Gardening

Gracii Guns

20 hours ago, cineater said:

I went to the grocery store and hardly anybody was there.  Helps to wait until the panic is over.  No toilet paper.  Some guy was looking at the very few napkins left, lol.  I bought double what I normally get so I can be here for awhile now and eat good.  My cupboards haven't been this full since the kid moved out.

I already have word out the flats are coming.  They won't last long.  I don't know why all this has to be such a big secret but I've been in secret distribution before and I can move some shit.  And then Joe calls and wants the veggies.  He's selling them in another county.  Great, I just told people they were getting them.  We have a phone conference tomorrow to talk about the plant sales.  I'm kind of tired of talking about it, lol.

All this baby lettuce makes me hungry for a salad!  That yogurt snack sounds good.  Wedding cake taste testing got cancelled.

Right about 3 we had two peas size hail storms pass through.  Loud but I still have my roof, darn it.  Good thing I told Sandy and she covered her new plants with boxes last night.

I hope that napkin dude doesnt clog his plumbing! I wish I would have got more fresh produce, but it would have taken more time than I had to use it/preserve it before it went bad. Glad you are all set!

Having the fresh produce must make you extra popular? haha. You were in the same secret distribution as I was?? That reminds me, there used to be a small scale organic market farm here called The Veggie Underground. Love it! lol

Get your salad on! I made some tasty croutons the other day. Its so sad for you and your daughter about the wedding. Caleb too. Did she sell the motorbike?

Spring hale storms are the worst for plants, good looking out. 

Seems like everyone in Canada gets stimulus spending or hand outs except for the poor.... go figure. Well, I will still take the savings that only a frugal millennial could manage to squirrel away in the crappy economy that was handed to us and invest more in my indoor garden operation, solar and general self-sustainability. Long after the drones have used our tax dollars to catch up on payments for their gaudy McMansions and are once again 'cash poor', I will still be ahead of the game - just even further then before. When they low ball me on gig work, that will be 100% pure cash money in my hand. And then Ill start high balling their chefs for my greens... :headbang:

Let me tell you it was loud.  I'm trying to convince somebody to go check out the greenhouse.  The only people allowed on property seem to forget we have lights in there that can't be wet.  I know Marsha is tired but she seems determined to leave some plants behind.  I'm 5 minutes away, bring all that shit to me.  I would have had it cleaned out in a day.  We can pay a company to put up a tarp if we have holes.  I'm pretty sure if we got holes it was only a few.  

I'm content to stay at home.  Today I'm cleaning up my pots for spray painting.  I'm thinking do my big pot in the yellow and the littler pots in yellow and purple.  What do you think?  Or maybe do the big one in purple?  The really big one is staying terra cotta for the moment, I'm already planting in it.

Secret distributions.  :lol:  Wasn't me.

The wedding isn't cancelled yet but it's on hold.  The dark cloud hasn't descended.  They are worried about everybody at this point.  Still have the motorcycle.  Hers is paid for, they should sell his and get out from under the debt.  Get some room in the garage so that new truck gets out of the hail storm.  He ran out last night and took her spot in the garage since she was at work. :lol:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Let me tell you it was loud.  I'm trying to convince somebody to go check out the greenhouse.  The only people allowed on property seem to forget we have lights in there that can't be wet.  I know Marsha is tired but she seems determined to leave some plants behind.  I'm 5 minutes away, bring all that shit to me.  I would have had it cleaned out in a day.  We can pay a company to put up a tarp if we have holes.  I'm pretty sure if we got holes it was only a few.  

I'm content to stay at home.  Today I'm cleaning up my pots for spray painting.  I'm thinking do my big pot in the yellow and the littler pots in yellow and purple.  What do you think?  Or maybe do the big one in purple?  The really big one is staying terra cotta for the moment, I'm already planting in it.

Secret distributions.  :lol:  Wasn't me.

The wedding isn't cancelled yet but it's on hold.  The dark cloud hasn't descended.  They are worried about everybody at this point.  Still have the motorcycle.  Hers is paid for, they should sell his and get out from under the debt.  Get some room in the garage so that new truck gets out of the hail storm.  He ran out last night and took her spot in the garage since she was at work. :lol:

Oh shoot - I didn't even think about possible damage to the greenhouse! Oh no! I also hope you can get the rest of those plants.

Id likely paint the larger pots in two colours because its easier to fit. Shows what a lousy painter I am! :lol:

Yeah theres so many different points of consideration for cancelling the wedding or not. It will be a tale to share for generations to come. Oh the poor truck. Well, now its St Louis road tested at least. lol

I didnt sleep at all last night so my micro greens might wait till tomorrow. Since its new and I have to make trays with holes and watch tutorials... maybe by this evening I will have my focus.

I want to beat their asses, lol.  I'm 5 minutes from the greenhouse, there is no reason I can't run up to an empty place and take a look.  Little people on power trips.  They'll go but not until 4 and it's going to rain at 7.  Not enough time to call in a crew and throw a tarp over it folks before people get off at 5.  I would have been up there at daylight, lol.  We did agree they would load up the rest of the shit in the greenhouse and bring it to me.  Which I could have done but they want to drive a half an hour to get there and then come social distance from me.

My friend is giving me shit for going to my doctor appointment.  You know, he's a doctor, he should know if he's sick.  And then the drunk guy comes riding down the street on his scooter, lol.  I'm going to take a car ride at some point and turn these people off. :lol:

2 hours ago, cineater said:

I want to beat their asses, lol.  I'm 5 minutes from the greenhouse, there is no reason I can't run up to an empty place and take a look.  Little people on power trips.  They'll go but not until 4 and it's going to rain at 7.  Not enough time to call in a crew and throw a tarp over it folks before people get off at 5.  I would have been up there at daylight, lol.  We did agree they would load up the rest of the shit in the greenhouse and bring it to me.  Which I could have done but they want to drive a half an hour to get there and then come social distance from me.

My friend is giving me shit for going to my doctor appointment.  You know, he's a doctor, he should know if he's sick.  And then the drunk guy comes riding down the street on his scooter, lol.  I'm going to take a car ride at some point and turn these people off. :lol:

With your shady passed Im sure you know how to pick the lock to the greenhouse? :P j/k. I cant stand little people on power trips. I really hope theres no holes in the roof. My dream is to have a large scale garden operation with a huge greenhouse in the middle of nowhere, and no one will ever know about it :lol: I cant wait for you to get the rest of the plants and be rid of these goons for a spell.

You're gonna go share the road with the drunken scooter guy?? You're not thinking of playing a round of chicken with him I hope? :lol:

My new seeds are in-hand! Ive made my bottom water trays out of two mushroom bins, as per your awesome idea! And like I thought, I am too tired and dazed to get started. Im just gonna make shallow fried lentil fritters and enjoy them with the dill-yogurt dip I made. And hope I dont pass out and face plant into it, toddler-style! lol

Edited by soon

So did you get your second wind and plant those up? :lol:  Hope you didn't drown in your dip!  You'll have something to look forward to tomorrow.

I have a plan and I could be in there right quick if I wanted to piss them off.  Right now I'm just reminding them they want to be the important one, I'm fine with that, just do your fucking job!  I ran around and delivered my salad bowls today, people loved them.

They've realized if they don't let us plant the veggies at the garden there won't be 3000 pounds of produce going over to the food pantry and that is not going to look good.  The library cancelled all the May tours and I expect they will cancel June too.

Cancelled the wedding dress alteration.  I think I will send her a bride box.

So did you get your second wind and plant those up? :lol:  Hope you didn't drown in your dip!  You'll have something to look forward to tomorrow.

I have a plan and I could be in there right quick if I wanted to piss them off.  Right now I'm just reminding them they want to be the important one, I'm fine with that, just do your fucking job!  I ran around and delivered my salad bowls today, people loved them.

They've realized if they don't let us plant the veggies at the garden there won't be 3000 pounds of produce going over to the food pantry and that is not going to look good.  The library cancelled all the May tours and I expect they will cancel June too.

Cancelled the wedding dress alteration.  I think I will send her a bride box.

I might be getting a second wind. Those fritters ended up being like the crispy, greasy skin of KFC! And that got me going :lol: I had to force myself to use the yogurt dip, lol. But the evening is for starting bread and other ferments.

I can only imagine how happy people were to receive their salad bowls! I hope the greenhouse is sorted by now?

Thats so sad about the pantry donation. These days are so trying.

Sorry to hear about the dress cancellation. I figure a bride box is a nice box in which to keep things like the wedding dress?

The bride box is just a bunch of bride little goodies.  I already got her a chest for her keepsakes.  Unfortunately, it has the date on it and that's subject to change.  She texted me a picture of a dead shirt she got spammed with because I watched those concerts.  She likes it, lol.  Told her she was turning into a deadhead.  She says it's in her blood.  She's stressing a little over all the sick people.  Picking up extra shifts.  If I'm dying of some contagious virus, the last place I want my family is in the middle of the cesspool, stay away from me, I'm okay with my nurse.

I don't think Justin went by and checked on the greenhouse because he didn't say anything and didn't bring me plants.  He's assigned to a state group trying to figure out how to give farmers a letter so they are authorized to move about in public.  Okay, I can crank that out for you in a couple of minutes however, this isn't a nazi state and that's a total waste of time.  And if they aren't at the co op, they are in their fields this time of year.  Rural communities know who their fucking farmers are.  Okay, we're getting into that I don't want to talk about it, lol.

But the greenhouse, if we have a serious storm I can look at it from the apartment complex across the creek.  If last night's storm caused damage, it was minor.

I did drop the grandkids by some plants to put in.  My granddaughter will eat right out of the garden.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

The bride box is just a bunch of bride little goodies.  I already got her a chest for her keepsakes.  Unfortunately, it has the date on it and that's subject to change.  She texted me a picture of a dead shirt she got spammed with because I watched those concerts.  She likes it, lol.  Told her she was turning into a deadhead.  She says it's in her blood.  She's stressing a little over all the sick people.  Picking up extra shifts.  If I'm dying of some contagious virus, the last place I want my family is in the middle of the cesspool, stay away from me, I'm okay with my nurse.

I don't think Justin went by and checked on the greenhouse because he didn't say anything and didn't bring me plants.  He's assigned to a state group trying to figure out how to give farmers a letter so they are authorized to move about in public.  Okay, I can crank that out for you in a couple of minutes however, this isn't a nazi state and that's a total waste of time.  And if they aren't at the co op, they are in their fields this time of year.  Rural communities know who their fucking farmers are.  Okay, we're getting into that I don't want to talk about it, lol.

But the greenhouse, if we have a serious storm I can look at it from the apartment complex across the creek.  If last night's storm caused damage, it was minor.

I did drop the grandkids by some plants to put in.  My granddaughter will eat right out of the garden.

She's a deadhead - you've raised her well. She's a rockstar too, taking extra shifts! But yeah, if you get sick we are pulling her out and she'll be your private nurse. 

A lot of farmers around here find themselves tightly bound by insurance. Not necessarily their own insurance itself, which is often the Cooperators and is good for farmers. But when the farms are contracted to the big guys. Say like , KFC, they have to follow strict rules as part of KFCs insurance and stipulations. Im merely speculating, but I wonder if that type of issue makes some farmers extra/overly cautious in the current uncertainty? That said, Im with you, I cant imagine an .... officer of the law, punishing a framer for driving the combine back to the neighbours (so long as the farmers are anglophone and white). But again I digress, yes working out a 'hall pass' system for farmers is a waste of time! Justin should bring you the plants. Thats real world shit. Thats actually addressing the crisis.

Think of all the joy and nutrition you've spread throughout your community with the salad bowls!! :) Little people on power trips cant take that away. They cant tarnish it. Heck, they cant even comprehend good stuff like that! lol It all flies by them unawares as they plot against their neighbours. :facepalm::lol:

I wish I could see your granddaughter munching away from the garden! haha

Microgreens is anti-climatic this morning. I forgot that I need to soak the peas for at least 12 hours. So, we're off. Yay... peas in water. For hours... Now this is how to pass the time in isolation! :lol:

Edited by soon

Dang it, you'll get to play with them tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure those big windows in your house need cleaning and all the baseboards need dusting.  Not to mention tops of picture frames.  Did you see how nice and clean the video's growing area was?  Look around, you have more work then you have time. :lol:

Okay, I'll admit it, I can be sneaky and manipulative. :lol:  I need the cover taken off the perennial bed.  And since we aren't allowed to step foot on campus, I'm going to send the neighbor up there.  There's no closed sign for the property and we are known as come walk around anytime.  I'll just have her make it look like the wind blew it off.

We have big storms all day but it's looking like it's going to slide by on either side of me.  All the plants are on the driveway.  I've got Joe about to bug Justin to bring me over the rest of the plants.

Dang it, you'll get to play with them tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure those big windows in your house need cleaning and all the baseboards need dusting.  Not to mention tops of picture frames.  Did you see how nice and clean the video's growing area was?  Look around, you have more work then you have time. :lol:

Okay, I'll admit it, I can be sneaky and manipulative. :lol:  I need the cover taken off the perennial bed.  And since we aren't allowed to step foot on campus, I'm going to send the neighbor up there.  There's no closed sign for the property and we are known as come walk around anytime.  I'll just have her make it look like the wind blew it off.

We have big storms all day but it's looking like it's going to slide by on either side of me.  All the plants are on the driveway.  I've got Joe about to bug Justin to bring me over the rest of the plants.

I swear on my to-do list for the day it reads: "Clean windows, window and door frames, picture frames and light fixtures." Look at me adulting! But as for my grow space - you see, thats an eco-system. I wouldnt want to disrupt the eco-system by removing any of the crud and gunk :lol:

I love your plan. Following the rules that you arent allowed, but seizing the chance to send in a civilian! :headbang::lol: Sounds like what my favourite fictional criminal mastermind would do! (Red Redington from the tv show The Blacklist). I hope that pans out!

Hope the storm miss's you too. You got enough to worry about caring for all those plants.

You're all grown up.  But I'm buying into lets don't disturb the ecosystem already in place. :lol:

Donna was on it and the cover was removed.  No Justin with the remainder plants yet.  Not that I thought he would do it today but Joe thought so.  We're rain covered now so he's got an excuse.  I have the plants lined up at the doors and on the trunk of the car so I can open the garage doors when it's not raining.  Started more marigolds.  My cool season crops are staying out in the spring rain but I'm standing by in case it hails again.  I can have them under cover real quick.

That squaw weed is a native.  It's a good little ground cover.  I'll let you be surprised when it blooms next week.  It is an early bloomer and then goes to ground cover for the rest of the year.  I think that little blue flower is some kind of aster.  It grows wild around my place.  The yellow bush is a forsythia. 

You're all grown up.  But I'm buying into lets don't disturb the ecosystem already in place. :lol:

Donna was on it and the cover was removed.  No Justin with the remainder plants yet.  Not that I thought he would do it today but Joe thought so.  We're rain covered now so he's got an excuse.  I have the plants lined up at the doors and on the trunk of the car so I can open the garage doors when it's not raining.  Started more marigolds.  My cool season crops are staying out in the spring rain but I'm standing by in case it hails again.  I can have them under cover real quick.

That squaw weed is a native.  It's a good little ground cover.  I'll let you be surprised when it blooms next week.  It is an early bloomer and then goes to ground cover for the rest of the year.  I think that little blue flower is some kind of aster.  It grows wild around my place.  The yellow bush is a forsythia. 

:lol:

Well, at least that meant that Justin didnt stumble across Donna in the act! hehe. Also, go Donna :headbang: Thats a great idea using the edge of the garage to save you the hassle of moving things constantly! I hate the thought that you might have to run out not the hale though. And dont slip!!

Cant wait to see the new blooms on the native plant! I'm all pleased with myself because Ive heard the word "forsythia" before :lol: I'll look to plant one of those someday.

Cleaned the windows and frames!! Now Im finalizing my orders for next month. Soils, lights, fertilizers, more seeds.

You are going to town.

Justin came through for us.  He bought over two truck beds full.  No idea what I got.  I'll organize and inventory tomorrow.  The greenhouse is empty and my garage is full.  I'm in real danger of being attacked by bunnies!

I keep forgetting the Dead concert on Friday night.  At one point they had almost 10,000 watchers.

Edited by cineater

15 hours ago, cineater said:

You are going to town.

Justin came through for us.  He bought over two truck beds full.  No idea what I got.  I'll organize and inventory tomorrow.  The greenhouse is empty and my garage is full.  I'm in real danger of being attacked by bunnies!

I keep forgetting the Dead concert on Friday night.  At one point they had almost 10,000 watchers.

Thats great about you getting the rest of the plants! Those bunnies come in large numbers too - watch your 6!! :lol:

You're garage is "full" is an understatement!! What all did ya get?

Oh shoot, the dead show! Man! Is this Fridays still up?

I also forgot to soak my pea seeds :facepalm::lol:. Because they want 12 hours I was to start them soaking right before bed. I was very tired when I went to bed though so I forgot. Sheesh, micro greens aint even real gardening and I botched even that! :monkey:

Edited by soon

I got everything but lettuces.  I'm putting the word out and people can come shop my driveway.  The one side of the garage will have to stay in today because I don't want to confuse people and have them think those are for sale.  I keep far away from people.  When they hand me money, I put it in an envelope and then wash my hands.  No way I'm doing an individual plant inventory.  They came over to me all mixed up so I had to organize them.  I'm not a licensed seller so it's whatever people want to donate and how many plants I can stick them with. :lol:  Every plant needs a home.

You've got time.  Tell Beeker to remind you.  My girls are super excited about all the plants.  They just need to get out there and defend me from the bunnies!

I got everything but lettuces.  I'm putting the word out and people can come shop my driveway.  The one side of the garage will have to stay in today because I don't want to confuse people and have them think those are for sale.  I keep far away from people.  When they hand me money, I put it in an envelope and then wash my hands.  No way I'm doing an individual plant inventory.  They came over to me all mixed up so I had to organize them.  I'm not a licensed seller so it's whatever people want to donate and how many plants I can stick them with. :lol:  Every plant needs a home.

You've got time.  Tell Beeker to remind you.  My girls are super excited about all the plants.  They just need to get out there and defend me from the bunnies!

Nice! I hope people show up and give those plants homes. Especially so you dat have to care for so many!! After they pay you can let them know that its buy one get one, and then give them twice as many plants :lol:

Beaker is so unreliable tho :lol: Do you figure it'll be Simone or Lily who brings you their first bunny??

It's been like a garage sale here, lol.  People want any excuse to take a drive.  Very windy out there and I could easily be in my shorts.  My honey connection came by.  I've been taking one teaspoon of honey a day and he says it's two.  You take it just for good measure.  It does so many wonderful things.

Baby bunnies aren't out yet but it's a toss up on who will be first.  The girls have started tolerating each other just because they are passing coming and going from outside.  And then there's male cats they team up on.  Both are hunting and well aware they could be hunted.

It's been like a garage sale here, lol.  People want any excuse to take a drive.  Very windy out there and I could easily be in my shorts.  My honey connection came by.  I've been taking one teaspoon of honey a day and he says it's two.  You take it just for good measure.  It does so many wonderful things.

Baby bunnies aren't out yet but it's a toss up on who will be first.  The girls have started tolerating each other just because they are passing coming and going from outside.  And then there's male cats they team up on.  Both are hunting and well aware they could be hunted.

Sounds like the sale is going great. Awesome! I wish I had a honey connection. Yeah, honey is so powerful!

They team up on the boys? haha. 

Hope theres extra veggies left for you. 

My containers are full of veggies.  I'm growing lettuce and cabbage in my hanging baskets.  The bunnies can't get to those.  My patio shelves don't get enough sun this time a year so the containers have to come back in every night for protection.

Fortunately, I didn't catch much of the news this weekend.  It's kind of nice to have a break from it.  I have one more person coming tomorrow and then I'm done with seeing people.  When it's all said and done, I think we are all going to end up being compulsive hand washers.

I have feral male cats all over the place.  Haven't seen my two regulars the last couple of days.

I'm having second thoughts about our pantry beds.  Even if we get them planted, who is going to harvest the food and run it over to the food pantry?  Will the food pantry even stay open and do they want fresh produce from home growers?  Most the people we have working on the pantry beds are over 65, some way over.  They are suppose to be home, not out running around the community.

Edited by cineater

14 hours ago, cineater said:

My containers are full of veggies.  I'm growing lettuce and cabbage in my hanging baskets.  The bunnies can't get to those.  My patio shelves don't get enough sun this time a year so the containers have to come back in every night for protection.

Fortunately, I didn't catch much of the news this weekend.  It's kind of nice to have a break from it.  I have one more person coming tomorrow and then I'm done with seeing people.  When it's all said and done, I think we are all going to end up being compulsive hand washers.

I have feral male cats all over the place.  Haven't seen my two regulars the last couple of days.

I'm having second thoughts about our pantry beds.  Even if we get them planted, who is going to harvest the food and run it over to the food pantry?  Will the food pantry even stay open and do they want fresh produce from home growers?  Most the people we have working on the pantry beds are over 65, some way over.  They are suppose to be home, not out running around the community.

Nice - you’ve got lots of veggies still!! Great placement to avoid the bunnies, too.

its nice to take a break from the news for sure. I heard a dr on the radio talking about hand washing. They said: ‘it’s not only 20 seconds to wash the virus away.. you’ve always been washing for too short of time.’ Gross!!!!!!!! :lol: So I hope we do stick with the washing!

Maybe Lily and Simone took out your regular ferals? So many new ones! Is that common every spring?

that sucks about the pantry beds. Really doesn’t sound like there’s much option. Here junkies would just move in on the garden, uninvited, and harvest what they need. You certainly don’t want to risk people’s lives though. What times these are.

That's it!  The news is now showing the modification of the Baby Shark song to wash your hands. :lol:  I can't watch that, fuckers.

I want to be done with people coming over to my house for plants.  One of the folks I called is showing signs or she thinks she may have had a mild case and is on the other side.  I'm pretty much wrapping it up today.

As much as I want to help, that's too many hands involved.  We're not to a point where food isn't being mass produced.  Maybe we can do a round of cool season crops in the fall.

That's it!  The news is now showing the modification of the Baby Shark song to wash your hands. :lol:  I can't watch that, fuckers.

I want to be done with people coming over to my house for plants.  One of the folks I called is showing signs or she thinks she may have had a mild case and is on the other side.  I'm pretty much wrapping it up today.

As much as I want to help, that's too many hands involved.  We're not to a point where food isn't being mass produced.  Maybe we can do a round of cool season crops in the fall.

:lol: The original version of Baby Shark was called Shark Attack iirc. It was a camp sing along where various groups would introduce different injuries sustained by the shark attack. So, like "... Bit off my leg do do do do dodo." They should go really back to the original for the virus version! 

I didnt realize you were out there with them. Could you leave something for them to leave their money in? And you stay in? But yeah, please be safe. This sucks!

Great idea for fall sowing. There will only be even more need by then, thats true.

I had a mature basil mysteriously die overnight. So its removed. The others seem mighty as ever though. Curious.

That's strange.  How did the roots look?

I was outside all day.  The tops of my feet are sunburned.  I'm done selling.  I had a bucket of soap water out there and hustled everybody off as fast as I could.

They are going to post my salad bowls on the Extension facebook page.  We'll see if Lily on guard duty makes the newsletter.

Edited by cineater

17 hours ago, cineater said:

That's strange.  How did the roots look?

I was outside all day.  The tops of my feet are sunburned.  I'm done selling.  I had a bucket of soap water out there and hustled everybody off as fast as I could.

They are going to post my salad bowls on the Extension facebook page.  We'll see if Lily on guard duty makes the newsletter.

The roots look fine to me. It got it start n my deep root trays. They direct the roots to go straight so that you dont need to tear and tease the roots the way you often do when transplanting. So its extra gentle on the roots. Digging it up now, they had continued to grow and were already really spreading out into the space. The only thing I can think is that I may have been over harvesting? But I kinda dont think I was. I definitely want to build a better potting mix. Im just using the bag of potting mix currently. 

Sounds nice to be out all day. Poor feet though, hope they dont peel! Its great you had so many customers!

Thats awesome about your salad bowls going in the Facebook page! :headbang:I hope Lily makes it in!

So I open my newish bag of seed starter soil and I find its got white beads of mold all over the top. I had it sealed up and other than that had only scooped out a little bit so far. It sat right next to another bag of soil which is fine. So frustrating because now I cant start my micro greens again. :facepalm: Why on earth is this so difficult?!?! 

I had already just ordered more soil anyways, but still. What a pain in the ass. It only takes a week to grow the greens... but a month to f'n sow the bleeding seeds!! :max::lol: