Gardening

Gracii Guns

Yeah I'm starting to freak a little bit.  We have the plant sale and we have the wedding in June.  The first case in this area decided to break their self quarantine and go to a school father and daughter dance.  Del is in Arizona and worried about flying back due to his age and health.  He may not come home to plant the spring crops.  And people may just start staying home, oh fuck.  It could all not happen.  

I have basil coming up!  The coleus are shooting their roots through the bottom.  They are ready to go in grown and still have two months before that can happen.

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah I'm starting to freak a little bit.  We have the plant sale and we have the wedding in June.  The first case in this area decided to break their self quarantine and go to a school father and daughter dance.  Del is in Arizona and worried about flying back due to his age and health.  He may not come home to plant the spring crops.  And people may just start staying home, oh fuck.  It could all not happen.  

I have basil coming up!  The coleus are shooting their roots through the bottom.  They are ready to go in grown and still have two months before that can happen.

Wow, June is starting to sound very close to now! That wedding will be here before we know it! I really hope it wont be impacted and that people will be able to attend. Someone broke their quarantine to go to a place full of young people no less? Smh. Make sure that you never just assume that Kevin has stayed home due to virus - always check the creek. :lol:

Basil! :dance:

What will you do for that coleus?

Also, did you have another library class that I forgot to ask about? 

I will just water them more often.  I may pot up my personal coleus if I can get them under the lights.

Library classes are done.  I'm waiting for them to reserve their garden tour dates.

The stock market is crashing.  Okay, our new slogan, don't panic.  As Axl says, we're muddling through.  We need to warm up quick.  Have no idea what to do with a public health crisis.  This is going to be different.  You got some books?  Food wise, I always have can goods and boxed stuff.  May make for some interesting food combos.  I guess if it's that bad, we'll just postpone the wedding.  They were going to go to Australia/New Zealand for the honeymoon in October.  By then the virus may be down under so they may have to do that another time.

2 hours ago, cineater said:

I will just water them more often.  I may pot up my personal coleus if I can get them under the lights.

Library classes are done.  I'm waiting for them to reserve their garden tour dates.

The stock market is crashing.  Okay, our new slogan, don't panic.  As Axl says, we're muddling through.  We need to warm up quick.  Have no idea what to do with a public health crisis.  This is going to be different.  You got some books?  Food wise, I always have can goods and boxed stuff.  May make for some interesting food combos.  I guess if it's that bad, we'll just postpone the wedding.  They were going to go to Australia/New Zealand for the honeymoon in October.  By then the virus may be down under so they may have to do that another time.

Oh I misunderstood about the coleus. I thought they were growing too fast. Sounds like they just have too much roots for their size?

Yeah, the Toronto stock exchange is down too. They even paused trading to try and slow the crash. Stop shaking hands and keeping a larger personal space is what I've heard. Plus washing hands of course. I have to admit that having limited potential food options has inspired me to create simple recipes, lol, its kinda fun for me. One trick I thought of is that for my lentil curry/stews I use chicken stock. So I figured I should get all the various broths so I can switch it up if we get stuck in our homes or whatever. So I got Pho, Mushroom, Beef, Ramen and chick broth. Keep things interesting at least.

I bought a large number of pork chops on sale. I chopped up a few and am marinating it in diced ginger, garlic and scallion. With cayenne, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Smells so good :drool: Will pair that with Uncle Bens instant fried rice if SHTF. Also, I am going to eat it today! :lol: And maybe we'll both have all the basil we need too! :headbang:

I really hope that Wedding and Honeymoon can go as planned!

Craig took my Saturday night shift at the greenhouse so I have both shifts on Sunday and the Wednesday night shift.  It's going to be a long 7 weeks. 

I guess people are starting to panic here.  My friend went to Costco and they were kind of hit hard.  A big employer shut down their campus because an employee might have it. (It's the mom of the girl who tested positive.  Helps to know people.) Italy and those people going out when they were supposed to be self quarantine has everyone jumpy.  They are getting threatening calls.  I may be staying home sooner than I thought.  Little worried about my daughter working the hospital.  She works with old people.  Then again if there's a health crisis, her nurse will kick in and she won't be upset about her cancelled wedding.

Checked with Amy to see if there's room in the city automated watering greenhouse to see if there is room for our plants if everybody gets ordered to stay home.  Even if we did save them under that scenario I don't know what we would do with all those plants if we can't sell them.  Give me a minute, always have a backup plan, rarely need it.

Edited by cineater

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Craig took my Saturday night shift at the greenhouse so I have both shifts on Sunday and the Wednesday night shift.  It's going to be a long 7 weeks. 

I guess people are starting to panic here.  My friend went to Costco and they were kind of hit hard.  A big employer shut down their campus because an employee might have it. (It's the mom of the girl who tested positive.  Helps to know people.) Italy and those people going out when they were supposed to be self quarantine has everyone jumpy.  They are getting threatening calls.  I may be staying home sooner than I thought.  Little worried about my daughter working the hospital.  She works with old people.  Then again if there's a health crisis, her nurse will kick in and she won't be upset about her cancelled wedding.

Checked with Amy to see if there's room in the city automated watering greenhouse to see if there is room for our plants if everybody gets ordered to stay home.  Even if we did save them under that scenario I don't know what we would do with all those plants if we can't sell them.  Give me a minute, always have a backup plan, rarely need it.

Saturday night at the green house sounds like heaven! Yeah, youre gonna be going hard!

That is a concern for your daughter. Thats scary. She's trained to protect herself way better than the rest of us at least. And thats an interesting take about if her wedding needs to be cancelled - shes good people. Ill keep her in my thoughts.

Why does everyone keep leaving the quarantines? Especially the at-home ones - just relax a bit, learn a new skill. Whats the big deal?

Yeah, one still cant find sanitizer anywhere here. Its sold out. We have about 70 cases in the country. 35 of which are in my province, but none where i live. One death. Tim Hortons did cancel the annual tradition of Roll Up The Rim To Win. The paper coffee cups rims get unrolled to reveal a prize. Which sucks, but its nothing like the situation elsewhere. And our economy was already facing some unprecedented strains, so we are screwed on that front, no doubt. 

Always with the back up plan - I hope that you can get all those plants under the automated watering! What a shame it would be to loose all that work and beautiful plants. I dont know if the sale is cancelled, could any indoor plants be gifted to COVID-19 patients in the hospital? Prolly a long shot on that one? Or old folk homes in general?

Maybe youd like to join me in growing micro greens when you are staying in? That way you can eat your unique combos of canned foods and still have fresh greens to eat?

Also, youll wanna get that toilet out of your shower! :lol:

It's getting a little crazy.  Couldn't have seen that coming.  As long as we have options, we'll figure out something.  There's always people to give plants to.  We can hold them until June but they aren't going to like being in those little pots.  Hopefully this passes through quickly.  

Looked outside this morning and realized the grass is green.  It was getting there but it's here!

I'm fighting off a cold or spring allergies.

Got a text message from Team Biden.  Without my glasses on name recognition went somewhere else.  Who?   It's Team Brazil, what's the backup plan? :lol:

Edited by cineater

2 hours ago, cineater said:

It's getting a little crazy.  Couldn't have seen that coming.  As long as we have options, we'll figure out something.  There's always people to give plants to.  We can hold them until June but they aren't going to like being in those little pots.  Hopefully this passes through quickly.  

Looked outside this morning and realized the grass is green.  It was getting there but it's here!

I'm fighting off a cold or spring allergies.

Got a text message from Team Biden.  Without my glasses on name recognition went somewhere else.  Who?   It's Team Brazil, what's the backup plan? :lol:

This must be tense for you as a plant mom :lol: No, but I really hope you can find somewhere safe for them and that they survive the little pots. So much unknown we all face currently.

Cant wait to see green grass!

Cold and allergies at once. Ugh. Feel better soon :) 

Haha, they should consult you on a back up plan! :lol:

I'm over freaking out about the virus.  Have my backup plans.  We'll just play it by ear and muddle through.  As long as I don't have to camp out at the greenhouse so we can water, we'll manage.

Must have kicked whatever was trying to take hold.  Went back to taking my zinc.  Skip it pretty often because the pill is just so damn big.

I threw away the plastic tub my hamburg comes in.  It's black so I can't recycle it but if I put a few holes in there, it could be grown in.  Might be another option for you instead of ordering stuff.  Have enough groceries I could be here for a month.  I don't eat all that much.

Of course I have a backup plan for GNR.  Axl won't care too much for it but if I'm willing to lay out some cash, it would probably go over with the rest of the world.

I'm coming up with a whole educational plan for the gardens next year.  Roll right out of one event and into the next.  Take us all the way through to the fall.  I'm asking Jill to be my colead over the gardens and telling her not to tell anybody I'm looking for one.  There's people who want the job but I don't think we would work well together.

47 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm over freaking out about the virus.  Have my backup plans.  We'll just play it by ear and muddle through.  As long as I don't have to camp out at the greenhouse so we can water, we'll manage.

Must have kicked whatever was trying to take hold.  Went back to taking my zinc.  Skip it pretty often because the pill is just so damn big.

I threw away the plastic tub my hamburg comes in.  It's black so I can't recycle it but if I put a few holes in there, it could be grown in.  Might be another option for you instead of ordering stuff.  Have enough groceries I could be here for a month.  I don't eat all that much.

Of course I have a backup plan for GNR.  Axl won't care too much for it but if I'm willing to lay out some cash, it would probably go over with the rest of the world.

I'm coming up with a whole educational plan for the gardens next year.  Roll right out of one event and into the next.  Take us all the way through to the fall.  I'm asking Jill to be my colead over the gardens and telling her not to tell anybody I'm looking for one.  There's people who want the job but I don't think we would work well together.

Its so difficult to know what to expect and how to prepare and adjust, eh? So we can just do our best. But you've got a lot on your plate with regards to the virus. Glad you are happy to take it all in stride.

Glad you are already feeling better! I cant do even medium pills. I have a liquid multivitamin I drink daily. I hate that too, even, tbh! And I make a magnesium spray to spray on my skin. Its one of the only things that absorbs well through the skin as far as I understand though. Too bad!

I took your tip and bought some mushrooms that come in a black tub. The ground beef at my grocer comes on a white styrofoam tray, so that wont work here. I also saw a very cheap seed starter set at the grocery store. It might be the phase two of dipping my toe into growing micro greens. And then hopefully my terracotta with drilled holes works. 

Whats your back up plan for GNR? 

The whole educational plan?!?! You are a machine! That must be fun though! Perfect for you. 

Beaker is still afraid of strangers. I guess that might not change at this point? He catches on quick when someone I dont know comes by. He hides and then is tentative after they leave. And he needs to do a full inspection of where they were standing/sitting, while also needing emotional support from me. Poor guy. If its someone that I know, or that he also knows, he's social. So thats good at least.

Finally my basil is ready to clip! 

Posted my GNR backup plan at HTGTH.  It's probably been cut to shreds by now or totally ignored. :lol:  I sent my 2021 plan to Justin.  Probably the same thing will happen with that plan.

Hard to know what to do with the virus situation.  Angels get called home when there's a crisis, fortunately I'm no angel. :lol:  I worry about the kid and my mother and you.

Lily doesn't like strangers either especially visiting dogs.  Simone is kind of like, leave me alone, I'm not interested in you.

We could do youtube videos of the plants and take online orders.  I'm not sure how we would keep track of the inventory numbers though.  Do them in groups and keep the videos to a half hour each.

Edited by cineater

17 hours ago, cineater said:

Posted my GNR backup plan at HTGTH.  It's probably been cut to shreds by now or totally ignored. :lol:  I sent my 2021 plan to Justin.  Probably the same thing will happen with that plan.

Hard to know what to do with the virus situation.  Angels get called home when there's a crisis, fortunately I'm no angel. :lol:  I worry about the kid and my mother and you.

Lily doesn't like strangers either especially visiting dogs.  Simone is kind of like, leave me alone, I'm not interested in you.

We could do youtube videos of the plants and take online orders.  I'm not sure how we would keep track of the inventory numbers though.  Do them in groups and keep the videos to a half hour each.

Sounds like my posts too :lol: I might hop over there to read it. I hope Justin takes your lead. Its funny because its common for people to refer to our Prime Minister simply as "Justin" so I thought for a second that you sent your gnr plan to Canadas leader :lol:. I worked with a guy who tweets invites to one of our politicians to every single social event he attends, just for a laugh. So I guess that made it seem even more likely that you reached out to our leaders too :lol:

You've got a great way with words, Cin. Id argue that you might just hide your halo. I appreciate your concern. It is a real threat for me, but so far no virus here yet.

I offered the contractor that Beaker hid from a bunch of fresh basil to take home... he looked at me like I had two heads. :lol:

Making videos is a great idea - like a live stream shopping channel! Good ad for the garden in general. And yeah, limit the quantity per sale. I think they do that on shopping channel too?

I stay away from that shopping channel.  I get into enough trouble on Amazon without anybody making suggestions.  Yeah I'm not talking to the Canadian Prime Minister, never rule out a fuck up though. :lol:

It's a wait and see game at this point.  All the foster kid fundraising and appreciation events is being cancelled.  Can't risk the kids and can't expose the staff.  I may be sitting at home just because everything is cancelled.

Hot in that greenhouse today.  I cut out at 1.  We're still transplanting.  I go back in a bit for the trainee class.  We're going into 10 days of rain so that should slow down the watering.  We may have to kick on the big lights.

55 minutes ago, cineater said:

I stay away from that shopping channel.  I get into enough trouble on Amazon without anybody making suggestions.  Yeah I'm not talking to the Canadian Prime Minister, never rule out a fuck up though. :lol:

It's a wait and see game at this point.  All the foster kid fundraising and appreciation events is being cancelled.  Can't risk the kids and can't expose the staff.  I may be sitting at home just because everything is cancelled.

Hot in that greenhouse today.  I cut out at 1.  We're still transplanting.  I go back in a bit for the trainee class.  We're going into 10 days of rain so that should slow down the watering.  We may have to kick on the big lights.

Yeah, cancellations are piling up fast. We got our first case where I live today. I guy got it when he travelled to a conference. Our PM spoke there too :facepalm:. It feels different now that it’s here. 

As far as I understand the virus can’t survive heat. So a hot green house might be a very safe spot? At least in the heat of mid day, maybe?

That’s too much rain for me! So, the moisture in the air from the rain gets into the greenhouse and slows down the watering needs? Neat.

No, the sun doesn't come out so they don't drink as much.  There's no room in the greenhouse for social distance.  We're right on top of each other so anybody coughing is going right in your face.  Good thing, your hands are dirty most the time or full so you aren't touching your face.  And we have bleach water, hydro spray and hand sanitizer.  I'm waiting for somebody to rip that off.  Yeah it gets a different feel when it hits your town.

Make Lily leave me alone!  She's wild and all over me.  Plus she has static so we are shocking each other.  I had my daughter bring the dog in the house just to get Lily to go back under the bed. :lol:

I've got the class and watering tonight.  Val is the speaker and she has a really good class so I may stay for the whole thing.  The library only took 4 of the 7 garden tours but I'm betting those get cancelled due to the virus.

Edited by cineater

No, the sun doesn't come out so they don't drink as much. 

Man, how could I be such a bozo?!?! :facepalm::lol: Ive truly become an indoor gardener, havent I?

No, the sun doesn't come out so they don't drink as much.  There's no room in the greenhouse for social distance.  We're right on top of each other so anybody coughing is going right in your face.  Good thing, your hands are dirty most the time or full so you aren't touching your face.  And we have bleach water, hydro spray and hand sanitizer.  I'm waiting for somebody to rip that off.  Yeah it gets a different feel when it hits your town.

Make Lily leave me alone!  She's wild and all over me.  Plus she has static so we are shocking each other.  I had my daughter bring the dog in the house just to get Lily to go back under the bed. :lol:

I've got the class and watering tonight.  Val is the speaker and she has a really good class so I may stay for the whole thing.  The library only took 4 of the 7 garden tours but I'm betting those get cancelled due to the virus.

I didnt think about how many of you there are in the greenhouse. But yeah I guess us gardeners dont have the social custom of shaking hands either since they're always dirty.

Haha, poor Lily gets chased away! :lol: She's still shedding? I can relate abut the static shocks. I put some large plastic storage totes on my work bench and it turns out the lip on the lids provide the perfect size and shape for him to curl up in. And they make him so static-y. And thats where he is when he wants to be pet.

Aww, that will be a shame if they get cancelled. How did the watering class go?

It is hard not to buy into all the hype around the virus.  Everybody is on alert.  Watching all kinds of shit getting cancelled.  Not even going to look at my retirement investments.

I wish you were in class some where.  You are so into this, thinking all the time.  But even without the classes, you are a gardener and know a lot of shit!

The girls are just crazy and shedding.  They are ready to go.  

We got reminded, no eating in the greenhouse.  It attracts bugs.  Marsha gave the students who are coming to class early a watering lesson but it is going to rain all next week so I've called my evening crews off.  I'm wondering if we should keep seeding.  The peppers and tomatoes haven't been started yet.  We do those on the 20th.  But if the plant sale is going to crash.  Hard to know what to do at this point.  We do have the option of a fall plant sale and I guess we could push that enough to get seed money for next years plant sale

1 hour ago, cineater said:

It is hard not to buy into all the hype around the virus.  Everybody is on alert.  Watching all kinds of shit getting cancelled.  Not even going to look at my retirement investments.

I wish you were in class some where.  You are so into this, thinking all the time.  But even without the classes, you are a gardener and know a lot of shit!

The girls are just crazy and shedding.  They are ready to go.  

We got reminded, no eating in the greenhouse.  It attracts bugs.  Marsha gave the students who are coming to class early a watering lesson but it is going to rain all next week so I've called my evening crews off.  I'm wondering if we should keep seeding.  The peppers and tomatoes haven't been started yet.  We do those on the 20th.  But if the plant sale is going to crash.  Hard to know what to do at this point.  We do have the option of a fall plant sale and I guess we could push that enough to get seed money for next years plant sale

Grocery store was crazy again. And the worst is being brought out. I was short $4 at the checkout (literally the amount I gave away on the way to the store) and no one offered to chip in. Many people saw this and just grumbled about it taking a second to subtract the cheese from my bill. I would never think twice to cover it for someone if I saw that. They all looked like they had it too. I mean, Im fine and all, but observing that was ugly.

Those investments will hopefully bounce back before too long?? :unsure:

Really tough call about the seeding. I dont know what Id do. But you should get in on the micro greens thing with me if you will have space under your lights!

My space is reserved for marigold's for the parks.

I don't worry about investments, it's a long range plan with highs and lows.  It's the people who live on that income who freak out.  If it all crashes through the floor I'm in the same boat as everybody else, we're fucked, lol.

Del's calling.  I think he's going to shelter in place in Arizona and planning the cool season veggies is going to fall under my direction.  Oh fuck!

1 hour ago, cineater said:

My space is reserved for marigold's for the parks.

I don't worry about investments, it's a long range plan with highs and lows.  It's the people who live on that income who freak out.  If it all crashes through the floor I'm in the same boat as everybody else, we're fucked, lol.

Del's calling.  I think he's going to shelter in place in Arizona and planning the cool season veggies is going to fall under my direction.  Oh fuck!

So then its now up to you to decide if you seed the plants?

I looked at my receipt and noticed that a glitch meant that I was over charged for soups. So I had to go back and it took them over 30 minutes to confirm Id been over charged. As if anyone, let alone grocery store staff, cant figure that 5 cans of campbells doesnt cost $20. I had to instruct the manager along with a group of staff as to how to go about finding the price :facepalm:. Its not difficult people. One option was to look at the products price on the online shopping part of their website... They looked at me like "We have a web site??" :facepalm: No-one ever apologized either. They were all like two steps removed from reality. Was creepy. Eventually I just stood there projecting that 'I aint leaving.' And it was that rather than easily verifiable facts - such as looking at the shelf to see the listed price - that got me my refund. Dont get between me and my cheese, bishes :lol:

What we seed and sell is up to Marsha.  Del plants our pantry beds.  Sorry should have said planting not planning.  He's trying to get people to adopt a raised bed and will instruct them what to do.  Good plan because that's what I would have done.  He hasn't cancelled his flight yet.  I don't think he can stay away especially with it being a political year, he's very active in politics.

They are even cancelling Farmers Markets.  The city is banning events over 1000.  It's all just shutting down.  It won't stay this way forever but it's starting to get freaky.

It amazes me what the people in charge don't know and can't figure out.  So you got your cheese.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

What we seed and sell is up to Marsha.  Del plants our pantry beds.  Sorry should have said planting not planning.  He's trying to get people to adopt a raised bed and will instruct them what to do.  Good plan because that's what I would have done.  He hasn't cancelled his flight yet.  I don't think he can stay away especially with it being a political year, he's very active in politics.

They are even cancelling Farmers Markets.  The city is banning events over 1000.  It's all just shutting down.  It won't stay this way forever but it's starting to get freaky.

It amazes me what the people in charge don't know and can't figure out.  So you got your cheese.

Our PM is in self isolation for the next two weeks since his wife has the virus. The Province has set up 6 intake stations for testing across the province. So good news/bad news, one of them is here. Good, because if I need it I wont have to travel. Bad because the experts must figure that we will be hit hard.

Im just reading the morning news, but Im not aware of any new rules about gatherings or cancellations here yet. Sucks for the farmers that the market is closed! Hope the food doesn't go to waste. 

Speaking of farmers markets, Im worried for the temporary foreign workers who come here from poor countries to work the farms. They would be really in trouble if they got sick.

I guess your Chicago concert is cancelled?

About half my kale is elbowing. How is your basil?

Little basils popping up everywhere.  The coleus are getting their fertilizer too.  Trying to slow down their growth isn't working, lol.

I have steering committee this morning.  Please let this be less than a 3 hour meeting.  I'm sitting on all the group activities I have planned and figuring I will have to cancel them.  I've mentioned them but not really promoted them.  Not building an excitement into them or pushing for the group to build off of them.  Also have the Extension awards dinner tonight that I'm thinking nobody is coming to.  People are just not showing up.

We didn't buy any tickets yet so I'm not keeping track of the concerts.  I'm planning on greenhouse sitting a lot, lol.  The library cancelled all their programing for March.  Wondering how long all this will last.  I think the wedding will be a go.  My daughter is getting excited.  She has me booked for several appointments with her.  Relieved I'm stepping up to say I'm paying for that.