereas Kushner wasnt a replacement exactly with the GNR guys, but its like Infectious Grooves were the farm team for these two mammoth bands.

Yup. You don't get in bands like Wasted Youth and Infectious grooves and make music if you are some bum touring guitarist. 

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I knew Dave & Duff had some history. Just seemed odd to not go with Gilby anyway. 

IMO Gilby would've been a better pick. Of all the post Izzy rhythm guitarists Slash has worked with, both in n' out of GN'R, Gilby is the one IMO Slash sounds best with. 

Is it possible Gilby wasn't considered for VR because the wounds of him suing GN'R in 1996 were still too fresh for Slash & Duff?